jetjack74

Report: Hundreds Of WMDs Found In Iraq

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:26 am

Although, most of you will pu-pu this, but it appears that hundreds of WMD's have been uncovered in yet-to-be made oublic report. Let the flamewar begin.
WASHINGTON — The United States has found 500 chemical weapons in Iraq since 2003, and more weapons of mass destruction are likely to be uncovered, two Republican lawmakers said Wednesday.

"We have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, chemical weapons," Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., said in a quickly called press conference late Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html
Made from jets!

ANCFlyer

RE: Report: Hundreds Of WMDs Found In Iraq

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:33 am

Hmmm.

This will be an interesting thread . . .

Not exactly what I call vendication . . . but I'm glad thy were found before some insurgent assmonkey could use them against us or the coalition forces.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AeroWesty

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:39 am

It will certainly be interesting to see what the White House has to say. The DoD isn't speaking too highly of it:

Offering the official administration response to FOX News, a senior Defense Department official pointed out that the chemical weapons were not in useable conditions.

"This does not reflect a capacity that was built up after 1991," the official said, adding the munitions "are not the WMDs this country and the rest of the world believed Iraq had, and not the WMDs for which this country went to war."
International Homo of Mystery

USPIT10L

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
Although, most of you will pu-pu this, but it appears that hundreds of WMD's have been uncovered in yet-to-be made oublic report. Let the flamewar begin.
WASHINGTON — The United States has found 500 chemical weapons in Iraq since 2003, and more weapons of mass destruction are likely to be uncovered, two Republican lawmakers said Wednesday.

"We have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, chemical weapons," Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., said in a quickly called press conference late Wednesday afternoon.

I'm sorry, Jetjack, but I don't take ANYTHING Rick Santorum says seriously. Remember, he's trying desperately to get re-elected in a state that hates his guts. His opponent has a twenty-point lead on him in the latest poll.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

ltbewr

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:07 pm

There is a good chance that some residue of materials related to WMD's may have been found, from long destoryed or shut down facilities per direction of Saddam or the UN inspectors. One problem is that after the fall of Saddam, people all over Iraq took everything down to the soil or concrete floors to sell for scrap to make money on and in part as revenge upon Saddam. That probably took away some evidence that may have supported in a very limited way that WMD's existed up to 2003.

Mir

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Apparently, these are all weapons dating back before 1991. There's no question that Saddam at one point had WMDs - we know he used them, and we also know that we gave them to him. The question is whether he was a serious threat to anyone in 2003. It's unclear from the report what kind of shape these weapons are in, though it does use the word "degraded" - this is hardly proof that Iraq was a threat.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
I'm glad thy were found before some insurgent assmonkey could use them against us or the coalition forces.

This is certainly true. I do have to wonder, however, why people keep bringing WMDs up - I thought they were no longer the real reason for the war.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

yvrtoyyz

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Source: FOX News

Need I say more?

itsjustme

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
I thought they were no longer the real reason for the war.

Yeah, me too. I thought this week's excuse was we are in Iraq to fight the war on terror. Or did I miss the latest memo?

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 3):
I'm sorry, Jetjack, but I don't take ANYTHING Rick Santorum says seriously.

Rick Santorum, now there's a credible source.

MDorBust

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting YVRtoYYZ (Reply 6):

Need I say more?

Yeah, you really do. Since they include the actual document in the report.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Iraq_WMD_Declassified.pdf

Unless you think FOX now writes House of Representatives reports...
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

jetjack74

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Not exactly what I call vendication

Agreed, but I thought it was still worth mentioning, and to see the reaction from those who claimed that Iraq had no WMD's. If Saddam was lying about these, then what else was he lying about?

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 3):
Remember, he's trying desperately to get re-elected in a state that hates his guts.

As is Rep Jon Murtha. He's just as desparate with his pathetic anti-war rhetoric, his attmept to rally the anti-war goons over the war that he voted for, and now is selling our troops down the river like Sen lurch Kerry. As for Santorum, he's always that far down in every election, and then he comes back and wins. That's PA politics for you. 20 points down this far out in an election is nothing new. Just plenty of time for his opponent to screw up.
Made from jets!

