aloges

Let's Hear Some "iPod Stories"!

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:09 am

So I ended up joining the spolied brats club and got myself an iPod off of eBay, the main reason being a power-hungry room-heating PC I've used for nothing but MP3 playback a few times too often. No more of that!

In the first week after I got it, it took it to a barbecue party at a friend's - she has a pair of tiny passive speakers which I decided to give a try. Well, I was glad my iPod is US-spec, so it lacks that volume restriction EU-spec iPods are said to have - the music was quite audible albeit not loud.

Well... one of the other guys at the barbecue started off with that cute "it's a useless over-priced fashion icon" remark, so I knew he was sooner or later going to ask me if he could try it out... took him about 20 minutes. Big grin I knew he couldn't really break or delete anything, so after a brief introduction to the interface I let him have some fun and make his choices.

About one third through the night (we left at 6 am or so), someone requested a song I knew I had and so I asked for my iPod back. Reply: along the lines of "Oh, just a second please, let's first finish this song!" followed by "I found another one, will you let me play it?" "Hey, that's cool... what do we have here?" "So what does this option do?" etc... almost had to fight for the thing.  Silly

I think I made someone WANT something that night.  Wink

What about you?

Oh, and Klaus - can the user-friendliness of the iPod and a Mac computer be compared directly?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BMIFlyer

RE: Let's Hear Some "iPod Stories"!

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:12 am

Well, everyone I know seems to have an ipod, so a few weeks ago I bought one  silly 

That's about it really  Sad

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

MastaHanky

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:28 am

I work in a large data center with several thousand rack-mounted servers.

Recently, one of the machines had a component die in it. I needed to get the serial number off the machine, but it was in a place where I couldn't easily read it, and the rail the machine was on was busted, so I couldn't easily pull the machine out.

Luckily I had my iPod with me. I was able to reach behind the machine and use the chrome finish on the back of the iPod as a mirror. From there I was able to read the serial number off the reflection of the iPod, which allowed me to complete warranty processing.  Big grin

aloges

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 2):
use the chrome finish on the back of the iPod as a mirror

That has got to be the reason why they're so popular with women! Big grin

NoUFO

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting Aloges (Thread starter):
Well, I was glad my iPod is US-spec, so it lacks that volume restriction EU-spec iPods are said to have - the music was quite audible albeit not loud.

There's a good reason for the volume restriction, though.
I support the right to arm bears

aloges

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 4):

And then there is a good reason why I never crank the volume up to 100% when I'm using earphones. Wouldn't want to do more damage to my inner hair cells than necessary.  Wink

NoUFO

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
And then there is a good reason why I never crank the volume up to 100% when I'm using earphones.

That's what everyone says, but one out of four young Germans who leave school suffers from a hearing loss that's comparable to that of 60-year-old.

Even with a build-in volume restriction, a hearing loss is basically inevitable, and you said you don't want the restriction.

This is to be seen against the background that your iPod will have to drown traffic noise (70 db). Add to this that since you like what you hear, you likely won't anticipate the volume as being "too loud" when the amplification in fact is already damaging.

When I was still going to school, I participated at a school project measuring the preferred volume fellow students chose for iPod's early sibling, the Walkman. Almost everyone was in for a surprise. What they considered to be 70 - 80 db was in fact 100 - 120 db. 85 db can damage your hearing.
We also did some audiometry, and many of those who volunteered had a notable hearing loss in the higher frequency ranges, which are important to understand human speech (and to enjoy music, btw).

[Edited 2006-07-06 04:10:21]

AC777LR

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:09 am

LOL I broke mine while in Nantucket this weekend, thank god I bought Bestbuys Product service protection plan, or else I would have been Fcked.
Member since April 2000

waterpolodan

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:32 pm

My nano which I bought off ebay 3 months ago just had a spontaneous screen failure  Sad. No matter what I do, I've tried resetting and reinstalling software off my computer, the screen turns on and goes to a blank white. The music would still play through the headphones before I tried reformatting it, but now it's just nothing. I'm really pissed, as apparently the cost to repair the screen is nearly what I paid for it, and I didn't drop it or anything. Anyone have any ideas on a cheap way to get it repaired, or had anything similar happen?

Cadet57

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:48 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 4):

What? Huh?

Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

planespotting

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:00 pm

I got my first iPod (15GB 2nd Gen) in January of 2004, right before I went to Ireland!

It was $299.99 at Best Buy, and I got a Best Buy Credit Card to buy it with no interest for one year! I also purchased the $40 2-year warranty, which REALLY paid off in the end. I'll get to that later.

I got my iPod before they were incredibly chic -- I just liked the idea of having all of my music in one little playing card deck sized device. Not that I minded having one when they became incredibly chic, but I have had very little problem with it.

I received my second iPod a year after my first in Feb of '05. I signed up on some Chicago Tribune sweepstakes thing, and lo and behold i somehow won a 4th Gen 40GB iPod ($399.99 value!). So I used my old one as a backup (haha), untillllllllll the 40GB somehow stopped working! Made me mad. And of course i waited too long to take it to the apple store and see if I could get the warranty from it.

SOooooooooooo I used my first one, and that one broke! But, luckily, I did have that two year warranty (which was about to expire). Sooooo, I sent it in with the Warranty and received a gift card for the same amount I purchased the Ipod...$299.99+ tax. So, I went and bought myself a brand new Video iPod from Best Buy, and of course the warranty (this time a 3 year one).

So yeah. If you want an iPod, go to Best Buy and get the warranty. Good stuff.

But one other story that i like. I took my iPod with me at my college graduation, and on the front page of the alumni magazine was me waiting in line with my iPod headphones clearly visible...aww. haha

on the left (they were much clearer in the glossy print version!)
Do you like movies about gladiators?

fxramper

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:02 pm

I've stated this before:

I jumped in my pool with my nano. It broke. Dumb me.

I called Apple Care and explained in detail what I did.

They told me no problem, shit happens. I got a prepaid envelope to send my broken one in and received a brand new iPod Nano in the mail.

I didn't pay shipping either way or a replacement fee.

I didn't even have insurance or the replacement plan.

I've since bought 3 more iPods as gifts.

Go Apple!  checkmark   yes   bouncy 

AC777LR

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 11):
I've stated this before:

I jumped in my pool with my nano. It broke. Dumb me.

I called Apple Care and explained in detail what I did.

They told me no problem, shit happens. I got a prepaid envelope to send my broken one in and received a brand new iPod Nano in the mail.

I didn't pay shipping either way or a replacement fee.

I didn't even have insurance or the replacement plan.

I've since bought 3 more iPods as gifts.

Go Apple! checkmark yes bouncy

That's good customer service man, wow!!!

I hope I get mine back with my music on it, or else I am effed. I had a ton of songs I got off limewire that took me ages to download and I crashed my HD on this computer so I lost all mu music on here, thinking in the back of my head ah its on my ipod. Well what a tangled web I wived.
Member since April 2000

nudelhirsch

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:18 pm

I have a 60GB photo which I am trying to sell...

...because I got a 60G video brand new for free by burning my AA miles on points.com for some crutchfield gift certificates...  Smile

That is my best iPod story...  Smile
Putana da Seatbeltz!

itsjustme

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:04 pm

iPod mini here (4GB). Have had it for about 2 years. Mainly use it for long (motorcycle) rides and while at work (I'm in a car a lot). My only bitch is the battery life. Or, lack of, actually. And this crap that you have to send the whole unit back to have a new one installed (for the low low price of $99 no less) chaps my ass a bit. I know there are ways to disassemble it myself but, as far as I know, doing so would void any warranties/insurance I have on the unit and as prone as I am to losing/breaking stuff, that wouldn't be a wise move.

I can't say I swear by iPod as I don't have anything to compare it to. Also, I am purposely holding off on sending the thing in for a new battery as I want to see if the MP3 player that Microsoft is coming out with will be any better.

Klaus

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:23 pm

I think I made someone WANT something that night.

Yeah... it's a bit addictive...!  mischievous 

What about you?

Nothing spectacular, really. Got a nano and I'm using it pretty much every day since. It just works as expected.  Smile

Oh, and Klaus - can the user-friendliness of the iPod and a Mac computer be compared directly?

In a word: Yes.
Certainly worth taking a closer look for the very least.

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 2):
Luckily I had my iPod with me. I was able to reach behind the machine and use the chrome finish on the back of the iPod as a mirror. From there I was able to read the serial number off the reflection of the iPod, which allowed me to complete warranty processing.

