fspilot747

Worst (Physical) Pain You've Ever Had?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 pm

Just seemed like an interesting thing to know. What was the most physical pain you've ever been in?

For me: After undergoing an operation, I was put on some prescription pain killers which contain narcotics. The narcotics, well....they keep you from having bowel movements. The constipation got the better of me at 2AM about 5 days after the operation (I hadn't had a real bowel movement 4 or 5 days and for some reason I didn't notice it), and I was in the most excruciating pain of my life. I ended up vomiting from the pain alone and almost passed out. The best way I can describe the feeling is a pack of rabid dogs eating away at your stomach, and it wasn't until my mom realized what was wrong and gave me some milk of magnesia that I could finally get my GI Tract clear. Luckily she remembered that the nurse at the clinic said the painkillers could cause constipation. It was probably a great site to see. An atheist on a toilet grasping his ankles crying out to any number of potential dieties asking for some mercy (well...I was probably getting to that point, anyway ) In the end, good old "mum" saved the day, or else it probably would have gone on until the morning till I could call the clinic. Thinking back, I probably would have killed myself before then.

[Edited 2006-07-11 07:51:25]

EZEIZA

RE: Worst (Physical) Pain You've Ever Had?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:59 pm

when I broke my collar bone (that's what "clavicula" is in English, right?) playing football a few years ago. Boy that hurt! The bone just snapped in two ... it hurts just thinking about it  Sad
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

ORDTerminal1

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:06 pm

I was boogie boarding in Virginia Beach and I got on a wave too early. Consequently the board and myself fell over the top of the wave. The board went straight down into the sand and and it speared my stomach. That hurt.
717, 727, 732,733, 734, 735, 738, 742, 744, 752, 763, 319, 320, 340, F100

GQfluffy

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:31 pm

Lets see...I had a puck (hockey) destroy the upper half of my knee cap...but I don't really remember any pain from that. Shock is a wonderful thing...but the arthritis already sunk in at 22 sucks. The most pain I've ever been in...probably the time I went through the glass with another player. We both had concussions,  fight  and when he tried to get up we found his skate was stuck in my forearm....Ow...  ouch 
This isn't where I parked my car...

ThereandBack

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:47 pm

I ran through a sliding glass door.
That hurt.
I have 700+ stitches all over my body.
But after I was in the ambulance I lost consciousness so i couldn't feel it anymore.

concord977

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:01 pm

Recurrent Kidney Stones. I've had six such attacks in the last 10 years. I have passed out from the pain three times. The pain is in your lower back, and feels as if there is a small man in there trying to carve his way out with a knife.
No info

deltagator

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:04 pm

A few different things for me...

1) A groin muscle pull...can't walk, can't sit, can't use the head
2) 12Lb. shotput to the back of the head and the subsequent concussion (explains a lot about me)
3) Missing a dive from a 12 foot diving board and landing on my back.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ThereandBack

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting Concord977 (Reply 5):
Recurrent Kidney Stones. I've had six such attacks in the last 10 years. I have passed out from the pain three times. The pain is in your lower back, and feels as if there is a small man in there trying to carve his way out with a knife.

Why have you had that many kidney stone attacks in 10 years?
People in my family have had it and I know that the pain is bad.
They get it because they don't drink enough water you're supposed to drink 2 liters a day do you do that?

searpqx

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:19 pm

Pure potassium being injected directly into my arm. I was in the hospital on an IV, and the nurse forgot to mix the bag. I woke up thinking that my arm was on fire. I can only describe it as someone lighting the blood in my veins, and feeling the burning move up my arm as the blood flowed. I ripped the IV out before the nurse could get there, and immediately the pain started to subside.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

oli80

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting ThereAndBack (Reply 4):
I ran through a sliding glass door

My cousin did this on holiday in Spain in '99.

