AC773
Topic Author

Mother, Daughter Sue The Pants Off MySpace

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:23 am

Quote:
A 14-year-old Travis County girl who said she was sexually assaulted by a Buda man she met on MySpace.com sued the popular social networking site Monday for $30 million, claiming that it fails to protect minors from adult sexual predators.

The lawsuit claims that the Web site does not require users to verify their age and calls the security measures aimed at preventing strangers from contacting users younger than 16 "utterly ineffective."

The Article...

I just can't stand crap like this. Should a website be held legally responsible for the well-being of some teen who's stupid enough to meet people she talks to on MySpace? Hell no! Obviously the mother wasn't doing her job, and now she wants money for it? I'm sorry, but this is complete and utter BS.

-AC773

Edit for formatting

[Edited 2006-06-20 18:36:11]
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

BradWray

RE: Mother, Daughter Sue The Pants Off MySpace

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:32 am

It is BS, You have to be responsable for your actions no matter how old you are. I cannot belive her and her mother have put the web site at fault for her being a net slag!

Did she lie about her age? I proberbaly think so! It is a jok!

Thanks, Bradley!
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

nworlnsbearcub

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:36 am

I live in Travis County! This is such complete bullshit...

BE RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE!

Michael
Austin, TX
Long after the thrill of low price, lingers the bad taste of low quality..

Cadet57

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting AC773 (Thread starter):
A 14-year-old Travis County girl who said she was sexually assaulted by a Buda man she met on MySpace.com sued the popular social networking site

IIRC, the min age for Myspace is 15-16 which leads me to beleive the girl is a) a slut cuz she knew dam well she was going to see an older guy, for what, bowling? BULLSHIT. b) shes a liar. c) Its her own dammed fault.

Its unfortunate that this had to happen but I dont feel sorry for someones stupidity.

claiming that it fails to protect minors from adult sexual predators.

Well if your daughter wasnt a slut and went around muspace trolling for guys you wouldent be in the perdiciment you are in now, arent you?

Darwin Nominees, the lot of them.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

mdsh00

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:39 am

Stupid mother should be put in jail for not paying attention to her daughter. Nevertheless, they will make some money off the whole affair as MySpace will probably settle out of court, therefore making a mockery of the legal system.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

b757300

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:44 am

No one ever wants to take personal responsibility anymore. Much easier to blame everyone else and try to make a buck.

This is no different than the idiots who sue McDonalds or KFC because they get fat.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

AirWillie6475

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:48 am

Only in the U.S. At other countries the lawyers and judges would probably laugh show the mother and the daughter the door. They're not going to get anything, the purpose of the court is not to make people rich(except lawyers), it's to compensate a person. I think they sued for 30 million? There's no way they will get that kind of money.

NIKV69

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:54 am

You know I find it funny how underage girls venture down the path of having sex with older men they meet online then turn around and want to sue? Look, it works both ways. If a 15 year old girl wants to have sex trust me she is going to do so. The male is at fault, no question, but if a minor makes the mistake of giving her personal information to an older man she is doing it for one reason. Not saying the male is not at fault but believe me myspace is not responsible. Get a grip.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

senorcarnival

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:01 am

On Myspace, whenever you set your age to be 14, your profile is set to private. This means only people you have added to your list of friends can see your page. So either this girl lied about her age, which some minors do (my girlfriend's cousin set her profile age to 17 when she's actually 14,) or she made a conscious decision to add this man to her list of friends, while this does not make assault OK, she should know better than to befriend strangers when she is a minor, but then again, this goes back to the responsible parenting which this cunt mother obviously has no idea of what that means.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

AirWillie6475

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 7):
If a 15 year old girl wants to have sex trust me she is going to do so. The male is at fault, no question, but if a minor makes the mistake of giving her personal information to an older man she is doing it for one reason.

Most of the time I would imagine they meet to get to know each other, I don't think they meet for sex(the female). If you're a girl and have teeth, you can pretty much get a guy from anywere, no need to look for people to have sex on the internet, it doesen't make any sense. It's the males that usually commit the crime but the females are the ones that commit the stupidity. You really have to be retarded or lacking any common sense to actually go out and meet somebody you met online.

On a side note where do these guys find these girls that are willing to give info. When I was in JR. high school and early high school when I used to chat on-line never did I come accross somebody that was willing to give any personal info.

WellHung

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting BradWray (Reply 1):
You have to be responsable for your actions no matter how old you are.

That's not what the law says.

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 8):
she should know better than to befriend strangers when she is a minor

Uh... that's why they're considered and treated as minors... because they don't and are not expected to know better.

