rjpieces

Israel’s First Bedouin Envoy

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:18 am

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3266233,00.html

Fascinating article about minority life in Israel. A great read...especially for those on this site who are unaware of minority life in Israel.

Excerpts:
In a few weeks Ismail Khaldi, a 35-year old Bedouin shepherd from the village of Khawalid in the Zevulun Valley, will leave his family and move to the United States to serve as Israeli consul in San Francisco, as the first Bedouin diplomat.

There is nothing trivial in the life of Khaldi. The settlers see him as a fifth column, Israeli Arabs curse him as a Zionist, and people around the world who oppose Israel’s policies call him the Josef Goebbels of the Jewish state. Khaldi himself has no problem explaining how a member of a minority group represents the State of Israel.

“I grew up among Israeli Jews, mostly members of Kibbutz Kfar Hamaccabi. And they never made me feel different. I always felt equal. This is the Jewish state, but I am part of the country, and my identity is Israeli, not Palestinian.”
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"