AerospaceFan
Topic Author

U.S. Ballistic Missile Defense Now Operational

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:26 pm

The United States has activated its global anti-ballistic missile defense systems against the possible threat of a missile launch by North Korea.

According to the Drudge Report, describing an article by Bill Gertz:

Quote:
The Pentagon activated its new U.S. ground-based interceptor missile defense system, Bill Gertz reports in Tuesday's WASHINGTON TIMES, just as officials announced that any long-range missile launch by North Korea would be considered a "provocative act."

[...]

Two Navy Aegis warships are patrolling near North Korea as part of the global missile defense and would be among the first sensors that would trigger the use of interceptors, the officials said yesterday.

Source: http://www.drudgereport.com

Full article: http://www.washtimes.com/national/20060620-123010-4554r.htm

See: http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/html/mdalink.html

Related agencies:

U.S. Northern Command - http://www.northcom.mil/about_us/about_us.htm
U.S. Strategic Command - http://www.stratcom.mil/
U.S. Air Force Space Command - http://www.afspc.af.mil/

[Edited 2006-06-20 09:40:04]
What's fair is fair.

TedTAce

RE: U.S. Ballistic Missile Defense Now Operational

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
The United States has activated its global anti-ballistic missile defense systems

yawn  and?
This space intentionally left blank

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:40 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):
and?

And we'll see what we shall see, won't we?
What's fair is fair.

TedTAce

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:47 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 2):
And we'll see what we shall see, won't we?

First and foremost: All due respect to the boys and girls laying it out on the line so I can type this crap.

That being said:
I'm sorry, but unless someone is foolish enough to invade the US, the only military action I'm going to find of any interest will be if we have to kick ET's a$$ a-la ID4. Stopping some crappy N. Korean missle from falling on us is going to be as boring as playing "Missle Command" for the 10 billionth time. If it isn't then Bush will be the first President to be "recalled" in US history. Either way, I win.

YeahitsK

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:30 am

I hear Kim Jong Il has the best taepodong.
Let's play some Pitch...

oldeuropean

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:54 am

American omnipotence fantasies:
Only 11 rockets are able to protect the US.

Many experts doubt that the system is matured and criticizes that it was so far never tested under realistic conditions.

Axel

[Edited 2006-06-20 20:07:10]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

cfalk

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
Stopping some crappy N. Korean missle from falling on us is going to be as boring as playing "Missle Command" for the 10 billionth time.

That "crappy N. Korean missle" is still going 20,000 miles an hour.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 5):

Don't forget local U.S. forces near the launch site, or the Aegis ships.

The Patriot system is capable of missile interception.
What's fair is fair.

cfalk

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 7):
Don't forget local U.S. forces near the launch site, or the Aegis ships.

The Patriot system is capable of missile interception.

Those are capable of knocking down (sometimes) TACTICAL missiles. Strategic missiles fly much farther and re-enter at a much higher speed - beyond the capabilities of Patriot or Standard (Aegis).

DrDeke

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
Stopping some crappy N. Korean missle from falling on us is going to be as boring as playing "Missle Command" for the 10 billionth time.

I wish. I seem to remember that our missile defence system tends to fail much of the time even when tested under highly optimal conditions.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

mrmeangenes

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:50 am

Many experts doubt that the system is matured and criticizes that it was so far never tested under realistic conditions.

One reason being the intense hostility produced among our own compatriots every time the topic came up.

I imagine if the Korean missile landed just west of California,there might be a slightly different response...
gene

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:56 am

Is this it?

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

dl021

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:03 am

beats the hell out of oldeuropean ostrich tendencies when they're out of range of the missiles.....our allies and our forces are well within range. I do remember the uproar when it was posited that the Iranians may be able to reach Europe with missiles....

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 9):
I wish. I seem to remember that our missile defence system tends to fail much of the time even when tested under highly optimal conditions.

Let's say there's a 50% failure rate (higher than the tests indicate)...let's just send two or three missiles per target.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
Those are capable of knocking down (sometimes) TACTICAL missiles.