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 8):
cunt mother

I wonder how you feel about your own mother... what with a potty mouth like that.  Sad

Falcon84

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:15 am

She went on there of her own free will. MySpace isn't a babysitting agency, nor a law enforcement agency. She went out and met this guy on her own, of her own free will. And the parents obviously didn't know her whereabouts, either.

It's crap, and the mother should be held in contempt for wasting the court's time.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LSPA

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:17 am

rotfl  almost as stupid as the lady that spills coffee on her while driving and causing an accident. Then sues mcDonalds because the coffee was too hot Big grin
stupid people...  Smile
~reach for the sky!

CPH-R

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:22 am

Incredibly stupid - as hs been mentioned before, seeing that the age limit is 15-16, the girl either lied about her age (case out of window) or she invited him to be her friend herself (ditto).

Quoting B757300 (Reply 5):
This is no different than the idiots who sue McDonalds or KFC because they get fat.

Speaking of which: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...od_060619/20060619?hub=CTVNewsAt11

airwave

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:23 am

A 14-year-old Travis County girl who said she was sexually assaulted by a Buda man she met on MySpace.com sued the popular social networking site Monday for $30 million, claiming that it fails to protect minors from adult sexual predators.

It also fails to protect idiot minors from themselves, but we'll *never* see a suit about that, will we? Wouldn't they first have to prove that she actually *was* sexually assaulted before they could sue Myspace?

You know, I'm still waiting for the inevitable suit against NBC because some assaulted minor expected Dateline to show up and save them.  Yeah sure

The lawsuit claims that the Web site does not require users to verify their age and calls the security measures aimed at preventing strangers from contacting users younger than 16 "utterly ineffective."

...just like the mother's parenting.

I wonder if they realize they'll be going up against not only MySpace, but Fox as well. They probably don't, but hey, good luck trying to get anything from Rupert Murdoch.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:29 am

MySpace and similar websites are facing many problems that may make it difficult for them to operate in the future. We have seen where chat rooms on Yahoo, MSN, AOL and others have been considerably changed, access much more limited or requiring extra payment to try and keep the kiddies out. Of course kids will always be looking for sex, relationships and perverts are out there looking for them, and now they all have the internet to help them.
All parents should have the computer in a public area of the home, not in the basement or the kids bedroom. They should frequently look over the shoulder of their kids on line. They should put in and learn how to use filters. Most of all, they need to limit the time they spend on line, not allow installation of certain programs and try to figure out how to use a computer themselves to look for signs of undesirable use.

AirPacific747

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:47 am

Those 30 million dollars has absolutely nothing to do with that sexual assault, its just an easy opportunity to try to get rich.

WellHung

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:47 am

This is wonderful. Whenever someone posts a story about a sexual predator, there are cries for hot pokers to be jammed in their eye sockets, a genital guillotine and for them to be drawn and quartered. Now when there's something that could lead to greater protections for minors, they start crying about that, saying the children deserve to be sexually assaulted. Well, which one is it? Why isn't anyone bitching about the parents of the person accused of sexually assaulting this girl? Or why aren't they bitching about their own parents? These people (other than the uber-cautious TedTAce, obviously, who's family is quite proud of him) expect us to believe they never lied to their parents, snuck out of the house, hung out with people they weren't supposed to, etc. They are too busy trying to blame someone instead of looking for a solution to the problem. You're not fooling anyone.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting LSPA (Reply 12):
almost as stupid as the lady that spills coffee on her while driving and causing an accident. Then sues mcDonalds because the coffee was too hot

Actually the two are nothing alike - do an actual Internet search for information about the case (Liebeck v. McDonalds) rather than relying on the inaccurate information you've gotten spoonfed via a sensationalist media.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

AirPacific747

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 17):

Thats all good, but what most of us are discussing here is how people take this into their advantage, so instead of doing this to help other children so they won't go through the same, its all about the money.

WellHung

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 19):
what most of us are discussing here is how people take this into their advantage, so instead of doing this to help other children so they won't go through the same, its all about the money.

Out of the 19 replies, 4 have mentioned the money. That doesn't qualify as 'most'.

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:03 am

MySpace, and other similar sites, are a way to communicate among people. The telephone and a newspaper publishing "men looks for a woman" ads are also ways to communicate among people.

Therefore I think the next lawsuit will be against the phone company, or against the publisher of aforementioned newspaper, because someone was sexually assaulted by someone else (s)he knew thanks to the phone or the newspaper.

This is ridiculous. It's just like some judge in Switzerland who wanted the Internet Service Provider to be liable for web sites located outside Swiss borders, just because people are using the Swiss ISP to surf on the Internet...

