Alessandro
Topic Author

Should Oz Host The Soccer World Cup?

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:01 am

I think Oz could be a very good host for soccer World Cup, anyone else agree?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

EZYAirbus

RE: Should Oz Host The Soccer World Cup?

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:09 am

Totally agree, soccer is on the up in Australia with the fairly new 'A League' that they have now, some top stadiums in Australia too, after the success of putting on the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, i can see them putting on a very good world cup also!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Sabena332

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting Alessandro (Thread starter):
anyone else agree?

No, I hated it when the Football World Cup was hosted in Korea/Japan, the ganes were way to early - because of the time difference - and I didn't follow them at all because I had to work.

Ok, that was maybe a little bit too selfish but I have to say that I always love it when the World Cup is hosted in the same (or nearly the same) time zone than Germany is in, so I am glad that South Africa is the next host.  Wink

I hope for a South or Central American host in 2010, people there are also football crazy and the games would start at late evening here in Germany.

I would have no problem with a World Cup in Australia when someone would sponsor me an airline ticket and a few tickets for the stadiums.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

senorcarnival

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:34 am

I don't see why not. The U.S. hosted a WC when the sport was in a dormant state there and it looks like the sport is in a better shape in Australia than it was in the U.S. when they hosted it so I'd say Oz is ripe for the picking. Although the kick-off times would seriously suck.  yuck 
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

COTXDFW777AA

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:08 am

I think they will be choosing all the host sites with a symbolic weight from now on. South or Central america is next, a half assed bid from this region would beat out basically anything.
Texas- it's like a whole different country!

QANTAS077

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:16 am

we've got the facilities, we've got the peoples interest and the game is the 2nd most participated sport after swimming. You'd be attracting 105000+ to games at the MCG, 100000+ at Olympic Stadium and 45-60000 at other grounds around Australia.

If FIFA want's the games to succeed in this part of the world then it's only natural that we host it at some stage.

StarAC17

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 2):

I hope for a South or Central American host in 2010, people there are also football crazy and the games would start at late evening here in Germany.

South Africa is hosting it in 2010 and I believe that FIFA would like it in South America in 2014. Its most likely going to be in Brazil or Argentina then but the loaction hasn't yet been determined.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Sabena332

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:08 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 6):
South Africa is hosting it in 2010 and I believe that FIFA would like it in South America in 2014.

Thanks for the correction! My bad!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ltbewr

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:33 am

I am quite sure FIFA would like the 2014 WC in South American too, and Brazil would the best choice as they are a large country, with plenty of venues, sufficient tourist infrastructure and a better economy long term than Argentina. It has been far too long since Central/South American has held the WC and it is there turn.

Derico

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:50 am

very good host for soccer World Cup,

Australia would be a terrible and poor choice for a soccer world cup.

A football World Cup, Australia would be a nice choice.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 8):
I am quite sure FIFA would like the 2014 WC in South American too, and Brazil would the best choice as they are a large country, with plenty of venues, sufficient tourist infrastructure and a better economy long term than Argentina

I agree on all except the economic part. Both countries have somewhat similar economic performance in the last 10 years but in the last 20 Argetina has grown about 1/5 more than Brazil.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

bill142

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:58 am

Australia would be an ideal host. We have the facilities, we have the experience, would easily get public support and all we need is government and corporate support. Soccer is on the up here and hosting the World Cup would only help things.

Quoting Derico (Reply 9):
A football World Cup, Australia would be a nice choice.

We did. It was in 2003 and England were the unfortunate winners. In Australia "Football" has about four different meanings.

StarAC17

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 9):
Australia would be a terrible and poor choice for a soccer world cup.

Give it up, I know its logical to call it football but North America and even in Australia its called soccer and thats just a habit thats isn't going anywhere but we have a different sport called football and even though the feet is rarely used its not going to ever change.

TBCITDG

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:17 pm

Time to bring the cup down under. After all it would be the first time ever for the cup to be hosted in Oceania!!

BartiniMan

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:11 pm

No, I hated it when the Football World Cup was hosted in Korea/Japan, the ganes were way to early - because of the time difference - and I didn't follow them at all because I had to work.

Now you know how we feel every 4 years. So far in this WC the only decent match times were the 15:00 kick-offs, which was 23:00 local our time. Now that its elimination rounds all matches start at 1am or 5am.