They have knocked out target warheads in the terminal phase of their arc. The layered theory is that we want to target the weapons in boost, apogee/orbital, and re-entry/terminal phases. Aegis is part of the latter, IIRC.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

fumanchewd

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:01 am

Ohhh, I would love to see details. Please post evidence. I have understood from some that this system has been operational for quite some time. The US isn't exacltly advertising this system. Is Consumer Reports the expert?

1. The government would not give enough of the system's specifications and capabilities to an outside entity to make an accurate opinion of it.

2. With all of the negative publicity and strained treaties/relations that this puppy has created, I seriously doubt that anyone will hear the whole truth pertaining to its capabilities and effectiveness.

3. I'm going to watch Spies Like Us again tonight to refamiliarize my self with the sensitive and ambigious political complexities that this system brings forth. (Ok, I just want to see the boobies in the tent scene again..) Wink
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

fumanchewd

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:10 am

I saw an article that stated a North Korean missle had been found in remote Western Alaska three years ago. The analysis of the missle concluded that the guidence systems were inacurrate and would not be able to plop one on us very accurately. But, I suppose if they could get it anywhere within 25 miles of the Bay area, it would do enough damage. Does anyone have any info on the suspected new range of these new ICBMs as well as their guidance systems?

TedTAce

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):
That "crappy N. Korean missle" is still going 20,000 miles an hour.

ummm NO. 17,500 MPH is orbital velocity; @ 20,000 it would 'never' fall down. I want to say 22,000 MPH is escape velocity, I'm to tired to google it. Yeah; still hitting something in the 5-12,000 MPH range won't be easy, but after the BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of dollars this and many other administrations have spent, it's about time that kit worked. The last thing this administration needs is the death blow of a glowing Nuclear ANC.

L-188

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:33 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 13):
I'm going to watch Spies Like Us

GUIDANCE!!! Source Programmable Guidance!

Great under appreciated flick.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 13):
(Ok, I just want to see the boobies in the tent scene again..)

What version of the movie do you have, the only ones I saw where on Chevy's supervisor when he tried to sleep his way out of the test.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 14):
I saw an article that stated a North Korean missle had been found in remote Western Alaska three years ago.

I don't remember if that is exactly what happened, but I do remember that the last NK test came too close to Alaska for my taste.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Falcon84

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:40 am

Talk about a boondoggle that costs us billions in taxpayers money, isn't really needed, and only benefitted the military-industrial complex that Ike warned us about, this is it.

We had the best missile defense system ever: it was our own aresenal, and the threat of "if you launch a nuke at us, we turn you into a parking lot."

What a waste.
Work Right, Fly Hard

fumanchewd

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 16):
I don't remember if that is exactly what happened, but I do remember that the last NK test came too close to Alaska for my taste.

Well, I was googling around and I found this article that states a piece of the warhead was found in Alaska. My bad, just a piece of the warhead.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nati...n/200303/kt2003030417272311970.htm

Here is an old analysis of the three stage missile.

http://www.inesap.org/bulletin16/bul16art10.htm

Crap, it turns out that it was 8 years ago! How time flies.

[Edited 2006-06-21 03:44:28]

jran225

Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:13 am

Operational missile defense systems, eh? Great, looks like now we're finally safe from those bad North Koreans....whew, that was a close one!

Cheers,
-Omar S.

P.S: If you don't get the sarcastic undertone of my message, then you're an idiot.  Wink
Never tell your girlfriend about all the 'action' you're getting at the airport - only photogs understand that.

jetjack74

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:26 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 17):
What a waste

Of course it's a waste, when you stack it up against a brilliant photo-op like this.

Talk about a boondoggle that costs us billions in taxpayers money,

Thinking diplomacy with this guy could work is a case of a boondoggle
Made from jets!

ArtieFufkin

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:56 pm

Talk about a boondoggle that costs us billions in taxpayers money, isn't really needed, and only benefitted the military-industrial complex that Ike warned us about, this is it.