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

AirPacific747

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 20):

How many are critisising the mother and the daughter for sueing the company alone?

WellHung

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 22):
How many are critisising the mother and the daughter for sueing the company alone?

You sure change your tune pretty quick...

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:18 am

I'm not sure, what else can one say? It's disgusting that things like these happen, but the problem isn't the company. It's the people who use the company's services. Heck, one can get sexually assaulted after meeting someone in a pub. Would you sue the pub?

It's all a matter of education in my opinion. This doesn't mean getting raped is a good thing - only that you won't make things better by looking for someone to be considered guilty who isn't guilty at all.

-Manuel

AirPacific747

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 23):
You sure change your tune pretty quick...

Wow I must say I am positively surprised by your very detailed answer to my question

[Edited 2006-06-20 22:01:13]

AirPacific747

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 24):
Would you sue the pub?

No and would anyone sue the pub for 30 million dollars for that? It has nothing to do with the pub, only the person that assaulted you.

[Edited 2006-06-20 22:09:04]

WellHung

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 25):
Wow I must say I am positively surprised by your very detailed post Yeah sure

Like this?

You conveniently ignored the statistics in my first response and attempted to change the subject with an inconsequential and unrelated 'yeah, but'. So sorry, you haven't earned a detailed response. If you didn't screw up and say 'most' to try to support your point when it was actually closer to 20%, you wouldn't be in this position in the first place. Just apologize for your screw up and move on...

dtwclipper

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:12 am

And in a related story:

Teen involved in MySpace romance charged with being a runaway

June 20, 2006

Email this Print this By TOM KRISHER

ASSOCIATED PRESS
DETROIT (AP) -- Authorities have filed a runaway juvenile petition against a Michigan teenager who flew to the Middle East to be with a man she met on the MySpace.com Internet site.

The paperwork was filed Monday in Tuscola County Family Court by the county sheriff and prosecutor against Katherine Lester of Gilford, said Kyle Jaskula, the court administrator.

At a hearing on Monday, Judge W. Wallace Kent Jr. ordered Lester to give up her passport and undergo counseling. He did not rule on the validity of the petition, and further hearings have not been scheduled.

If the judge finds that Lester is a runaway, she could be placed under court supervision until she turns 18. Such supervision usually means she would be monitored by a probation officer and made to undergo counseling, Jaskula said.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...cle?AID=/20060620/NEWS99/606200446
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

AirPacific747

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 27):
Like this?

Exactly!

Quoting WellHung (Reply 27):
You conveniently ignored the statistics in my first response and attempted to change the subject with an inconsequential and unrelated 'yeah, but'. So sorry, you haven't earned a detailed response. If you didn't screw up and say 'most' to try to support your point when it was actually closer to 20%, you wouldn't be in this position in the first place. Just apologize for your screw up and move on...

LOL! I love how you're formulating this. Anyway, your first statistics are useless if they are not compared to how many are critisising the mom and the daughter only for sueing myspace.com, because in your original post, you're talking about how we are now defending myspace.com as if we were defending the guy who assaulted a girl. So sorry, but afterall I did get a detailed response from you
Again I didn't say "most" as opposed to every comment in this thread, but opposed to my above question

Anyway, this discussion is getting lame!

[Edited 2006-06-20 22:23:40]

satx

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting LSPA (Reply 12):
almost as stupid as the lady that spills coffee on her while driving and causing an accident. Then sues mcDonalds because the coffee was too hot

May I suggest that you try not to chastise people and situations you haven't bothered to research?

Read. Learn. Then think before typing.

Quoting LSPA (Reply 12):
stupid people

Terms like that can sure turn on you when you don't know what you're talking about yourself.

[Edited 2006-06-20 22:21:21]
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

jafa39

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:23 am

Quoting BradWray (Reply 1):
for her being a net slag!

When I first read this I thought you had written "a.net slag"!!!  Smile

Plenty of them eh?  Wink

BTW the lawsuit is utter BS.."Oooh, I pulled a guy on the net and he was weird, sue somebody!!"
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

TheSorcerer

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:23 am

The parents have obviously made a mistake somewhere down the road if the girl thinks it's smart to meet up with some guy that she doesn't even know.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 15):
They should frequently look over the shoulder of their kids on line.

No, i don't think that's a good idea, a good idea i think is to educate your kids more on the dangers of the internet, but not actively checking what they're doing on the net.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 17):
Now when there's something that could lead to greater protections for minors

How is this going to give greater protection to minors?
A step that leads to greater protection of minors is to educate them on the dangers of the net and not suing Myspace, what good are $30m do to all those minors out there?

