Mir
Topic Author

Zidane, Zidane.....

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:52 am

Why?

There´s no shame in second place. In what you did there is nothing but. And in the last game of your career. Is that what you really wanted, to have the last thing millions of devoted fans see be you walking off the field in disgrace after a well-deserved red card, in the World Cup final? Did you really want to leave your team to take penalty kicks without you? You had it all, and could have had another world championship trophy on top of that - did you really want to throw it all away?

I hope not. I used to have so much respect for you. I´m still trying to. But I´m finding it so very difficult.

Why?  Sad

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Derico

RE: Zidane, Zidane.....

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:53 am

What he did was wrong, but anything but 1st place is shameful.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

Daleaholic

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting Mir (Thread starter):
Is that what you really wanted, to have the last thing millions of devoted fans see be you walking off the field in disgrace after a well-deserved red card, in the World Cup final?

I know, he should have flattened the referee and gone out with a bang!  Silly  duck 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Newark777

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:56 am

I have no respect for someone who does something like that. Sure, he was a great athlete, but that's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Pyrex

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:57 am

And why did you not get on the podium and received a medal like the rest of your team-mates? Isn't that your responsability as captain of the team?
You just come out as a bad loser.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

KROC

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 2):
I know, he should have flattened the referee and gone out with a bang!

Yeah, that sounds like Soccer right there.

bravo45

Here is what I said on the other thread, hope it helps:

Quoting Klaus (Reply 131):
I had been behind him and his team - up to that second. After that, Italy simply had to win.

I agree, then again simply stated, despite the great French team, the only team other than Brazil to be full of super stars has simply proved itself incapable of performing without ONE individual for the last THREE FREAKING World Cups!!! That is who Zidane is.
Despite what happened today, the French better give him a good farewell which he blew for himself and for his team in what I would call a very human moment. No one is perfect, he got carried away, but remember he is the one who won them their last world cup, this same team proved incapable of drawing a game against Senegal in the next world cup due to his injury and resulted in being thrown out of the tournament in the first round, a first for any defending champion and yet another 4 years later it was him and his game and leadership alone that brought them so close to winning this one, only to fail because he made one mistake.
Despite the fact that this incident will forever be remembered by those who have witnessed it, I think for now it tends to overshadows what Zidane is and what he has accomplished. The only example of which I have head of (non seen/don't remember) is Maradona and how led Argentina, the only difference, France had a bench full of super stars that just don't know how to perform together without the legendary leadership of Zidane.
Today was a tough day for him but it doesn't change his reputation for me one slight bit, yes it was a mistake but if anything it underlines his importance for this team.
Good luck to Zidane in retirement!!!!!!!

P.S I remember hearing, reading and myself believing that he is being a hero trying to come back from retirement despite such a strong French team, yet he proved himself yet again. The increasingly good performance of France in this world cup corresponds to the increasing good play by Zidane. So while it was horrible today, we have to take step back and take a look at the bigger picture. He is a human too and this mistake when looked at from a overall perspective, is overshadowed by what a great player he is.

Aither

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:58 am

Zidane is known for losing control when someone is pushing hard on him.

That's no excuse but we should also condamn in a similar way this kind of attitude from the players who have pushed him.

Ultimately, opponents should not be allowed to talk to each other during the game !
Never trust the obvious

PlymSpotter

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:59 am

Whilst what he did was unforgivable, he had to be provoked. It will be interesting to find out just what was said by the Italian player that made Zidane so angry that he would pull such a stupid stunt!
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Newark777

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 6):
No one is perfect, he got carried away

That wasn't getting carried away; that was a blatant attack on another player.

Harry

Rj111

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 6):
but remember he is the one who won them their last world cup,

Wasn't was suspended for 3 of those games because he stood on a Saudi.  Yeah sure

All in all though, an awful way to end it.  Sad

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:01 am

He could have become Football World Champion and he could have become the King of France tonight! They had built him a monument and every single fucking newspaper in the world had written him to the king of football, unfortunately he decided to act like a fool!

You could have trown every insult at me in this situation, I only had laughed at you! This action was definitely the beginning of the end for the French team.

Absolutely unecessary and uncalled for! I respect that guy because he is (was) a world-class footballer but what he did today made me speachless, really!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

RichardPrice

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):
And why did you not get on the podium and received a medal like the rest of your team-mates? Isn't that your responsability as captain of the team?

Under FIFA rules, he wasnt allowed to.

Personally, I think he wanted to make the entire game about HIM, that headbutt is going to be the most talked about thing of the entire world cup and it gets him into the history books as one of only 4 people sent off in a WC final.

So I think he wanted it to be about him, and that was the only way he could do it - he wasnt going to score, he didnt want to be one of X number of people scoring a penalty, he wanted the spotlight on him totally and utterly.