You got that right. I hope like hell they don't try to intercept. With Bush's track record it will hit downtown Vancouver and fail to detonate. Another incompetent program exposed.

ArtieFufkin

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:00 pm

That sounds bad. I did not mean to say I wish it would detonate in Canada. I was trying to say they can't even get the "boom" part right either...LOL

I love my little northern neighbors..Kinder and Gentler.

pbottenb

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:11 pm

You really dont understand Americans. You probably consider us to collectively be a cross between Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies TV show and Mike Tyson.

What you dont understand is that we dont give a shit if we miss this one missle test We are still building the system - this will be a nice test. But, trust me, we will figure it out, and then your country will be begging us for protection (again).

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 15):
want to say 22,000 MPH is escape velocity, I'm to tired to google it.

I think it's around 18,500 mph give or take. Probably more due to their higher-lattitudes.

ArtieFufkin

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Guy that is so wrong. Nobody is asking us for protection.

Wake up. We are losing a war that we started based on bullshit. It's costing us 320 Billion and 2500 dead. Not to mention thousands of innocents killed.
We are running the biggest deficits the Country has ever known to fund this fiasco. How long do you think we can fund these stupid weapons programs the military doesn't want? Not long.

They are begging us alright. Begging us to go away. World opinion of the USA is in the crapper.

Thank Bush.

pbottenb

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:38 pm

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 25):
Guy that is so wrong. Nobody is asking us for protection.

Wake up. We are losing a war that we started based on bullshit. It's costing us 320 Billion and 2500 dead. Not to mention thousands of innocents killed.
We are running the biggest deficits the Country has ever known to fund this fiasco. How long do you think we can fund these stupid weapons programs the military doesn't want? Not long.

They are begging us alright. Begging us to go away. World opinion of the USA is in the crapper.

Thank Bush.

OK, so you seem kind of pissed off...I dont want to argue about it one way or another.....

BUT, N Korea is a definate problem that is not going away...I would rather spend billions on a missile defence that may work than invade N Korea and for sure kill hundreds of thousands......I just hope that when NK launches we go ahead and pull the trigger to see what happens. If we miss, SO WHAT, we learn something, who cares,if we hit, BIG step...

I am confident that those folks on the Aegis ships in theater will try their best...

my 2C worth...

satx

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:55 pm

I get the feeling that if we keep going around poking every dog we come across eventually we're going to get bitten again. The only thing I know for sure is that sooner or later American supremacy is going to end, and it's certainly not going to end peacefully. We simply won't let it.

Just as we didn't have a strategy for winning the peace in Iraq, neither do we have a strategy for peacefully giving up our sole supremacy.

Welcome to the first volume in a series of "American War Presidents". If you're not scared yet, maybe you should consider the fact that, as a born-again fundamentalist evangelical Christian, Bush agrees with most American politicans that massive and utterly destructive world wars are necessary in order for his messiah to revisit his home planet again. Maybe that will give you a taste of things to come.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

TedTAce

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:16 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 20):
Thinking diplomacy with this guy could work is a case of a boondoggle

Yeah, right. That boondogle cost a few million at WORST. How many TRILLIONS have been UTTERLY WASTED by SDI since the original cowboy himself took office? Pahleese  Yeah sure

Quoting SATX (Reply 27):
Just as we didn't have a strategy for winning the peace in Iraq, neither do we have a strategy for peacefully giving up our sole supremacy.

You should know better SATX. You could use EVERY possible measure there is in the world to prove Americans are second to everybody in some measure and collectively we wouldn't believe it. This country couldn't deal with the psychological blow of being anything but 'the best'. But I agree it's long over due. We need to get the LARGE target off our VERY fat bellies.

tbar220

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting YeahitsK (Reply 4):
I hear Kim Jong Il has the best taepodong.

Well if that's so, why is he so ronery?  Silly
NO URLS in signature

N766UA

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:26 pm

We had the best missile defense system ever: it was our own aresenal, and the threat of "if you launch a nuke at us, we turn you into a parking lot."

