tbar220

Freedom Tower Design Revealed

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:55 am

I do say that I like it.

Architects in New York unveil new Freedom Tower

By Mark Egan and Joan Gralla 38 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The redesigned Freedom Tower at Ground Zero in Lower Manhattan, planned to become America's tallest building, will be a monolithic glass structure reflecting the sky and topped by a sculpted antenna, the architects said on Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Symbolic of the Declaration of Independence, the reworked 1,776-foot (541-meter) centerpiece of the World Trade Center site unveiled by architect David Childs will have a 186-foot tall (57 meter) base sheathed with rolled, heat-treated glass over concrete...

Your thoughts?
NO URLS in signature

IFEMaster

RE: Freedom Tower Design Revealed

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:58 am

I wonder what strengthening measures they will put in place to help it withstand an aircraft strike.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

redngold

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:58 am

Just what makes it symbolic of the Declaration of Independence? The fact that it's shaped like a fancy pen?

Whatever...
Up, up and away!

tbar220

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
I wonder what strengthening measures they will put in place to help it withstand an aircraft strike.

I don't think any building will be able to withstand an aircraft strike like we saw on 9/11. However, the article describes numerous measures taken to protect it form a truck bomb or other similar attacks.
NO URLS in signature

andrewuber

I like it, but I too fear that it will be a terrorist magnet. Unfortunately, that's just what the bastards want is fear.

As for making it withstand an aircraft strike, I don't think any structure 1,776 feet tall could withstand it. It would be another 9/11.

All negativity aside, I can't wait to see new life at ground zero.

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

BMIFlyer

Looks pretty good, but how mnay times has the design been changed already?

A few IIRC.....

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 4):
All negativity aside, I can't wait to see new life at ground zero.

Same here  Smile

Lee

[Edited 2006-06-29 00:01:31]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 2):

Just what makes it symbolic of the Declaration of Independence? The fact that it's shaped like a fancy pen?

Quoting Tbar220 (Thread starter):
1,776-foot

Smile
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

TWFirst

I think it's a great design... I work across the street from the site and watch the construction/process daily (I'll post some pics here eventually). I think it'll be a really beautiful tower, and I'm glad they finally got their act together. #7 WTC, which opened last month, is also great.

My only wish: They build a second identical "Freedom Tower" next door....
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

andrewuber

Quoting Redngold (Reply 2):

They're referring to the height of the building. 1,776.

aloges

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:02 am

I like it as well. The grandiose thing about the Twin Towers was their almost boring regularity, I've always hoped someone would try and continue that in some kind of way - seems like they did!  thumbsup 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

redngold

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:05 am

Ohhhh big deal, 1,776 ft. Most people aren't going to look at the tower and say, "it's 1776 ft. so it reminds me of the Declaration of Independence." That is fluff reporting.

Who wants to bet the fire standards will be a lot higher?

Sorry to be such a skeptical sourpuss today, but flag-waving in the form of hyped-up architecture is still flag-waving.
Up, up and away!

Mir

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:07 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Looks great. But they've got to build two of them.

Though I can't say I'm fond of that contraption on top before the spire starts. That wasn't there in the last version.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

TedTAce

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:08 am

I'm sorry, but I'm one of those bastards that thinks they should have rebuilt the towers as close to the same as they were. This "freedom tower" crap makes me want to  vomit 
This space intentionally left blank

ZRH

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:11 am

I miss the the twin towers very much in the NYC skyline, but I think this tower looks really good.

rjpieces

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:24 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 12):
I'm sorry, but I'm one of those bastards that thinks they should have rebuilt the towers as close to the same as they were. This "freedom tower" crap makes me want to

Ditto.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

legoguy

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:32 am

What will freedom tower be used for once built...I mean what offices will be inside?
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

VSlover

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 15):
What will freedom tower be used for once built...I mean what offices will be inside?

they currently have zero tenants signed up.

for 7WTC they only recently leased some 15% to a tenant and that will bring the occupancy rate of that building up so the mid 20s.

not a big rush to fill the buildings down there.

ctbarnes

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:34 am

I think the operative word here is monolithic. At least Childs did away with the previous design's "concrete bunker" look in favor of something that appears more inviting and less paranoid and defensive.

Nonetheless, IMHO, it's still a very bland structure dressed up in a lot of overhyped patriotism. OTOH, it could work as a metaphor for the war on terror.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

KFLLCFII

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:40 am

1,776 feet WITH the 186 ft. antenna, or without?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

777236ER

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:43 am

Looks good there.

To be fair, the original twin towers were ugly as sin. If no one's going to actually have offices in the place, why not just make a memorial?
Your bone's got a little machine

comorin

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:51 am

I'm looking forward to Windows on the World 2.0 - so many memories, especially during the WOTW Wine Tasting course.

I'm really happy the new design is evocative of the original WTC, and I agree that it would be great if there were two of them.

bill142

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 3):
I don't think any building will be able to withstand an aircraft strike like we saw on 9/11. However, the article describes numerous measures taken to protect it form a truck bomb or other similar attacks.

