UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Let's All Change Our Flags To Lebanon

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:07 pm

Like we did for Denmark during the cartoon saga, let's temporarily change our flags to Lebanon to show our support.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

deltagator

RE: Let's All Change Our Flags To Lebanon

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:18 pm

Why? Because of their support for Hezbollah and the kidnapping of the Israeli soldiers which is the reason why Israel bombed the airport in the first place? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me but to each their own.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

DIJKKIJK

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:18 pm

I've changed my flag!

Go Israel. Down with Islamic Terrorism!

[Edited 2006-07-13 10:19:37]
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

707CMF

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:19 pm

One of my coworkers is Lebanese. Although we (very) often tease him about Lebanon situation ("so, you are from Syria ?" and such...), this morning, we were not in a mood to joke about that.

I concur to your move.

Cheers/choukran

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:24 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 1):
Because of their support for Hezbollah and the kidnapping of the Israeli soldiers which is the reason why Israel bombed the airport in the first place?

So you're saying it's OK to bomb a civilian target in response to a military action ?

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

deltagator

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:34 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 4):
So you're saying it's OK to bomb a civilian target in response to a military action ?

If the airport was being used to funnel arms to Hamas as Israel has suggested then yes it is ripe for a good bombing. If Israel is wrong then I would expect them to get their butts out there and patch those runways ASAP.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

soyuzavia

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:38 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 5):
If Israel is wrong then I would expect them to get their butts out there and patch those runways ASAP.

But Israel is NEVER wrong. We all know that! Ask rjpieces, he'll tell you all about it.

N1120A

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:40 pm

If Israel is wrong then I would expect them to get their butts out there and patch those runways ASAP.

And he 30 or so lives lost? You going to patch those too? Or how about the 14 planes they blew up in an act of terrorism? Gonna replace those all these years later?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

TriStar500

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:41 pm

The situation is too complex for some childish flag-changing action on some internet forum.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

N1120A

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:42 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 8):
The situation is too complex for some childish flag-changing action on some internet forum.

I agree, but that didn't stop people with the Denmark thing

OD720

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:42 pm

If the airport was being used to funnel arms to Hamas as Israel has suggested then yes it is ripe for a good bombing.

The airport is under the direct control of teh government which is quite pro-US.

Just last week, it was revealed that Lebanese intelligence, with the help of FBI, arrested an al-Qaida operative who was planning to bomb the Hollan Tunnel in NYC.

It's not the first time that they have caused damage and it won't be the last. We the tax payers have always been responsible.

Peace to all.

L410Turbolet

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
let's temporarily change our flags to Lebanon to show our support.

of Hizbollah? No thank you.

deltagator

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:47 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
And he 30 or so lives lost? You going to patch those too?

People die in war. It happens unfortunately. Israel believes that Southern Lebanon is supporting Hezbollah and Hamas and they acted upon it. What about the shelling coming across the border from Lebanon?...is Israel just supposed to ignore that? Come on now, I expect a better argument out of you.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
Or how about the 14 planes they blew up in an act of terrorism?

Again, Israel feels they are being used to funnel weapons to Hamas and Hezbollah so they think it is justified.

Sadly, it is just another day in the life of the Middle East. Where's Rodney King when we need him...Can't we all just get along?

soyuzavia

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:56 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):

Of course. If it was Lebanon bombing TLV in retaliation for the attacks on BEY, you can be sure the same "Denmark flag" crowd would be changing to the Israeli flag in a flash. It has nothing to do with supporting right and wrong  Yeah sure

manni

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:11 pm

Like we did for Denmark during the cartoon saga, let's temporarily change our flags to Lebanon to show our support.

I'm with you, but rather write it in my signature then changing flags. Changing flags is a bit confusing to recognize members and their real location, often usefull in the civil aviation forum.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

macc

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:23 pm

they not only bomb the airport, they now block the whole country.
for two soldiers?

hm...

will add lots of sympathies for Israel in the region...

"der krug geht so lange zum brunnen, bis er bricht..."

shalom... (how appropriate)

changing flags? not me. I am on the side of people, not governments. And there is no flag for them so far....

[Edited 2006-07-13 11:25:45]
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

AirSpare

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:25 pm

Ok, what flag do I use? I have friends in Israel that will be aghast at this, I'm from the States, I live in Brasil, but for now I'm a resident of Egypt.

How about a PEACE FLAG!