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 30):

In case someone's interested, I've found this interesting link, as we're talking about the McDonald's hot coffee case:
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

SATX, I'm sure LSPA wrote what he did because the "stupid McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit" is a common joke people make, especially over here, when the argument of "stupid lawsuits" comes up - regardless of what the facts are. It's just supposed to be funny, and it could be a good prototype of a "stupid lawsuit"... making a joke isn't "chastising people" IMHO  Wink cheer up!

-Manuel

WellHung

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 29):
your first statistics are useless if they are not compared to how many are critisising the mom and the daughter only for sueing myspace.com

You said most people were talking about money, yet it is clear you are mistaken. If you meant that most people were talking about the lawsuit, you should have said so. Of course, that would have meant nothing since this entire thread is about a lawsuit. So check yoself.

gocaps16

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:47 am

from the article....

"Founded in 2003, MySpace has more than 80 million registered users worldwide and is the world's third most-viewed Web site, according to the lawsuit."

Maybe airliners.net is the world's most viewed website.  Smile

Kevin

AirPacific747

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 34):

You said most people were talking about money, yet it is clear you are mistaken. If you meant that most people were talking about the lawsuit, you should have said so. Of course, that would have meant nothing since this entire thread is about a lawsuit. So check yoself.

lol I really don't know why I am continuing with this discussion. Anyway, I meant what I said. Again, I am sure more people talked about the amount of money the girl and her mother sued myspace.com for, compared to people critisising the mother and the daughter. This discussion really is going nowhere.

satx

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 33):
cheer up!

From what I've seen, obviously frivolous lawsuits make up less than 1% of all lawsuits and yet receive 99% of all media attention. When folks on FOX NEWS, CNN, WSJ, or any of the 600+ Clear Channel radio stations bring up frivolous lawsuits, they are NOT just 'joking around'. Instead, they are making a sustained effort to promote the idea that we need massive tort reform to help reduce financial penalties to all corporations, even those caught in the midst of obvious wrongdoing. The whole "Help protect doctors from unscrupulous patients" had a lot more to do with the will of the insurance companies than the needs of the doctors.

I'll 'cheer up' when America stops focusing on protecting corporations from average consumers.

LSPA

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 18):
Actually the two are nothing alike - do an actual Internet search for information about the case (Liebeck v. McDonalds) rather than relying on the inaccurate information you've gotten spoonfed via a sensationalist media.

it lacks common sense. I've just read it through on Wickipedia and I have to continue to stick to my story.
I believe that accidents like these are sometimes really provoked. What do you guys think? Does the chance of being able to sue for big amount of money make you careless?
~reach for the sky!

WellHung

Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 36):
I am sure more people talked about the amount of money the girl and her mother sued myspace.com for, compared to people critisising the mother and the daughter. This discussion really is going nowhere.

It's going nowhere because no matter how 'sure' you are, the numbers clearly tell a different story.

satx

Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting LSPA (Reply 38):
Does the chance of being able to sue for big amount of money make you careless?

"Big money" is often a myth. Most of the larger awards are reduced to a small fraction of whatever the jury originally agreed to on appeal and then reduced further after applying all the various legal restrictions on maximum awards. The original award seems to be what gets most of the media attention though.

Just how much "big money" do you think Stella Liebeck actually received anyway? Her initial request was supposedly only enough to cover the bill the hospital gave her, which would have presumably left her with a grand total of $0.00. Yeah, that's pretty big. I'm sure she was just trying to scam a local chain restaurant at the small expense of a few 3rd degree burns and skin grafts.

McDonalds reportedly gave her and several hundred similar complaints the silent treatment. If McDonald's had been able to explain in court why their coffee was significantly hotter than nearly everyone else's or why they had refused to address these complaints for years and years then they might have been able to walk away from the case without handing over a dime. Instead they chose to attack the plaintiff and in their defense reportedly even made claims that the parts of her anatomy that were most seriously harmed didn't serve much if any specialized purpose for a woman of her age.

Before the 'McDonald's coffee case' I never knew that their coffee was served much hotter than most other restaurants and was even hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns. If anything, not knowing that McDonald's coffee was significantly hotter is what made people more careless than they otherwise might be. Now we all know and, more importantly, the temperature of their coffee is now inline with most other restaurants anyway.

Sticking to your guns in this case only makes you look rather heartless in addition to your already demonstrated naivete. There is no doubt that frivolous lawsuits exist and are a miscarriage of justice. However, some of us feel that they are a necessary evil in order to continue to protect average citizens from those who would ignore or take advantage of them. In the tradeoff between protecting companies from frivolous lawsuits or protecting average citizens from unscrupulous companies, who do YOU think needs more government protection?

