...says the brilliant US government.

read

rubbish...

[Edited 2006-06-20 09:12:04]

scbriml

RE: Homosexuality Classified As "mental Disorder"

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:23 pm

Sounds right to me. You'd have to be mad to not want sex with a woman! duck 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

gkirk

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:25 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 1):

yes 
 duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

TedTAce

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

2 things

1. Foxnews.com
2. "A Pentagon document"

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Anyone biting on this thread as a reactionary will automatically be removed from my RU.
This space intentionally left blank

cxsjr

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:33 pm

Unbelievable, but then isn't it well known that Bush, specifically, is homophobic anyway?

Another example of the Bush administration getting their words mixed up; when it comes to this issue, do you live in a democracy or hypocrisy!

mad 

Is it the fact that the US is such a religious nation compared to so many others in the western world that puts it so far behind in equality for gay people (again compared to other western nations)?
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

rolfen

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Quoting FXramper (Thread starter):
Homosexuality Classified As "mental Disorder"

It's a bit late for that...
rolf

LTU932

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:26 pm

The retard who came to this conclusion should be shot. This pentagon classification is pure and utter bullshit.

And I thought that according to the US constitution, all men and women are created equal. Doesn't equality also include that you cannot discriminate people by their sexuality? It doesn't matter if you're bisexual, gay or straight, this is not a reason for discrimination, in fact, there should be no discrimination at all, but I guess mankind will never learn the lesson of what discrimination can do to people.

Thus, what the Bush administration wants to do regarding a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, plus what has been done in the past by other administrations, like for example firering homosexual soldiers for breaking the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in the US military, is unconstitutional, but I guess the constitutionality of things is determined by any kind of political agenda.

As I always say, judge the person by his character and by his skills, not on things such as cultural heritage, skin colour, religion or even sexuality. Give respect and you will earn respect. It's what's inside what counts, not the superficial things. I've certainly lost even more respect for the people running the show in Washington for declaring homosexuality as a mental disorder.

Luxair

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:50 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 1):

Big grin  bigthumbsup  soooo true

Kay

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:02 pm

Also.. what about reproduction? It's the natural role of any species on this planet. Gays don't reproduce, whether they are gay by choice or not, this is not "normal"..

Kay

RichardPrice

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:04 pm

So how does this mental order dehabilitate people? In what way is a 'Homosexually inflicted' person less able than myself?

People need to stop trying to classify 'abnormal' (put in quotes because I dont believe in this case, the behaviour is negative, while arguably not normal) behaviour as an illness - the human race thrives on diversity, and homosexuality is just another method of diversifying (dont make any comment about inability to procreate).

RichardPrice

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:06 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 8):
Also.. what about reproduction? It's the natural role of any species on this planet. Gays don't reproduce, whether they are gay by choice or not, this is not "normal"

So, is remaining single or choosing not to have a child 'not normal'? How about usage of contraceptives?

Actually, go ahead and define 'normal' - because whichever definition you choose to use, there isnt that many people on this earth that actually matches it.

flyingbabydoc

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:07 pm

From Wikipedia:

"Finally, social theorists suggest that mental illness may be caused by significant events in, or the conditions of, one’s environment. For example, there may be higher incidences of mental illness in areas that are involved in civil or military actions or that have recently suffered a major natural or man-made disaster (such as 9/11). Areas that also suffer from endemic poverty, transience, and few resources and supports are also suggested to have higher rates of mental illness than more affluent or stable areas."

So I guess the Pentagon people should not be throwing stones with that beautiful glass roof over their heads...
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

flyingbabydoc

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:08 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 8):
Gays don't reproduce, whether they are gay by choice or not, this is not "normal"..

And a male child-molester who has abused his own children (= reproduced) is normal?
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

Kay

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:13 pm

Child molesters are not qualified as not "normal", they are qualified as sick..

Kay

Kay

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:18 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 10):
So, is remaining single or choosing not to have a child 'not normal'? How about usage of contraceptives?

What do you mean the usage of contraceptives? I'm talking about that two times in your life when you don't use a condom to have kids.