American and proud, I won't pull down my flag-sorry.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

QANTAS077

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:30 pm

Quoting Macc (Reply 15):
for two soldiers?

what do you expect from a people that are taught to believe they are better, stronger and superior to any other on earth...You just have to look at the lengths they went to when they kidnapped one of there own for exposing the truth about Dimona nuclear plant.

N1120A

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 12):
People die in war. It happens unfortunately. Israel believes that Southern Lebanon is supporting Hezbollah and Hamas and they acted upon it. What about the shelling coming across the border from Lebanon?...is Israel just supposed to ignore that?

Hezbollah is a political party in Lebanon, with democratically elected representatives to the Lebanese parliament. Further, while I don't condone recent actions by terrorist groups linked to Hezbollah, they have been against military, not civilian targets.

Oh, and quit with this "people die in war" crap. Israel has such advanced weaponry, they can pick and choose where they want to shoot.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 12):
Again, Israel feels they are being used to funnel weapons to Hamas and Hezbollah so they think it is justified.

You missed this one. This attack happened quite some time ago. Again, Hezbollah is a political party in Lebanon as well, so you should differentiate

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 17):
You just have to look at the lengths they went to when they kidnapped one of there own for exposing the truth about Dimona nuclear plant.

Not to mention how long they kept him in jail

KROC

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:45 pm

Way to do something positive.  Yeah sure

asbg

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:57 pm

Because of their support for Hezbollah and the kidnapping of the Israeli soldiers which is the reason why Israel bombed the airport in the first place?

UTA

So you're saying it's ok that Hezbollah shoots mortars on Israeli towns? This morning a woman was killed from the attack and others injured.

cedars747

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:58 pm

It's not fair to punish all Lebanese and foreigners in Lebanon because Hezbollah killed and kidnapped SOLDIERS!
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

Doona

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:01 pm

As if, dude. What Israel is going to do is treat Lebanon like of the the Palestinian Territiories for a while, then leave to let the Lebanese pick up the pieces. Thing is, Israel will never get the two soldiers back, even if the Hezbollah hasn't killed them yet.

By attacking Lebanon, Israel has done more to promote Hezbollah's cause than anything Hezbollah could ever have done. All they have to do now is stand up and fight the Israelis and public support will only increase.

And now it's written in stone, all terrorists need to do is kidnap two people to accomplish more than a hundred bombs would...

And in the middle of every thing is poor Lebanon, in the midst of rebuilding itself from decades of civil war that tore the nation apart. And they were doing a pretty good job, until the Israeli attack. Sure, they're not taking care of the Hezbollah problem, but there's a reason. They don't have the means, or the ability, since Hezbollah's political wing is in the parliament. So, of course, a full-scale military attack is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Why do we "civilized" westerners wonder if our own McCivilization will ever reach some parts of the world, when we just sit idly by and let these things happen?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

asbg

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 21):
It's not fair to punish all Lebanese and foreigners in Lebanon because Hezbollah killed and kidnapped SOLDIERS!
Alex!!!

It's not fair to punish the Israelis during their summer vacation and especially when there is a sudden boost in tourism. Why dont you shake you government so they dimantle Hezbollah. I really believe both Israel and Lebanon will gain from that.

cedars747

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Quoting Asbg (Reply 23):
It's not fair to punish the Israelis during their summer vacation

Nobody did ! Hezbollah targeted SOLDIERS not civilians
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

Doona

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Quoting Asbg (Reply 23):
I really believe both Israel and Lebanon will gain from that.

Indeed they will, but it's difficult to focus on dismantling a domestic military force, when your country is being attacked from the outside, isn't it? I'm sure if Israel stops what they're currently doing, the Lebanese will try to do something about Hezbollah.

[Edited 2006-07-13 13:08:56]
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

asbg

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 24):
Nobody did ! Hezbollah targeted SOLDIERS not civilians

Why are they bombarding towns??!! Civilians are sitting in shelter, a woman was killed and others injured!

cedars747

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:18 pm

Israel want to destroy Lebanese economy.It was goeing to be a wonderful summer season,that why the airport was the main target.They are punishing the Lebanese economy and not Hezbollah !why should civilians have to pay for military actions ?
Alex!!!

[Edited 2006-07-13 13:47:45]

halls120

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Why? Because of their support for Hezbollah and the kidnapping of the Israeli soldiers which is the reason why Israel bombed the airport in the first place? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me but to each their own.

Couldn't agree more.

If the government of Lebanon isn't going to attempt to control Hezbollah, then the government of Lebanon has to expect attacks like this.

Quoting Macc (Reply 15):
for two soldiers?

