Duff44
Topic Author

F1 News: Montoya Going To Nascar!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:05 am

Watching the press conference right now....

He's going to drive the 42/Havoline car being vacated by Casy Mears for Chip Ganassi racing.

He apparently had a chance with Williams or Red Bull, and turned them down.

His only stock car experience is a made-for-TV test where he and Jeff Gordon swapped cars in 2003.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=224570
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

nosedive

RE: F1 News: Montoya Going To Nascar!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:51 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Damn you! Damn you all! Esp. ANCFlyer  Wink

legoguy

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:14 am

Damn!!!

Quoting Duff44 (Thread starter):
He apparently had a chance with Williams or Red Bull, and turned them down.

I wonder why he turned them down!?! Formula one is alot better than Nascar in terms of ranking. Accident rates in formula one will plumet now!  Sad (only the small, 'no one gets hurt' but looks good accidents)
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

lijnden

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:16 am

Didn't the guy start there as well?
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

nosedive

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting Lijnden (Reply 3):
Didn't the guy start there as well?

He started with Chip Ganassi in CART, one of America's open wheel series.

Also SpeedTV is saying JPM, wonder if the "P" will stay, will be running NASCAR Busch events later this yr...  Sad thumbsdown  pessimist  mad  hissyfit  cry 

kaddyuk

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:25 am

Dont let the door hit you in the butt on the way out...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

slider

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:28 am

There will also be a driver from IRL perhaps crossing over after next season, but I cannot divulge.

Dougloid

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:36 am

Let's just hope that he stays in NASCAR. If ever he comes back to F1 with the kind of ungentlemanly, good old boy juking and shoving stuff, it'll be a frigging revolution.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Duff44
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 2):
I wonder why he turned them down!?!

My guess would be that Williams lowballed him on salary (like he does EVERYBODY), and at Red Bull he would have had to team with DC, which I think nobody wants to do now.

slider

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 7):
Let's just hope that he stays in NASCAR. If ever he comes back to F1 with the kind of ungentlemanly, good old boy juking and shoving stuff, it'll be a frigging revolution.

Yeah, things like PASSING would be heretical in F1!!

Wink

Boeinglover24

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:33 am

Finally a reason for me to watch NASCAR......
and finally another not-white Nextel Cup driver...

Still crossing my fingers for a Raikkonen-Alonso driver lineup next year...
: )
Uhhh What?

legoguy

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 8):
and at Red Bull he would have had to team with DC, which I think nobody wants to do now.

Whats so bad about DC. The guys a legend  Smile

Boeinglover24

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 11):

Whats so bad about DC. The guys a legend Smile

That's the problem the guy is too old...
Uhhh What?

legoguy

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting Boeinglover24 (Reply 12):

He still has what it takes to be in formula one. If he's too old, then Montoya would see that as a chance to outshine his team mate for once. And Red Bull wern't likely to use any teammate tactics like Ferrari!  Smile

jwenting

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:12 am

Quoting Boeinglover24 (Reply 12):

And that's the main problem with F1 right now. Any driver who's been there a few years is considered "too old".

I rather think Montoya has had it up to here with always playing second fiddle in a team.
He wants to drive for himself instead of being the supporting driver for someone else for a change, a position he won't get in F1 unless he moves to one of the low budget teams and becomes first driver next to guys like Monteiro or Alberts.
I wish I were flying

legoguy

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 14):
I rather think Montoya has had it up to here with always playing second fiddle in a team.
He wants to drive for himself instead of being the supporting driver for someone else for a change, a position he won't get in F1 unless he moves to one of the low budget teams and becomes first driver next to guys like Monteiro or Alberts.

I honestly think that Montoya would not have played second fiddle at Red Bull

[Edited 2006-07-09 23:20:56]

Duff44
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:25 am

Monty would have moved down to take the seats at Williams or Red Bull, which won't be competitive. And I'm assuming that since he's jumping ship, McLaren had no intentions of bringing him back.

He was basically left with a uncompetitive F1 ride, or no F1 ride.

bill142

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:08 am

This is actually a bit disappointing. It wouldn't be so bad if he were going back to Cart or into IRL but Nascar? Yick..

