rootsair

Togo: Do They Deserve To Be In The World Cup?

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:18 pm

We have heard quite a lot about the Togo football team and their story with money. They wanted to be paid as much as Agrntinian players but their federation didn't have the money. since the Togo federation didn't pay any money they went on strike and didn't go to practise. This lead their coach to renounce before coming back a few days later!
And now its the best....they still haven't been paid as much as they weanted to so they threatened to boycott their game against the Swiss. However under pressure by the FIFA(banning from current world cup and South africa 2010) they will finally play.

I really want Switzerland to beat Togo not only because I grew up here so very naturally support the Swiss but also because a team that thinks only about money and is not already greatful that the best pay is to participate in a world cup doesn't deserve to participate

[Edited 2006-06-19 12:18:51]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

ZRH

RE: Togo: Do They Deserve To Be In The World Cup?

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Most African teams have really good and great players. But the football associations are often very chaotic. This is a big problem of the African football, not only in Togo. I almost can not wait for the match and I hope that Switzerland will win with more than one goal difference (with that, a tie against Korea would be enough to proceed).

airxliban

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:58 pm

I've got a bet going whereby if Togo get the round of 16 I have to pay my mate £100, so here's hoping that they don't make it on account of Airxliban's wallet  Wink
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

airxliban

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:04 pm

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if Togo didn't play Switzerland, logistically speaking? Would Switzerland get three points? How many goals would they receive, in the event that they were tied for second place (even if that's not possible if they win).
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

LSPA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:08 pm

hopp schwiiz!

i also hope that our team can win this match. I think Switzerland really developped themselves concerning soccer. Compare the team they had in '94 with the team they have now....it's a huge difference in skill and teamplay.
They would really deserve getting to the last 16.
~reach for the sky!

ZRH

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 3):
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if Togo didn't play Switzerland, logistically speaking? Would Switzerland get three points? How many goals would they receive, in the event that they were tied for second place (even if that's not possible if they win).

I think if Togo did not play, FIFA would have to disqualify them and annul the match they already have played against Korea or let the other teams (Switzerland, France and Korea) win by 3:0.

VH-KCT*

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 5):
I think if Togo did not play, FIFA would have to disqualify them and annul the match they already have played against Korea or let the other teams (Switzerland, France and Korea) win by 3:0.

Which could result in more problems!

If France went to the round of 16, they would have had an extra-long rest.
Switzerland would have a rest before they played Korea.
Korea is effectively stripped of a win (in that everybody is given that win despite only Korea playing the match).

Should it happen, FIFA might just direct all enquiries to the Togolese FA  silly 
I am The Stig

Sabena332

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:03 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Togo: Do They Deserve To Be In The World Cup?

Easy answer: Yes, they qualified so they deserve to be in.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

HBDAN

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:05 pm

I think it's really sad to pay extra money to the players in a WC. They should be paid a fix amount per year + an extra fix amount for the WC. The love to your country, the excitement to be there, to play for your country knowing that all people at home are supporting you... That should make you run in a competition like the WC, not the win-prize, goal-prize or any other prize!

Regards,
HBDAN
Next flight: hopefully soon...

TheSunseeker

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:12 pm

The WC is a special show. Its not nessasary, its a luxury.
I believe poor countries should not play. It costs alot to be part of this hype. Poor countries should invest their money on more important topics!

Though I agree, there are some fantastic african players.

Ben
RSA: Dont drink and drive - take the train and get mugged

ZRH

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting TheSunseeker (Reply 9):
The WC is a special show. Its not nessasary, its a luxury.
I believe poor countries should not play. It costs alot to be part of this hype. Poor countries should invest their money on more important topics!

Actually every participating country gets about 5 mi € only for starting. This is not luxury but very well needed money for poor countries.

planesarecool

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 2):
I've got a bet going whereby if Togo get the round of 16 I have to pay my mate £100, so here's hoping that they don't make it on account of Airxliban's wallet

Lucky you, i put a £10 bet that they would win the world cup at 384/1. Unfortunately, they fell at the first hurdle  Sad  Wink

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 7):
Easy answer: Yes, they qualified so they deserve to be in.

checkmark