Confuscius

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:20 pm

Ain't I a stinker?

andessmf

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 10):
Actually WMDs were found but not in Iraq.

Are you sure?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/07/07/iraq.nuclear/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3872201.stm
http://www.forbes.com/finance/feeds/afx/2005/09/23/afx2241585.html

Then again, I might be providing too many right-wing news sites.  sarcastic 

USPIT10L

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:38 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 9):
Just plenty of time for his opponent to screw up.

I doubt Bob Casey will screw up this time. I know people in Pittsburgh have had it with Santorum. For example, do you remember when Specter and Santorum came to Carnegie to see the devastation from the flooding two years ago? Specter was stunned. Santorum could not have cared less what had happened. Oh, yeah, and you heard his kids go to charter school since they spend most of their time in DC, right? The only way Santorum would get re-elected is if hell froze over in PHL and PIT. It really doesn't matter what the middle of the state says anymore.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

AeroWesty

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:40 pm

20 points down this far out in an election is nothing new. Just plenty of time for his opponent to screw up.

Wait, wait, I thought that's the GOP explanation for the only way Dems are gonna win.  scratchchin 

Mir

Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:05 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 7):
I thought this week's excuse was we are in Iraq to fight the war on terror. Or did I miss the latest memo?

I thought it was to help the Iraqis establish a democratic government. I can never keep up with that stuff anyway.

No wonder we're spinning our wheels over there - we have no idea what we're actually supposed to be doing!

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ANCFlyer

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Need I say more?

Yeah, how about something substantive instead of drivel. Fox news QUOTED a US Senator . . . perhaps you think he's as off the wall as Fox news??? CNN reported it as did NBC. What say you - does  footinmouth  taste okay tonight?

Agreed, but I thought it was still worth mentioning,

Damn skippy worth mentioning. No intention to rain on your news parade here.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jcs17

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:19 pm

That doesn't matter, the point of the matter is... it doesn't matter at all! Bush is a hate-mongerer, and Cheney is still lining his pockets with Halliburton cash!

The fact of the matter is:

Bush lied, troops died!

and

No war for oil!

and

End US imperialism

and

Stop supporting genocide in Palestine!

and

Florida's elections were rigged in 2000! Re-vote!

[Edited 2006-06-22 07:44:33]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

ANCFlyer

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 18):
Cheney is still lining his pockets with Halliburton cash!

Proof, Source?

Bush lied, troops died!

Proof, Source?

war for oil!

Proof, Source?

Stop supporting genocide in Palestine!

rotfl 

Geezus, you must be drinking some heavy duty bullshit water tonight JCS.

[Edited 2006-06-22 07:46:25]

darrenthe747

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:38 pm

we can't win that war until we know why exactly we are there. initially it was WMD. then when there weren't any, they changed it to Iraqi freedom, then to terrorism...hell i don't know. what's the reason now??

and to see the reaction from those who claimed that Iraq had no WMD's.

America knows he had WMD from the beginning becasue we gave them to him. The question at the time of the invasion was whether or not they were DEVELOPING or capable of developing new WMD's. It was proven that he was not, and this pile probably have US serial numbers stamped on them somewhere.
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

Confuscius

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:41 pm

"...Bush is a hate-mongerer, and Cheney is still lining his pockets with Halliburton cash!

The fact of the matter is: Bush lied, troops died! and No war for oil! and End US imperialism and Stop supporting genocide in Palestine!"

You said it brother! You've finally seen the light!! Allelujah!!!
 Big grin
Ain't I a stinker?

andessmf

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:38 pm

Quoting Darrenthe747 (Reply 20):
America knows he had WMD from the beginning becasue we gave them to him. The question at the time of the invasion was whether or not they were DEVELOPING or capable of developing new WMD's. It was proven that he was not, and this pile probably have US serial numbers stamped on them somewhere

First, check your sources on who gave weapons to the Iraqis. After all, their reactor was a gift from the French.