I actually respect people who choose not to have kids for whatever environmental or I-hate-kids reasons. I sure won't be able to be one of them.

Kay

[Edited 2006-06-20 11:19:05]

Doona

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Ooh, does this mean they'll start executing us in Texas?  silly 

Quoting Kay (Reply 8):
Gays don't reproduce, whether they are gay by choice or not, this is not "normal"..

I know plenty of straight people who do not reproduce. But hey, I'd like to have a kid someday, and there are ways.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

AmericanB763ER

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:26 pm

What's the big deal? - the streets are full of wackos, homosexual or not, in Washington and anywhere in the world  Yeah sure

trekster

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:39 pm

I always knew i was special. Big grin  Big grin

Thanks to the us goverment for letting me know offcially lol Big grin  bouncy 
Where does the time go???

cxsjr

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:50 pm

Ooooh, wait a minute, do they have disability benefit in the US?

Now, if I could stay off work and get paid benefit for me being classed 'mentally' disordered, then I'll be right over!

cfalk

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:06 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):
And I thought that according to the US constitution, all men and women are created equal.

Where does it say that?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

raffik

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Really sickening. I don't consider myself to have a "mental disorder" just because I am gay. Many straight people choose not to have kids.

Hello, America- it's 2006, not 1946!!!
- Alec

cornish

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 8):
Also.. what about reproduction? It's the natural role of any species on this planet. Gays don't reproduce, whether they are gay by choice or not, this is not "normal"..

Erm I hate to shoot down your view here, but gays have all the necessary equipment to reproduce - okay not with each other of the same sex, but there are plenty of gay men and women out there who have had kids. Particularly men and women who have accepted their sexuality at a later point in their lives, often after having been married with kids.

I bedded plenty of women for much of my adult life and could have chosen to have kids at any time but used protection.

So in that respect gays are no different to the many straight people who choose not to reproduce.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Kay

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 21):
there are plenty of gay men and women out there who have had kids

At the risk of sounding stupid, I didn't know that.

Kay

cornish

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:19 pm

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 18):
Ooooh, wait a minute, do they have disability benefit in the US?

Now, if I could stay off work and get paid benefit for me being classed 'mentally' disordered, then I'll be right over!

gay AND a plane spotter - that should ensure sickness benefit for sure  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

cxsjr

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:25 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 23):
plane spotter

Um, photographer, please - spotter, no!  wink 

ltbewr

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:45 pm

To me the ones with the real 'mental disorder' are some of our political leaders for their proscution of the war in Iraq, lying to get us there, then using gay bashing to distract us from the war and their failures.
Part of the problem here is the strong religious beliefs of many Americans, especially Roman Catholics, whom are taught that homosexuals are 'disordered' and it is something they can get 'cured' or repress. Look where that got them with all of the sex scandals of 1000's of priest over the generations all over the world. As a result, many so-called Christians figure that a short cut to heaven or to guarantee to get there is to bash gays/lesbians using thier distorted views.
As to the military, many gays/lesbians and other sexually different people served with honor in wars. Now, even if they repress their 'feelings' they cannot serve honorably. As a result we now lose 100's of good and honroable people, including people with language skills in Arabic and other valuable skills.

[Edited 2006-06-20 13:46:26]

cxsjr

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 25):

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

kmh1956

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:52 pm

Considering that the USA is the most powerful nation in the world, it has possibly the most repressed views on sex and sexuality I've ever seen. (No, I'm not gay....but compare the USA with many European countries, and what do you have? Repression!!)
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

jaysit

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:19 pm

Before we all get our knickers into a wad over this, I think that this is an old chestnut so to speak that never got drubbed off the books because there is still a noisy, uber socially conservative element in the military that will fight tooth and nail over it (irrespective of what all the modern research in the universe says). Also, there are the nasty legal types in the JAG corps (and their legal consultants) who want this there as another element of the "everything and the kitchen sink" arsenal to prop up the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Eventually, this will go the way of the dodo, but I doubt if we will see much change during our never ending misadventures in Iraq. Even those in the Pentagon who would rather see "don't ask, don't tell" gone, aren't going to go to bat over this for awhile.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

jetflyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:44 pm

What crap, sorry don't believe it. It is a sexual preference. I have had experiences with another male that would be called "homosexual" but I am not gay in any sense of the word let alone have a mental disorder, my usual orientation is towards females but you could say I am bisexual, and to call homosexuality a mental disorder is a disgrace.

aloges

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:45 pm

So politicians are all gay/lesbian?  Wow!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

nworlnsbearcub

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 4):
the US is such a religious nation compared to so many others in the western world

(so they believe!!!)