'98-France = same problem as now
'06-Germany= same problem
'10 South Africa = same problem

Korea/Japan was great for our viewing times.

Hopefully if Australia hosts it in 2018, football will be the number 1 game followed in Australia, and maybe for once there will be something other than AFL covered in Newspapers, News, Sports Show, and general public crapping on about AFL.

Just FYI, pre-World Cup, the Newspapers here only ever had 1 or half a page dedicated to local/international football. And the news only ever showed 8 second clips of EPL highlights, which was only showed after 20mins of AFL coverage about how this guy scrathched his balls or about how that guy picked his nose. Disgraceful.
There is only one channel here (SBS free-to-air) that covers football. SO for football fans like me, football coverage in Australia in the past has been pitiful.

For Aussies:
I read that Eddie McEverywhere tried sealing the rights to all the World Cup matches for his crappy Channel 9. Reading that pissed me off so much, never before has he, or his Network, given a beattle's dick about Football, and then he tries getting the rights to cover the WC. Thank god Channel 9 didn't get the contract, otherwise we would have been left with pathetic uneducated commentory by Channel 9's sports team, who have'nt a farken clue what they're talking bout. Stick to AFL and Collingwood Eddie

I feel better now.

StarAC17

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:01 pm

Yes this sucked even more for me as the games were on even earler in the morning. South America would be great because the time zones are roughly the same as Canada. I rememver the final being on at 7am in 2002 and dozing while hearing the commentary.

Banco

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:54 pm

Quoting TBCITDG (Reply 12):
Time to bring the cup down under. After all it would be the first time ever for the cup to be hosted in Oceania!!

Except that in football terms Australia is now part of Asia, not Oceania, and thus must win as an Asian bid.

Quoting BartiniMan (Reply 13):
Now you know how we feel every 4 years

Indeed, but in reality Australia isn't important to FIFA in this regard. The big TV audiences are in Europe and South America. These two markets are the ones that matter in terms of TV revenue, advertising and so on and so forth. Holding a World Cup in Australia would be death for television in these markets.

No-one would doubt for a moment that Australia would hold an excellent World Cup, but would FIFA want to risk all that lovely money? That's why South Africa works as a venue - matches are at reasonable times in both Europe and South America, plus the growing market of Africa.

Football fans would undoubtedly get up at all hours to watch the games involving their teams, but that's not the point. What they wouldn't do is get up at all hours to watch all the games.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

melpax

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 5):
we've got the facilities, we've got the peoples interest and the game is the 2nd most participated sport after swimming. You'd be attracting 105000+ to games at the MCG, 100000+ at Olympic Stadium and 45-60000 at other grounds around Australia.

A World Cup final at the MCG would be fantastic!

Us Aussies know how to put on large events - Sydney Olympics in 2000, Rugby world cup in 03 & the Commonwealth games in Melbourne back in March. Melbourne also stages regular large events - the AFL grand final & the Formula 1 grand prix are 2 that come to mind.

We've had to put up with this for years - about time you guys suffered! Most of my office have been half-asleep for the past couple of weeks!
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Zen100

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:09 pm

They should never be given it. Germany was a good candidate, because, they obviously have rehabilitated themselves from the evil they done in the past. Firstly they had the Olympics in 2000, so they have hosted a event in recent times. Secondly, they are much more countries where football has a history, that deserve it more. Brazil, Argentina, Mexico. Though Mexico last hosted it in 1986, it's over 20 years now. What about countries that have never hosted a big event. Many countries have the ability to get it right, if they are given the chance.

Lastly and more importantly, a country that treats black minorities, stuffing them with alcohol, so they can corrupt them and steal their land, should be blacklisted. They have nothing to be proud of.

ProudQatari.

[Edited 2006-06-27 11:13:17]
ProudQatari. Small Country with 5* Airline

VHVXB

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting Melpax (Reply 16):
A World Cup final at the MCG would be fantastic!

I disagree   

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 17):
I don't think they should host it. Firstly they had the Olympics in 2000, so they have hosted a event in recent times.

So what if we have it just shows that we are good at hosting big events.

Secondly, they are much more countries where football has a history, that deserve it more. Brazil, Argentina, Mexico. Though Mexico last hosted it in 1986, it's over 20 years now.

Korea and Japan hosted it in 2002 countries which have i don't think have had a real history in soccer up until the 2002 world cup.

