SFOMEX
Topic Author

The Official Mexican Presidential Election Thread.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:54 am

This Sunday July 2, Mexicans will vote to elect their new president for the next six years. The winner will succeed President Fox who can't run for reelection.

Needless to say, this election is important for Mexico and its inhabitants but it has also an undeniable impact in the rest of the continent. Two main issues among many others:

-The winner will have to deal with the illegal immigration crisis in the USA. A friendly prez to the USA in Los Pinos (Mexican WH) would help to find a partner to stop the traffic of human beings and drugs along our common border.

- If the left wins, the Chavez-Castro-Morales axis of populism will get a new and powerful ally, just at the south of the USA.

Three candidates are running, but only two have a real shot of winning this Sunday:

Felipe Calderon Hinojosa of the conservative PAN. This young, Harvard educated lawyer supports the current economic model: free markets and a business-friendly government. Nonetheless, he wants to go further with the social programs that are helping the poor and the uneducated. He's a social conservative (Catholic), but he has expressed support for sex education at school, reproductive rights (excluding abortion) and the end of any kind of discrimination toward gays and other minorities.

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador of the leftist PRD. This former mayor of Mexico City is hugely popular in this city and most of the poorest parts of the country (south). He wants to put the poor first, thus changing the economic model. He supports social programs that give monthly stipends to the elders, single mothers and so on. He is famous for the upper levels built in the most important freeways across the city (los segundos pisos). He has a liberal position in social issues, but he has not been clear enough about his position in topics such as abortion and legal gay unions (sociedades de convivencia).

I support Felipe Calderon.

[Edited 2006-07-01 05:22:38]
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

captaink

RE: The Official Mexican Presidential Election Thread.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Thread starter):
The winner will succeed President Fox who can't run for reelection.

Why can't he run again? I never understood that. I thought that in Democratic Govn't, or should i say their leaders can run twice or be in power for two terms....?

I am hoping for Calderon myself by the way.
There is something special about planes....

JOSEMEX

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:12 pm

Those of us old enough to remember the Echeverria and Lopez Portillo years have a very clear idea of who we're going to vote for. It's a shame many of the younger voters have no idea what it was like during those years, and the long way we have come since then.

AM744

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:17 pm

- If the left wins, the Chavez-Castro-Morales ax of populism will get a new and powerful ally, just at the south of the USA.

Morales is NOT in the same league as Chavez and Castro and López Obrador certainly isn't either. Morales nor López are nor were militars. Morales is not a dictator and López Obrador won't be one, should he win. I wonder why people keep comparing them ??? Is Lula also part of that perceived axis? lol

More political power to the same people that hold economic power (look at the US) doesn't sound good. There must be some kind of balance.

He wants to put the poor first, thus changing the economic model.

Our "economic model" is a corrupt capitalism. Private gains, public losses (highways, banks, airlines, etc etc etc...). That needs to change.

May the best win.

AM744

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 1):
Why can't he run again? I never understood that. I thought that in Democratic Govn't, or should i say their leaders can run twice or be in power for two terms....?

It's a historical thing. Repeated reelection (Porfirio Diaz) caused an unprecedented bloodshed, the Mexican Revolution, in which 10% of the whole population lost their lives.

WiLdmanVzla

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:31 pm

Let's see what happens... sunday will be a great day for this country for sure (a big smile for everyone).

AM744

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting JoseMEX (Reply 2):
Those of us old enough to remember the Echeverria and Lopez Portillo years have a very clear idea of who we're going to vote for.

De la Madrid(biggest inflation EVER, different economic model that López Portillo) and specially Salinas were no better. (Except if you are their buddy and can sell you a huge state enterprise or bank for peanuts in a completely corrupt fashion). Under those two governmets the peso lost 1000 times!!! it's value as all of you know. Admitedly Lopez Portillo started all, but good ol' Salinas left Zedillo with a huge package that took the then "new" peso from $3 per dollar to $8 or $9. Aviation enthusiast that we are, know that that crisis put a halt to our airlines from which only today, 10 years later, they seem to be recovering of, along with the rest of the country. Also, the huge narco problems we are deling with today, were not tackled, to say the least, since Salinas.

All this are just historical observations unrelated to the thread. I don't believe any of the runners (save for one) is as low as some of the presidents previously mentioned.

It's not the system. It's HONESTY and ETHICS that matters. Any corrupt system will fail, even capitalism.

Fly2HMO

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:37 pm

If the left wins, the Chavez-Castro-Morales axis of populism will get a new and powerful ally, just at the south of the USA.

You just never know what Mr. Peje will pull out of his butt  

It's a shame many of the younger voters have no idea what it was like during those years, and the long way we have come since then.

I might be one of the few exceptions. My parents always told me about how nastily things were run in those years. I'm glad I didn't go through that.

My dad is going to be a Funcionario de Casilla, should be interesting.

Honestly, I think mexico would be better of with another 6 years of PRI crap, than with 6 years of Peje's shit.

By the way, I got my signature from a car bumper sticker I saw in Mexico 

cheers   

[Edited 2006-07-01 05:39:59]

Fly2HMO

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:41 pm

How about we do an a.nut election poll? But please lets keep it civilized. Don't say why you would vote for whomever or bash anybody for saying they're voting for whomever. Just say the name.

I'd vote for Calderon if I could.

fly727

Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:10 pm

I am absolutely convinced that we need stability and continuity of the excellent job done by President Fox. My vote will go for Felipe Calderon.

Though I am not currently in the district I am registered to vote, I will certainly be in the airport waaay before 7am to make sure one of the few cards designated for foreign voters go for him.

I am excited and eager to exercise my right once again!!! Democracia, pluralidad y transparencia rocks! Big grin

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

sr117

RE: The Official Mexican Presidential Election Thr

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:21 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 6):

It's not the system. It's HONESTY and ETHICS that matters. Any corrupt system will fail, even capitalism.

While corruption can of course be a corrosive influence in any system, the system itself matters a lot. Running a country is a complicated matter and as such is it not just a matter of good intentions and pure feelings(If it was so, running a developed country with little corruption would be a walk in the park). The cause of the crisis of 94 was not that Salinas was a corrupt sleazeball, but because of mistakes in policy.