That is pretty funny!  Smile

Michael
Austin, TX
Long after the thrill of low price, lingers the bad taste of low quality..

halls120

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 28):
Before we all get our knickers into a wad over this, I think that this is an old chestnut so to speak that never got drubbed off the books because there is still a noisy, uber socially conservative element in the military that will fight tooth and nail over it (irrespective of what all the modern research in the universe says). Also, there are the nasty legal types in the JAG corps (and their legal consultants) who want this there as another element of the "everything and the kitchen sink" arsenal to prop up the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.

When I was still on active duty in the 90's the overwhelming majority of the JAG Corps personnel I worked with was SOLIDLY against "don't ask, don't tell." It wasn't a creation of the "lawyer class" within the military - it was the creation of political consultants in the Clinton White House and the gutless political leadership in the Pentagon, aided by gutless flag officers who wouldn't take a stand.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AeroWesty

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 32):
When I was still on active duty in the 90's the overwhelming majority of the JAG Corps personnel I worked with was SOLIDLY against "don't ask, don't tell."

What policy were they for?
International Homo of Mystery

jaysit

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:06 am

When I was still on active duty in the 90's the overwhelming majority of the JAG Corps personnel I worked with was SOLIDLY against "don't ask, don't tell." It wasn't a creation of the "lawyer class" within the military - it was the creation of political consultants in the Clinton White House and the gutless political leadership in the Pentagon, aided by gutless flag officers who wouldn't take a stand.

I didn't say it was a creation of the JAG personnel. But the JAG personnel now have to enforce it, as well they will. Moreover, many in the JAG corps who wanted a gradual and quiet repeal of the gay ban in the military have since left and those in charge of DADT are now firmly in favor of keeping it in place because in effect, it still keeps a gay ban alive and is in fact more onerous than what existed prior to it.

And as far as gutless goes, those gutless Pentagon leaders and those gutless flag officers were only too keen to keep DOD Directive 1332.14 alive, and discharge soldiers dishonorably if they were gay.

While Clinton was a coward in back-pedalling on the repeal of the ban on gays in the military, the nauseating antics of Senators Sam Nunn, McCain and Warner in 1993 and the outcry of the GOP and their mouthpiece Limbaugh (he of the boil on the bum excuse) forced the bullsh*t DADT compromise legislation. When Clinton forced the issue in 1993, my first reaction was "OMG, this is not the first thing you do, especially after a really contentious election in which social conservatives showed that they were finally in control of the GOP." I blame the inexperience of the Clinton White House in not realizing how well-organized social conservatives had become by 1993. He should have either worked with the Pentagon in repealing the DOD Directive, or had the balls to stand firm in the face of opposition against the repeal.

Of course, we all now know that a man who lacked the balls to say that he had sex with an intern, would never go to bat for military personnel whose careers were being ruined by age-old bigotry.

Derico

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:26 am

Had an Arab country's government come to the same conclusion, they would be labeled as 'intolerant and backwards'.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

aloges

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 35):
Had an Arab country's government come to the same conclusion, they would be labeled as 'intolerant and backwards'.

I am labelling that decision as intolerant and backwards! I simply wasn't posting it here because I can do without being included in a "You're anti-American!" "No, I'm anti-stupid-policies." bitchfest.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ctbarnes

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 19):
Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):
And I thought that according to the US constitution, all men and women are created equal.

Where does it say that?

It's not in the Constitution per se, it's said explicitly in the Declaration of Independence.

Still, I doubt you'd find a reputable psychologist these days who would agree that Homosexuality is a mental illness. But then, If Fox News says it, it must be true.  Yeah sure

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

carmenlu15

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 8):
Also.. what about reproduction? It's the natural role of any species on this planet.