Lastly and more importantly, a country that treats black minorities, stuffing them with alcohol, so they can corrupt them and steal their land, should be blacklisted. They have nothing to be proud of.

Here you go again. How dare you speak about Australia like a country which you have never visited and with your attitude will never be welcomed. Have you heard of Mabo and Wick??

PROUD AUSTRALIAN

[Edited 2006-06-27 11:21:50]

Andreas

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:21 pm

Actually now, after 2 thirds of the tournament over, the best solution would be to have Germany host the next 10 WCs or so...I guess nobody in his right mind would object, except the Engerlaender Holigans but since they are NEVER in their right mind, it would't matter anyway!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

VHVXB

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:24 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 19):
Actually now, after 2 thirds of the tournament over, the best solution would be to have Germany host the next 10 WCs or so...I guess nobody in his right mind would object, except the Engerlaender Holigans but since they are NEVER in their right mind, it would't matter anyway!

If this was the case the majority of the english supporters would move to Germany wouldn't they LOL.

Zen100

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:24 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 18):
you attitude will never be welcomed

I said it before on here and I will say it again, there is nothing in 'Australia' for me to ever get excited about. It's not a place iI'm interested in. Compare it to place like Brazil, South Africa or even India, it's wet fish really.

ProudQatari

QANTAS077

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:26 pm

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 21):

I said it before on here and I will say it again, there is nothing in 'Australia' for me to ever get excited about. It's not a place iI'm interested in. Compare it to place like Brazil, South Africa or even India, it's wet fish really

good...we don't need you or your money..stay at home and watch on tv. considering nearly half the worlds population live in this region i'd say it's only fitting that Asia/Pacific hosts the world cup.

Andreas

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 20):
If this was the case the majority of the english supporters would move to Germany wouldn't they LOL.

I strongly suspect the majority of the British policeforce, and nearly all of the nice people in Engerlaend (there ARE a few thousand, indeed!) would welcome this move....and there's no other country as well equipped AND historically experienced in dealing with such a bunch...and most of the East German Wall builders and guards are still alive AND available!!  Wink Big grin

VHVXB

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:30 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 23):
I strongly suspect the majority of the British policeforce, and nearly all of the nice people in Engerlaend (there ARE a few thousand, indeed!) would welcome this move....and there's no other country as well equipped AND historically experienced in dealing with such a bunch...and most of the East German Wall builders and guards are still alive AND available!!

rotfl   rotfl 

Zen100

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:32 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 22):
it's only fitting that Asia/Pacific hosts the world cup

Amazing leap on these forums. Most of the time, you don't know where you stand with these people. It's nice to have clarity. The issue still remains, should 'Australia' host it?. The answer is no. Will it ever?, the answer is no. Does Fifa care about 'Australia'? the answer is no.

ProudQatari

Banco

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:41 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 23):
I strongly suspect the majority of the British policeforce, and nearly all of the nice people in Engerlaend (there ARE a few thousand, indeed!) would welcome this move....and there's no other country as well equipped AND historically experienced in dealing with such a bunch...and most of the East German Wall builders and guards are still alive AND available!!

That's an extraordinarily kind offer, Andreas. You wouldn't consider going the extra mile and taking all the Scots as well, would you?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

bill142

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:43 pm

They should never be given it.

We should and we will.

Firstly they had the Olympics in 2000, so they have hosted a event in recent times. Secondly, they are much more countries where football has a history, that deserve it more. Brazil, Argentina, Mexico. Though Mexico last hosted it in 1986, it's over 20 years now.

USA hosted it and Soccer isn't huge there. By the time we get our chance, it will be 2018 or 2022 at the earliest. Will be 20 years since Sydney. So you've cancelled that out really.

What about countries that have never hosted a big event. Many countries have the ability to get it right, if they are given the chance.

2010 will be South Africa's time to shine. Care to list any other countries which should host it?

I think you need to get your facts straight.

Also something for your small mind to consider, Soccer or fooball calls itself the world game, isn't it fair that it should visit EVERY part of the world at some point?

Andreas

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Well actually, I've just been to the toilet and during that session had some time to think it through, and it occurred to me as well, that we could somehow include the Scots, after all, they are BRITISH hooligans as well, and we urgently need some business ideas about what to do with Germany's East.