Nice!  silly 
But it's actually just polished stainless steel, not a chrome coating.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 4):

In theory, yes; But even with the volume cap, you can still easily ruin your ears - just not quite as quickly. And connecting the player (the iPod isn't the only affected device) to a line in input of an external amplifier (at home or in the car) is really awkward when you have to turn up that amplifier's volume quite a bit beyond the normal level, with the disadvantages that come with it.

That's why I un-capped mine with goPod and I'm now back to actually having to use my own common sense in order to limit the damage to my ears...!

I'm relatively careful with that, however. I always use open headphones at low to medium volume, and if traffic drowns out my music temporarily, well, too bad!

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 8):
My nano which I bought off ebay 3 months ago just had a spontaneous screen failure  .

Ouch; That doesn't sound too good... Of course with used items you never know what had happened to them before. Sad

There is not all that much you can do, I'm afraid... Re-initialize it with the iPod utility and try again - but I doubt that it's just that.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 14):
My only bitch is the battery life. Or, lack of, actually.

Unfortunately all batteries lose capacity over time, depending on the usage pattern... one can only hope that this technology-inherent problem will be overcome in time. Sad

And this crap that you have to send the whole unit back to have a new one installed (for the low low price of $99 no less) chaps my ass a bit. I know there are ways to disassemble it myself but, as far as I know, doing so would void any warranties/insurance I have on the unit and as prone as I am to losing/breaking stuff, that wouldn't be a wise move.

Actually, as far as I know (no guarantee here!), warranty will not be lost as long as you don't actually cause the damage yourself. Self-service is normally discouraged, but third-party battery replacement kits generally come with instructions and even opening tools. Still, if you think you're not up to it it's better to have the battery replaced by the manufacturer.

I am purposely holding off on sending the thing in for a new battery as I want to see if the MP3 player that Microsoft is coming out with will be any better.

From all past experience with them I wouldn't get my hopes up too far.

itsjustme

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):
That's why I un-capped mine with goPod and I'm now back to actually having to use my own common sense in order to limit the damage to my ears...!

Hey Klaus, what exactly does 'goPod' do? I looked at that site but it's not exaclty a wealth of information.

satx

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:41 pm

I had a 3rd generation iPod die on me when the HDD went out just after the warranty was over. Its costs roughly $100 to get one of their funky IDE PC-Card HDDs. Nuts to that. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace it with though. Any suggestions? Like the OP, I tend to avoid using my 500 watt home stereo because it's such a waste of energy and heats up the room every time I use it.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Klaus

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:42 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 16):
Hey Klaus, what exactly does 'goPod' do? I looked at that site but it's not exaclty a wealth of information.

No, it's not! Big grin

It only does one thing: It disables (or re-enables) the volume limitation european iPods have due to a french law. Apple apparently chose to not differentiate between France and the rest of Europe, so we all are getting the limited ones.

In all other regions - especially in the US - iPods should still be "unlimited" by default (although the latest firmware allows to set a voluntary volume cap in the setup menu).

itsjustme

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 18):
It only does one thing: It disables (or re-enables) the volume limitation european iPods have due to a french law. Apple apparently chose to not differentiate between France and the rest of Europe, so we all are getting the limited ones.

In all other regions - especially in the US - iPods should still be "unlimited" by default (although the latest firmware allows to set a voluntary volume cap in the setup menu).

OK, thanks. I didn't know the US pods were still voluntary as far as the volume cap went. Will have to take a look see at the setup menu again.

Klaus

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:48 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 17):
I had a 3rd generation iPod die on me when the HDD went out just after the warranty was over.

Modern harddisks have become relatively robust by now, but they're still susceptible to mechanical damage. A sudden movement or mechanical shock at the wrong time can still kill them, so harddisk-based players should always be handled with care (especially when playing).

It was one of the reasons I got a solid-state nano with flash memory instead.

Klaus

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:50 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 19):
OK, thanks. I didn't know the US pods were still voluntary as far as the volume cap went. Will have to take a look see at the setup menu again.

The voluntary volume cap is actually a rather new feature in the very latest firmware version from a few weeks ago.