You're right. But Steel Reinforced concrete will take much longer to fail then plain steel will. Combine this with wider fire escapes and the chances of evacuating a building are much higher. So while design plays an important role, the role of materials and techniques used to construct the building are equally important

andrewuber

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:04 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 18):
1,776 feet WITH the 186 ft. antenna, or without?

Most likely the 1776 foot height includes the antenna. They usually count it as part of the structure.

ltbewr

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:18 am

One of the most important reasons for the '1,776' feet isn't so much the connections as to the founding of the USA, but rather the need for a TV and radio tower as high or higher than were on the former WTC due for proper reception for all areas of the NYC TV/Radio market.
I am concerned at with the need for ground level security set backs, which is why the plans had to be modified, that it won't look as nice at the ground level as at higher levels. The large glass area is nicer than the WTC and will still be a strong symbol for NY City.

BO__einG

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:40 pm

I think it is a great design fit for a city like New York. If I was a resident I would visit the construction site each week to keep tabs on their progress.
From the renderings this building looks to be perhaps the most secure and protective office tower in the world once complete.

SOM is the worlds most famous firm and continues to bring exceptionally high quality projects.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

NoUFO

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Am I the only one who dislikes the "pin"?
I support the right to arm bears

legoguy

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:20 pm

Sorry for the stupid question, but which is taller? The old WTC buildings or the new Freedom Tower? What is the height difference?
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

Braybuddy

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:53 pm

Looks very smart and distinctive. If New York wants to reclaim its very distinctive skyline it will need something like this to do so. When you see the skyline at the moment it could be anywhere in America (to foreign eyes anyway).

Something like this would restore the city's unique skyline. I like it.

[Edited 2006-06-29 11:10:39]

ANCFlyer

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:01 pm

I like it . . .

I'd prefer TWO of them . . . for nostalgia's sake, but I like it.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CPDC10-30

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:17 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 3):
I don't think any building will be able to withstand an aircraft strike like we saw on 9/11

That is a bit of a misconception. The Petronas towers for example would have most likely have at least partially survived. They are almost pure concrete as opposed to the WTC which made large use of steel. Therefore such a design is less resistant to weakening from fire.

I've seen engineering reports stating that if the WTC towers were covered with brickwork (such as the Empire State Building), they would have likely survived having most of the impact ejected outside of the building. Seeing this new proposed tower is covered in glass isn't encouraging. It would be nice to think that another terrorist strike is impossible, but I fear this new building will be a target from day one.

[Edited 2006-06-29 11:18:34]

NoUFO

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:33 pm

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 29):
Seeing this new proposed tower is covered in glass isn't encouraging.

Why not as long as it's structure is made of concrete?
This really is one ugly antenna ...

cedarjet

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Oh dear. In what way do you mean, "withdstand"? I think the WTC did as well as you could expect from any building. I mean, if you flew a 767 into the UN building, I think what would come out the other side would resemble a 767. What would be left of the building, only seconds later, would resemble a big pile of dust.

Quoting Redngold (Reply 10):
Sorry to be such a skeptical sourpuss today, but flag-waving in the form of hyped-up architecture is still flag-waving.

God I couldn't agree more. "Freedom Tower"? You know, I hate it when people take offence at every little thing. But this really makes my stomach churn. The implication is that the US is somehow more free than other countries, and / or invented personal freedom. The opposite is the case on both counts. Americans might like it but for the rest of us it's patronising and offensive. Perhaps if the US really was as free as Norway, France, New Zealand, Canada, et al, they wouldn't need to ram it down everyone's throats? (See also: Newark "Liberty" International.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

ANCFlyer

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:30 pm

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 31):
The opposite is the case on both counts. Americans might like it but for the rest of us it's patronising and offensive.

Boo Frackin' Hoo.  cry  cry  cry 

"Freedom Tower"? You know, I hate it when people take offence at every little thing.

Pot Kettle Black perhaps?

The good thing is, Cedarjet, you don't ever have to visit the place or look at it or anything . . . isn't that special. So, don't let it bother you . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Leezyjet

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:12 pm

Seems to me that this is all going ahead as a "look at the size of my d!ck" project.

They have not even got anyone remotely interested in occupying that building, and after seeing what happened to the last 2, I'm pretty sure that they will struggle to fill this one - especially the upper floors. What company in their right mind would want to risk its staff if another attack was to occur, and giving the building a name like "Freedom Tower", whilst on the one hand appears and a big F.U. to the terrorists is almost like taking a red rag to a bull.

They should quit with all this freedom bullsh!t and keep it simple like WTC2. Why does the USofA feel the need for all this freedom cr@p anyway - just take a look at the CIA and the bugging of peoples telephone calls - that wouldn't happen in a truly "free" country would it.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

jaysit

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:56 pm

Less iconic than the twin towers, but I suspect we will all grow to like it.