The re-election matter is ridiculous at this point, it is the same case with the re-election members of congress and legislature, we should be able to re-elect somebody if we think they are doing a good job, it would make some congresspeople actually care about their job. Of course it is also a sad truth that in many rural places where the winds of change have not yet blown, this could breed de-facto mini dictatorships at the hands of certain people, but that would be solely the responsibility of the people living under such a dictatorship to change things, and modern institutions do give that chance I think.

There's a lot of changes that need to be made in order to make things run better in this country and whoever wins is gonna need to be a very good negotiator to make things happen, given the fragmented legislature and tight budget he will receive.

Personally, the thought of 6 years of Peje makes me want to vomit, while Calderon is not perfect, I think he has the right idea, and most important for me, he seems to be capable of bringing people together to bring about much needed reform, and is not as a divisive figure as Peje(his religious like following is quite scary, they see no fault in their god), or an unscrupulous backstabbing weasel like Madrazo.

My vote is for Calderon.

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:01 pm

Those of us old enough to remember the Echeverria and Lopez Portillo years have a very clear idea of who we're going to vote for.

checkmark  I am not old enough to remember "la docena trágica" but I know the disaster provoked by these two populists. In fact, a good number of relatives immigrated to the USA during their administrations.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 3):
Morales is NOT in the same league as Chavez and Castro and López Obrador certainly isn't either.

Lopez and Morales have the same ideas about the economy than Chavez. They want to "help" the poor even if their politics sink their countries. Just look at Venezuela my friend!

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 7):
Honestly, I think mexico would be better of with another 6 years of PRI crap, than with 6 years of Peje's shit.

Though call! In my view, PRI and PRD are two faces of the same crap: corruption, populism and son on...

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 8):
How about we do an a.nut election poll?

yes  So far the results are:

Calderon:6
SFOMEX
Captaink
Josemex
FLY2HMO
Fly727
SR117

Peje:1
AM744

Every A.netter can vote, so keep posting yours.

fly727

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting SR117 (Reply 10):
as Peje(his religious like following is quite scary, they see no fault in their god

I thought he was a Catholic. Someone please confirm.

Vamos a ganar!

RM  Smile

LatinPlane

Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 11):
Calderon:6
SFOMEX
Josemex
FLY2HMO
Fly727
SR117

AM744

Vamos a ganar!

This would be the ideal situation if the majority of the Mexican populace had had good access to education and were able to analyze things from an educated level. Most, if not all of you, were sent to good schools by your parents, and therefore have somewhat of a regular stability and the capacity to analyze what is the best path for the country to take. Yet the sad truth is that this is not the case with the majority of the population and the reason why Lopez Obrador can easily be the winner because he is directly speaking to all of those people who have been left out by the system. Since everyone else brags about doing it, but conveniently forgets to do anything when it comes down to getting their hands dirty!

I don't think he's as bad as he has been made out to be. In my point of view he has many good ideas, but, unfortunately he has a lot of bad ones too, yet he has the backing of his people, something that I have not noticed as much from the rest of the candidates. The guy has POWER!, but what I just don't see him capable of doing is being able to speak in good terms with congress, which is going to leave the country in a never ending standstill. If Fox, wasn't able to do it, there's no way in hell that Obrador will able to do either. He's just way too confrontational (in bad way) and the senators are just too politically oriented to their own benefit to find common ground to make the right decision that are needed to move the country forward.

Quoting SR117 (Reply 10):
While Calderon is not perfect, I think he has the right idea, and most important for me, he seems to be capable of bringing people together to bring about much needed reform, and is not as a divisive figure as Peje(his religious like following is quite scary, they see no fault in their god), or an unscrupulous backstabbing weasel like Madrazo

I couldn't have said it better! Come on people, sometimes we are our worst enemies! I just don't understand how a country as rich as Mexico can sometimes get into a destructive mindset that isn't letting the country move forward! You need to work together folks!

I also like you good comparison about Madrazo and an animal figure. In fact, there's a lot of animals in that party. Starting with this fat elephant:

I don't know what it is about her, but I can't stand her. She annoys the hell out of me when she gives her speeches. She talks so much, but in the end she doesn't say anything useful. She's typical material of the old Mexican political system which likes to say A LOT and do NOTHING! "Cantinflones" AND THEN...she puts on these typical Mexican outfits sometimes just to make a point that she's so proud of her "Mexican" heritage! It's so tacky! Who the hell does she think she is, the Mexican Queen Amidala?

Wishing that everything goes well, and that the best choice is made

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

fly727

Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:55 am

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 13):
Starting with this fat elephant:

You are not going to believe it but she could have been my mother. My dad dated her a loooooong time ago!

Thanks God he married a gorgeous hot AeroMexico Flight Attendant, hence my incredible looks!

RM  Smile

ltbewr

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:08 am

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador of the leftist PRD. This former mayor of Mexico City is hugely popular in this city and most of the poorest parts of the country (south). He wants to put the poor first, thus changing the economic model

This man was re-elected with 80% of the vote for Mayor of Mexico City. He continued to live in his modest apartment instead of living with the rich in gated neighborhood. He apparently made major efforts against corruption in his term as Mayor. Something has to be done to help the poorest in Mexico, so they can be employed with decent pay so that can reduce their needs to going to the USA. That may be the best way to deal with the immigration problem in the USA. If he wins, I hope he can deliver, although he may have a lot of problems getting past the business leaders that really rule the country.

TheRedBaron

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:36 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 15):
This man was re-elected with 80% of the vote for Mayor of Mexico City. He continued to live in his modest apartment instead of living with the rich in gated neighborhood. He apparently made major efforts against corruption in his term as Mayor. Something has to be done to help the poorest in Mexico, so they can be employed with decent pay so that can reduce their needs to going to the USA. That may be the best way to deal with the immigration problem in the USA. If he wins, I hope he can deliver, although he may have a lot of problems getting past the business leaders that really rule the country.

I will vote for Calderon for WAY TOO MANY REASONS but since ths previous post is so full of miss information I will address it and you will see why Ill vote for Calderon.

