maury

Poll: Americans Want Dems In Power

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:56 am

Of course, many of our friends on the right don't believe in polls, but for the rest of us here in the US who do, the AP wire says: "Republicans are in jeopardy of losing their grip on Congress in November."

A Democratic House and Senate could mean distressing circumstances for the current President and his pals. So many potential investigations, etc.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060714/...;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

AirCop

RE: Poll: Americans Want Dems In Power

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:30 am

But America still suffers from; its not my congressman, its the others that are (fill in the blank). Only after the first Tuesday in November will we know what the American's real feeling towards Congress is.

Newark777

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting Maury (Thread starter):
Americans Want Dems In Power

I think it's more of a fact that people are sick of the Republicans.

Sort of like the proverbial douche and turd sandwich.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

texan

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
But America still suffers from; its not my congressman, its the others that are (fill in the blank). Only after the first Tuesday in November will we know what the American's real feeling towards Congress is.

checkmark 

Spot on. Been advising a couple of campaigns and the main thing they have to do in speeches is avoid attacking the individual Congressman or woman, but attack Congress as a whole. Don't say, "Senator Kennedy did this," or "Representative Hastert voted for that." Say, "Congress did this and we need to show them that we will not stand for it." Phrases along those lines are much more likely to be met with a positive response and more likely to bring people into your camp.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Pope

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:38 am

First of all this poll is largely meaningless from a predictive standpoint. While I don't dispute the findings, that the majority of the country is favoring democrats over Republicans, the conclusion it draw are completely unsupportable for the reasons I'll outline below. If you ask me, this article is very basic and poor journalism.

1. It's not of likely voters

Quote:
The AP-Ipsos survey asked 789 registered voters if the election for the House were held today, would they vote for the Democratic or Republican candidate in their district. Democrats were favored 51 percent to 40 percent.

Given how poor turnout is in mid-term elections, the lerge majority of registered voters simply don't show up to vote.

2. It's not conducted on a district by district basis.

Both side will tell you that at most there are 30 to 35 congressional districts that are in play. Polling anyone outside those districts is meaningless in predicting whether or not Congress will change hands.

3. Historically, while people generally view Congress as an institution unfavorably, they like their Congress person. This dictomy makes it very hard for an incumbent to loose. Most seats change hands when the incumbent retires.

4. There's a hell of a lot of time between now and the election. Remember in the summer of 2004 W was down by double digits in national polls. And we know how that turned out.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Falcon84

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):
If you ask me, this article is very basic and poor journalism.

Of course it is, because it doesn't agree with what you want, Pope. Know what? Too bad.

If the Dems do take control of the Congress-and I do NOT see them taking both houses, btw, you'll be the first one crying on here.
Work Right, Fly Hard

PSA53

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):
First of all this poll is largely meaningless from a predictive standpoint. While I don't dispute the findings, that the majority of the country is favoring democrats over Republicans, the conclusion it draw are completely unsupportable for the reasons I'll outline below. If you ask me, this article is very basic and poor journalism.

Most polls,I find, is just propaganda.

But say this about the Republicans.At least,and it can be said of Bush as well, they took on some pretty hard,infavorable issues head on,and didn't shy away like most politicians do.

Ok,Superfly! Your turn.
Welcome back.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Falcon84

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 6):
But say this about the Republicans.At least,and it can be said of Bush as well, they took on some pretty hard,infavorable issues head on,and didn't shy away like most politicians do.

They created many of them as well.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pope

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 7):

Without a doubt. Hell read the very first line of my post. I agree with the findings of the poll. Anyone can tell that the country is not happy with the GOP leadership. But that finding alone does not support a conclusion that the House or the Senate will change hands.

Calm down, read what's being said, and respond to what is said not what you imagine it saying.

PSA53

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 7):

True.Like the patriot act.
But despite its civil liberties questions,I feel
better secured that it's in place then nothing
at all.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

b757300

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:10 am

Another crap poll from the AP. If they were right in 2004, then John Kerry would be President right now.