We came home about 2 minutes after it happened and the whole apartment was covered in blood as he had been running around in panic. My aunt nearly passed out when she saw the state of him. Blood pouring out of every part of his body, including his face. He looked a mess! We rushed him to hospital where they started to stitch him up. I still remember the screams as each stitch went it (around 75-100 IIRC).

For myself, the worst pain I've been in by far was when I had my arm ripped out of its socket. I was playing rugby and got caught in a bad tackle which resulted in my arm being 'pulled out'. It ripped all the tendons that hold your arm in place, so I physically had to hold it in its socket. I can't really describe the pain, it was just too much. I was out of action for the best part of 8 months and needed over 6 months of physiotherapy. It still hurts now and again, and it happened in '97!

The second most pain I've been in was having a sex check done in my final year of university. I'd had a rather entertaining first 2 years and thought it was probably best to have a check up. Well, boy do I regret that!!

The worst test by far is the Clamydia test. The nurse grabbed my penis with one hand and a large cotton bud with the other, proceeded to tell me this may hurt, and then stuck the bud down my tube. My god, the pain was unbarable!!!

Once it was over, I thought it was 'all over'. But no, she then asked for a urine sample, which I proceeded to give, but as soon as I started to urinate, all that pain came rushing back!! Excrutiatingly painful! As this was going on, I heard a very loud scream coming from the booth next door...  Wink

oly720man

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:59 pm

Duodenal Ulcer. That was very painful. Very sharp and very localised. With the medicine prescribed by the doctor it stopped as suddenly as a light being turned off. A strange sensation.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

trekster

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 9):
For myself, the worst pain I've been in by far was when I had my arm ripped out of its socket. I was playing rugby and got caught in a bad tackle which resulted in my arm being 'pulled out'. It ripped all the tendons that hold your arm in place, so I physically had to hold it in its socket. I can't really describe the pain, it was just too much. I was out of action for the best part of 8 months and needed over 6 months of physiotherapy. It still hurts now and again, and it happened in '97!

Ok, i actually got dizzy and a little sick reading this one lol

Worst pain for me is either my ear problem which casued me to go deaf for a week, get so painfull even after seeing a doc who said it was nothing bad, that my mum had to take me to A&E to be told it was bad, and if left could of caused so BIG problems.

Then there is the appendix, and my tooth. Thats the latest thing. Got woken at 3am on Friday with a VERY sore tooth and headache that would not shift. Was so bad i was dizzy and could not walk straight. Gone now, just need to see a dentist, but this is the uk so will see one in about 5 months
Where does the time go???

ABfemme

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:14 pm

Fell over on the patio in the rain and banged the side of my chest on a metal chair- Two Fractured ribs - Very painful.

Dentist filled a root canal in a moler and I developed sering pain in the tooth, caming in waves making me cry out - turns out the filling was pushing on a nerve left intact deep inside the tooth.
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

trekster

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:20 pm

Quoting ABfemme (Reply 12):
Dentist filled a root canal in a moler and I developed sering pain in the tooth, coming in waves making me cry out - turns out the filling was pushing on a nerve left intact deep inside the tooth.

YAY

Just booked my emergency appointment to see the Tooth doc. I'm not scared of alot, spiders, snakes, there fine, BUT dentists I am afraid of. SO not going to sleep tonight
Where does the time go???

ZakHH

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:20 pm

Hmm... worst pain must have been when a dentist accidentally drilled on a nerve (without any anesthetization). I was so stunned, I could not even move or scream, just started to twitch a bit. I still remember the dentist telling me to relax, and then saying "Hmm... what is that thing here, actually?"

My whole head felt like a single piece of pure pain. But it's like they say - feels so good when the pain is fading...  Yeah sure
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

ABfemme

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:27 pm

Hey Trekster - This rarely happens and it was a good ten yrs ago. New techniques now - you'll be fine !

Claire  goodvibes 
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

Gemuser

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:27 pm

Burst appendix and resulting infection! And then 10 days NIL by mouth, includes you own spit!