In any case, lower Manhattan needs something to replace the WTC towers - and fast. The cityscape looks barren without a replacement. Lets just get on with it.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

TWFirst

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 26):
Sorry for the stupid question, but which is taller? The old WTC buildings or the new Freedom Tower? What is the height difference?

The new tower is taller due to the antenna.

God I couldn't agree more. "Freedom Tower"? You know, I hate it when people take offence at every little thing. But this really makes my stomach churn. The implication is that the US is somehow more free than other countries, and / or invented personal freedom. The opposite is the case on both counts. Americans might like it but for the rest of us it's patronising and offensive. Perhaps if the US really was as free as Norway, France, New Zealand, Canada, et al, they wouldn't need to ram it down everyone's throats?

Hilarious, considering where you're from. Not saying you don't have a point, but guess what the genesis was for this country's concept of "liberty" and "freedom"... and why the U.S. (over)uses those terms to this day....

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 25):
Am I the only one who dislikes the "pin"?

No, probably not... but I'm surprised you don't. German's generally have a taste for modern architecture... personally, I think it's cool, and is perfect for the skyline here... think ESB, 40 Wall, Woolworth, Chrysler buildings, etc.

NoUFO

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 35):
No, probably not... but I'm surprised you don't.

With "pin" I meant the antenna, not the building itself, although the building is a bit too tall and thus, in my opinion, does not really blend well with the buildings around it. It should be the highest building but not of that towering (for the lack of better words) height.

The antenna looks like a missile immediately after launch:

TWFirst

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 36):
With "pin" I meant the antenna, not the building itself, although the building is a bit too tall and thus, in my opinion, does not really blend well with the buildings around it.

But that's the whole purpose... it's NOT supposed to blend in. The former Towers didn't blend in either. It's supposed to be a focal point...a landmark. And I know you meant you didn't like the antenna, but I find it very modern... somewhat evocative of mid-20th century designs IMO.

yooyoo

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:01 pm

I thought the building did withstand the aircraft strike. Anyways....

I rather like the new building design.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

ANITIX87

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 12):
I'm sorry, but I'm one of those bastards that thinks they should have rebuilt the towers as close to the same as they were. This "freedom tower" crap makes me want to

I agree, rebuilding the towers as before would have been the ultimate "f**k you" to those who doubt our country. They should not, however, have built them right where the old ones were. I think the best design would have been to put two new towers, IDENTICAL to the old ones (albeit more technologically advanced and everything) but displaced them slightly and had t he corner of the new towers overlap a corner of the old towers' footprints. Would have been cool, I think.

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
Looks great. But they've got to build two of them.

They are not building two of them because of the design. The square cross-sections at top and bottom are offset (resulting in an octagon in the middle) and this is supposed to be symbolic of the two old towers sitting on top of one another, unifiying the city, the coutry, and the people, or whatever. Euphemistic and metaphorical bull$h!t, basically.

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 26):

The Freedom Tower will be the tallest building in the world, IIRC.

I, personally, am glad to see that the footprints of the two old towers will remain as a reminder. I can't wait to see what the site looks like when it's done.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

TWFirst

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:58 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 39):
The Freedom Tower will be the tallest building in the world, IIRC.

No, just in North America.... Towers in Dubai and Asia (Taipai 101 or the new Shanghai one) will still be taller.

Mir

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:22 am

They are not building two of them because of the design. The square cross-sections at top and bottom are offset (resulting in an octagon in the middle) and this is supposed to be symbolic of the two old towers sitting on top of one another, unifiying the city, the coutry, and the people, or whatever. Euphemistic and metaphorical bull$h!t, basically.

I know they're not going to build two of them, but they should. Any city can have a tall building. New York had the Twin Towers. They can put all the symbolic, metaphoric and patriotic crap that they want into it, but in the end it's the Twin Towers being replace by one tower. That doesn't fly in my book.

I agree, rebuilding the towers as before would have been the ultimate "f**k you" to those who doubt our country. They should not, however, have built them right where the old ones were. I think the best design would have been to put two new towers, IDENTICAL to the old ones (albeit more technologically advanced and everything) but displaced them slightly and had t he corner of the new towers overlap a corner of the old towers' footprints. Would have been cool, I think.

checkmark  Well said. They have the space to do that without intruding on the old footprints, too.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

NoUFO

Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:35 pm

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 37):
But that's the whole purpose... it's NOT supposed to blend in.

Well, you may be right, and after all, and in contrast to New Yorkers, I don't need to like the design.

TWFirst

Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 42):
Well, you may be right, and after all, and in contrast to New Yorkers, I don't need to like the design.

Genau!

Nancy

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:53 am

It's an ok looking building to me, but it also kind of looks like the world's biggest corn-on-the-cob holder too. The tacky gift shops will probably sell little freedom tower corn holders to go with your Statue of Liberty salt and pepper shakers. As for tenants, I'm sure once tconstruction is undeway it they will sign up. No vacant real-estate lasts long in Manhattan.