Now the states of Brandenburg, MeckPomm, Thueringen, Saxonia-Fullstop and Saxonia are well equipped to accomodate British hooligans: Lots of local skinheads and other nice people looking for a bunch of other morons to beat each other to pulp, and for a very handy head fee of, say....[still to be negotiated]....we'd be happy to buy out the whole bunch!

soyuzavia

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:55 pm

HAHA. Zen100, let me tell you straight up. I am part Aboriginal, so I am probably more qualified to talk on this issue. It is true that the Aboriginal people are an impoverished under class in this country and the wadjela do have a lot to answer for their past treatment of the black fellas, but given the choice, the Aboriginal people would rather be Australian than Qatari (even given Qatar's highest GDP in the world HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA). At least they actually have rights in this country, not something that is had in Qatar (let's ask all the indentured Indian slaves in your country eh?!?)

Zen100

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 29):
I am part Aboriginal

If that is not indenturation, i don't know what is.

Aboriginal people would rather be Australian than Qatari

Aboriginal people are an impoverished under class in this country

So which is it then.

Indian slaves in your country eh?!?)

The Indians or other Asians, in Qatar don't in my opinion fill the definition of a slave.

In the Oxford dictionary a slave is a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them. 2 a person who is excessively dependent upon or controlled by something: a slave to fashion.
Find it hard to believe, when they can leave Qatar at anytime, but then go to their homecountry and earn less money.

skyman

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 28):
Saxonia-Fullstop

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Super but I also don`t know what it is in English.
Thueringen = Thuringia

skyman

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:19 pm

How about Mecklenburgvorpommern
Mecklencastleinfrontofpommeria lol

Andreas

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:33 pm

Quoting Skyman (Reply 31):
Super but I also don`t know what it is in English.
Thueringen = Thuringia

I know, but I thought it is about time for the English hooligans (at least those on THIS Forum) to start learning about their new homes Big grin

BartiniMan

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:59 pm

[

Thats right, give the World Cup to one of the "modern" Middle East countries, where women will be prohibited from attending matches and suicide attacks will be a normal daily occurence. Now theres something to be proud of Qatari boy.

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 25):
The answer is no. Will it ever?, the answer is no. Does Fifa care about 'Australia'? the answer is no.

It just hurts you so much that no one in FIFA is even mentioning a word about the Middle East ever getting to host the WC. Australia has high chances of hosting it in the not-so-distant-future and that is what hurts you so much. BOO HOO have a teary.

scbriml

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:08 pm

It has been far too long since Central/South American has held the WC and it is there turn.

First up they need to bid and have a realistic chance of being able to deliver. The WC in Argentina in '78 (OMG was it really that long ago?) was fantastic.

Mexico did a good job in '86 (I think stepping in for Brazil at a late date). Obviously, pre Sep "The Splatter" Blatter, it was always Joao Havelange's vision to have Brazil host the WC. Maybe they're ready now.

The biggest advantage of playing the WC in a Southern-Hemisphere country would be that the games might be played at a sensible temperature. Australia would do a fantastic job of hosting the WC, as they have with every major sporting event they already have. Australia = sport done right.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

VH-KCT*

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:11 pm

Haha, still the same old Zen: the one that we know and err... Talking rubbish, starting fights, and finishing his sentences with prepositions.

But please, do carry on, old boy, whatever makes you happy.
I am The Stig

ryangooner

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Australia undoubtably would put on a great show and it would be a pleasure to visit aussie land to watch the games at a decent time.

Im not sure on the logistics regarding travel, how many different venues with regards to a team that went the final would they have to travel to?

for instance - home camp in Perth, second rounds in Darwin, Qtr final in Brisbane, semi final in Sydney or Melbourne (lol), final in Melbourne or Sydney (lol).

This would be a huge cost to supporters and a huge amount of ground to travel - this would be my only gripe however with that said i'd love to do it!!!

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

bill142

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:03 pm

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 37):
second rounds in Darwin

BAHAHAHAHAHA... The games would be limited to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. Maybe Canberra as we hosted some games of olympic soccer and RWC03. These cities have world class facilities. Maybe Townsville if you want to shock the English.