The man was not reelected (reelection is forbidden in Mexico)
Lopez Obrador won the 2000 election by mere 3.9% of the vote, and a lot of the PRD party campaign was financed with illegal funds.
He liven in his moddest appartment and then he changed to another appartment in a nearby building where he had 2 appartments in adjacent floors so... modest does not apply. His sons are in foreign Universities and he pecieves a salary of just over $10700 USD$ a month
He said we would reduce the expenses of big salaries but he did not reduce his salary not his closest workers and frinds, by way of example Nicolas Mollinedo his Driver "chaffeur" earns US 6600 USD$ a Month !!! and just last week bought a spanking new Mustang Cobra for USD 44000...not bad for a driver dont ya think?
Corruption in Mexico city is even worse than before, thousands of illegal (pirate) taxis roam the city without any control, his 2 closest aides rene Bejarano was coaugh on tape and aired nationally recieving a payment of over 100 K Dollars for bribes and campaign "money" , his treasury secretary was taped at the Bellagio in LAS playing in the VIP "whale" area also aired nationally.....
Millions of pesos have disappeared in his public contracts and also a lot of contracts have been awarded to friends, allies and ghost companies.

If this thief wins, Mexico will suffer YET another economic collapse and believe me if you think Migration is a problem now, you aint seen nothin´ yet

CALDERON WILL WIN
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Fly2HMO

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:50 pm

One thing that really bothers me is that a lot of people in the US support Peje. And some news agencies, specially AP, glorify Peje. Why the f**k is this I dunno. Somehow Peje's "darkside" doesn't seem to show itself overseas, or to uneducated people.

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 16):
If this thief wins, Mexico will suffer YET another economic collapse and believe me if you think Migration is a problem now, you aint seen nothin´ yet

You can say that again....

He's not going to win, I hope  Yeah sure  crossfingers   covereyes 

AM744

Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:08 pm

You know what I'd like to see? The only thing that really matters:

El tan cacareado "Estado de Derecho". (Respect for the law)

Problem with our economy is that breaking the law ranges from extremely profitable (if you're in the upper percentile of the social scale and have ties with the government or big groups) to cheap (if you're an ambulante, taxista pirata or taquero pastorero). Being an honest citizen that actually produces something is extremely expensive.

Here's one for you clasemedieros:
We provided 52% of the whole ISR income. Enterprises, whether big or small accounted for the rest. That's completely abnormal. Yet another example of the crushing of the middle class. The one that really matters, those that actually produce. Bottom line is, in Mexico, if you do your homework you only get more. You are actually penalized for doing your job!!! No problem if you're El Divino, Lankenau or Jefe Diego nor if you're narco, kindnapper or illegal taxi driver. Extremely unfair and disheatening for the hard working citizen.

Well, there's my wishlist.

P.D. Only 12% of the PEA (Economically active population) pays taxes. (Me being one of them, and I'm sure most of you too). I'd like high bureacrats, ambulantes, etc.. payed as well... That would be it.

P.D.2. During Fox, high bureacracy (>$50,000 MXP per month, a slap in the face to most Mexicans, even professionals ) grew 62%, as if the government did a great job and we needed more administrators, that in fact, produce nothing. Do we really need a "Director de Contenidos de Internet" (Webmaster that is) in Comision Nacional del Agua? NOT.

luisde8cd

Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:33 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 3):

Morales is NOT in the same league as Chavez and Castro and L�pez Obrador certainly isn't either. Morales nor L�pez are nor were militars. Morales is not a dictator and L�pez Obrador won't be one, should he win. I wonder why people keep comparing them ??? Is Lula also part of that perceived axis? lol

LOL at you for being so naive. When Chavez first ran for election in 1998, everyone here was tired of the same politicians that had ruled the country since 1959, so they saw Chavez as someone who could bring hope in a country plaged with corruption and poverty. Chavez won because he got strong support from the middle class who were tired of living under constant devaluation, inflation, corruption, crime and bureocracy. He never mentioned that he wanted to establish Socialism in the country. But 7 years later after he was consolidated in power, overtook control of every branch of goverment (Supreme Court, Electoral Council, Congress, Attourney's Office), he said he was going to follow Cuba's model and put Venezuela in the path toward the "21st century socialism". So my advice to you and others who are going to vote for AMLO is: "Mejor malo conocido que bueno por conocer".

Lopez and Morales have the same ideas about the economy than Chavez. They want to "help" the poor even if their politics sink their countries. Just look at Venezuela my friend!

Exactly, look at my country. Thanks to Chavez's policy my family has had to emigrate and guess where to? Mexico! Yes... my family is living in Mexico. Living in Venezuela nowdays is a complete nightmare, you never know if you will return home at night after a day of work, because kidnappings, robberies and murders are growing at a rate faster than Colombia!. We have more dead each week here in Venezuela than the dead in Iraq! How can that be possible? It's simple... poverty levels are astronomical, something we had never seen and the people running the goverment (police forces) are thugs and criminals freed from jail thanks to almight Chavez.

Vamos Calderon! Por un Mexico prospero, estable y en constante crecimiento!

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

LTU932

Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:44 pm

If I was Mexican and eligible to vote, I'd gladly choose Felipe Calderón over López Obrador. The last thing Mexico needs is a populist who can be seen as a potential supporter for Hugo Chávez. Mexico needs a leader who can keep stability and continue cooperation with other Latin American countries and the United States.

Let's hope this winning streak of common sense will continue. First, Alan García won over populist Ollanta Humala in Peru, and now Mexico needs to defeat their own populist candidate (and potential Chávez supporter).

Calderón Presidente!

AM744

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:49 pm

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 19):
LOL at you for being so naive. When Chavez first ran for election in 1998, everyone here was tired of the same politicians that had ruled the country since 1959, so they saw Chavez as someone who could bring hope in a country plaged with corruption and poverty.

Last militar president in Mexico ruled in the 50's. Sorry, but we are not Venezuela and it shows. López Obrador is not a militar, no comparison point whatsoever. And I'm not a leftie. I just don't buy the s**t that is repeated over and over again by the media. PG is NOT Chavez... don't believe the BS you see in TV. With all due respect, read some history from credible sources.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 20):
Mexico needs a leader who can keep stability and continue cooperation with other Latin American countries and the United States.