Second, lets not move the goalposts. The mantra was 'no WMDs', therefore, anything that could be used for WMDs or is WMDs are another reason for the invasion. Using your logic, if Saddam was known to have nukes, and those nukes were unaccounted for, that would not be a reason for invasion since after all "The question at the time of the invasion was whether or not they were DEVELOPING or capable of developing new WMD's".

Please see the links provided above for a further read on URANIUM found in Iraq in 2004

[Edited 2006-06-22 08:51:30]

HAWK21M

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Interesting Find after a long time.If true  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

itsjustme

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
CNN reported it as did NBC.

ANC, can you point me in the right direction? I have checked websites from CNN, MSNBC, and ABC and I cannot locate the story. Yet, it is displayed quite prominently on the main page of the Fox News website (with a bit of a misleading headline, no less) . Is it possible Fox News might be sensationalizing this just a wee bit?

darrenthe747

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 23):
The mantra was 'no WMDs', therefore, anything that could be used for WMDs or is WMDs are another reason for the invasion.

I stand corrected:

"Our intelligence officials estimate that Saddam Hussein had the materials to produce as much as 500 tons of sarin, mustard and VX nerve agent.”

State of the Union Address – 1/28/2003

“We have also discovered through intelligence
that Iraq has a growing fleet of manned and unmanned aerial vehicles that could be used to disperse chemical or biological weapons across broad areas."

State of the Union Address – 1/28/2003

"Satellite photographs reveal that Iraq is rebuilding facilities at [past nuclear] sites."

Bush speech to the nation – 10/7/2002

"We gave him a chance to allow the inspectors in, and he wouldn't let them in."

Bush Press Conference 7/14/2003
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

ANCFlyer

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:59 pm

First, check your sources on who gave weapons to the Iraqis.

The last US weapons given the Iraqi's were ancient and - somewhere there is a thread with the correct data, model numbers, years, etc - was 30 years ago??? Maybe longer? He's wrong, dead wrong, way wrong, and is a moot point.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 25):
I have checked websites from CNN, MSNBC, and ABC and I cannot locate the story.

Local Channel 2 NBC News had it. www.ktuu.com. Surprised you can't find it elsewhere.

Yup, whenever Fox aires something - it's always best to double check . . . fair and balanced means checking BBC and CNN and NBC also.

Is it possible Fox News might be sensationalizing this just a wee bit?

Absolutely. Welcome to Fox. Doesn't lesseon the fact they were found - unless Santorum is a liar. (**Cue Santorum is a liar post from someone**).

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/21/iraq.senate/index.html

Santorum and Hoekstra released a newly declassified military intelligence report that said coalition forces have found 500 munitions in Iraq that contained degraded sarin or mustard nerve agents, produced before the 1991 Gulf War

[Edited 2006-06-22 09:08:47]

baylorairbear

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:09 pm

Cheney is still lining his pockets with Halliburton cash!

You, my friend, are the last person that has room to talk about living off of someone else.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 22):
Either that or some doo-doo-butter flavoured Kool-Aid

I've had doo-doo-butter falvoured Kool-Aid before, and it ain't nearly as good as the name suggests.  spit 

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

scbriml

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:18 pm

Please wake me up when there's some real news.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:27 pm

chemical weapons,

such weapons reportedly WERE used in war-actions against people in Northern Iraq, under the command of "Chemical Ali". The worst is that a lot of the stuff they presumably did have in the 1980ies and which met its expiry-date (most likely between 1994 and 1999) possibly was disposed of by simply throwing it away or burying it locally. Kuwaiti scientists already some years ago claimed to have found traces of such stuff in the water offshore. At worst a looming environmental disaster.

dragon-wings

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 27):
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/21/iraq.senate/index.html

Santorum and Hoekstra released a newly declassified military intelligence report that said coalition forces have found 500 munitions in Iraq that contained degraded sarin or mustard nerve agents, produced before the 1991 Gulf War

From the same article "Democrats said a lengthy 2005 report from the top U.S. weapons inspector contemplated that such munitions would be found."
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

jetjack74

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:31 pm

I have checked websites from CNN, MSNBC, and ABC and I cannot locate the story.