Doona

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:59 pm

I bought mine in February this year, an Ipod Video with 30gb. I was starting to feel restless and irritable since I had not purchased any cool gadgets since I was in Japan (and that was an electronic dictionary...) so I decided to spend a hunk of money on an Ipod. I had some money over from Christmas I just figured that something so expensive (roughly 430 fucking dollars) would satisfy my gadget-need for at least nine or ten months. And it did!

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

satx

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:15 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 20):

Modern harddisks have become relatively robust by now, but they're still susceptible to mechanical damage. A sudden movement or mechanical shock at the wrong time can still kill them, so harddisk-based players should always be handled with care (especially when playing).

I've banged the crap out of my notebook computer while it was on with the defrag running and anything else you can think of without issue. Some drives are made sturdy and others aren't. The PC-Card drive that comes with the 3rd generation iPods is not very sturdy in my view.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 20):
It was one of the reasons I got a solid-state nano with flash memory instead.

I'm looking past Apple this time. They make great looking devices with easy menus, but they don't seem to consider the durability issues to be a high priority. They also seem to cost twice as much as the next guy.

RichardPrice

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:27 pm

I bought my first iPod in October 2002. Within 1 week of me buying it and using it in the office, 5 others had been purchased by colleagues  Smile

Then in 2004 I did the same with a Mac computer - bought my iBook, 2 weeks later 4 others had been purchased in the office.

Now, what else can I buy....

itsjustme

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:52 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 24):
Now, what else can I buy....

Do your fellow workers a huge favor and buy a winning lottery ticket next.

airbusA346

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Talking of volume of iPods, my mate has blown up every left earphone, due to the volume he listens to music, but why is it always the left.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

JamieD

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:02 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 1):
Well, everyone I know seems to have an ipod, so a few weeks ago I bought one

The phrase "more money than sense" comes to mind.

Klaus

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:08 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 23):
I've banged the crap out of my notebook computer while it was on with the defrag running and anything else you can think of without issue.

Especially during defragmentation that is extremely dangerous - you are likely to significantly shorten the life of your harddisk that way and risking all your data in the process as well. Jolting a running computer around is extremely risky with regard to the harddisk. You were simply lucky, but the harddisk may still have suffered damage, even if it was able to recover from it superficially. It is quite likely that it merely re-mapped any damaged sectors elsewhere so you didn't immediately recognize what was going on.

Quoting SATX (Reply 23):
Some drives are made sturdy and others aren't. The PC-Card drive that comes with the 3rd generation iPods is not very sturdy in my view.

If that was the case, they would have huge numbers of defective harddisk-based iPods by now, and that's simply not the case.

And it's not that simple, really. A notebook computer has much more mass than an iPod does, so the acceleration its harddisk suffers is also somewhat smaller. Apple has by now integrated acceleration sensors into their notebook computers which will signal when the harddisk is in danger so an emergency shutdown (head parking) can prevent the worst of it.

Quoting SATX (Reply 23):
I'm looking past Apple this time. They make great looking devices with easy menus, but they don't seem to consider the durability issues to be a high priority.

Quite the opposite, usually. The way you seem to handle your portable harddisks, it was sheer luck that you didn't kill other ones before...

Quoting SATX (Reply 23):
They also seem to cost twice as much as the next guy.

Good luck finding an even halfway adequate iPod replacement for a much lower price, let alone half the price!

satx

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 28):
Especially during defragmentation that is extremely dangerous - you are likely to significantly shorten the life of your harddisk that way and risking all your data in the process as well. Jolting a running computer around is extremely risky with regard to the harddisk. You were simply lucky, but the harddisk may still have suffered damage, even if it was able to recover from it superficially. It is quite likely that it merely re-mapped any damaged sectors elsewhere so you didn't immediately recognize what was going on.

I've had a half-dozen hard disks fail on me, all of them in desktops that never moved a single inch while the hard drive was running. I have yet to have a single notebook hard drive fail on me (I've gone through three notebooks so far).

If that was the case, they would have huge numbers of defective harddisk-based iPods by now, and that's simply not the case.

From what I read on the various forums, they do seem to have plenty of failures. Look, with the PC-Card sized drive running, if you press ever so slightly against the flat side of the HDD case it will impact the spinning platter! I've never seen that before. (This was done after the drive was already screwed up.)

