AR385
Topic Author

Teaching Religion

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:13 pm

The other Sunday, as the moderate Catholic I am, I went to church. As I left, I went to brunch with a couple of married friends of mine. Since I'm single at 33, I'm always getting these invitations. Some misplaced idea that is their responsibility to make sure I have fun on Sunday. Specially after a recent break-up.

Oh well, the issue is that these friends of mine are evangelical and methodist.

A few times, the children of my friends have asked me to tell them about Catholicism. As far as I know, it's been their own idea. I feel uncomfortable sharing or teaching my faith to children whose parents don't know about me doing that.

On the other hand, do I as a Roman Catholic have a right and an obligation to spread my faith no matter who's on the receiving end?

MYT332

RE: Teaching Religion

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:24 pm

Why don't you just speak to the parents, your friends, about it? I doubt it'd be such a big issue. As a child during school I was taught about all different religions whilst being at a Catholic school.

I'm wouldn't say you should force your faith on anybody, you know what happens to jehovah witnesses when they come knocking on your door!

Sadly I'm not even a moderate Catholic like yourself. The only time I visit church is for weddings, funerals or on Christmas Eve if I'm drunk. So maybe I'm not the best person for advice but I say just ask the parents first.
One Life, Live it.

TedTAce

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:11 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 1):
Why don't you just speak to the parents, your friends, about it?

checkmark   thumbsup   checkmark   thumbsup   checkmark   thumbsup   checkmark   thumbsup 

Just say hey, 'you know your kids are asking; what do you want me to tell them?' They will either say nothing, everything, or something in-between. My suggestion make them read EVERY word of the bible with nothing but a dictionary to help them out. If that doesn't make them an agnostic, nothing will.
This space intentionally left blank

HAWK21M

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:28 am

Quoting AR385 (Thread starter):
On the other hand, do I as a Roman Catholic have a right and an obligation to spread my faith no matter who's on the receiving end

As A Roman Catholic Living in a Country of Various Religons.If Someone Asks I tell If not I Dont.
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)