And when Dan Rather and 60 Minutes reported the Bill Burkett story about Bush's phoney ANG documents story, I had a hard time finding another news outlet willing to touch that lead.
Made from jets!

itsjustme

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:36 pm

Local Channel 2 NBC News had it. www.ktuu.com. Surprised you can't find it elsewhere.

Thanks. I thought maybe you were referring to the cable channels and not the net. I'm at work but thanks to a severe case of the scoots, I've spent more time in the station than on the road tonight and we don't get cable here (frickin' cheap ass city council wouldn't approve it in the budget) so I haven't been able to catch any of the 24 hour news channels.

RichardPrice

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:41 pm

First, check your sources on who gave weapons to the Iraqis. After all, their reactor was a gift from the French.

Actually their first reactor was a gift from the US in 1967, a 5MW light water reactor at Tehran University.

In 1974 France signed an agreement to build 2 reactors in Iran, neither were completed and the further 2 planned never came to fruition.

In 1978 the US signed an agreement to build 8 reactors in Iran.

In the 1970s West Germany begins building the Bushehr reactor, and has plans for seven more reactors.

In the 1980s both Argentina and Spain entered talks with Iran to rebuild the Bushehr reactor, but nothing was signed.

In the 1990s, China supplies two research reactors and signs plans to build an unknown number of reactors in Iran.

Im not even going to go into Russias involvement.

[Edited 2006-06-22 10:04:37]

AeroWesty

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:46 pm

Please see the links provided above for a further read on URANIUM found in Iraq in 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the nuclear material that was removed, from a previously known and declared facility? It wasn't anything that was surprising to find, and the links supplied earlier were just reporting that it was being safely disposed of.

From this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d.../june/7/newsid_3014000/3014623.stm

... that reported on the Israeli raid on the Osirak reactor in 1981, Iraq had two other facilities, in addition to the Tuwaitha Nuclear Research Center.

"The Osirak reactor is part of a complex that includes a second, smaller reactor - also French-built - and a Soviet-made test reactor already in use."

andessmf

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 35):
It wasn't anything that was surprising to find

I know, but I thought the idea was that he had nothing.

AeroWesty

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:55 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 36):

He had low-grade uranium all the time. I think it was the whole yellowcake from Niger issue that was one of the reasons for the invasion.

andessmf

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
He had low-grade uranium all the time

And low grade uranium can be easily used for dirty bombs.

RichardPrice

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:05 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 36):

No the idea was that he had lots of stuff undeclared. The UN had huge amounts of materials and equipment under seal prior to the invasion.

andessmf

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:08 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 39):
The UN had huge amounts of materials and equipment under seal prior to the invasion.

Right, and what was there to stop Iraq from breaking the seals to get whatever they wanted?

RichardPrice

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:21 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 40):
Right, and what was there to stop Iraq from breaking the seals to get whatever they wanted?

The fact that it would have taken them months, even years to produce something usable from that material, during which time the UNSC would have met and decided on action. The breaking of seals would have held more weight with the UNSC than the report the US and UK put before them in 2003.

Braybuddy

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:37 pm

the anti-war goons

Are you telling us there are still some people in the States who actually think the war in Iraq was a qood idea?

andessmf

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 41):
The breaking of seals would have held more weight with the UNSC than the report the US and UK put before them in 2003.

Like the breaking of seals in North Korea and Iran?

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 35):
the Tuwaitha Nuclear Research Center.

the IAEC (Iraqi Atomic Energy Commission) in Tuwaitha-Baghdad in the 1980ies acquired scientific material (instruments and chemicals) of US-American and British and Italian origin with (for the chemicals) expiry-dates of between 1991 and 1997 . So that most such stuff in 2001/03 no longer was useable.