And it's not that simple, really. A notebook computer has much more mass than an iPod does, so the acceleration its harddisk suffers is also somewhat smaller. Apple has by now integrated acceleration sensors into their notebook computers which will signal when the harddisk is in danger so an emergency shutdown (head parking) can prevent the worst of it.

I've been using run-of-the-mill Compaq's and HP's, nothing fancy and they seem to do just fine (the notebook drives that is; the desktop drives fail on me all the time).

Quite the opposite, usually. The way you seem to handle your portable harddisks, it was sheer luck that you didn't kill other ones before...

Years and years of unbelievably good luck with notebook hard drives that got banged around like there was no tomorrow versus decades of unbelievably bad luck with desktop hard drives that lived a very easy life. I think it might have more to it than simply "luck".

Good luck finding an even halfway adequate iPod replacement for a much lower price, let alone half the price!

$300 is only worth it if the thing can last more than one year.

airbusA346

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:38 pm

An other question because I don't want to start a new thread, in the new car that my family got yesterday there is a 'AUX Jack' for connecting an iPod, and would like to know where I can buy the cables from and what they look like.

Thanks
Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

JamieD

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:43 pm

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 30):
there is a 'AUX Jack' for connecting an iPod, and would like to know where I can buy the cables from and what they look like.

http://www.ukipodrepairs.com/shop_cables.php

Scroll down to the 'iPod Computer Speaker Cable - Male/Male Audio Cable'.  Smile

airbusA346

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:03 pm

Quoting JamieD (Reply 31):
http://www.ukipodrepairs.com/shop_cables.php

Scroll down to the 'iPod Computer Speaker Cable - Male/Male Audio Cable'.

Thanks Jamie.

7 feet long cable  Wow!

Tom.

itsjustme

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 30):

You can also find some cool accessories here. My favorite is the adapter that makes it possible to play whatever you have on your iPod through your FM stereo. At home or in your vehicle.

Klaus

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 29):
From what I read on the various forums, they do seem to have plenty of failures.

Among over twenty million iPods sold worldwide, actually shoddy quality would still mean millions of defective units. I have no doubts that there are quite a number of vocal users with a defective one, but I see no indication that it's a significant percentage of total units sold.

Quoting SATX (Reply 29):
Look, with the PC-Card sized drive running, if you press ever so slightly against the flat side of the HDD case it will impact the spinning platter! I've never seen that before. (This was done after the drive was already screwed up.)

Those micro-drives are not intended to be handled by a user directly, contrary to the bigger ones. They are very much optimized for low weight and are always contained within a hard outer shell anyway, so I fail to see the problem.

Quoting SATX (Reply 29):
Years and years of unbelievably good luck with notebook hard drives that got banged around like there was no tomorrow versus decades of unbelievably bad luck with desktop hard drives that lived a very easy life. I think it might have more to it than simply "luck".

That is exactly what it was! Bad luck (I've had one single harddisk fail on me so far, through over twenty years of using various computers) and good luck (mobile harddisks are "hardened" to a point, but "banging them around" is the surest way to kill them nevertheless. It's just a bad idea).

Quoting SATX (Reply 29):
$300 is only worth it if the thing can last more than one year.

Agreed; But being careful about mechanical shocks is one way to make a major difference with its lifetime.

You can still ask Apple if they'd help you anyway, but buying any kind of harddisk without an extended warranty is just asking for trouble, be it in an iPod or otherwise.

halls120

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:58 pm

What about you?

Had my Ipod since last November. Love it.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ardian

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:42 pm

Well, the most funny story happened here on A.net! I used to be an anti-iPod member (I really hated the fact that everybody at my campus has an iPod because it's so cool & funky).
So I was looking for an mp3-player with good software and friendly usability. My first chose would be the Sony NW-A3000 (I really love the looks and wanted to use the atrac3-format). Unfortunately the software from Sony is absolutely horrible.
I once had the opportunity to try the Nano from my nephew and since I already had iTunes installed it worked very easy. The Nano is quite a gimmick and I loved the musicquiz, but I still believed it was something overrated, too expensive with little batterypower.

