oli80

Wimbledon 2006

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:53 pm

So, it's that time again. The draws have been made and there are some great first round matches to look forward to.

Men's singles

Women's singles

For me, the pick of the men's draw is Federer vs. Gasquet. This should be a cracking game. I think that although Gasquet is still quite young, he still has the potential on grass to push Federer all the way.

The pick of the women's draw would have to be Mirza vs. Dementieva. This game could provide a big upset with Dementieva seeded 7.

AeroWesty

RE: Wimbledon 2006

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:38 pm

I've already reset my alarm, early-round play begins at 5AM on Monday here!  silly 
International Homo of Mystery

oli80

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:20 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
I've already reset my alarm, early-round play begins at 5AM on Monday here!

Is the tv coverage better for Wimbledon than the French? And that is quite early!! I'll be at work so unable to watch the first few matches.  Sad

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 2):
Is the tv coverage better for Wimbledon than the French?

Not really. Same stupid franchise rules. Cable during the week, then 3-hour tape delay on NBC for the first weekend and the semi's, then the finals live. The theme music is better for Wimbledon though. Dah-duh-dah-dut-dut-dut-dah-duh-duh-dah-dut-dut-dut-dah, dut-dut-dut-dah!

[Edited 2006-06-24 15:31:01]

VHVXB

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:47 pm

Should be an intresting tournment. Many of the experts down here are happy that Hewitt is not on same side of draw as Federer but we will wait and see if he gets there first.

Alessandro

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:26 am

Well, I wonder how fit Nadal is? He could stirr things up, he moved really well
at Queens, but his shoulder wasn´t up for it.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

AeroWesty

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:15 am

Bah, rain delay. I woke up this morning to the Federer-Roddick 2005 final and thought WTF?

oli80

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:08 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
Bah, rain delay. I woke up this morning to the Federer-Roddick 2005 final and thought WTF?

That's got to piss you off, waking up early to a re-run. Oh well, today should be good weather and play all day. I have court 1 tickets for tomorrow, so fingers crossed for sunny weather (which it should be according to BBC weather).

Gasguet isn't doing as well as I thought he would. I don't think he put up much resistance in the first set (mind you, I didn't see it). And Hingis is doing well, winning the first set 6-2 before being rained off.

legoguy

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:21 pm

Ahhhh dam the rain!!!

I spent an hour and a half cheering at the TV, hoping Andy Murray would win against David Nalbandian! I never noticed the big R in the top corner indicating it was a reply. DAMN!!!!

So after an hour and a half of cheering, Andy Murray was winning by two sets, then sue parker comes on the screen.....'Andy Murray won the first two sets, then fatigue came in to play and he lost the next three sets...that was a great match and of course everyone will reember that match for LAST YEAR'.

DAMN!!! What a waste of 2 hours of my life cheering at a reply! DOH!!
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

AeroWesty

Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 7):
I have court 1 tickets for tomorrow

Lucky bugger ... enjoy!  Smile

ESPN2 just broke in to the Agassi match to carry the last game of the Henman match. Imagine, 5 sets in his first round, then has to play Federer next! Shaping up to be a great fortnight.

nighthawk

Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 8):
DAMN!!! What a waste of 2 hours of my life cheering at a reply! DOH!!

You turned to the TV seeking entertainment. You were granted 2 hours of entertainment. How is that a waste?  Silly

oli80

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):
Lucky bugger ... enjoy!

Cheers! I'll post some pics on here.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):
ESPN2 just broke in to the Agassi match to carry the last game of the Henman match. Imagine, 5 sets in his first round, then has to play Federer next!

Sad to say that I missed the match. Was at work  Sad Does set up a good 2nd round fixture. I am a bit surprised that Gasguet didn't pose more of a threat to Federer. I had predicted this as one of the good round 1 matches. How wrong was I.  Wink

The Agassi game looks like it could turn into a long one! Come on Agassi!!

ndebelebev

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:12 am

Henman's out.