9V-SPF

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:07 pm

I think it would be a great choice and maybe it would finally convince me to spend the money for a flight down to down under  Smile

Another point, I´m pretty sure the matches wouldn´t have to be played on synthetic turf in Australia  Wink

scbriml

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:14 pm

Quoting BartiniMan (Reply 34):
It just hurts you so much that no one in FIFA is even mentioning a word about the Middle East ever getting to host the WC.

Maybe because playing football in 45-50C would be a tad daft even by FIFA standards? scratchchin 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

oli80

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:03 pm

No

Quoting Banco (Reply 15):
The big TV audiences are in Europe and South America. These two markets are the ones that matter in terms of TV revenue, advertising and so on and so forth. Holding a World Cup in Australia would be death for television in these markets.

And this is the reason.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 27):
USA hosted it and Soccer isn't huge there

And that's why they gave it to them, to boost the sport's popularity over there. Did it work? No Lesson learned? Yes!

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 36):
Talking rubbish, starting fights, and finishing his sentences with prepositions.

I don't think that Zen really posts in a rational way. He makes some good points, and then to top it off, he adds some outrages comments.

The best thing for everyone to do, instead of aggravating him, ignore it. If no-one replies to his comments, he'll get bored and give up. But instead in every thread he posts, people think they should insult Qatar, and the people of Qatar, rather than just saying they have a problem with him. It's quite pathetic to be honest!

swissgabe

Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:26 am

I think Oz could be a very good host for soccer World Cup, anyone else agree?

No doubt they would.

But I'm very happy that the first World Cup on the African continent will take place in 2010. It is time that this event finally made it to Africa! Unlike Australia and other countries in Oceania, Football is in most African countries the sport No. 1. Same goes to South America and Europe. It should also somehow be reconsidered, where the majority of the spectators are coming from and sitting in front of the TV.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

IFEMaster

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:19 am

I think Luxemburg should host 2014.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

swissgabe

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 43):
I think Luxemburg should host 2014.

How about the Faeroer Islands or Liechtenstein? Would be fun if such a team would qualify for the World Cup!
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

IFEMaster

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 44):

How about the Faeroer Islands or Liechtenstein? Would be fun if such a team would qualify for the World Cup!

Well in that case, how about Vatican City? I'm sure they could squeeze a stadium in and field 11 of their very own holinesses to take on the football gods.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

bill142

Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:01 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 41):

No

Quoting Banco (Reply 15):
The big TV audiences are in Europe and South America. These two markets are the ones that matter in terms of TV revenue, advertising and so on and so forth. Holding a World Cup in Australia would be death for television in these markets.

And this is the reason.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 27):
USA hosted it and Soccer isn't huge there

And that's why they gave it to them, to boost the sport's popularity over there. Did it work? No Lesson learned? Yes!

Then you can't call yourself the world game if your not prepared to take it to every part of the world.

srbmod

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:02 am

Brazil would the best choice as they are a large country, with plenty of venues, sufficient tourist infrastructure and a better economy long term than Argentina.

And the hottest women in South America!!!!!

Quoting Zen100 (Reply 21):
I said it before on here and I will say it again, there is nothing in 'Australia' for me to ever get excited about. It's not a place iI'm interested in

PKB, glad he's gone.........

Why not a joint Australia/New Zealand bid for the 2018 World Cup? 2002 showed that it could be done. If the rumors of FIFA moving the 2010 W.C. from South Africa come true, the 2014 W.C. will be up for grabs, as it is thought that if the 2010 W.C. were to be moved, Brazil would probably end up with it. I've heard the U.S. is interested in hosting the 2014 W.C. (possibly a joint bid with Canada), although honestly, most of the big stadiums in the US are not really setup for soccer (For the 1996 Olympics, they had to take out the famed hedges at Sanford Stadium at the University of Georgia so they would have a large enough pitch).

Alessandro
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:02 pm

Well, soccer is big in Asia as shown in 2002, so I think it could be good for biz
as well to host it in Oz/Nz in 2018.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Andreas

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:36 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 47):
2002 showed that it could be done

No, the only thing that 2002 clearly showed: Don't do it in 2 countries at the same time, and - remembering 1994 - do not let very large countries host the tournament, it gets totally useless, people won't be able to get around, it's pure business calculation!

Look at Germany 2006: Small country, venues no more than 600 or 700 km apart (400 miles max.). All those football fans keep falling over each other all the time, and THAT (plus perfect infrastructure) makes it a biiiig party and a great tournament....same for Italy 1990, France 1998...