You mean like the president that discredited our previously prestiged Diplomatic Service screwing our foreing relations with everyone in Latin America, including Nestor Kirchner?

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 20):
If I was Mexican and eligible to vote, I'd gladly choose Felipe Calderón over López Obrador. The last thing Mexico needs is a populist who can be seen as a potential supporter for Hugo Chávez.

That is a far-fetched conspiration theory. If anything Hugo Chavez would support Lopez Obrador, not the other way around, should it be of any use to him. I personally don't like Chavez, and I also don't think López Obrador is like him, if you check their "resumes" there are fundamental differences. The man is a democrat, please don't compare him with the South American dictator. We have been through that, 100 years ago... We are well past that point.

I was born and raised in Mexico City. My family has lived here for generations (more than five that is) and I tell you, give me López Obrador over Oscar Espinoza Villareal anyday. You know who is him don't you? Thought so. Peje is no angel, nor Calderon, it's just that he's been demonized and intelligent and educated people are buying it, no questions asked. The media being the 4th power is a gross understatement in this case.

May the best win. Wheter Peje or Calderón win we will be fine... I'm convinced of that.

fly727

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:51 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 18):
Here's one for you clasemedieros:

With all due respect, as I'm sure you meant it this "clasemediero" will have a better quality of life if Peje wins...

...because I'd be moving to San Antonio. See you in six years.

RM  Smile

AM744

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:08 pm

He said we would reduce the expenses of big salaries but he did not reduce his salary not his closest workers and frinds, by way of example Nicolas Mollinedo his Driver "chaffeur" earns US 6600 USD$ a Month !!! and just last week bought a spanking new Mustang Cobra for USD 44000...not bad for a driver dont ya think?

Bad enough, but Calderon has inlaws doing big bucks via government contracts, he lend himself money while directing Banobras. Fox has a wife and step-sons who are now new millionaires. Nice FAMILY bussiness. A Mustang Cobra is peanuts compared to the properties handed over by Fobraproa to the Bibriescas, just to name an example. Yes, corruption is by no means exclusive of any political group. Let's apply the same measure to all, shall we? We need to get rid of that, ANY color it happens to be.

Don't take me wrong guys, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:28 pm

An interesting fact about Lopez Obrador (el Peje). It seems that Mr. Obrador does not have a valid passport! In fact, many sources inform that he has never traveled outside Mexico, although other sources affirm that he went to Cuba for his honeymoon. In any case, he never left the country during the last six years he was Mayor of Mexico City.

Of course, plenty of Mexicans are in a similar situation and it's nothing wrong with never going outside your nation, not even for leisure. Yet, I find odd that somebody running for president has never been interested in knowing other places, cultures and people.

The closest case I could think of is in America, where it's been said that the most conservative Republican congressmen pride themselves in the fact they don't have a passport.

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:35 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 23):
I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Rather you are playing PEJE's advocate here... LOL.

Cheers!

ghost77

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 24):
An interesting fact about Lopez Obrador (el Peje). It seems that Mr. Obrador does not have a valid passport!

Another interesting fact is that his true name is Manuel Andrés López Obrador - MALO. He changed it. Another interesting fact.. he has killed two people in his whole life one of them being his brother. Another interesting fact is that he once holded a passport and use it to travel to Cuba. Another interesting fact is that he finish his College studies in 14 years when it usually takes you 5 to achieve that and he poorly ended up with a low 7.2 average.

NO WAY!

Jelipe Presidente!

Quoting another mexican aviation forum:

Quote:

Estaba leyendo UN comentario sobre el peje y no quise dejar pasar la oportunidad de contestarle, yo soy apolitico y la neta no m importa el que gana o el que pierde pero en este caso si. M i novia es venezolana yo soy capitan en azteca, hace poco vino a mexico y me explico las ideas de chavez de su politica de distribucion de la riqueza, y d q todo lo que habia prometido en campaña eran mentiras; Ella me explico, q si tu tienes dos carros debes de vender uno si tienes dos casas debes de vender una si has tenido o tienes un depto el cual hallas rentado por algun tiempo a una familia ( x) se lo debes vender soloo pa que todo la riqueza sea igual, si tienes un negocio debes de tener una tarjeta en la q c te registran todas tus compras y debes presentarla para que te vendan cualquier articulo, de esa manera si gastas mas de los que reportas al estado te investigan y te quitan la consecion y si no que hasta el negocio en el peor de los casos, hasta el bote vas a dar.
Ahora piensen el pg ofrece bajar el gas la gasolina y la luz bueno esa misma promesa y muchas iguales las hizo chavez, al momento de estar en campaña es muy bonita propuesta pero .... QUE VA A TENER QUE SUBIR DE PRECIO, PARA CUBRIR TODOS ESOS IMPUESTOS, QUE EL ESTADO VA A PERDER ....ALIMENTOS ?? MEDICINAS??? AUMENTO DE IMPUESTOS A LOS PROFESIONISTAS ?? AHI PREGUNTENSE QUE VA A TENER QUE HACER EL ESTADO PARA CUBRIR ESA PERDIDA¡¡¡ ademas en este foro ahi venezolanos que no m dejaran mentir las propuestas de pg son identicas al dictador de venexuela es mas el prd se fusilo unas propuestas para aplicarlas aca, solo que unos cenadoresde la oposicion, c dieron cuenta del teatrito y los balconearon. INCLUSIVE, EN ESTE FORO SE HA HABLADO , QUE CHAVEZ HA APOYADO A GOBIERNOS DE IZQUIERDA AHI ESTA EVO MORALES.....
Por ultimo este gobierno de izquierda que va contra las ideas de nuestros vecinos del norte, de los cuales nuestra economia depende. Recuerden que todos los contratos de arrendaminto de aviones maquinaria y piezas se PAGAN EN DOLARES, en caso de una devaluacion ahi les encargo las consecuencias, recordemos 1995. Pilotos desempleados mecanicos, personal de tierra,etc,etc. Prefiero la continuidad del pan, en la cual en su transicion de poder, no existio devaluacion, es mejor continuar con algo que por lo menos a permitido un crecimiento , de aerolineas , aviones, trabajos,ets ,etc
Y no averiguar si este señor hubiese funcionado ... RECUERDEN QUE FUE EX DEL PRI EL REPRESENTA 70 AÑOS DE DICTADURA DEL PRI

And here a reply from a Mexican living in Venezuela:

Quote:

Al parecer tenemos los mismos gustos (las venezolanas), bueno te platico de primera mano como están las cosas aqui en Venezuela.