Foregone conclusion or what?

Bev xx
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

AeroWesty

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 12):
Henman's out.

I think he just didn't want to create a ruckus of being in the Men's Final the same day England plays the World Cup final on July 9th.  Wink

ndebelebev

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:26 am

Yeah because the great British public wouldn't be able to decide who to watch to laugh at more... Henman getting slaughtered in the Final or the England team getting slaughtered in the other Final.

Bev xx
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

ZRH

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 14):
Henman getting slaughtered in the Final or the England team getting slaughtered in the other Final.

Henman already got slaughtered in the second round and I doubt that the English will team play in the WC final.

oli80

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:15 pm

Wow! What a day yesterday. Turns out we had front row tickets for court 1 opposite the umpire's chair (so no impeded view either)!! Amazing seats!!! My pictures will follow later today maybe (at work now).

We saw the Sharapova game, Roddick game, the last part of the Ancic game and the Hingis game on court 1.

We also wondered around a bit and saw the end of the Ivanovic game, saw the first set of the Mirza vs. Dementieva game, saw Vaidisova finish off Bonderenko and at the end we also saw the last bit of the Santoro Berdych game (which almost resulted in a fight between the two!).

One of the highlights for the day was watching Agassi and Nadal warm up on adjacent courts in the practice court area. Nadal is much taller than I thought, maybe because he wasn't wearing those ridiculous shorts.

Actually, another highlight of the day was seeing Ana Ivanovic come off court, wearing white, hot and sweaty so her dress was quite, uhmmm, put it this way, I enjoyed the view!  Wink

Anyway, tried to sneak into the Henman Federer game but got busted, so didn't see any of that. Just wanted to taste the atmosphere.  Wink

The only downside to yesterday was that it was hot, didn't have much to eat and drank lots of beer and got home quite late. Up at 6.30 am to go to work and absolutely shattered! And I've got my own tennis tonight!!

Off to Wimbledon again on Saturday to watch the 3rd round games and some doubles. Just ground tickets on Saturday, but that is the beauty, all 3rd round matches played on one day (men and women) so lots of good games on the outer courts.

VHVXB

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:57 pm

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 16):

Oh I'd love to be there. So who has impressed you so far through out the tournment Oil??

oli80

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 17):
So who has impressed you so far through out the tournment

Federer has obviously done very well. Gasguet was in good form coming off the back of the Nottingham win, but Federer had no problems with him whatsoever. Henman (although not in good shape) was pushed aside with ease as well, and on Henmans beloved centre court too.

Seeing Sharapova yesterday made me think that she has to be in with a good chance. Smashnova isn't a bad player, but Sharapova just demolished her.

I don't think Roddick will do it this year. He looked very uncomfortable yesterday against Tipsarevic in the first set and struggled through the first 3.

Should be a great tournament though. And the weather (thank god!) looks like it will hold out.

AeroWesty

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 16):
Wow! What a day yesterday. Turns out we had front row tickets for court 1 opposite the umpire's chair (so no impeded view either)!! Amazing seats!!! My pictures will follow later today maybe (at work now).

Wow is right. I wanna see those pix! Sounds like you had a great time.  Smile

LSPA

Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:00 am

that's why i love Wimbeldon (and Tennis )  Wink
~reach for the sky!

A340600

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:18 am

Wow! What a fantastic match it was on centre this evening with Murray. Shame it wasn't concluded, was good to see a match not full of just big hits but exciting and varied shots,

Sam Smile
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

legoguy

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 21):

I missed the Tennis today apart from abit of the Nedal match. What happened in the Murray match. Last I heard he was down 4-2 in first set...

oli80

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):
I wanna see those pix!

Hey AeroWesty, sorry, but I haven't had time this evening.

I had my own tennis league tonight, which I kicked ass in!!