Mir
Topic Author

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 1):
anything but 1st place is shameful.

That´s bullshit. Heartbreaking, yes. Gut-wrenching, yes. Something you lose sleep over? Yes. But there´s nothing shameful in playing 120 minutes of even football against a very good team and losing on penalty kicks, which we know to be something of a toss-up.

When France went out in the first round in 2002, that was a disgrace. Had they played the final against Saudi Arabia and lost, that would be a disgrace. But that wasn´t the case.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

mhodgson

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:06 am

Well, within minutes the internet's finest are hard at work:

Damn hayfever!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 14):

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cannonball one is the best!  rotfl 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:09 am

but anything but 1st place is shameful.

Nothing in this tournament was so friggin shameful than beating up other players after loosing! 'nuff said!

Patrick

omoo

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:10 am

Poor Guy...he went out with a blaze.....sad but inexcuseable.
Fly Air Popobawa

aloges

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 14):

That's bloody GREAT!  rotfl 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

RichardPrice

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:11 am

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:14 am

I'll guarantee you that Materazzi said something racial or to do with Zidane's muslim heritage...Italy is quite the racist country.

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 20):
I'll guarantee you that Materazzi said something racial or to do with Zidane's muslim heritage...Italy is quite the racist country.

Could be but who the heck cares anymore? A pro footballer like Zizou should have laughed at him instead of getting overboard! That was not some stupid league game, it was the damned World Cup Final!!!

Patrick

aloges

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 21):
Could be but who the heck cares anymore?

Check this for the source of QF077's rumour.  Wink

Derico

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 22):

I didn't say it, it was reported on ESPN international.

And BTW, the two players where suspended 4 games. And remember it was 2 players that got involved and not the entire team. It is sad you keep portraying it was otherwise.

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:21 am

Could be but who the heck cares anymore? A pro footballer like Zizou should have laughed at him instead of getting overboard!

so..if i'm right this world cup and it's motto "Say No To Racism" has been a pointless exersize. I tell you what, if i was a sportsperson who was racially taunted i'd do the exact same. FIFA went out of there way to promote the "No Racism" message, seems it's fallen on deaf ears when it comes to Italy.

WellHung

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:22 am

Maybe if fun stuff like this happened more often, soccer would be more popular.  Wink

aloges

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 23):
It is sad you keep portraying it was otherwise.

I'm portraying what otherwise?

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:24 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 22):
Check this for the source of QF077's rumour.

i haven't read that thread...i was listening to Martin Tyler's comments, clearly Materazzi is givnig some lip in the footage after he was holding Zidane by the shirt. I don't doubt for a minute that it was something racial or hurtful.

Aleksandar

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):
And why did you not get on the podium and received a medal like the rest of your team-mates?

I'm not sure about the rules, but a commentator here said that Zidane can't go on the podium and that he will receive the medal later on.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 11):
They had built him a monument and every single fucking newspaper in the world had written him to the king of football, unfortunately he decided to act like a fool!

Exactly.

I really like Zidane and I have no idea why he did it. A part of me feels for the guy, but the other part really condemns his stupid act.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

bravo45

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 20):

Could be but who the heck cares anymore? A pro footballer like Zizou should have laughed at him instead of getting overboard! That was not some stupid league game, it was the damned World Cup Final!!!

I too am sure something so outrageous was said that made him loose his temper, he had been cool throughout the game, remember that penalty. Yes there is no excuse for what he did, yet I can understand the Italian must have stepped on a never there.
I am desperate to find out the details of the incident. Hope it doesn't take too long for them to surface.

flight85

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:27 am

lol Zidane what a muppet.

Derico

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 26):
I'm portraying what otherwise?

Yeah, so you also want to portray a whole country, I know. I noticed don't worry! Let's remember what happens when an Argentine team goes to Brazil and whacks a team 3-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFzV5iL8NU&search=river-corinthians

whhuuuuiii.....!!!!!

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 24):
so..if i'm right this world cup and it's motto "Say No To Racism" has been a pointless exersize.

I played football (in low leagues) for 12+ years, and I can assure you that there is always a bit "sarcastically racism" between the players. We have a lot of Turks and Italians here in Germany and of course did we exchange insults like: "Stupid Turk", "Stupid German", "Stupid Italian" around when we played against each other. That is actually only an attack on your opponent and not on his country of origin.

I bet Zizou heard that at least 1.000.000 times on the field in his life, everyone who plays football hears it countless times!

He simply had to deal with it in another way, especially in a World Cup Final!

Patrick

Derico

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:29 am

Aloges, my comment was originally for Sabena, not you.

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting Flight85 (Reply 30):
lol Zidane what a muppet.

FIFA is the muppet because it's gone out of it's way to promote a certain cause "no racism" yet something racially disturbing would likely have happend for this incident to take place.

