aloges

What Can Drive You Crazy?

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:57 pm

OK... what can make you folks want to bang your head against the wall in disbelief?

I'm a wee bit, shall we say, flabbergasted, by the ability of my computer to "forget" it has a built-in USB hub. In fact, as I'm typing this, it is vanishing again. That wouldn't be all that bad if Medion hadn't decided to connect some vital stuff to that hub: the WiFi adapter, for example.

Since the hub has several ways of crashing, it's always interesting to play "What's going to happen next?" when it does. Sometimes that little WLAN symbol next to the clock in the lower right corner reappears, sometimes it doesn't. In other words, each time the computer doesn't find the hub again, I have to log off or even reboot the entire system if I want to get online again. I've removed the offending items from the Windows setup, re-installed them, updated the drivers, deactivated all unused devices on the USB hub and whatnot... no effect whatsoever.

Well, to that I have gotten used. But with Apple's brilliant  sarcastic  idea to not include a charger in the iPod packages, I have to charge that thing via USB as well... and yes, you guessed right, sometimes the iPod reconnects to the PC after a "hub crash", obviously stops playing and displays "do not disconnect". Of course, it's not possible to resume playing after it has re-synced.

So I'll end up buying a USB charger... nothing worse for a battery than being recharged partially over and over again, and dear Apple: yes, I do want to charge my iPod and listen to MP3s while my computer is off. That's why I bought it!

Sorry about the  hissyfit  thread, but I needed to get that off my back.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Boeing744

RE: What Can Drive You Crazy?

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting Aloges (Thread starter):
Well, to that I have gotten used. But with Apple's brilliant idea to not include a charger in the iPod packages, I have to charge that thing via USB as well

That is SO annoying! My MP3 Player also only came with a USB charger, so I had to pay $40 (!!!) to get one that plugs in. It was a complete ripoff...

oly720man

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:13 am

At the moment I'm being, erm, distracted, by a PIC programming board that isn't behaving properly. (A K8048 from Velleman). 2 computers are not recognising that the chip to be programmed is actually there though they recognise the board is there. From other forums it's a problem that other people have had, but there's no obvious reason why it's happening.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

aloges

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 1):
That is SO annoying!

checkmark  My phone can also be charged via USB, an alternative to the included charger, and it even charges when the computer is shut off and the only thing on is the main power switch on its back. The iPod? Doesn't even charge in the Windows "Standby" mode where the RAM is powered.

aloges

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:53 am

Something entirely different... some kids outside my door apparently think it's a good idea to fire toy guns outside. Usually I wouldn't have a problem with that, but on the other side of the road there's the entrance to a US Army Hospital - complete with armed guards.  scratchchin 

ABfemme

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:06 am

Sunday drivers
Queues
Yes I too have comp problems (theres an Gremlin hidden in ours who takes control now and again)
Him snoring
Him passing flatus wherever (post curry particularly drives me nuts)

Paying the window cleaner for half a job.....OOHH....I could go on.....wheres
my chill pill.....

Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:15 am

Neighbors who park their shopping cart in front of their door, so that I almost stumble on it when getting out of the elevator! But we solved that by telling them it's not nice... now they park the shopping cart *inside* their apartment (yes, the shopping cart from the supermarket! they bring it home!)

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

aloges

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 6):
yes, the shopping cart from the supermarket! they bring it home!

That is not usual?

Signed,
my neighbours