1st match was 6-2 6-2. In the second set, I was 3-2 up and the guy called 2 consecutive shots long. It was a joke because the white dust from the line popped up so we had to play both points again. Cheating Bastard! Anyway, I was enraged, and it worked a charm, because he only won 1 point in the remaining games.  Big grin

Second match was against tougher opposition, but I really stepped up my game. 6-0 6-0. Played some of the best tennis this year with some amazing gets. I really wanted it more than he did.

Anyway, enough about me  Wink

The Nadal match today was great. Quite a comeback, but in all fairness, seeded at number 2, he should have done much better. Leaves for a very entertaining 3rd matchup between him and Agassi (which will be on Saturday). I wonder what court that match will be on.  Wink If I had money to bet, I would put it on Agassi. He appeared to be hitting the ball quite well the other day. nice and flat for the grass. Nadal, I think, hits with too much topspin for this surface, and more importantly, his game is seriously lacking net play.

Will try and post the pics tomorrow, if not, it will be Sunday. But will have double pics then (Wednesday and Saturday)!!

AeroWesty

Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 23):
I had my own tennis league tonight, which I kicked ass in!!

Heh, sounds like you did!

So did you get to see Nadal today? We got Agassi/Nadal on TV this morning, and Murray/Roddick this afternoon (something like 5 1/2 hours delayed). It was funny to hear them go on about England just having lost their WC match when I knew that result hours ago.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:28 am

Here's a recording of Maria Sharapova getting spanked: LINK

Oh baby, baby....               

Mark  Wink

[Edited 2006-07-02 02:50:49]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

legoguy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:09 am

Well Murray today was brilliant. The game was thrilling the entire way through with Murray pulling some great shots out of the bag. Will be great to see how far he can get in Wimbledon this year!

VHVXB

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:02 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 27):
Well Murray today was brilliant. The game was thrilling the entire way through with Murray pulling some great shots out of the bag. Will be great to see how far he can get in Wimbledon this year!

Yeah it was a good win by Murray knocking off the fomer Wimbledon champion Roddick in straight sets too. He has alredy had same big wins under his belt throughtout his short career so far. Pretty sad that Agassi lost but he has had his time.
So far the womens draw hasn't sprung a few upset but we wait and see in the next round

legoguy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 28):
Pretty sad that Agassi lost but he has had his time.

True but hopefully he will be back as a comentator. I was abitsad to see him going off for the last ever time!

So far the womens draw hasn't sprung a few upset but we wait and see in the next round

Venus Williams defeated...but...yea I guess that wasn't a surprise she hasn't been that good recently. Go Sharapova, or Justine Henin-Hardine!!

Yeah it was a good win by Murray knocking off the fomer Wimbledon champion Roddick in straight sets too.

What I thought was also brilliant was how Murray stayed on court afterwards to sign autographs for a good 15 to 20 minutes. Always nice to see. If only others followed by his example!

VHVXB

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 29):
Venus Williams defeated...but...yea I guess that wasn't a surprise she hasn't been that good recently.

Yeah true she hasn't been in good form lately.

True but hopefully he will be back as a comentator. I was abitsad to see him going off for the last ever time!

Lets hope he wins his last grand slam would be a fitting end.

What I thought was also brilliant was how Murray stayed on court afterwards to sign autographs for a good 15 to 20 minutes. Always nice to see. If only others followed by his example!

So who does Murray meet in the next round?? Possible clash with Hewitt who he has beaten before??

legoguy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 30):
So who does Murray meet in the next round?? Possible clash with Hewitt who he has beaten before??

Ive no idea, but whoever it is, Im with Murray 100% of the way!!! Big grin Big grin

VHVXB

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:23 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 31):
Ive no idea, but whoever it is, Im with Murray 100% of the way!!!