That first sip of water on day 11 rates right up there as a most blissful experience!

BTW about 20 years later I had kidney stones, very painful, but not in the same league. While being diagnosed for the stones this ditizy nurse asked me to rate the intensity of the pain on a scale of 1(painfree) to 10(childbirth)! I blame the pain for calling her an idot and telling her I wouldn't know as I had a dick, not a pussy!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

don81603

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:21 pm

Falling from a moving car at 30 MPH (50 KM/H). Either that or getting a pellet from a 12 guage shotgun in the leg. Both were experiences I'd choose not to go through again...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

jafa39

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:21 pm

Dropped a boat on my foot and broke a toe, the pain made me sweat and feel dizzy but for sustained pain....try toothache, had a dodgy root once and it was a bank holiday, when I started to bang my head on the wall Mrs J decided to track down an emergency dentist.......oh the relief!!!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ZakHH

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:26 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 17):
Falling from a moving car at 30 MPH (50 KM/H). Either that or getting a pellet from a 12 guage shotgun in the leg.

You appeared in "Jackass"?  Wink
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

EWRCabincrew

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:39 pm

Cluster Headaches. Think: Beyond migraine. Been having them since I was a teenager. They SUCK!!!

www.clusterheadaches.com

[Edited 2006-07-11 13:40:05]
You can't cure stupid

don81603

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:41 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 19):
You appeared in "Jackass"?

No, but some of my youthful adventures make me believe I was the insperation for the show.

At 13 or 14, a few friends and I found an OLD baby carriage (the kind with big tires, and "spring suspension". Well, we decided it's be fun to climb in and ride it down a hill. Was a heck of a lot of fun until I hit a small rock. Carriage stopped on a dime, but I needed about $2. Picture Superman doing a "gear up" landing, and you'll get the picture.
 ouch 
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

jap

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:45 pm

A salmonella infection. I was in a hospital bed for 7 days, with stomach cramps that even morphine couldn't take. The doctors thought it was my appendix and did an emergency surgery... their comment? "well, it wasn't your appendix, but you have a severe infection in your body- if your fever rises to over 41 degrees celsius (105.8 fahrenheit), we'll do another op and find the infection"  grumpy 

Welll, at about 41 degrees celsius, I'd be friggin dead  rotfl 

Well, I got some antibiotics, and after 3 days I was ok again. But damn, that hurt  crazy 
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

legoguy

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:47 pm

Crikey, some of you guys sound like you should be dead by now with all the pain!! I thought I was bad getting a fish hook in my finger but reading some of the stuff here....OUCH!

As for dentists...I have to admit im not scared of them, probably because I havn't had any fillings yet. Just a few teeth out as a child for braces.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

kmh1956

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Recurrent Kidney Stones. I've had six such attacks in the last 10 years. I have passed out from the pain three times. The pain is in your lower back, and feels as if there is a small man in there trying to carve his way out with a knife

Apparently, that's as close as a man will ever get to the experience of childbirth. Any of you who have experienced kidney stones will surely now have a greater understanding of what we go through while giving birth to your children.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

bill142

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:11 pm

A couple of months back I had Food Poisoning or Gastro Interitis, Vomiting was painful, the diorreah was painful. My whole skeleton was in pain at one point. It was the most uncomfortable experience I've ever had.

I also once, by mistake, took too many paracetamol and codine tablets. The stomoch pains were excruciating. These days I usually ask how many hours I've been asleep for instead of assuming it was 25 hours.

Queso

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:18 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 24):
Apparently, that's as close as a man will ever get to the experience of childbirth. Any of you who have experienced kidney stones will surely now have a greater understanding of what we go through while giving birth to your children.

checkmark  Took me a while to find a doctor that got me on the right medicine and diet, but now I don't have to worry much about them. Been through about 15 of them that caused me grief, about 4 of them major and 1 required hospitilization for a couple of days, ended up being a little over 1/4". Mine are uric acid stones (I have gout which is also quite painful if uncontrolled), so they're rough and irregular in shape and grind quite a bit as they're on their way down.