RichardPrice

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:06 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 43):
Like the breaking of seals in North Korea and Iran?

NK has nuclear weapons, and Irans removal of seals was done under IAEA supervision with monitoring equipment left in place and active, because it was done under rights granted under the NPT.

TedTAce

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:58 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,....html

JetJoke posted an article that's UNDER 3 years old?!?!? Wow! Wow! Wow!

Too bad it's as full of stuffing as he is

This is funney:
"Asked why the Bush administration, if it had known about the information since April or earlier, didn't advertise it, Hoekstra conjectured that the president has been forward-looking and concentrating on the development of a secure government in Iraq."

Bush "forward-looking"  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

[Edited 2006-06-22 12:20:00]
This space intentionally left blank

texan

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:43 pm

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

md80fanatic

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:51 pm

Okay then, so Mr. Rumsfeld lied yet again last month when asked by ex-CIA analyst Ray McGovern about his earlier statements regarding Iraq's WMDs. Rumsfeld said that there were not any WMDs as he had previously thought and stated in the run up to the war. NOW we learn that since 2003 we have actually known about and found evidence of WMDs. What's the truth?

Who knows and who cares anyway? We hear whatever they want us to hear, based on how they need the poll numbers scewed. It's fake news people, fake, fake, fake. Don't buy the Orwellian doublespeak.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 48):
What's the truth?

Suggest you ask Mr Rumsfeld, the expert in matters of the unknown unknowns. What of course WAS found in Iraq is ABC-weaponry out-of-date and no longer useable, and what was NOT found is ABC-weapons fully in service. HAD the USA gone ahead with the invasion of Iraq in 1991, the picture would have been totally and entirely different.

jaysit

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:07 pm

The Pentagon has rebuked Santorum for making these idiotic comments.

These pre-1991 degraded weapons were not the reason we went to war. Their presence was known as far back as the early 1990s. If that's the reason we went to war, then why weren't we told back in 2003. Or in 2001 for that matter.

More lies and thievery and deceit from the desperate GOP.

And as usual, the Dems are too busy trying to find Nancy Pelosi's non-existent balls to respond.

Thankfully, the Pentagon at least has some balls left to respond to crass and desperate liars.

And, you Jetjack74 are just full of Santorum. As is that liar Newt Gingrich who was stupidly blabbering on FoxNews last night on these "WMDs." Yes, Newt, we know that your political career got flushed down the toilet a long time ago, but shouldn't you be trying to save your Nth marriage instead of wasting your time making a damned fool of yourself on the Punch and Judy Show?

[Edited 2006-06-22 15:12:24]
Atheism is Myth Understood.

deltadc9

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:18 pm

Need I say more?

Yes, as in why you cannot separate editorial content from the news.

Is it possible Fox News might be sensationalizing this just a wee bit?

Absolutely. Welcome to Fox. Doesn't lesseon the fact they were found - unless Santorum is a liar. (**Cue Santorum is a liar post from someone**).

See above

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 42):
Are you telling us there are still some people in the States who actually think the war in Iraq was a qood idea?

Varies between 40 and 60%

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 50):

No, just confusion.

Does anyone ever look at a map? If you did, you would see why the US considers Iraq strategically important.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

jaysit

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:29 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 51):
Quoting Jaysit (Reply 50):

No, just confusion.

LOL. Confusion?

Yes, and Clinton was confused as to the meaning of sex too.

Confusion has now become the euphemism for lies for desperate politicians and their minions everywhere.

You don't make definitive statements like that if you're confused.

It these were the WMDs, then our great boy prince, GWB himself would have marched up to the podium and trumpeted it, surrounded by a bevy of Pentagon types. Instead, we get these third rate minions like Santorum and Hoekstra out there spewing garbage, which the journalistic dumpster, FoxNews, promptly latches on to.
Atheism is Myth Understood.