Just checked the draw and Andy Murray plays Marcos Baghdatis this years Australian RU should be a good game. If he wins he either meets Hewitt or David ferrer

gkirk

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:18 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 30):
Ive no idea, but whoever it is, Im with Murray 100% of the way!!! Big grin Big grin

Aye, especially as he has said he doesn't like the English Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

VHVXB

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:38 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 32):
Aye, especially as he has said he doesn't like the English

Oh yeah thats right he his Scotish isn't he?

oli80

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 27):
fomer Wimbledon champion Roddick

Roddick hasn't won Wimbledon.  Wink The only slam he has won was the US open.

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 31):
Andy Murray plays Marcos Baghdatis

Baghdatis looked quite good against Grosjean last night. Hit some great shots, but I think Big John defeated himself to be honest. He had chucked in the towel long before the game was over.

Had a great day yesterday again. Joined the famous Wimbledon queue at 7am and was in the ground by 11am. Only ground passes yesterday but still saw some great games.

Opened by watching Ivanovic vs. Safina on court 13 which was an awesome game to start the day off with. Safina won the first, but Ivanovic battled back winning the second in the breaker, and third 6-4 (IIRC).

After that game we watched Ancic, Grosjean, Hewitt and Roddick warming up on court 10. Amazing watching them practice. You can really see the processes they go through.

After that, we returned to Court 13 to watch Ferrer against Gonzalez, which was the best game we saw all day. Gonzalez game out of the blocks fast. Hitting hard and amazing shots. Ferrer did very well though, and won the 3rd, 4th and 5th to clinch a 4th round match.

Then went on to watch a Vaidisova women's doubles match. Not the greatest tennis, but she is great to watch. Beautiful and great technique. She is going to be one to watch out for in the future!

We then watched Jarko Niemenen play his 3rd round match on court 3 which was a bit of a walk in the park for him. Played well, although nearly lost the 4th and needed several match points to finish it off.

Then we struck luck! The friend I had gone with was Italian, and we wanted to watch the Grosjean vs. Baghdatis game (which lucky for us, had been moved from court 1 to court 3) but it was soo busy to start with, so we watched the Penneta vs Safina mixed doubles. There were some spare seats in the players guest area, so my friend asked them if we could sit in them. They said yes, so we watched the whole match from the players guests area. Penneta kept on walking past talking to us. It was quite amazing!!

Watched the remaining part of the Grosjean vs. Baghdatis game and then headed home.

Great day again, but boy was it hot!! Not much shade either at Wimbledon, but still very worth it.

Wimbledon has shown us some great tennis so far. Some really good matches, and of course it's great to see a Scot doing so well.  Wink

Pictures of my 2 days at Wimbledon are being sorted (have over 200 of them) and will appear soon.

AeroWesty

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 34):
Had a great day yesterday again.

Thanks for all your reports from the courts. Different perspective than what comes across from the TV. Glad to hear you had another great day there!  bigthumbsup 

legoguy

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 32):
Aye, especially as he has said he doesn't like the English

Once I think about it, even though Im british...I tend to support Scotland more!! Although I was supporting England in the world cup and Button in the F1, I also like David Coulthard (who doesn't) and Andy Murray! Lets go Murray!!

Out of interest, was there any Wimbledon action today? I didn't see any tv today apart from Grandprix as I was out playin Tennis after the inspirational match of Murray yesterday!

Also, there is a heat wave in Britain this week...not good news for those line judges and players at Wimbledon!

AeroWesty

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 36):
Out of interest, was there any Wimbledon action today?

Except on very rare occasions, I can only think of one in recent years, the Middle Sunday is dark on the courts.

Aleksandar

Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:15 am

Great report. Thanks! Now, you forgot to mention strawberries.

Safina won the first, but Ivanovic battled back winning the second in the breaker, and third 6-4 (IIRC).

Little Ana is getting better and better and she is a fighter always ready to risk. Have you seen Jelena Jankovic? Personally, her win over V. Williams really surprised me and I'm glad she's playing good again.

Now, there is a good match between Novak Djokovic and Mario Ancic. In the interview, Novak said that he knows how to play against Mario and Ana said something like that about Mauresmo. We'll see.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

oli80

Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 38):
Little Ana is getting better and better and she is a fighter always ready to risk.