So now with one driver out of the equation, The spare seats at McLaren, Renault and Ferrari are probably looking more full.

waterpolodan

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 16):
Monty would have moved down to take the seats at Williams or Red Bull, which won't be competitive.

May not be true... williams doesn't have much prospect for success on the horizon, but Red Bull has the $$ and now the designer to compete with the best... the first all Adrian Newey designed car will be run next year, and they will either have renault or ferrari V8 engines, so I'd say they will be a very competitive team.

LTU932

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:26 am

Good riddance. I'm happy Montoya is leaving, he's truely one of the most ungentlemanly drivers in the history of Formula 1.

ltbewr

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:49 am

It is kind of a shock. Maybe he doesn't want to deal with the politics of F-1 anymore. He did win some races, had a number of podium finishes in his F-1 career, but it is a tough business and very difficult to stay. He is getting up in age for an F-1 driver so probably sees a limited future. Besides, he was quite successful in the CART series, with a number of races on ovals.
I heard him on Speed Channel tonight and he wants to go into NASCAR for the competition, racing against drivers that respect each other inches from each other at 180 mph/300kmh. He also seems to love living in the USA and has his primary home in Miami, Florida. To me he also likes the idea that there isn't the 'ageism' of other forms of racing, with a number of racers still competitive into their 50's in NASCAR.
I wonder what he will think about doing the Saturday night races at Bristol and the other 'soup bowl' tracks.... biggrin 

oli80

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:17 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 19):
Good riddance. I'm happy Montoya is leaving, he's truely one of the most ungentlemanly drivers in the history of Formula 1.

My sentiments exactly!  Wink

Will he really be missed? What exactly has he done since he made the switch to F-1? Not a great deal really, maybe about 7 wins in 6 years?

A340Spotter

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:28 pm

Have to admit as a long time (27 year) fan of NASCAR, I didn't see this one coming. I have heard rumblings of a few IRL, CART and even another F1 driver thinking of running NASCAR, but didn't think I'd see it.
IRL driver thinking of crossing over? Sam Hornish keeps popping up, Danica says the season's too long, but one never knows as endorsements would be through the roof if she came over.
CART wise, Paul Tracy is running some Busch races already so he's always a possibility.
F1 wise, Jacques Villeneuve has also mentioned interest in NASCAR, and even Michael Schumacher had interest in running the cars as 3 years ago, during one of his motorcycle rides over here, he stopped in to the Fort Worth track to try his hand at the Richard Petty Driving Experience there, but he was turned away that day due to the classes being full. He didn't use his celebrity to get a ride, just shrugged it off and rode away (then again, the Texans didn't realize it was him!)...I'd bet that if he was to retire this year or next that IROC would take a serious run at getting him to come over as scheduling would no longer be an issue.

JSD
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

bill142

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 22):
and even Michael Schumacher had interest in running the cars as 3 years ago

I doubt that. MS has said before that Ovals scare him.

scbriml

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:57 pm

I'm afraid that JPM will not be missed in F1. Another driver from Indy/CART that failed to live up to the hype.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

ba757

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:17 pm

NASCAR as indeed has been said is a shock, but whatever, who cares? For sure there is a free seat at Mclaren now.

Who do you reckon will take it?

Raikkonen (hopefully fingers x) ?
Paffet ?
Hamilton ?

Another F1 driver?

Is Rosberg under contract with Williams next year? Or anyone else?
If he isn't I will be most surprised if he doesn't move to Mclaren. He has the speed, and Mercedes would love him with been a German (Finnish?) and Ron would love him too, as he seemingly loves Finnish drivers.

Adam

Tifoso

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:30 pm

and at Red Bull he would have had to team with DC, which I think nobody wants to do now.

DC is a great driver, and I am sure the younger drivers will be more than happy to learn some lessons from him.

My guess would be that Williams lowballed him on salary (like he does EVERYBODY),

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the money. JPM can never get along with Sam Michael, especially after the fallout they had over the radio. Red Bull would have been a good choice considering that they are strong financially, and have Newey working there.

By joining RBR or Williams, JPM would not be able to fight for the championship, but he may have a better opportunity of doing so in NASCAR. Anyways, JPM never really made it big because of his attitude. Another F1 talent wasted, one who has hailed as the next Schumacher when he entered the sport in 2000.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 23):
MS has said before that Ovals scare him.