Lo de los dos carros, afortunadamente aún no sucede, pero por el otro lado, adquirir un carro en venezuela es muy caro, no es posible encontrar carros por menos de 6 millones de bolivares (30 mil pesos), y a ese precio estoy hablando de verdaderas carcachas, claro que pones un poco mas (9 millones) y puedes conseguir algo más decente, existen planes del gobierno para los "necesitados" de poder conseguir un vehiculo a bjo precio denominado "Venezuela móvil", pero no son más que autofinanciamientos como los hay en México, sin embargo estos carros no los encuentras en las agencias (no te los quieren vender o te los venden con equipo y el precio deja de ser el precio prometido por chavez).

Lo de la vivienda, los rumores son aún más feos de lo que pintas, esto es, si tú tienes una casa de 6 habitaciones, y tu familia son 4 personas, tendrías que albergar o dar casa a otra familia para que ocupe las habitaciones restantes, pero esto era lo que se hablaba y afortunadamente no ha sucedido nada de eso.

Sin embargo lo que si ha sucedido es que edificios vaciós, o departamentos vacios han sido expropiados por el gobierno, para ser entregados a los "necesitados" empleados gubernamentales, ningún departamento ha sido entregado a familias pobres como muchos supondrían, sino a bomberos, policias y empleados del gobierno. Además los edificios expropiados han sido edificios de lujo (Rosal Plaza) o incluso un edificio del partido opositor COPEI.

En cuanto a los negocios, los comercios están más regulados aquí en Venezuela que en México, efectivamente estan auditados por el SENIAT (homologo del SAT en México), y si no emites factura o falseas en tus declaraciones las pens son mayores que en México.

El PEJE efectivamente está siendo apoyado por Chavez, en las marchas oficialistas aquí en venezuela se han aparecido diputados del PRD, en México existen "células bolivarianas" que han financiado la campaña de AMLO y de EBRARD, sin embargo, después del impacto negativo que tuvo el saberse en Perú de que Ollanta Humala era financiado por Chavez, se decidió mantener en "secreto" dicho apoyo, pero muchas promesas de campaña de AMLO coinciden muchísimo con las políticas de Chavez, por ejemplo, la de la luz, gas y gasolina.

Ahora que mencionamos luz y gasolina, en Venezuela la energía eléctrica tiene un subsidio, pero igual sucede en México así que eso no cambiaría mucho, pero la gasolina aquí es practicamente regalada, el tanque de mi coche lo lleno con 2500 bolivares, (poco más de 10 pesos mexicanos). Pero esto solo es un beneficio para los que tenemos coche, ya que el transporte público es más caro que en la ciudad de México -a pesar de que la gasolina es regalada- aqui el pasaje cuesta 700 bolivares y va a subir a 800 bolivares, esto es 3.50 y subira a 4.00 pesos mexicanos, en México la tarifa mínima son 2.50 ¿o no?. Y aqui pareciera que no existe nada parecido a la "revista" vehicular, utilizan verdaderas carcachas como transporte público.

El metrobus cuesta 400 bolivares (2 pesos) pero algunas rutas tardan hasta 45 minutos en pasar (no es un transporte tan eficiente como en México). ¿Y los taxis?, a pesar de que la gasolina sea regalada, el transporte en taxi en caracas es carisimo -especialmente en distancias cortas-, el banderazo o tarifa minima son 5000 bolivares (25 pesos), existen los mototaxis (motocicletas) pero tampoco son baratas, cuestan 4000 bolivares por un recorrido de un par de kilometros. Y los taxis, aunque hay algunos en centros comerciales que al igual que en Mexico son unidades recientes, en la calle abundan los Caprice, Dart, Montecarlo o autos similares de los 70's habilitados como taxis (en México no serian rentables por el consumo de gasolina pero aqui se las regalan y por lo resistente de los motores son los más utilizados como taxi). En resumen, la gasolina barata no necesariamente significa transporte barato. Ahhh y en cuestion de reparaciones, mientras en Mexico cambias el aceite con 200 o 300 pesos, aqui te cuesta casi mil pesos cambiar el aceite, y no se hable de reparaciones mayores (mi cuñada tuvo que rectificar el motor de un corolla y la reparacion costo 5 millones de bolivares -25 mil pesos-, con eso en México hubiera comprado un auto similar).

Sin embargo la gasolina barata aunque funciona en Venezuela, no funcionaría en México ¿porque?, Venezuela tiene reservas de petroleo mucho mayores que las de México y es un país más pequeño, asi que con el dicho de que el petroleo es de los venezolanos es que tienen derecho a gasolina regalada. En México gran parte de los ingresos del gobierno provienen de la gasolina, como menciona learjet, si en México redujeran el precio de la misma, tendrían que recuperar esos ingresos a través de mayores impuestos en otras áreas.

Control de divisas, aqui con el afán de evitar la fuga de divisas, se impuso un control de divisas demasiado estricto, yo no puedo enviar dinero a México, puedo recibir pero no puedo enviar o si lo hago aprovechando mi estatus de extranjero, los impuestos son demasiado altos a grado tal que mejor llevo el dinero cuando viaje en lugar de enviarlo. Pero yo tengo esa facilidad por ser extranjero, sin embargo, para mi es ilegal venderle dolares a un venezolano, es ilegal para el venezolano comprar dolares. Y si un venezolano va a viajar al extranjero, se maneja un "cupo" de 4000 dolares al año, tanto para viajes como para compras de articulos importados, los gastos deben ser comprobables a tu regreso, de otra manera puedes ser incluso encarcelado.

