keesje

Why Do We Allow Ugandas Joseph Kony To Continue?

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:21 am

Don´t google Joseph Kony, LRA and children if you don´t have a strong stomach.

I wonder why we (the western world) allow such a person to continue for more then 10 years to deeply terrorize Uganda the way he does and on the other hand spend zillions on fighting terrorism in other parts of the world.

Kony is now top of the International Criminal Courts warrant list. Kony alone is wanted for 33 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Can´t the international community, EC, US, France, Belgium, South Africa or whoever send in special forces to catch / kill him & stop his ungoing shocking crimes?

http://www.missio.at/aktionen/kindersoldaten/illu-kiso-kony.jpg

Should we be ashamed about ourselves?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

mrmeangenes

RE: Why Do We Allow Ugandas Joseph Kony To Continue?

Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:09 am

Looks like a UN job to me. Can you think of any reason why US forces should go after him, rather than Dutch troops, or Belgians, or....?
gene

Mir

Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 1):
Looks like a UN job to me

Indeed it is. A job that the US should take part in, along with others.

But the biggest problem with dealing with crises in Africa is that everyone is waiting for everyone else to do something. Somebody's got to take the initiative, and I have no problem with that someone being the US.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

keesje

Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 1):
Can you think of any reason why US forces should go after him, rather than Dutch troops, or Belgians, or....?

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
Somebody's got to take the initiative, and I have no problem with that someone being the US.

Seems the case indeed. I never suggested US troops specific. In practise it is one of the few nations that is still willing accept some bodybags to solve a problem far away. Demise of ideology as a political power perhaps..

I think Uganda is a case were it is very clear who is a bad guy. Probably he is not the only one, perhaps it is not the complete problem, but just removing him as a focal point of terror & fear seems to be everyones wish.

A "project" like Joseph Kony seems within the capabilities of many nations. Perhaps a UN supported Belgium, French, South African joint intervention force supported / financed by others seems most practical. They know there way around Africa / Uganda.

I think public support wouldn't be an issue after the world looks into what's exactly happening in Uganda (& gets sick)
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

aerorobnz

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:15 pm

The reason is that Uganda doesn't have anything in large quantities that the larger nations want control of. It all comes down to money.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.