Good for Israel that they are making a point for just "two soldiers."

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 21):
Alex!!!

When the government of Lebanon does nothing to stop terrorists operating in their country, it's more than fair.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:00 pm

let's temporarily change our flags to Lebanon

thanks for the suggestion !

dl021

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:18 pm

No..let's not. There are real differences here. The Danish cartoonists were exercising their freedoms and expressing opinion that did not cause anyone's deaths. The cause of death and destruction was religious fundamentalism that refuses to allow freedom of expression and condones violence as a first solution to challenges it perceives.

The Lebanese people tolerate...nay, endorse the presence of Hizballah, an Iranian funded terrorist group cum political party (similar to Sinn Fein, except that Sinn Fein publicly signed a peace treaty and surrendered weapons to participate in politics) that launches military attacks on their own hook. There were celebrations in the streets when the two Israeli soldiers were kidnapped from Israel in an invasion (small but still accurate use of the term).

If they wish to support this by voting for and supporting an uncontrollable group that brings this kind of heat down then they don't get our support.

I hope that my friends in Lebanon, and the innocents there (children, visitors, and those who fight the terrorists), are not hurt in this action, but I do wish they'd all stand up and say "no more" to the terrorists. Israel doesn't attack without provocation. Show when they've done so. They may be heavy handed as hell, but they don't do it for the hell of it.

Lebanon needs, as a culture and nation, to stop supporting Hizballah until it renounces terrorism.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

avi

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:22 pm

let's temporarily change our flags to Lebanon to show our support.

Lebanon (and don't tell me it was Hizbullah, enough with this wash words) declared WAR against Israel yesterday morning at 09:05 by opening fire along the Israeli border, incursion into Israel, killing, injuring and kidnapping Israelis soldiers and today they are bombing all over northern Israel.

Nice to see you supporting and identifying with this act.
Long live the B747

frequentflyer

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Have just changed my flag to the one currently really fighting the enemy: terrorism.
Take off and live

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting Avi (Reply 33):
declared WAR against Israel yesterday morning at 09:05 by opening fire along the Israeli border, incursion into Israel, killing, injuring and kidnapping Israelis soldiers and today they are bombing all over northern Israel.

It was NOT the Lebanese army, and it was not actions upon commands of the Lebanese government. So that your statement just is empty and hollow and senseless rethorics.

cedars747

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
When the government of Lebanon does nothing to stop terrorists operating in their country, it's more than fair.

The main problem here is that civilians are being punished for military actions.Beirut international airport is not a Hezbollah base !
Alex!!!

KLMA330

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:27 pm

I have changed my flag to show support for Israel.

The reason should be obvious here.... The Israelis may not be perfect, but they are far more tolerant, and have much more desire for peace, than anyone surrounding them.

avi

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:36 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 35):
It was NOT the Lebanese army, and it was not actions upon commands of the Lebanese government. So that your statement just is empty and hollow and senseless rethorics.

Wash words, wash words, wash words.
Do you see what is happening when a government doesn't take responsibility on what is going on in its territory?
The attack came from Lebanon and it is the problem of the Lebanese government (which one of its ministers is a Hizbullah member).
War is hell. If you have problem with it, don't start it.
Long live the B747

aloges

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:39 pm

Changing the a.net flag again... yeah, that's going to make a difference!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

aloges

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:42 pm

Quoting Avi (Reply 38):
The attack came from Lebanon and it is the problem of the Lebanese government

Uh-huh. So why did no one bomb Saudi Arabia after the 9/11 attacks? Most of the highjackers were from that country.

Quoting Avi (Reply 38):
War is hell. If you have problem with it, don't start it.

I hope you won't have to eat your words. Israel started this episode of war after which would otherwise have gone down so differently. Of course Israel has every right to defend itself and crack down (hard) on Hizbollah, but what the fuck is blocking ports and bombing airports and bridges supposed to be good for?!?

halls120

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:42 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 36):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):

The main problem here is that civilians are being punished for military actions.Beirut international airport is not a Hezbollah base !
Alex!!!

So you say. In any event, when the government of Lebanon starts taking substantive action to rein in Hezbolah, they will have my support. Otherwise, they are just as culpable for their inaction.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

dl021

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:45 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 40):
Uh-huh. So why did no one bomb Saudi Arabia after the 9/11 attacks? Most of the highjackers were from that country

Because Saudi Arabian government offered immediate support to round up terrorists and cooperate with us in the war on terror. The Lebanese government is not cooperating with Israel, nor is it rounding up Hizballah terrorists.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:46 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):

Thankyou for supporting Denmark, those who did, it was really nice to see, but I don't think you can compare the cartoon crisis with the crisis between Israel and Lebanon. It is way more complex than the cartoon crisis I think

aloges

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:50 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 42):
The Lebanese government is not cooperating with Israel, nor is it rounding up Hizballah terrorists.