En cuanto a la aviación. Volar en venezuela es cada vez más caro, el precio del combustible de avión no recibe los mismos beneficios que el combustible automotriz, y las refacciones -debido al control de divisas- son más caras y se se requiere obtener el permiso para adquirir dolares para comprar refacciones para un avion venezolano. Y traer un avion con matricula extranjera, tienes que sobornar a la guardia nacional en cada aeropuerto que llegues ya que si no te imponen muchas restricciones y el cobro de impuestos es mas caro que para un avion venezolano.

También las aerolíneas venezolanas han sufrido mucho (VIASA desapareció, AVENSA prácticamente tambien), y las nuevas están sufriendo, aunque es una esperanza que se haya elevado la categoría de la FAA a venezuela y por ello algunas empiezan a especular con traer más 767 (Santa Barbara) pero no deja de ser mal momento para la aviación venezolana. Incluso la aerolínea oficial CONVIASA, regreso el A340 y ahora opera su vuelo a Madrid en codigo compartido con Air Europa. Muchos pilotos venezolanos estan volando en Asia o Europa (los que tenian nacionalidad europea).

Si el Peje ganara e impusiera tal control de divisas, diganle adios a muchas aerolíneas mexicanas y solo las mas fuertes sobrevivirian.

As some have said it here... if this !$&!%/"/"%!/&!% wins tomorrow, Mexico will suffer YET another big collapse in its economy... huge crisis!!! If he wins I'll pack my stuff and fly to the States or Canada!!!!

ghooost77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

KLM685

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:03 pm

First of all, great topic for Mexicans, a great way to know each other's opinions and respect everyone's choices for elections tomorrow.

Tomorrow is not an easy day and Mexico's historic map is rising up again in two: ideologically and geographically speaking

The Blue North ( Calderón) and the Yellow South (Peje). Not something to be surprised of. Since colonial times the maps of Mexico has looked like that, historically that's how the country been divided. You can see that from the Spanish Conquest as all important tribes were in the south, and the north was mainly Spanish colonized. After that, the Spanish colony was built around the same ethnological map ( still with the richer north and the poorer south which was of course, mostly indians). Is well known that states as Chiapas, Oaxaca, Tabasco are the poor side of Mexico. Which shows with precision why " a new hope" is the predominant.

But also education and historic lessons show us why people is reacting like they're reacting. Lopez Obrador is no fool when talking to the Mexican people. He has taken advantage of the fear of PRI ruling again the country for some 75 more years plust he arrived in the right moment. When many people are dissappointed of the Fox administration only to say that the only good option is the political party that's left, which is HIS. People wants no more PRI, and some others hated PAN cuz apparently they did nothing ( which means they slept the past 6 years), so let's go for the PRD. Lopez Obrador studied well all this social phenomenons and used them in his political speech. His best propaganda came from saying how much of a victim he is, and of course of telling people how much the government is going over them by taking him out of the way.

During his administration as Mexico's City mayor, he hitted the right nail by lifting pensions for the elder and making monstrous constructions so that people could not easily just walk by life without actually hearing from him.

Now his campaign speech just went even further past presidential candidates. He actually dared to promise things that he probably knows he won't achieve, but also know that with those promises he'll gain voters in mass. What scare people the most is the question of How is he going to make all this things happen? The country has not that much money to suddenly rise salaries as a whole.

With all this i'm just trying to explain as to why people talk of him THAT MUCH. If you ask me there's not one single candidate that will actually make a difference and take the country to the next level

Peje: same story

Madrazo: probably the best POLITIC (in the sense of capability) and with the best team behind him. But his negative popularity is not going to make him win.

Campa: Sad but true, he only seeks a random vote.

Patricia Mercado: probably the best ideologically, but the worst in support.

and Calderón: which may not be the best candidate as well but I believe in a continuity with Fox's administration. Follow the same line and start making things better step by step and not suddenly by someone's will.

A COUNTRY CAN'T BE CHANGED IN SIX YEARS... at least for good. Cuz you can actually ruin it in much less than that.

The problem with Mexican politics is the lack of long-term politics and planning. Mexico is growing... at a very slow pace, but we as a country are going uphill after many crisis in the past. Almost two decades of economic uncertainty, we all need to take a breath now.

Very true, and for the younger ones that's why History is given as a school subject. To learn from the mistakes of the past and to actually know why we are standing on where we're standing.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 3):
Our "economic model" is a corrupt capitalism. Private gains, public losses (highways, banks, airlines, etc etc etc...). That needs to change.

Well if you don't agree with out "economic model" I suggest you start liking it as the world is actually spinning around capitalism. I'm not saying is good enough, but that's the way it is for now and for a long time. Private gains is a government problem as there's no basic regulation for the big companies. But at the end private gains result into investment which means money THAT NEEDS to go into the country. Without the proper investment, wealth can't be produced. How do you think agriculture will come out of the hole? Think about how would we be without investment? OTOH Public losses are a matter of erroneous administration, public losses are made by the pursuit of the head's own wealth. When the business is not yours, you don't care for an improvement, you only care for your own wealth. Which is entirely different as when private companies DO HAVE to search for a profit.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 6):
It's not the system. It's HONESTY and ETHICS that matters. Any corrupt system will fail, even capitalism

So first you complain about the economic model, capitalism and the system and now the fault comes with Honesty and ethics? But I do agree, honesty and ethics are JUST a part of what needs to be solved.

Norway and Sweden have too the same economic model that our country has, education truly makes the difference.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 7):
I think mexico would be better of with another 6 years of PRI crap, than with 6 years of Peje's shit

I agree, it's hard to say this but el PRI is the only party that has all the reason when saying they are the only ones that know how to govern. 75 years are not something that just go away.

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 9):
I am absolutely convinced that we need stability and continuity of the excellent job done by President Fox. My vote will go for Felipe Calderon.

I agree 100%.

Exactly, Lopez and Morales don't need to be militaries just to be from the left. It's their ideas what makes them common. Morales went up to the chair after his political speech of helping the poor. Obrador doesn't go far from that, Lula and Kirchner have something in common with that ( though Lula is more moderate), etc...