Right, and since N. Korea doesn't give a flying F about this fact, it's nice to know we have something else to defend ourselves with.
This Website Censors Me

tu204

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:32 pm

Well, I am pretty sure that we have not given the North Koreans quasiballistic technology, so it won't be that hard for anyone to shoot down a North Korean missile. All you need is good timing and the right calculations. Now good luck trying to use that "missile defence" against one of our Bulava missiles  Wink
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

L-188

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:59 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 27):
If you're not scared yet, maybe you should consider the fact that, as a born-again fundamentalist evangelical Christian, Bush agrees with most American politicans that massive and utterly destructive world wars are necessary in order for his messiah to revisit his home planet again. Maybe that will give you a taste of things to come.

I think you have been reading too much L. Ron Hubbard lately.

Quoting Tu204 (Reply 31):
Now good luck trying to use that "missile defence" against one of our Bulava missiles

System was never intended for a soviet attack, otherwise they would have but it in Grafton, North Dakota where abandoning the ABM would not have been a issue.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

satx

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 32):

I think you have been reading too much L. Ron Hubbard lately.

What's the difference?

Some Christians I know keep looking for excuses to believe the end is upon us and if you watch some of the shows on the Christian channels you'll eventually see all sorts of worthless nonsense purporting to be evidence of an impending global apocalypse. Not surprisingly these various world-wide injustices aren't presented as though they were issues to be tackled by able-bodied Samaritans but rather as unavoidable catastrophes prophesized long ago to be gawked at and gossiped about by those outside the immediate conflict today.

No matter how close we get to the final battle there's always time enough to send in your donation and prayer requests though. I would have thought that a couple thousand years of blind devotion would have resulted in a better selling tactic that this, but I guess there's no need to fix a system that can already snare 85% of the world's most powerful nation with nothing more than peer pressure and a book of contradictory fairytales.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

TedTAce

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 33):
snare 85% of the world's most powerful nation with nothing more than peer pressure and a book of contradictory fairytales.

BRILLIANT!!!!!  rotfl 

oldeuropean

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 23):
What you dont understand is that we dont give a shit if we miss this one missle test We are still building the system - this will be a nice test. But, trust me, we will figure it out, and then your country will be begging us for protection (again).

No, it never will work and, the joke is: be sure it doesn`t matter if it doesn`t work. Because, it is built of the same reason the US makes the war in Iraq:

Billions of Dollars were and will be transfered from the American tax payers into the pockets of firms, building weapons, munitions and developing military techniques, and particularly in the pockets of some pals of the current governing ignorant bast**** in Washington.

Axel

[Edited 2006-06-21 10:51:02]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

LSPA

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:54 pm

What's up with the plan of converting this 747 with a laser to shoot down ballistic missles? Andybody updated on that?
Because that sounds pretty cool!
~reach for the sky!

TedTAce

Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:21 pm

Quoting LSPA (Reply 36):
What's up with the plan of converting this 747 with a laser to shoot down ballistic missles? Andybody updated on that?
Because that sounds pretty cool!

Check Mil/space there is a thread about it there.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:33 pm

I think we should use some diplomacy with China to note that it isn't in their best interest for N. Korea to even try out this missile. China is about the only trading partner of N. Korea and is probably the only one that can influnce them not just on this Missile issue, but the whole nuke problem too.
To me, this is just part of the pattern of extortion N. Korea has been playing for many years to get money to prop up the current very bad government in N. Korea. Maybe we will get lucky and if they try out this missile it will get about 100 ft in the air and blow up big time on live TV  biggrin 
It's too bad we cannot support an opposition in N. Korea to topple the despots that rule there and finally unifiy Korea.

LSPA

Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 37):
Check Mil/space there is a thread about it there.

ok cool, thanx Ted.
~reach for the sky!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:51 am

The U.S. Air Force is well on its way in the 747 ABM program and I would imagine that tests will be conducted before long.
What's fair is fair.

dl021

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:35 am

What happens when we're dealing with a government run by a person who is not subject to the same ideals, conventions and mores that ours is? The guy with his finger on the trigger in the DPRK is a nutjob.