Definitely a character-building experience.

ManuCH
Crew

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 20):
Cluster Headaches. Think: Beyond migraine. Been having them since I was a teenager. They SUCK!!!

Wow, I've looked those up, and it sounds like something really tough. Do you have them often? Are they controllable with medication?

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

bhmbaglock

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:39 pm

I thought I had found the ultimate level for pain when I fell off a ladder and landed on the edge of a concrete slab shattering my heel. Then a week later I woke up from surgery to install a plate and 8 screws and realized that it could be much, much worse. The morphine cut the pain just enough to keep me from actually trying to kill myself.

To make it worse, there were two 65-70 year old women in the rooms next to mine who had hip replacements the same morning. They were up and walking the next morning and I really, really wanted to kill them. Not nice I know, but pain tends to make you mean.
Where are all of my respected members going?

ORFflyer

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:00 pm

Diverticulitis - Without question, the most painful experience ever for me.

Sabena332

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:08 pm

I had the worst pain ever when I got bitten by a spider. Me and a friend were at Lake Tahoe, we slept in the house of his cousin and opened all windows in our room before we went to bed, that was probably a mistake. At around 7am I woke up with horrible pain in my thigh, at first I thought that someone is stub out a cigarette on my leg but then I realized that some insect has bitten me, the pain got worse from second to second. Meanwhile my friend woke up as well, I told him what happened and a minute or so later he saw the huge spider, both of us took simultaneously an empty beer can and trew it on the spider.

The pain lasted for approx. 24 hours, that was some experience I wish nobody.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

legoguy

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 30):

Did you go to hospital or anything? It wasn't a venomous spider was it?

NoUFO

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:32 pm

Quoting Jap (Reply 22):
Welll, at about 41 degrees celsius, I'd be friggin dead

Uhm, no won't die from that. I had fever well above 40 degrees Celsius. It's dangerous, but you won't necessarily die.

I once, on a Saturday night, had an inflammation of the root channels of two teeth plus a part of my lower jaw-bone. All at once, and I can tell you: that hurts. I was never more happy to live in a big city with good medical services.
I support the right to arm bears

Sabena332

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:33 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 31):
Did you go to hospital or anything?

No, I wanted to go to hospital but my friend's cousin said that he got already bitten countless of times, he gave me some salve, a can of Coors and told me that the pain will be gone after a day. Big grin

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 31):
It wasn't a venomous spider was it?

Not really, these spiders have some poison which irritates your muscles, unfortunately I got bitten in my thigh where a lot of muscles are, it had not been so worse when it had bitten me in my hand for example.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

legoguy

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 33):

Ouch! No doubt the can of Coors helped! Or maybe several cans helped! Big grin

Sabena332

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 34):
Or maybe several cans helped!

It got better in the afternoon after I finished the 4th ot 5th can. Big grin

Patrick

oli80

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 33):
a can of Coors

So it did get worse!  Wink

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:29 am

Worst pain ive ever had? Easy. First year of uni - my Mrs thought i was cheating on her. Her mate (absolute spitting image of Davina McCall) came running up to me in Candy Store in Plymouth during Lisa Pin Up's set. I was looking the other way. Didnt see her stop, then take a run up Jonny Wilkinson style and convert a kick into my unprotected gonads.

The impact knocks the wind out of you. I reeled back, then the pain hit. I went down like the proverbial sack of s*it, and immediately began throwing up, doubled up on the floor. Few seconds later three doormen arive. Two try to pick me up, but the third had seen what happened and stopped them. Imagine someone crushing your balls in a vice. The sickening, plunging pain that shivers all the way up your spine, and lights a fire in your intestines. Awful. Eventually I was taken out on a stretcher - someone called the ambulance after i pulled my hands from out of my groin and people saw the blood on my hands.