And they won't be starting that anytime soon, after Olmert's government gave them this token of esteem. To me, actions like these (no matter whose actions they are) are like thinking from noon until 12 pm - you don't even try a different approach because you think violence has always worked best for you. Nevermind you're still in the exact same mess as 50 years ago due to that violence.

[Edited 2006-07-13 14:53:33]

avi

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:52 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 40):
Israel started this episode of war

Israel started this episode of war?????????????????????????????????

Are you ok???????????????????????????????????
Long live the B747

cedars747

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 41):
So you say. In any event, when the government of Lebanon starts taking substantive action to rein in Hezbolah, they will have my support. Otherwise, they are just as culpable for their inaction.

Look,Israel knows well that the Lebanese government has no control on Hezbollah
Alex!!!

TheSorcerer

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:56 pm

What are the chances of them doing that?

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 11):
of Hizbollah? No thank you.

Dunno about you but i read "let's temporarily change our flags to Lebanon", now wheres the talk of Hizbollah?

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

aloges

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:58 pm

Quoting Avi (Reply 45):
Israel started this episode of war?

Yes, when they started bombing Beirut. Like I said time and again, I have no problem with the shelling of southern Lebanon by Israeli forces. That's where the immediate threat to Israel sits, isn't it?

The Lebanese government did not declare a war and the Lebanese people did not launch a massive attack against Israel. Hizbollah abducted two soldiers and Olmert decided cutting Lebanon's lifelines was his option. They're "punishing" the entire country, and hard, for the acts of one terrorist organisation.

Quoting Avi (Reply 45):
Are you ok?

I'm perfectly fine. Read my posts in this thread for my thoughts on the issue before Israel started bombing civilians: Israeli Forces Enter Lebanon (by Falcon84 Jul 12 2006 in Non Aviation)

[Edited 2006-07-13 14:59:55]

ly7e7

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:10 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 46):
Yes, when they started bombing Beirut.

No, Lebanon did, by opening fire, crossing the border killing Israeli soldiers and taking POWs. This was an open declaration of war against Israel - via a blatant attack on a sovereign country.

I should also remind you that attack on the IDF troops patrolling the border on the Israeli territory was followed by firing missiles onto the northern Israeli towns and villages - resulting in casualties.

Only then the IDF was authorised to begin the "Proper payback" operation that resulted by a complete air, sea and land blockade on Lebanon.

The blockade serves several purposes:
1) Letting the Lebanese government to understand that war actions against Israel from Lebanese territory will be severely punished.
2) Preventing the flow of ammunition to the Hezbollah forces.
3) Preventing an attempt of getting Israeli POWs out of Lebanon.

One single runway was left operational in BEY , to allow emergency operations. The air raid was performed when the air traffic was minimal to avoid mass loss of lives and equipment.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

aloges

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:21 pm

Quoting LY7E7 (Reply 47):
No, Lebanon did, by opening fire, crossing the border killing Israeli soldiers and taking POWs.

Hizbollah does not equal Lebanon.

One single runway was left operational in BEY

You'd better let the FAA know:

Quote:
A0173/06 - RAFIC HARIRI INT'L AIRPORT CLOSED DUE DAMAGE AFFECTING ALL RUNWAYS ( 16/34,17/35 AND 21/03 ) AS A RESULT OF AIRRAID. 13 JUL 07:39 UNTIL 14 JUL 10:00

directly from https://www.notams.faa.gov/

The air raid was performed when the air traffic was minimal to avoid mass loss of lives and equipment.

Oh how generous of them. So more people can have fun seeing their supplies run out, right?

I'm sick and tired of this bullshit blame game played by both sides in this conflict; Hizbollah abducts two soldiers causing a reaction by Israel and blames Israel for "occupying" its own country - as they always do. Israel reacts and resorts to collective punishment for an entire nation and the government blames that entire nation for the actions of a terrorist group. It's been that way for as long as I can remember and a lot longer.

[Edited 2006-07-13 15:24:37]

avi

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:21 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 46):
Yes, when they started bombing Beirut.

You don't let facts to confuse you, don't you?
The war started yesterday morning by Lebanon, not this morning by Israel.
Long live the B747