Every last swinging richard posting here would be highly pissed if the next test missile from Dear Leader went further than expected and calling for the head of any government leader who did not have a working plan to protect them from the bomb. Anyone who thinks we're safe from such attack dearly needs to remove their heads from the sand. I'd say we were safer when grandfathers who cared about their grandchildren had the Russian and US keys to the nukes......nowadays it's crazy.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

daedaeg

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:17 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 33):
Some Christians I know keep looking for excuses to believe the end is upon us and if you watch some of the shows on the Christian channels you'll eventually see all sorts of worthless nonsense purporting to be evidence of an impending global apocalypse. Not surprisingly these various world-wide injustices aren't presented as though they were issues to be tackled by able-bodied Samaritans but rather as unavoidable catastrophes prophesized long ago to be gawked at and gossiped about by those outside the immediate conflict today.

No matter how close we get to the final battle there's always time enough to send in your donation and prayer requests though. I would have thought that a couple thousand years of blind devotion would have resulted in a better selling tactic that this, but I guess there's no need to fix a system that can already snare 85% of the world's most powerful nation with nothing more than peer pressure and a book of contradictory fairytales.

This is why liberals are not taken seriously in America. You have no respect for people of Faith.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 41):
Every last swinging richard posting here would be highly pissed if the next test missile from Dear Leader went further than expected and calling for the head of any government leader who did not have a working plan to protect them from the bomb. Anyone who thinks we're safe from such attack dearly needs to remove their heads from the sand. I'd say we were safer when grandfathers who cared about their grandchildren had the Russian and US keys to the nukes......nowadays it's crazy

Exactly, And I can't understand why anyone would be against something that may protect them.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

JGPH1A

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:19 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 38):
It's too bad we cannot support an opposition in N. Korea to topple the despots that rule there and finally unifiy Korea

Nice idea - trouble is, opposition in N.Korea has a life expectancy slightly shorter than that of a mayfly with TB and suicidal tendencies.

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 42):
You have no respect for people of Faith.

People of faith like that beyotch who protests at military funerals ? Yeah, very respectable.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

TedTAce

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:40 pm

You have no respect for people of Faith.

I have respect for people of TRUE faith. Holding the bible on-high and going to Church every Sunday is not faith, it's pandering to heard mentality foolishness.

cfalk

Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:09 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 43):
People of faith like that beyotch who protests at military funerals ? Yeah, very respectable.

Don't take the excuse of extremists to become an extremist yourself. Those idiots are not indicative of the wider religious population, and you know that.

Exactly, And I can't understand why anyone would be against something that may protect them.

I keep remembering the early 80s, when the US, in response to the soviet deployment of hundreds of SS-20s aimed at Western Europe, decided to deploy a similar weapon in return. And all the lefties, greens, hippies and other idiots in Europe began massive street protests, laying down in front of railroad tracks and gates, etc in protest of the American deployment. They didn't seem to mind the SS-20s that were pointed at them!

It's kinda like being in a neighborhood where a drug gang has taken over, and you start protesting the cops who show up to drive them away.

When the Americans started deploying those missiles, the Soviets realized the danger (they were in range of Moscow), and the result was the IRBM treaty, banning all such missiles from all sides. Clearly what all the greenies wanted, but did the Americans get any thank you from them? Hell no.

JGPH1A

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 45):
Don't take the excuse of extremists to become an extremist yourself. Those idiots are not indicative of the wider religious population, and you know that.

No but they are the visibile and highly vocal tip of the ever threatening iceberg.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

centrair

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:20 pm

Even though this defense system is operational let's hope we don't have to use it and that the level heads prevail. They have in the past, they can again. (see video post below)

I posted this in the other thread about the North Korean Missle problem.
Its a Discovery/Times Documentary about 45 minutes long. Totally worth it.
Nuclear Nightmare: Understanding North Korea

Related Thread should The US Shoot Down NK Missle
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!