We all have to agree that there are levels for everything in this life. Of course we can not say that Obrador is in the same league as Castro, as that would be entirely stupid and without sense. A statement of that nature lacks reason. But the conclusion for this is that Obrador and Morales agree more with ideas that can also be heard from Castro, Chavez, Lula and Kirchner. ( Again, i'm not saying that they're the same)

Calderon:7
SFOMEX
Captaink
Josemex
FLY2HMO
Fly727
SR117
KLM685

AM744

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 12):
I thought he was a Catholic. Someone please confirm.

All candidates are catholic, the main difference comes that the PAN is mainly formed by more conservative religious people. In this aspect, Obrador is just an average catholic without any strong inclination to actually mix his job with his religion. Also the Constitution separates Church from the Government, which should let us to actually not worry about the religious belief of any candidate.

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 13):
This would be the ideal situation if the majority of the Mexican populace had had good access to education and were able to analyze things from an educated level. Most, if not all of you, were sent to good schools by your parents, and therefore have somewhat of a regular stability and the capacity to analyze what is the best path for the country to take. Yet the sad truth is that this is not the case with the majority of the population and the reason why Lopez Obrador can easily be the winner because he is directly speaking to all of those people who have been left out by the system.

I agree, the people's lack of education is one of the central axis of why Mr.Lopez is being suppored as it's being supported.

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 14):
You are not going to believe it but she could have been my mother. My dad dated her a loooooong time ago!

Her son goes to school with me and I'm a great friend of his. So this is another strange coincidence! lol He's one of the nicest persons i've ever met and truly one of the most inteligent!
Politics should stay aside of what one is in their personal lifes.

This man was re-elected with 80% of the vote for Mayor of Mexico City. He continued to live in his modest apartment instead of living with the rich in gated neighborhood. He apparently made major efforts against corruption in his term as Mayor. Something has to be done to help the poorest in Mexico, so they can be employed with decent pay so that can reduce their needs to going to the USA.

He won due to the popularity the PRD gained with Cuahutemoc Cardenas as a mayor and then again by that "No more PRI" moment we had 6 years ago. He did not win by his personal achievements. His modesty was also part of his campaign to gain the popular vote, he knew what he was doing back then.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 21):
I was born and raised in Mexico City. My family has lived here for generations (more than five that is) and I tell you, give me López Obrador over Oscar Espinoza Villareal anyday. You know who is him don't you? Thought so. Peje is no angel, nor Calderon, it's just that he's been demonized and intelligent and educated people are buying it, no questions asked. The media being the 4th power is a gross understatement in this case.

Of course we all prefer a López instead of Oscar Espinosa. The thing is nobody is actually trustworthy anymore. López didn't end THAT clean either as all of his staff was actually more corrupt than any other guy in the government.

That is a far-fetched conspiration theory. If anything Hugo Chavez would support Lopez Obrador, not the other way around, should it be of any use to him. I personally don't like Chavez, and I also don't think López Obrador is like him, if you check their "resumes" there are fundamental differences. The man is a democrat, please don't compare him with the South American dictator. We have been through that, 100 years ago... We are well past that point.

We agree on something finally. ( Doesn't mean i don't respect your opinions as respect is an essencial part for talking this things) But we never know how time changes people. But i'm sure that if López wins Chavez will be yelling from excitement as López will obviously be more in his side rather than the US side. Which we never know at the end. Mexico is so much into the US that it will be hard to change that.

Regarding Mexico's City mayor: Beatriz Paredes has my vote. I wouldn't like to see Marcelo up there doing more stupid things. He definately has not the political ability to govern as Obrador did. That's another one that really scares me.

Anyway, that's all i have to say. Comments are welcomed and let's hope electors vote for what they think is the right choice for the country.

Cheers!!

Alonso

PD. It just got to my mind, but i had this teacher that said that López Obrador should be just shortened to Mr. López as he is no royalty to be treated with his complete name. hehe  

[Edited 2006-07-02 10:21:41]
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

LTU932

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:17 pm

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 26):
Another interesting fact is that his true name is Manuel Andrés López Obrador - MALO.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Is that why he changed his name, just because of the initials?

You mean like the president that discredited our previously prestiged Diplomatic Service screwing our foreing relations with everyone in Latin America, including Nestor Kirchner?

Whom do you mean?  Confused

We have been through that, 100 years ago... We are well past that point.

The fact you went through a dictatorship 100 years ago (if that's what you meant) doesn't mean that one won't happen if the wrong man gets elected. Just look at Venezuela, Chávez also got elected democratically and later turned to a de-facto dictator. Plus, with Evo Morales running Bolivia now, there's another country where a populist could become another de-facto dictator. Bottom line is, it can still happen, anytime and anywhere. Even in my native Germany, where after Gerhard Schröder's lost election, we got rid of a kind of populist who ran our economy even more into the ground, and who did not even make a serious effort to reduce the unemployment rate by half, as he promised during his first campaign.

I'll be watching these elections closely.

fly727

Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:09 am

What a very special day! I feel proud and happy for the great participation in the process... It's just past 10am, already voted (second in line) and there were at least 300 people standing in line behind me to do the same.

Democracy rules!

RM  Smile

KLM685

Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 29):
What a very special day! I feel proud and happy for the great participation in the process... It's just past 10am, already voted

I know, I totally feel the same! I was up at 7:50, walked half a block and got in line. I was as well one of the first 10 to vote! Whan an amazing and important day!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

luisde8cd

Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:42 am

Last militar president in Mexico ruled in the 50's. Sorry, but we are not Venezuela and it shows. L�pez Obrador is not a militar, no comparison point whatsoever. And I'm not a leftie. I just don't buy the s**t that is repeated over and over again by the media. PG is NOT Chavez... don't believe the BS you see in TV. With all due respect, read some history from credible sources.

With all due respect, I still think you are very naive. We can agree that right now we don't know if he will become EXACTLY a Chavez II, but is it worth taking the risk to find out? That's my main point "Mejor malo conocido que bueno por conocer". Did you know that pro-Chavez cells are operating in southern mexico by offering free eye surgeries while they get brain-washed by socialist propaganda? They get the support from PRD mayors.

Take a look at Bolivia, Evo Morales ain't no soldier but he's following Chavez's "recipe of destruction" step by step. Today's Bolivia is voting for a new constitution supported by Evo just like we had to do in 1999 shortly after Chavez took power. The next step will be to finger-appoint the officials are the Supreme Court and Electoral Council so that he will be inmune to the law and win any other election....