I do like watching her play. I saw her play last year on the middle Saturday too, only then she was beaten by Mary Pierce. This year however, she looked much improved and a lot more confident. She did make a few unforced errors in the first, but as I said, her determination is what came through at the end, and she actually won the third 6-1 or 6-2. I also think that her game is quite suited to grass. She has a big serve and could cause problems for Mauresmo. But, she is young (18 I believe) and nerves could play a part, especially if the game is on centre court or court 1 (which it almost definitely will be due to the fact Mauresmo is playing).,

Have you seen Jelena Jankovic?

I saw her play a few months ago on tv, but only briefly. I was actually stood outside centre court checking the score boards when I was nearly pushed over, it was Williams and her security pushing me out of the way as she was trying to make her way back from court 2 to the locker room. I quickly got my camera out and was able to snap a pic. Shortly afterwards, Jankovic walked passed as well, so I managed a pic of her too.  Wink

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 36):
Out of interest, was there any Wimbledon action today?

The only time there is tennis on the middle Sunday is if they need to use it to catch up for any rain delay.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 35):
Thanks for all your reports from the courts.

Great report. Thanks!

cheers!  Wink

Another lovely day here in London, and there are some mouth watering games to look forward to. My favourites would be Ancic vs. Djokovic in the men's, and Sharapova vs. Penneta in the women's.

Federer vs. Berdych will be a good game as well as Tursunov vs. Niemenen.

VHVXB

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:37 pm

Roddick hasn't won Wimbledon. The only slam he has won was the US open.

oh yeah thats right he was runner up twice before.

Aleksandar

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 39):
which it almost definitely will be due to the fact Mauresmo is playing

It seems that Ana is not too impressed with Mauresmo, espcially after last year's Roland Garros when she won, but everything is possible. In case Ana and Jelena win today, they'll play against each other in QF and it means that one Serbian player will reach SF.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Alessandro

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:40 pm

Aerowesty, isn´t the first Sunday, members day at Wimbledon?
Nadal in the QF, I´m impressed of him.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

oli80

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:53 pm

What a great days tennis yesterday.

Here are the results for the men's competition:

R STEP'EK Cz 14 bt F VERD'CO Sp 28
6-7 (4-7) 6-3 4-6 6-4 6-2
L HEWITT Aus 6 bt D FERRER Sp 23
6-4 6-4 4-6 7-5
J Bjork'n Swe bt M Mirnyi Bls
6-3 7-6 (8-6) 4-6 2-6 6-3
M BAGHD'S Cyp 18 bt A Murray GB
6-3 6-4 7-6 (7-2)
R FEDERER Swi 1 bt T BERDYCH Cz 13
6-3 6-3 6-4
J NIEM'EN Fin 22 bt D TURS'OV Rus 27
7-5 6-4 6-7 (2-7) 6-7 (6-8) 9-7
M ANCIC Cro 7 bt N Djoko'c SeM
6-4 4-6 4-6 7-5 6-3
R NADAL Sp 2 bt I Labadze Geo
6-3 7-6 (7-4) 6-3

So the Nieminen vs. Turnsunov and the Ancic vs. Djokovic went the distance. I missed these games, but by the sounds of it they were excellent. I did catch some of the Nieminen match, but only a couple of games.

I saw Federer destroy Berdych, Murray putting on a terrible performance against Baghdatis and I caught a set or two of the Nadal match.