If your going to promote that cause then make sure the message is drummed into the players heads....No excuse for racial taunts on the field.

Newark777

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 34):
No excuse for racial taunts on the field.

No matter what was said on the field, it is no excuse for what he did, or any other physical attack. Period.

Harry

aloges

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 31):
Yeah, so you also want to portray a whole country, I know.

Care to elaborate what the hell you're talking about?

Quoting Derico (Reply 33):
Aloges, my comment was originally for Sabena, not you.

Err... OK. So who was reply 31 directed at?

RichardPrice

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:36 am

Until its revealed what was said, theres no way anyone in here can say whether or not the FIFA 'racism' thing is defunct or not.

Its ludicrous to try and base an arguement on something said by someone that heard something from some person that maybe got it via pillow talk with the coaches daughter!

At this moment, we know words were exchanged and Zidane blew up - thats his bad, he should know how to control his temper.

I for one hope criminal assault charges are brought against him.

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 37):
I for one hope criminal assault charges are brought against him.

Will not happen, for a pro footballer is it "occupational risk" when you get injured on the field, no matter if it was caused while playing or while getting attacked by another player.

Patrick

Aleksandar

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 32):
I played football (in low leagues) for 12+ years

Woow, you must be really  old   old   old 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 39):
Woow, you must be really  old   old   old 

I started playing when I was 6 years old, but yes, I am getting old, 30 years next year  cry .  Wink

Patrick

Newark777

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 38):

Will not happen, for a pro footballer is it "occupational risk" when you get injured on the field, no matter if it was caused while playing or while getting attacked by another player.

Where do you draw the line then? If Zidane had started beating him and caused serious injury, would that still apply? I think at one point it becomes criminal.

Harry

skyman

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:44 am

All of this racist talk is no excuse for Zidane. I mean he could have should them who is right on the field, but not in that kind of way. But it wasn`t the first time. Remember the CL game Juventus vs. HSV? He did the same to Kientz. He seems to loose control sometimes when it gets really hot.

RichardPrice

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 38):

Uh no, 'occupational risk' does not include assault.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...94290&in_page_id=1779&in_a_source=

Quote:

Lee Bowyer admitted in a police interview that his attack on teammate Kieron Dyer during a Newcastle match was a moment of madness. It is one that his fellow footballers could end up ruing for years.

Yesterday will go down in history as the moment football changed, when accountability followed stupidity and the law courts moved above the referee as the judge of a player's actions.

"The criminal law doesn't cease to operate once you cross the touchline of a sports field," she warned.

"Neither does being disciplined by an employer or a sport governing body make an athlete immune to the law. Most importantly, the plea shows that Mr Bowyer accepts his behaviour on the pitch that day was a criminal offence."

Quite damn right as well, why the hell should I accept a punch thrown during a football match as an 'occupational hazard', while barmen dont have to accept that during a pub brawl?

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 41):
If Zidane had started beating him and caused serious injury, would that still apply? I think at one point it becomes criminal.

I don't know exactly, but I have never heard that one pro football player sues another pro footballer. It is very, very unlikely that this will have consequences for Zizou, especially not after Italy won. The Italians will probably laugh their ass off right now because he got sent off the field.

Patrick

Aleksandar

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 40):
I am getting old, 30 years next year

Still younger than me. I'll be 33 in September  cry 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

martinairyyz

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 41):
Where do you draw the line then? If Zidane had started beating him and caused serious injury, would that still apply? I think at one point it becomes criminal.

Harry

Killing a guy and causing serious injury is, but a headbutt, really does occur in football.

Also, I'd think that Materazzi said something very harsh to provoke Zidane, but I still have the fullest respects for Zinedine even after the headbutt, as he is a great footballer and his real type of character was not shown in that dismissal.

Not happy that the theatric cheats won, but not everything is fair.
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

ZRH

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:58 am

anything but 1st place is shameful

Nonsense, bullshit, rubbish. This is one of the most stupid posts I ever read. If this is really your opinion I only can pity you.

Sabena332

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 47):
If this is really your opinion I only can pity you.

I pitty this dude since weeks already, just look at his other posts/threads regarding the World Cup, it's a great laughfest when you read them!

Patrick

Newark777

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting MartinairYYZ (Reply 46):
but a headbutt, really does occur in football.

If that's the kind of behavior that "really does occur" in soccer, that is messed up.

but I still have the fullest respects for Zinedine even after the headbutt, as he is a great footballer

Respecting someone due to their athletic prowess is ridiculous.

his real type of character was not shown in that dismissal.

If he had as much character as you are making him out to have, he wouldn't have done what he did. You act as if you know the guy.  Yeah sure

but not everything is fair.

And no one else in soccer takes dives.  Yeah sure

It's as much a part of that game as scoring goals, and goes on a lot more than scoring.

Harry