[Edited 2006-06-21 00:36:41]

LSPA

Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:43 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 30):
May I suggest that you try not to chastise people and situations you haven't bothered to research?

This is not chastising people at all actually. It's making a comparison of famous, in Europe known as stupid, lawsuits.
Another example would be the lady that tried to dry her dog in the microwaver. If you call this chastising people, well, hell, I wouldn't be the only one. Cause of the fame this case got and it's credibility for stupidity a lot more people share my view.
But again, was just a comparison, because here, this lawsuit is more of a mythful joke. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by telling it.  Yeah sure

Quoting SATX (Reply 40):
Sticking to your guns in this case only makes you look rather heartless in addition to your already demonstrated naivete.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand why people have to sue for every little, self inflicted accident. This is, say what you want, very distinct the US. Don't you have a compulsory health care that pays for shit like that???

Quoting SATX (Reply 40):
In the tradeoff between protecting companies from frivolous lawsuits or protecting average citizens from unscrupulous companies, who do YOU think needs more government protection?

Both.
~reach for the sky!

AirPacific747

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 39):
It's going nowhere because no matter how 'sure' you are, the numbers clearly tell a different story.

LOL! You really want the last word, don't you?  Wink Big grin

garnetpalmetto

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting LSPA (Reply 41):
Another example would be the lady that tried to dry her dog in the microwaver

And herein lies the problem. Rather than do research you rely on second-hand reports and assume them to be true. The "lady who tried to dry her dog in the microwave" story is an urban legend that's been around since the '70s. Of course the people begging for "tort reform" are more interested in encouraging these types of fanciful reports than actually paying attention to the truth in hopes that gullible individuals will fall for them.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

satx

Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting LSPA (Reply 41):
Another example would be the lady that tried to dry her dog in the microwaver.

Are you referring to yet another example of your naivete? Do you ever bother to research anything you spout on here?

Quoting LSPA (Reply 41):
If you call this chastising people, well, hell, I wouldn't be the only one. Cause of the fame this case got and it's credibility for stupidity a lot more people share my view.

Oh, it's great for proving stupidity alright, especially when you look at how many naive folks believed it without even bothering to look it up for themselves.

Quoting LSPA (Reply 41):
Sorry if I hurt your feelings by telling it.

Keep trying, kiddo, you've yet to even come close.

Quoting LSPA (Reply 41):
I'm sorry, I just don't understand why people have to sue for every little, self inflicted accident. This is, say what you want, very distinct the US.

Deep concern over frivolous lawsuits is very common in the US. Most are thrown out of court, but the few that remain seem to get 99% of the media's attention. The US has slowly been ratcheting down award amounts and fines for even the most heinous of corporate crimes, such that we are now creating an environment where even open-and-shut lawsuits resulting in maximum penalties are unlikely to impact the views and actions of larger corporations.

Quoting LSPA (Reply 41):
Don't you have a compulsory health care that pays for shit like that???

Roughly 60,000,000 Americans go without healthcare in any given year. How did you manage to miss that? Getting your information from someplace like FOX NEWS?

Quoting LSPA (Reply 41):
Quoting SATX (Reply 40):
In the tradeoff between protecting companies from frivolous lawsuits or protecting average citizens from unscrupulous companies, who do YOU think needs more government protection?

Both.

Can you explain why you think they need equal protection?

EWRCabincrew

Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:55 am

This story just once again shows people need to be the victim and not take responsibility for their own actions.

Where was the mother/father throughout this as this panned out? Why wasn't the mother more proactive in her child's life?

For the daughter to know how to set up her myspace account, know how to chat with people online, she would have to have some presence of mind to know what the hell she was doing.

She set up a time to meet someone, WTF!?!?! She meets someone online and doesn't have the audacity to tell her mom? If she went to meet them, without telling her mom, she knew what she was doing was wrong. They is no excuse for stupidity or ignorance in today's world.

Now on the other hand to set up an account, I quote from the article...
"To create an account, a MySpace user must list a name, an e-mail address, sex, country and date of birth"...what says you can't lie about those facts or what prevents you from making up any information?

Proper parenting, open communication with your children and teaching them all there is to know about the shit out there would have prevented this. At 14, you should know that it's bad to chat with someone you don't know and meet them without seeing them first. Let alone without your parent knowing.

Yes what he did was wrong. Who should bear the blame as well is the mother and to some extent, the daughter. Sounds cruel, but well then they should wake up.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS!!!!!

You can't cure stupid.
You can't cure stupid