Two days in hospital - one ruptured urinary tract, severe bruising to both balls, massive swelling that didnt subside for a week, and inability to walk straight for at least that long. Felt like peeing razor blades for a week or so. Antibiotics. Couldnt have sex for a month.

And i DIDNT cheat on her.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

IFEMaster

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:34 am

Triple break in my right ankle when I was 14. Swelled to 3 times it's size and hurt like a mofo; then it got set incorrectly and I to have it rebroken.

Even to this day, it hurts when it's cold and damp.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 37):
Didnt see her stop, then take a run up Jonny Wilkinson style and convert a kick into my unprotected gonads.

Did you sue her?  Smile

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

NIKV69

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:44 am

Actually when I was 14 I had Spinal Menigitis. The bad kind too (Bacterial) I was so bad I couldn't walk when my mom finally took me to the emergency room. They did a spinal tap and even being out of it I still felt that thing go into my back, for a moment it felt like someone stuck a telephone pole in my back and was moving it around. Not fun.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

9V-SPF

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:44 am

The worst pain I ever suffered from was when some jackass quack doctor decided to carry out a surgery on my horribly ingrown toenail without any anesthesia. I almost went straight through the roof when he took out the nail and all the cankerous tissue. I later asked him why he didn´t use any anesthetic and he answered: "Well, you didn´t ask for it so I chose the cheaper variant". Needless to say that I never went there again.

JAGflyer

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:48 am

I've been hit in the balls 6 times that I can count. I think that was the worst pain I can remember having. Either that or touching a barbeque with my bare arm when I was like 4. I still have the scar on my right arm.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

legoguy

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:54 am

What did you girlfriend say and most important what did her friend who kicked you say afterwards!?!?!?! Are you still going out with your girl friend?

oli80

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:58 am

Damn, I hope you spread some nasty rumours about her, or at least got your own back somehow!  Wink

Evan767

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:04 am

I had to get 3 teeth pulled when I was about 12. Apparently the doctor did numb me but I guess it didn't work. My teeth were still in there pretty good. The doctor couldn't see it because I had some sunglass type things on, but I was nearly crying because of the pain. 2 teeth hurt the worst the 3rd one was easy because it was about to fall out anyway.

When I was about 10 I had to have eye surgery. It was outpatient but still hurt like hell. My eyes were so bloodshot that day I looked like a zombie. Hot towels similar to what the airlines have is what kept me from major headaches and excruciating pain.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

chrisjake

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:15 am

i've had major shoulder surgery, wisdom teeth pulled, and hundreds of stitches, but the most physical pain i've felt is when i'm woken up in the middle of the night with one of those INTENSE calf cramps!

HOLY SHIT do those hurt!!!! ....and there's no doctor around to administer any pain medicine. excruciating pain, fall out of bed grabbing calf, try to tighten muscle to relieve pain, use knuckles to try to rub the cramp out.. all at 4am.

then...limp around the rest of the day hoping it doesnt happen again.

chris

EWS

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:31 am

Being stabbed twice in the stomach.. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, its one of the most unbearable pains I have ever experienced.

Most of you know what happened so I'm not going to continue as it's fairly upsetting for me still.

Lew  grumpy 

kmh1956

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 47):
Being stabbed twice in the stomach.. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, its one of the most unbearable pains I have ever experienced.

Most of you know what happened so I'm not going to continue as it's fairly upsetting for me still.

We're just glad you're still with us to choose not to talk about it!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

EWS

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 48):
We're just glad you're still with us to choose not to talk about it!

Today is really bad, im feeling worse then i ever have done before, i fell over last night due to my knee giving way and landed straight on my stomach, winded myself and these pain killers not even touching it, ive had nearly 4g of the stuff in the past 2 hours.. and doesnt even effect it one bit.

Lew  grumpy