A few months ago there was (how ironically) a topic on a.net if the iPod was overrated. I stated yes, but Klaus gave me some arguments Big grin
Then when I was ready to purchase the Sony in a cheap electronical retail store in Holland (The Mediamarkt) I wasn't really impressed by it's price (I saw it actually cheaper on a different site, but it was sold out over there). After thinking what to do, I spotted an advertisement from the Mediamarkt: it had the iPod Video (30 gig) as a special offer for €299,-! I couldn't believe my eyes and I've quickly made a decision: I already used iTunes, love the looks from iPod, was impressed by its great usability (clickwheel!) and enjoyed the musicquiz from my nephew's Nano.
In ten minutes I walked out the door with my new black iPod complete with adaptor.

Now I'm more than happy with my iPod, I'm even addicted to it! I Watch some vodcasts, listens to podcasts, rip all my cd's to iTunes and bought a very nice wallet for it!

wink 

BMIFlyer

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting JamieD (Reply 27):
The phrase "more money than sense" comes to mind

LMAO.

Nah, actually I was fed up of carrying my CD player and half my albums in my luggage with me whenever I went on vacation  Wink

Now, the ipod just slides into my pocket Big grin

Lee

alphafloor

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:52 pm

Got mine one year ago. I use it in the car most of the time and for music background when I've guests at home. I've more than 8000 CDs on my iPod, and use it almost everyday. No more broken CDs in the car ! Simply fantastic and I think that I hardly could live without from now on.
Whatever

JamieD

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 37):
Nah, actually I was fed up of carrying my CD player and half my albums in my luggage with me whenever I went on vacation

Fair enough. At least it actually gets used, rather than just being an expensive fashion statement.  Silly

BMIFlyer

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting JamieD (Reply 39):
Fair enough. At least it actually gets used, rather than just being an expensive fashion statement.

Alot of girls I know come under the category of "Expensive Fashion Statement"* 

Lee

*Girls / women / females - whatever we like to call 'em

[Edited 2006-07-06 15:36:59]

JamieD

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 40):
Alot of girls I know come under the category of "Expensive Fashion Statement"

Same here. And I think I prefer my iPod. It does what I say, costs less, and never answers back. Big grin

AC773

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 4):

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 6):
Even with a build-in volume restriction, a hearing loss is basically inevitable

I think the above speaks for itself  biggrin 

The real solution is to buy some decent headphones or earbuds. Etymotic and Shure offer some great earbuds that go further in your ear, completely blocking outside noise. This same feature allows them to have fantastic sound quality and great bass response. There are many full-size headphones out there that also block out noise, made by companies such as Sennheiser, Ultrasone, and Audio Technica.

But it's actually just polished stainless steel, not a chrome coating.

I actually had an interesting experience with that once. I had a 4th gen iPod that I was extremely careful with. I even had a case and everything. Nonetheless, it got a few scratches on the back. I was tired of this, and also of the case, so I decided to do something about it. I went down to the hardware store to buy a "wire brush" attachment for my power drill. After disassembling the iPod, I just went at the back of it with the wire brush and the drill. Everything went fine, and it looked great!

Unfortunately all batteries lose capacity over time, depending on the usage pattern

That's true, though you can do something about it if you're at all mechanically inclined. A company called "Other World Computing" offers replacement iPod batteries that you can put in yourself. They give detailed instructions, and even supply you with a special tool that makes it easy to open the iPod up. You can also send it to OWC and have them do it.

-AC773
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

NoUFO

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:08 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 42):
Quoting NoUFO (Reply 4):

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 6):
Even with a build-in volume restriction, a hearing loss is basically inevitable

I think the above speaks for itself

Well, with a protection, the damage will probably be less severe. By saying the volume restriction bothers you, you claim that you are willing to exceed a reasonable volume.

Quoting AC773 (Reply 42):
The real solution is to buy some decent headphones or earbuds. Etymotic and Shure offer some great earbuds that go further in your ear, completely blocking outside noise.

In other words, you won't hear the concrete truck unless it runs over you?

satx

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:18 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 34):
Agreed; But being careful about mechanical shocks is one way to make a major difference with its lifetime.

Being careful with a home stereo is one thing, being careful with a portable music player is something else. I think Apple expects too much of their users. At least, that's my view. The fact that they moved to solid state devices seems to imply I might be right about that.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 34):
You can still ask Apple if they'd help you anyway, but buying any kind of harddisk without an extended warranty is just asking for trouble, be it in an iPod or otherwise.

Extended warranties only make sense if you're buying something that's not designed to last. I'd rather buy something that's designed to last and forgo the extended warranty.

AC773

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 43):

Yes, and probably you won't even hear it when it's on top of you.  biggrin 

We do have eyes though, good for looking out for stuff like that. And really, you're just as aurally detached from the outside world if you pump up the volume on your standard Apple earbuds.

-AC773
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Klaus

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting Ardian (Reply 36):
A few months ago there was (how ironically) a topic on a.net if the iPod was overrated. I stated yes, but Klaus gave me some arguments

You're welcome!  bigthumbsup 
Now we only have to work on that computer in your picture...!  mischievous 

Well, with a protection, the damage will probably be less severe. By saying the volume restriction bothers you, you claim that you are willing to exceed a reasonable volume.

No. For me it simply says "I want to connect the iPod to an ordinary line in input!"

A normal car would do just nicely, too! Big grin

Actually, that's one of the reasons why I prefer open headphones which do not isolate you from your surroundings at all but simply add the music as if it was playing from loudspeakers nearby.

Even walking around on the streets but especially riding a bicycle would simply make it too dangerous to wear isolating headphones. And if external noise drowns out the music for a few seconds, you better check where that noise is coming from anyway!

RayChuang

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:49 pm

While the iPod is a nice unit there are a number of issues I have with them:

1. You can't replace the battery, so if the battery runs down you're SOL until you get it recharged using a power adapter.

2. Many of the functions on the iPod--especially the newer models--can confuse new users to no end.

3. The iTunes software used to transfer music to an iPod is finicky to use and if not used properly can unintentionally erase music off the iPod very easily.  Wow!

4. iPod's are pretty expensive--the least-expensive truly usable iPod model (Nano) STARTS at US$150 with little or no discounting at most retailers.

IFEMaster

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:00 am

Not so much an iPod story as an iPod accessory story. About a week ago I decided I wanted to be able to listen to my iPod in the car. I carpool with my wife as her office is just a stone's throw from mine, and we both have iPods. She has a 6GB iPod Mini and I have a 60GB Video iPod. I went to various stores to check out what's available, and read some reviews online, and ended up settling for the Monster iCarPlay Plus.

There are three words to describe it: Piece Of Crap.

Now I think the problems I had with it stem from the fact that the radiowaves in the LA/OC/SD areas are choc full of radio stations, and it's difficult to find an unused frequency. I would find one, tune the iCarPlay to it, and it would sound totally awesome. But as soon as I'd start driving, the sound would fill with static and it would sound crap again.

I took the iCarPlay back and got a refund and began exploring hard-wired options.

I ended up get the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play. Absolutely awesome. Totally crisp sounds, a neat interface, and ergonomic control surface that sits right by the handbrake. This thing is awesome.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Klaus

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 44):
Extended warranties only make sense if you're buying something that's not designed to last. I'd rather buy something that's designed to last and forgo the extended warranty.

Harddisks are not designed to last in any case. They are considered consumables with a limited life in both hours and cycles, and with strict limits to the mechanical and other environmental loads they can sustain.

I'm with you that there should be stronger emphasis in advertising and documentation on proper handling of harddisk-based players (from all manufacturers, as they're all using the same technology, often even the same drive types); But much of it is really common sense. It is a delicate mechanical device, and it should be handled like one.

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 47):
1. You can't replace the battery, so if the battery runs down you're SOL until you get it recharged using a power adapter.

True; Although it's only a factor on really long journeys, normally... And a replaceable battery automatically means substantially increased bulk and weight (just compare the respective models).

2. Many of the functions on the iPod--especially the newer models--can confuse new users to no end.

I don't know... is there any player which is easier to use...?
Except for the somewhat more advanced setup options, I don't really see your point...

3. The iTunes software used to transfer music to an iPod is finicky to use and if not used properly can unintentionally erase music off the iPod very easily.

No, not if you're using your iPod with iTunes as intended... such a case is only possible when using it alternatingly with third-party software.

4. iPod's are pretty expensive--the least-expensive truly usable iPod model (Nano) STARTS at US$150 with little or no discounting at most retailers.

There's still the iPod shuffle...