IIRC, he said the few of safety features in a NASCAR car scared him, not the oval tracks.

Regards

bill142

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 24):
I'm afraid that JPM will not be missed in F1. Another driver from Indy/CART that failed to live up to the hype.

Montoya should never have gone to Cart. If it wasn't for Williams taking Zanardi then he would have made his way into the Williams in 1999. He should have gone in 2000 but Chip took up an option that Frank Williams gave him, despite Montoya being on a long term contract with Williams, just like he had with Button.

CptGermany

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 14):

Or, unless he shows some good driving and wins races or at least beats his teammate. IMHO, he overdrives the car with his aggressive driving style, and if that is not the case, he crashes with somebody because of some stupid move (e.g. see crash with Rosberg in Canada and the crash he caused in the first two turns of Indianapolis last week).

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 19):

I don't know about the past, but currently he certainly is not Mr. Nice Guy. He needs to accept the fact that F1 cars are not made for bumping into each other. I believe, JPM will do much better in NASCAR because aggressive driving style is more rewarded in that sport.

Quoting BA757 (Reply 25):
For sure there is a free seat at Mclaren now. Who do you reckon will take it?

I am pretty sure that Kimi Raikonnen will stay at McLaren. Especially because they stated earlier this season that only one driver will leave and the other will stay. With Kimi and Fernando they have two terrific drivers. Now McLaren 'only' has to present a reliable car. Whatever happened to the McLaren that built Mika Hakkinnen's car?

ltbewr

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:03 am

Now there are stories on ESPN.com that Danica Patrick may jump to NASCAR next season, as her current contract ends this season. This season with them not having the advantage of Honda engines (all have them now), chassies maker changes, improvements in competition, may be making her want to jump ship now. Of course, the endorsement/sponsorship $$$'s could be huge, especially if she could crack into the top 10 in points.

Kay

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:23 am

I can understand Montoya's decision.

Formula 1 has become incredibly boring and regulated, no other sport has suffered the disadvantages of big money and big investments the way F1 has, i.e Bernie's crap.

One overtaking per race, if not less. Can you believe it??????

I rarely, rarely watch F1 races, and always fall asleep or zap the channels when I do. But didn't do that in 1984, when i was 9..

Kay

slider

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 29):
Now there are stories on ESPN.com that Danica Patrick may jump to NASCAR next season, as her current contract ends this season. This season with them not having the advantage of Honda engines (all have them now), chassies maker changes, improvements in competition, may be making her want to jump ship now. Of course, the endorsement/sponsorship $$$'s could be huge, especially if she could crack into the top 10 in points.

And unless Champ and IRL reconcile, do it NOW, AND ensure the money stream in securing the sport, growing it, promoting a single open-wheel platform, there will be more IRL folks jumping ship.

The pillars will shake.

Tom in NO

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 6):
There will also be a driver from IRL perhaps crossing over after next season, but I cannot divulge.

That secret's out of the bag, my good friend.....Danica will no doubt bring a bunch of fans with her wink  .

F1 News: Montoya Going To Nascar!

Maybe NASCAR can make a trade with F1.....and offer them Robby Gordon...

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

slider

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 32):
That secret's out of the bag, my good friend.....Danica will no doubt bring a bunch of fans with her

It's not Danica. Someone whose name has not been uttered with the word NASCAR whatsoever.

VonRichtofen

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 9):
Yeah, things like PASSING would be heretical in F1!!

Was that some kind of lame attempt to say that somehow NASCAR is superior to F1? Please....

Maybe if they were faster than F1 (which they're not) and actually made right turns (which they don't) and actually have prestigious events all over the world (which they don't) then maybe, just maybe you could compare NASCAR to F1.

Kris

P.S. Drivers with beer guts don't help either.

egmcman

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:27 am

RBR would more likely to use one of it's proteges such as Vitantonio Liuzzi than JPM.

I wish JPM well in his new drive.

slider

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 34):
Was that some kind of lame attempt to say that somehow NASCAR is superior to F1? Please....

Not at all. I hate NASCAR. Have never watched a single race.

But as much as I've historically loved F1, and open wheel racing as a rule, I've grown bored with it. I like watching Alonso, but having unlimited budgets and Schumacher rollit up on everyone year after year with Ferrari winning the Constructor's Cup just gets boring.

Let's face it, F1 lacks the drama a lot of the time. Good racing, no question. But I can understand the appeal of NASCAR in having passing, etc. It's apples to mangoes, you know?

Tom in NO

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 33):
Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 32):
That secret's out of the bag, my good friend.....Danica will no doubt bring a bunch of fans with her

It's not Danica. Someone whose name has not been uttered with the word NASCAR whatsoever.

I'd heard Danica's name mentioned this morning on one of the national shows. NASCAR's had a few of the female persuasion give it a show in the past.....Patty Moise and Shawna Robinson come to mind.....I seem to recall Janet Guthrie running a few races back in the day.

I also didn't think much of NASCAR until I saw my first race at Daytona.....talk about TV not doing justice to a sport compared to seeing it in person. NASCAR and ice hockey.....neither one overly exciting to watch on TV, however, in person, both are incredibly exciting.

Having not witnessed F1 in person, I can't compare the two.....I view it now the same way I did NASCAR before I saw my first race.

Tomat MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

bill142

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 25):
Raikkonen (hopefully fingers x) ?
Paffet ?
Hamilton ?

Another F1 driver?

There are still rumors floating around about the Direxiv/McLaren Project with Jean Alesi. Midland has been rumored to be up for sale, so it could get bought by McLaren. You could then see Hamilton and Paffet in the McLaren B team as neither of them have any F1 race experience, although when it comes to experience in F1 cars, Paffet is clearly ahead. This would be good for them and would allow McLaren to compare them side by side.

While very unlikley, I wouldn't be surprised to see Villenuve pop up should Raikkonen goto Ferrari. But you have to ask the question, Can Jacques deliver given the right equipment?

dl757md

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:52 pm

His only stock car experience is a made-for-TV test where he and Jeff Gordon swapped cars in 2003.

Could this mean Gordon is going to F1?  Wink
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

boeingfever777

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:08 pm

He drives Jeff Gordan's car once for some charity event and thinks he is a NASCAR guy.... Get real!!!!

Quoting Dl757md (Reply 39):
Could this mean Gordon is going to F1?

His Dupont and Hendrick contract prohibit that.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

ba757

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:59 pm

Quoting CptGermany (Reply 28):
Now McLaren 'only' has to present a reliable car. Whatever happened to the McLaren that built Mika Hakkinnen's car?

The same guy who designed Hakkinen's car is designing Red Bulls now... Newey was a big loss to Mclaren, even if he didn't play as much of a role as he used too, it took enough people with him to hurt Mclaren...

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 38):
There are still rumors floating around about the Direxiv/McLaren Project with Jean Alesi. Midland has been rumored to be up for sale, so it could get bought by McLaren. You could then see Hamilton and Paffet in the McLaren B team as neither of them have any F1 race experience, although when it comes to experience in F1 cars, Paffet is clearly ahead. This would be good for them and would allow McLaren to compare them side by side.

The Mclaren B team has been rumoured for a long time. I would be surprised if it didn't come to fruition, Midland would be a good candidate I suppose. I wonder if EJ would come back to run such a team? He has expressed interest in returning.

Adam

Kay

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Quoting CptGermany (Reply 28):
Whatever happened to the McLaren that built Mika Hakkinnen's car?

Mika Hakkinen had to struggle with engine failures for years before he finally was lucky enough that his engine didn't blow that much and he managed to to pinch two titles.

The Mercedes engine has been crap every since they rejoined F1 about 10 years ago.

Kay

cornish

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:15 pm

Well the breaking news according to BBC is that Montoya has now been released from his contract with immediate effect and that Pedro de la rosa will drive for the team at the French Grand Prix

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/5168206.stm
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

ba757

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 43):
Well the breaking news according to BBC is that Montoya has now been released from his contract with immediate effect and that Pedro de la rosa will drive for the team at the French Grand Prix

Thats good for Pedro.

I assume Mclaren are a bit pissed with JPM over the USGP still? It's a shame, JPM could have been so much in F1, when he joined Mclaren, it was the dream team, but it never really worked out.

Its a shame they can't try out Hamilton or Paffet as a race driver...maybe they will in coming races, perhaps the French GP would be too short a notice.