Well, I do know of straight people who don't want to reproduce for whatever reason...

Quoting Aloges (Reply 30):
So politicians are all gay/lesbian?

Now that would be an offending statement!

... to gays and lesbians, that is.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

RobertNL070

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:25 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 8):

In several European and North American countries and states, adoption by same sex couples is legal. Would these gay/lesbian couples then be a little more "normal"?

bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

halls120

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 33):
When I was still on active duty in the 90's the overwhelming majority of the JAG Corps personnel I worked with was SOLIDLY against "don't ask, don't tell."

Ending all discrimination based on sexual preference.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

jaysit

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 40):
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 33):

Ending all discrimination based on sexual preference.

I actually had the pleasure of being taught a class in law school by a woman who was part of the JAG Corps, who then went on to work for a group trying to repeal the ban. She was straight, with 2 kids, career military, etc. She now works for a Veterans Benefits group, and she told me that many in the JAG today are firmly in favor of keeping DADT intact, and that many are using it far more extensively to go after gays. I don't know if its the power of social conservatives in this administration, but its a real setback.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:47 am

I would also add that the military also ought to go after those whom are 'disordered' in their ranks that assult, harrass and rape women and children or support prostitution with all of it's health and social risks. Hetrosexual beheavor is encouraged to a point in the military and has caused a lot of problems where American soldiers are posted (there have been incidents in recent years in Okanawa and Korea, making it difficult for our postings there). They need to be realistic about sex but also that they cannot condone it either as it too hurts the military and far worse than a few gay men or lesbian women.

alberchico

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:59 am

Please keep in mind that the people who wrote this are well educated in such matters and should have their their findings taken seriously..........
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Doona

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 44):
Please keep in mind that the people who wrote this are well educated in such matters and should have their their findings taken seriously..........

So you're saying I should take it seriously when someone tells me I have a mental disorder because I'm gay? Go to hell, please.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

carmenlu15

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 44):

Please, tell me you are missing a  Yeah sure or a  Wink in your post...
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

travelin man

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 27):
Considering that the USA is the most powerful nation in the world, it has possibly the most repressed views on sex and sexuality I've ever seen. (No, I'm not gay....but compare the USA with many European countries, and what do you have? Repression!!)

Please keep in mind that for the most part individual states make up rules regarding marriage, adoption, same-sex rights, etc. That's why some states (Massachusetts, California, Vermont) are more liberal than even some European countries, and other states are still in the Middle Ages. You can't really paint the US with a single broad brush when it comes to sex and/or gay rights.

AR385

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:19 am

The DSM-IV, published every year, I believe by the American Association of Psichiatry establishes which are the different mental disorders, their symptoms and their treatments. This is the bible of any serious psichiatryst. Or mental health worker.

Since early in the 70's, I believe 1974, "Homosexuality" was dropped from the DSM-IV as a mental disorder deserving of any kind of mental treatment.

If today you go to a homophobic, but serious, ethical psichiatryst, and tell him your problem is that you are gay, his answer will be: "So, what is it you want me to do about it? There's nothing wrong with you, good bye."

You'll get the same answer from 95% of reputable, homophobic or non-homophobic psichiatrysts.

Period. End of discussion.

You may wish to think whatever you want about homosexuality. According to science, it's not a disorder.

Now if you are gay, and have issues because you are gay, that is a different story, and you may well fall for a time into some type of mental disorder, like Severe Clinical Depression, Codependency with an abusive partner, Paranoia if you have experienced enough rejection because of your homosexuality. But those are different issues.

The above type of disorders, you see more in Homosexuals than in Heterosexuals. But wife and hubby also have their list of possible mental disorders they can develop.

So? we are simply human.

[Edited 2006-06-20 22:26:06]

LTU932

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 43):

Say what? Are you serious about this? It is clear that these findings are part of a political agenda and thus, are NOT to be taken seriously.

alberchico

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 48):
Say what? Are you serious about this? It is clear that these findings are part of a political agenda and thus, are NOT to be taken seriously.

This report is completely independent and bi-partisan.........
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !