chrisjake

It Must Suck Living In Iraq Now

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:26 am

i cannot imagine...

if you're a pro-U.S. Iraqi, you have to be watchful of insurgents and kidnappings etc.. if you're a anti-U.S. Iraqi, you have to be on the lookout for troops. bombs can go off at anytime, you might get your head sawed off, there's not enough electricity to go around, there can't be much work to be had....and if you DO have a job, you have to be careful how you get to it. it seems like folks in Iraq have to constantly watch over their shoulder.

i am in no way saying that it was better beforehand, i'm just saying that it cant be easy being there now.

have there ever been any A.net members from Iraq? if so, has anyone heard from them?

chris

jaysit

RE: It Must Suck Living In Iraq Now

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:38 am

It must suck living in Iraq now?

You must be a pro-Clinton, commie, pinko traitor. And Godless (of course).

The Iraqi people have been liberated of WMDs, Saddam Hussein, tyranny, Islamic fundamentalism, sand storms, Pia Zadora films and Hello Kitty knock-offs.

Their lives are now beauteous, rightful, free, liberating and their fingers are marked with the liberating joy of purple ink. And its so much fun trying to find their fingers in a pile of rubble. They enjoy it so much and say "praise be to Allah, because this finger finding game is so much fun." "Even more so when done on one leg."
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Marco

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:41 am

Well I'm from Iraq. Only visited when I was younger but I was born in Kuwait, grew up in Dubai and Montreal. I live in Montreal now. I'm an Assyrian Iraqi, we've been in this land for millenia and we still speak Aramaic, the language of Christ. We are almost all Christian and number up to one million in Iraq. With regards to my family, the few remaining family members left last month to Damascus and are waiting to immigrate to Australia. They couldn't stay in Baghdad anymore after we lost a cousin. Life is very hard in Baghdad and the south. But from what I hear, the northern areas where Assyrians and Kurds live are relatively peaceful and moderate. Hope that wasn't too boring!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Bofredrik

Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:15 am

Many in Iraq think it was better with Saddam.
So what does that tell you Bush lovers?

EMBQA

Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 3):
Many in Iraq think it was better with Saddam.

Provide one main stream news source that says just that....

I met a young couple from Iraq a few years back. They told me "My wife and I are the only two alive from our village. All the rest Saddam gassed and killed"

Better off....???? Please...They are still finding mass graves of all the thousands.. now maybe millions he killed.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

ManuCH
Crew

Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:34 am

Uh-oh, I was afraid this would turn in a "War in Iraq - good or bad?" thread. And I think it will

Anyway, of course "it must suck living in Iraq now". At least I know that I wouldn't want to be there. Heck, it's a war zone! I doubt anyone expected that it would have been much better than what it is now. It will take years to make it halfway livable again (yes, again, because apparently some of "the common people" in Iraq were living better with Saddam - it would be interesting talking to them directly to find out). No, I don't have a source for that, it's just a gut feeling and some news sites here and there. But certainly it's hard to imagine Iraq in a worse shape than what it is today.

And no, I wouldn't want to live there - neither with Saddam, nor now. Of course democracy is "better", at least that's what I believe, but what we've seen is that it's not easy to "force" a country to become democratic. I certainly hope for the Iraqi people that all this will be over soon.

-Manuel

[Edited 2006-06-16 22:35:33]
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

GuitrThree

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:29 am

Like it was EVER good to live in Iraq.

Geeze..

This is a NEW day for Iraq. Was it "good" to live here in the USA during the Revolutionary War? The Civil War? Of course not. But when the day comes, and it will, when Iraqi citizens can roam free in their streets and enjoy a capitalistic democracy (republic) just like we do here in the USA, yes, it will be better. But to say its any worse off today than the days of Saddam ordering mass graves and open rapes of women, yea. Get a clue. Quit watching the media and listening to the democrats. And better yet, don't come here to A.net and start asking opinions. Why don't you go down to your nearest Guard unit, or the like, and ask some people who have been there. They might give you a better picture than some A.net teen-ager or whatcked out lefty who just read the latest moveon.org blog and listened to Nancy Pelosi.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

lhrmaccoll

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:11 am

Funny that all the blunders possible have been quickly ironed out by two individuals in this thread in a ploy to defend the USA - which doesn't need defending I might add.
Of course, I'm sure you two agree that on the basis of a couple of news stories you've seen on CNN and some very biased opinions, Bush has answered everyones prayers, and unleashed a bounteous, beautious, free and peaceful..... civil war.
Lovely Juvvly
Alex

Newark777

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:17 am

So what does that tell you Bush lovers?

It tells me that a lot of people in Iraq also think the Western World is evil and should die. So a lot of their rhetoric doesn't mean much to me.

Quoting Lhrmaccoll (Reply 7):
Of course, I'm sure you two agree that on the basis of a couple of news stories you've seen on CNN and some very biased opinions, Bush has answered everyones prayers, and unleashed a bounteous, beautious, free and peaceful..... civil war.

Nice of you to generalize. Thanks for your unintelligent post.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

lhrmaccoll

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
Nice of you to generalize. Thanks for your unintelligent post.

No, not intelligent.
Just not filtered like the crap you read

nkops

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:49 am

Yes, it must suck now, like it did before.

I just hope someday that it gets straightened out. I bet it would be a neat place to visit (when its cleaned up) because of all the history in that part of the world (if it hasn't been blown to bits)
:evil:

Newark777

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting Lhrmaccoll (Reply 9):
Just not filtered like the crap you read

Again, you have no idea what I read. Which is why your post is unintelligent, as you agreed with yourself:

Quoting Lhrmaccoll (Reply 9):
No, not intelligent.

Harry

legoguy

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:03 am

Quoting Marco (Reply 2):

Quoting Marco (Reply 2):
Hope that wasn't too boring!

Not at all, thanks for sharing, sorry to hear about your cousin. Good to hear the rest of the family is going to Austrailia, hopefully life will be easier there!
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

jaysit

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Well, Iraq as a modern political entity is pretty much dead anyways. Its something the British cobbled together from the ruins of the Ottoman empire, that Saddam held together by sheer brute force and that the Americans will never be able to hold together because you now have the Shia, Sunni and the Kurds all demanding what was denied to them for over a hundred years.

Back in 1984, being a Kurd in Iraq was probably akin to being a Jew under Hitler (no thanks to the US Republicans who were busy feting Saddam while he was committing gross genocide); today being an Arab of Sunni or Shia persuasion in Baghdad means living under the threat of death by terrorism.

Saddam wiped out 300,000+ innocents over 10 years in the '80s; post-2003, 100,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed. Which is worse? All depends who you are, right?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

KSYR

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 13):
100,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed. Which is worse? All depends who you are, right?

Actually, a more realistic estimate is 30,000. The 100,000 figure is widely believed to be grossly exaggerated.

Quoting Lhrmaccoll (Reply 7):
Funny that all the blunders possible have been quickly ironed out by two individuals in this thread in a ploy to defend the USA - which doesn't need defending I might add.

And why doesn't the USA need defending...?

ANCFlyer

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting Chrisjake (Thread starter):
It Must Suck Living In Iraq Now

Did you just arrive from another planet or have you recently come out of a coma?? Blinding flash of the "no shit".

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 1):

yawn  Same Jaysit, different day.

yawn  Same Bofredrik different day.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 6):

Oh, hell, GuitrThree, of course it was . . . plenty of everything, including mass murders, gassings, kidnappings, rapes (please see Saddam's two male devil spwn for this one), torture, hell, it was a varitable paradise before Saddam went away.  sarcastic 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Delta767300ER

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:47 pm

Quote:
Well I'm from Iraq. Only visited when I was younger but I was born in Kuwait, grew up in Dubai and Montreal. I live in Montreal now. I'm an Assyrian Iraqi, we've been in this land for millenia and we still speak Aramaic, the language of Christ. We are almost all Christian and number up to one million in Iraq. With regards to my family, the few remaining family members left last month to Damascus and are waiting to immigrate to Australia. They couldn't stay in Baghdad anymore after we lost a cousin. Life is very hard in Baghdad and the south. But from what I hear, the northern areas where Assyrians and Kurds live are relatively peaceful and moderate. Hope that wasn't too boring!

Kuwait looks like a beautiful country and I hope to visit someday. That is awesome that your from that area of the world. I knew their was a sizable Christian population in Northern Iraq but not that large. I noticed how you said your Assyrian and a Christian, Are you Chaldean? Anyway, I hope and pray your family gets to Australia safely.

-Delta767300ER

Bofredrik

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
I met a young couple from Iraq a few years back. They told me "My wife and I are the only two alive from our village. All the rest Saddam gassed and killed"

Do not belive all what Kurds say to you...

TERRA

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:54 pm

Yeahs it sucks for most of the nation at moment.

It sucked less under Saddam for many.

It may suck less in 5 years time after a few more tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Oh, hell, GuitrThree, of course it was . . . plenty of everything, including mass murders, gassings, kidnappings, rapes (please see Saddam's two male devil spwn for this one), torture, hell, it was a varitable paradise before Saddam went away.

Yes it was for many. (despite the torture and persecution which did happen but to a minority) Baghdad was the Las Vegas of the Gulf for a while and if you were a Sunni you were sorted. Most Shias in Baghdad weren't living in fear either. It was a case of go about your business, keep your eyes open to potential trouble, keep your trap shut and you'd be allright.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
Provide one main stream news source that says just that....

Oh please, if it's not on CNN it can't be true. There is so much going on that is not in the media. No US media wants to show an Iraqis stating they were better off under Saddam. However sit at the coffee shop smoking sheesha with real Iraqis and some will say this.

And better yet, don't come here to A.net and start asking opinions. Why don't you go down to your nearest Guard unit, or the like, and ask some people who have been there.

Yeah like they know what it's like for an Iraqi............ They know what it's like to walk on the street in fear but they still return to their hooch each evening and get fed at the DFAC and shop at the PX everyday. Yeah they know what its like to live in Iraq worrying that their family are at risk, or trying to get food on the table or trying to support the family with little income.................. I know many service men and women who never left camp and didn't even meet an Iraqi during their time in country.

Saddam did a lot for Iraq before he went off the rails. The majority had jobs, free education through to University, state hospitals etc. Infant death rates dropped and child literacy increased significantly.

I am not ignoring the bad things Saddam did but objectively you need to be aware that a large number of Iraqis didn't live in fear under Saddam (despite all the US propaganda would like you to believe) and these people will now say they were better off under Saddam. On the flip side those who were victims under Saddam will be glad that he has gone but you can guess who is more vocal and gets airtime on the media.

Now before anyone tries to shoot me down, i want to state that i am glad that Saddam was toppled and feel that things will be better off in the distant future for the entire nation. However we need to be objective when A.netters attempt to imagine what an Iraqi is thinking when all the information you are judging them by is the drival you get from the media. Nothing you see or read in the media can help you get into the minds of the Iraqi populace.

Many are glad Saddam's gone but a large number would also want him back.

Marco

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:56 pm

I noticed how you said your Assyrian and a Christian, Are you Chaldean

Well basically both the Assyrians and Chaldeans speak Aramaic. The only major difference between us is the church we follow. They follow the Catholic church whereas we follow the Nestorian church, one of the oldest if not the oldest church in the world. Most Chaldeans can be found in Detroit while most Assyrians can be found in Chicago! Most people refer to us as the Assyrio-Chaldeans ... There is still about a million left, yet the media and the US government conveniently shuns us. No one mentions our plight, how our language is being destroyed, etc ...
Proud to be an Assyrian!

chrisjake

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Did you just arrive from another planet or have you recently come out of a coma?? Blinding flash of the "no shit".

has anyone ever been able to start a conversation with you without some useless drivel?

...you must be alot of fun to sit with at a bar...  Yeah sure

SDLSimme

Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
It tells me that a lot of people in Iraq also think the Western World is evil and should die. So a lot of their rhetoric doesn't mean much to me.

So are you saying that because a minority of the people in that region hates the western world with a passion, you don't listen to what any of the entire population has to say?
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

ANCFlyer

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 20):
has anyone ever been able to start a conversation with you without some useless drivel?

Many many people have had the pleasure . . .

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 20):
...you must be alot of fun to sit with at a bar...

I'm a hoot - c'mon up, I'll buy the beers, and we can talk til the sun goes down - that'll be some time in August.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

chrisjake

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
c'mon up, I'll buy the beers

its always been a place i've always wanted to visit, i may just take you up on that......as long as i can get some of that Alaskan Amber or Smoked Porter.

ANCFlyer

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 23):
as long as i can get some of that Alaskan Amber or Smoked Porter.

Deal.

I prefer the Amber, an Alt . . . but I hear the Porter is great as well.

Newark777

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting SDLSimme (Reply 21):

So are you saying that because a minority of the people in that region hates the western world with a passion, you don't listen to what any of the entire population has to say?

So are you saying that because a few people say Iraq was better beforehand, that is the whole country's perspective?

Harry

SDLSimme

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 25):
So are you saying that because a few people say Iraq was better beforehand, that is the whole country's perspective?

Harry

No, I'm not. I don't think it was good to live in Iraq before and I don't think it's good to live there now. When Saddam was in power, there was some sort of security. Sure, some minorities were being treated terribly and I'm glad that they don't have to be afraid of Saddam's terror anymore. However, the situation in Iraq now is far from stable. Every day you hear of people getting killed in bombings and such.

I'm not saying that everything was better with Saddam, because I think that we all can agree that it was not. I think it was good that he was brought away from power. The invasion did create a big mess though, and I can't really see how the US is going to solve it.

The point is: for some people Saddam was better and for some people he was not. The sad thing is that the news in the US don't show the people who think that things were safer with Saddam in power (I have spent a year in the US and compared the Swedish news to the American so don't say that I have no idea what I'm talking about).
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,