This could be interesting to watch...

Adam

[Edited 2006-07-11 12:54:34]

cornish

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:56 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 44):
I assume Mclaren are a bit pissed with JPM over the USGP still? It's a shame, JPM could have been so much in F1, when he joined Mclaren, it was the dream team, but it never really worked out.

Apparently they are annoyed he announced the NASCAR move to the world before telling MacLaren .

Its a shame they can't try out Hamiliton or Paffet as a race driver...maybe they will in coming races, perhaps the French GP would be too short a notice.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Paffett a try out later in the year, especially as they have no chance of winning either of the championships now.

I'd be surprised if they give Hamilton a run though - he's not familiar with the car unlike de la Rosa and Paffett and it would be intense pressure for him to come in at short notice without sufficient testing. They might figure it would do him more harm than good and is not really MacLaren's style to do that.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

ba757

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 45):
I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Paffett a try out later in the year, especially as they have no chance of winning either of the championships now.

I'd be surprised if they give Hamilton a run though - he's not familiar with the car unlike de la Rosa and Paffett and it would be intense pressure for him to come in at short notice without sufficient testing. They might figure it would do him more harm than good and is not really MacLaren's style to do that.

They would be crazy not to give Paffet a run, it is the perfect opportunity for the team and him. I am sure Paffet will be over joyed when he learns that JPM is out.

Does Hamilton qualify for an F1 super licence? I ain't 100% sure on how the super licence thing works, but I recall Raikkonen had 3 or 4 GPs to 'prove himself worthy' (Who would have thought it now eh?) when he came into F1.

Adam

[Edited 2006-07-11 13:04:13]

bill142

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:55 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 46):
Does Hamilton qualify for an F1 super licence? I ain't 100% sure on how the super licence thing works, but I recall Raikkonen had 3 or 4 GPs to 'prove himself worthy' (Who would have thought it now eh?) when he came into F1

It depends how many km's hes completed it testing. One has to complete 300Km in testing and be sponsored by a team. Hamilton should have no trouble in gaining one as his GP2 experience would be taken into consideration.

Kimi was lucky to get his. He essentially came to F1 straight from Forumla Renault with some 20 open wheel races to his credit. The FIA were hesitant to give him one untill Peter Sauber proposed that they give him a few races to prove himself.

Its a shame they can't try out Hamilton or Paffet as a race driver...maybe they will in coming races, perhaps the French GP would be too short a notice

They probably will give Paffet and Hamilton a go before year end, espcially if both drivers are in consideration for a race seat next year. There was a rule forbidding multiple driver changes during a season unless it was a case of force majure, but with Red Bull's driver rotation last year that seems to have been ignored or removed.

Quoting Kay (Reply 42):
Mika Hakkinen had to struggle with engine failures for years before he finally was lucky enough that his engine didn't blow that much and he managed to to pinch two titles

The reliability in 1998 was almost bulletproof from memory. In 1999 there was a bit of luck as Adrian Newey said the car was too advanced hence its poor reliability. One thing it didn't lack was pace. MS breaking his leg certainly helped MH win his second title. It has been rumored that Ferrari sabotaged Irvines chance at brining them the title as they wanted MS to be the one who brought them the title.

Apparently they are annoyed he announced the NASCAR move to the world before telling MacLaren

Apparently it breached his contract to do this, but clearly he wanted out and wanted to cause a stir as one last f you for being told he wasn't going to be welcome there after the last race.

Kay

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:33 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 47):
The reliability in 1998 was almost bulletproof from memory

But not in 1997, not in 1996, not in 1999 and certainly not in every year since. Mercedes is crap and if it wasn't a manufacturer with such size and wealth, causing many contractual arrangements with McLaren outside F1, they would have been dumped like Peugeot was dumped before them.

I can't get over Mercedes's lack of reliability.

Kay

legoguy

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Crikey im surprised Montoya is leaving so soon. Possibly over a row? Great news for De la Rosa, I always wanted to see him racing, and I guess great news for Paffett whom will no doubt get the full testing role now that De La Rosa is in a race seat position.

As BA757 said, it would be crazy not too, especially if they are out of contention for the championship. It would be a great chance for Paffett to prove himself!