We do have a great Quarter final lined up now:

Roger Federer (Swi) (1) v Mario Ancic (Cro) (7)
Radek Stepanek (Cze) (14) v Jonas Bjorkman (Swe)
Lleyton Hewitt (Aus) (6) v Marcos Baghdatis (Cyp) (18)
Jarkko Nieminen (Fin) (22) v Rafael Nadal (Spa) (2)

Federer vs. Ancic!! Worthy of a final! That should be a great match! The Nadal and Hewitt matches will make for entertaining tennis too.

and the women's results from yesterday:

E DEM'EVA Rus 7 bt S Perry US
6-2 6-0
S Bremond Fr bt A SUGI'MA Jpn 18
7-6 (13-11) 6-3
J HENIN-H Bel 3 bt D HANT'VA Svk 15
6-3 6-1
M SHAR'VA Rus 4 bt F PENN'TA It 16
7-6 (7-5) 3-6 6-3
N LI Chn 27 bt N VAID'VA Cz 10
4-6 6-1 6-3
K CLIJ'RS Bel 2 bt A Rad'ska Pol
6-2 6-2
A MYSKINA Rus 9 bt J JANK'IC SeM 26
6-4 7-6 (7-5)
A MAUR'MO Fr 1 bt A IVAN'IC SeM 19
6-3 6-4

Pennetta did put up a fight, but Sharapova was too strong in the end. Myskina is also impressing me a lot! She seems to be playing a lot more aggressive at Wimbledon this year. She will have a very tough match in the next round though, playing the number 1 seed!:

Amelie Mauresmo (Fra) (1) v Anastasia Myskina (Rus) (9)
Maria Sharapova (Rus) (4) v Elena Dementieva (Rus) (7)
Severine Bremond (Fra) v Justine Henin-Hardenne (Bel) (3)
Na Li (Chn) (27) v Kim Clijsters (Bel) (2)

I guess the match that I'll be watching out of this group will be the fight between the Russians. I can see the top 4 seeds going through here which should make for a great last 4.

legoguy

Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:15 pm

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 43):
M BAGHD'S Cyp 18 bt A Murray GB
6-3 6-4 7-6 (7-2)

Sad He played so badly. I wonder where his performance disappeared to? Maybe next year! Not taking anything away from Baghdatis, he played quite well!

VHVXB

Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:11 pm

Baghdatis Hewitt match should be a good one. I'm hoping for a Hewitt Federer final

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 43):
I guess the match that I'll be watching out of this group will be the fight between the Russians. I can see the top 4 seeds going through here which should make for a great last 4.

I agree but the Sharapova Dementieva will be a good match but I think Dementieva might win but we will just have to wait and see

oli80

Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:49 am

Well, I guess it is no surprise that the 4 top seeds went through.

WOMEN'S SINGLES RESULTS
Quarter-final:
M SHAR'VA Rus 4 bt E DEM'EVA Rus 7
6-1 6-4
J HENIN-H Bel 3 bt S Bremond Fr
6-4 6-4
K CLIJ'RS Bel 2 bt N LI Chn 27
6-4 7-5
A MAUR'MO Fr 1 bt A MYSKINA Rus 9
6-1 3-6 6-3

I believe Mauresmo plays Sharapova now and we'll have the battle of Belgium. Both will be matches to remember, i'm sure. I just hope that we have a Clijsters Sharapova final.

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 42):
Aerowesty, isn´t the first Sunday, members day at Wimbledon

I'm not sure what you mean by Member's Day. I always thought the Middle Sunday was when they watered and groomed the courts for the following week.

GAH! Now I get to bitch about American TV coverage again.  silly  For the second week, ESPN2 starts at 5AM, goes until 10AM (9AM for the semi's), then NBC takes over, repeating what we already saw on ESPN2, then ESPN2 takes over at 1PM.

Now that that's out of my system, I don't know if I have any clear favorite at this point for either the men or women. There's been a lot of good, consistent tennis this year, and I'm just hoping for a 3-set and 5-set match in the finals.

mhodgson

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:35 am

Am I right in thinking that to win a match, a woman can play just two sets (obviously, subject to results), yet men must play 3?
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 48):
Am I right in thinking that to win a match, a woman can play just two sets (obviously, subject to results), yet men must play 3?

Correct. Best of 3 for the women, best of 5 for the men.