So bottomline, the fact that you are so close minded to say that AMLO will NEVER be like Chavez, makes you very naive. Ijust hope he doesn't become a president like Chavez because he has a very strong chance of winning today's election.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:23 am

Last results!

Calderon:12
SFOMEX
Captaink
Josemex
FLY2HMO
Fly727
SR117
Latinplane
Theredbaron
Luisde8cd
LTU932
Ghost77
KLM685

Peje:2
AM744
LTBEWR

It looks like a landslide, but there are many hours ahead of us and it could change.  Wink

luisde8cd

Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:41 am

Something has to be done to help the poorest in Mexico, so they can be employed with decent pay so that can reduce their needs to going to the USA. That may be the best way to deal with the immigration problem in the USA

Yeah, have him hit the middle class so that they will have to flee the country and close their businesses, thus poor mexicans losing jobs.... that will solve the USA inmigraton problem.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

AM744

Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 22):
With all due respect, as I'm sure you meant it this "clasemediero"

It is a highly respectful adjective. I am one. Most of us here in a.net are. We PRODUCE and pay taxes.

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 27):
I suggest you start liking it as the world is actually spinning around capitalism.

I love capitalism, I just don't like family bussinesses dressed as open market. If a have, say, an IT company, I'd like to get some juicy government contracts, by the right means.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 27):
A COUNTRY CAN'T BE CHANGED IN SIX YEARS

Thats exactly what Fox said right before 2000 elections. That phrase always comes to mind when I hear people bitching about Fox's administration. Am I the only person to remember him saying that?

This years elections will probably be very close, probably between Peje and Calderon. One thing that worries me is that, should they be really, really close, and Calderon wins, I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be protests from Peje followers, but hopefully nothing too disorderly. But I trust Peje would admit defeat, even if its a close finish.

I've been reading news online, I'm glad to hear everything seems to be going in an orderly fashion, so far at least...

crossfingers 

ghost77

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 35):
Thats exactly what Fox said right before 2000 elections. That phrase always comes to mind when I hear people bitching about Fox's administration. Am I the only person to remember him saying that?

Nope! I also remember this, more over, Zedillo said it recently in its multiple conferences... you can't change Mexico in only 06 years... thus Fox will be with tied hands... we need more presidents like Zedillo and Fox...! We need to continue in this way and the educated citizens do more everyday for this great country! I'm really nervous as what results will look like at the end of this important day!

ghooost77 APM

fly727

Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:55 am

Any good, reliable on-line source of info? Please do not put El Norte or Reforma, as I don't have a subscription!

RM  crossfingers 

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 37):
Any good, reliable on-line source of info? Please do not put El Norte or Reforma, as I don't have a subscription!

www.eluniversal.com.mx
www.cronica.com.mx

Now, I'm trying to find sources with inside info about the exit polls. It's a fact that the tv networks will broadcast their until 8pm, but the results are already in circulation among some top circles.

Darn, where are the blogers when you need them? Remember that in the US presidential election they leaked some results way before the end of the journey.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 38):
Now, I'm trying to find sources with inside info about the exit polls. It's a fact that the tv networks will broadcast their until 8pm, but the results are already in circulation among some top circles.

I don't think exit polls are to reliable. But the IFE website says they won't release anything until after 2300 Mex time. They are obviously the only official source, I wouldn't trust anything else.

http://www.ife.org.mx/fechas_horas_destacadas.htm

LTU932

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 31):
That's my main point "Mejor malo conocido que bueno por conocer".

You know Luis, that's exactly what my mother thought when here in Costa Rica, she voted for Oscar Arias instead of the populist Ottón Solís. Bottom line is you're right. Sometimes the only choice is the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately, free elections around the world are all about choosing the lesser of two evils.

halls120

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:36 am

He apparently made major efforts against corruption in his term as Mayor.

Were those efforts successful? According to the following post, apparently not.

Corruption in Mexico city is even worse than before, thousands of illegal (pirate) taxis roam the city without any control, his 2 closest aides rene Bejarano was coaugh on tape and aired nationally recieving a payment of over 100 K Dollars for bribes and campaign "money" , his treasury secretary was taped at the Bellagio in LAS playing in the VIP "whale" area also aired nationally.....

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 17):
And some news agencies, specially AP, glorify Peje.

Well, of course they do. The press can always be counted on to swoon in the presence of a liberal socialist.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

LatinPlane

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:26 am

This is amazing folks!

Everyone is reporting that all expectations of voter turnover will be greatly surpased. It is now for sure expected that more than 60% of registered voters will excercise their right to vote. I am really proud of these results. You know what this means: This means that as a people, and as a culture, we are maturing and taking responsibility to make those political figures understand that the people have the power and not them!

In a couple of hours we should have a clear picture of what lies ahead for the country.

Smile LatinPlane

LatinPlane

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:54 am

laughing   point 

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 14):

Thanks God he married a gorgeous hot AeroMexico Flight Attendant, hence my incredible looks!

Geez, your mom must fully agree with my statements.

Smile LatinPlane

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:03 am

Too close to call!!!!!

TV network's exit polls can't define who wins this election.

A long, long night ahead of us.

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:10 am

A good link to follow the election:
www.eluniversal.com.mx (Spanish)

We'll have to wait three more hours to get an official result from the IFE.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:24 am

I can't get into IFE's website, looks like its down at this moment.

We will surely have a night full of suspense!!!  scared 

SFOMEX
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 46):
I can't get into IFE's website

Try one of the mirrors!

www.eluniversal.com.mx
www.reforma.com
www.milenio.com

Look for the links to the PREP.

ghost77

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:39 am

Try THIS!!!

http://elecciones.reforma.com/prep2006/default.htm

So far so good... it's looking good!!!

ghooost77 APM

MD11junkie

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:46 am

First of all, KLM685, great post. I salute you, and it's great to share chats with you.

If I were Mexican, I'd surely vote for Calderón. But the only thing I can do, is wish Mexico the best.

Thanks to him also, for this website:
http://elecciones.reforma.com/prep2006/default.htm

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD11junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!