This is the typical rigged poll to give the results they want. Just look @ the internals.

53% Democrat
41% Republican
6% Independent/Other

And to repeat what Pope already said...

Secondly, a national poll cannot predict how congressional elections will go. House races are not national but local. Surveying a few hundred people around the country in no way can predict 435 different races.

Constantly you will find polls where 70%-80% say "Congress sucks" but at the same time the same 70%-80% will give their Congressman very high approval.

Also, a national survey almost always has "unnamed Democrat" winning elections but unfortunately for the Democrat Party, they have to run named candidates.

Just like this time in 2004, the media and their fake polls were showing "Bush is crashing, Democrats are surging". I can't even count how many threads we had here saying "Get Ready for President Clark, Kerry, Edwards, Dean, etc."

The day after the election, the media and their fake polls will once again have egg on their faces.

[Edited 2006-07-14 22:11:42]
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

MaverickM11

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:10 am

Republicans are in jeopardy of losing their grip on Congress in November

Here's hoping.

A Democratic House and Senate could mean distressing circumstances for the current President and his pals.

A Democratic House would mean the government would mean more conflict, which would mean less gets less done, which would be a good thing since neither party seems to be able to do what is rational or sensible, nevermind economically sound.

Americans Want Dems In Power

Americans don't know what the hell they want.
E pur si muove -Galileo

IFEMaster

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
after the first Tuesday in November will we know what the American's real feeling towards Congress is.

It's a shame that this isn't really true...with voter turnout as low as it has been in the past decade, it's a shame that there never really is a true representation of the people.

Who cares anyway? Politician is just another word for crook. Whoever gets elected in to whatever position will be bent.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

texan

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 12):
Who cares anyway? Politician is just another word for crook. Whoever gets elected in to whatever position will be bent.

Get behind and independent candidate. Ask someone from your city council (assuming it is non partisan), a mayor, or a local businessman to run independently. Get a group of 20-30 friends to help you. Hold town hall meetings around the district. Prove that he or she will not be beholden to corporate interests and will report all funding from outside parties as well as meetings with lobbyists/industry execs/etc. Find someone YOU trust and ask them to help change our status.

And for god's sake don't say it can't be done. It CAN be done. It's a really tough, uphill battle, but it can be accomplished and we can change the way politics work in DC, Austin, Madison, Phoenix, wherever. It takes a lot of work, dedication from the candidate and staff, some good ideas, and a personable candidate. Let's do it. Let's right this ship.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 10):
This is the typical rigged poll to give the results they want.

Ah yes, of course. As with everything you don't like or disagree with, it is part of a vast left wing conspiracy. You're just laughable. Now go run from some more threads.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Falcon84

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:10 am

This is the typical rigged poll to give the results they want. Just look @ the internals.

God but you are eternally delusional.  rotfl 
Work Right, Fly Hard

jwenting

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:16 am

As usual, a completely meaningless leftist poll to show themselves that they are the good guys instead of the evil idiots.

I can vividly remember the polls showing Kerry had a 70-30 lead right up to the moment it was announced he'd lost the elections...

Get over it, the world has woken up to the fact that you're a bunch of corrupt loosers who can't even win elections you rigged yourself.
I wish I were flying

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 16):
I can vividly remember the polls showing Kerry had a 70-30 lead right up to the moment it was announced he'd lost the elections...

Um......no, sorry.

Get over it, the world has woken up to the fact that you're a bunch of corrupt loosers who can't even win elections you rigged yourself.

hahaha

gunsontheroof

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:23 am

As much contempt as I have for the current administration, I don't think the Democrats have anything in the way of a plan for this country...considering that they're probably going to be back in the driver's seat soon, let's hope they get their shit together.

Pope

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 15):
God but you are eternally delusional.

This from the guy who predicted a Kerry landslide and then had to delete himself to avoid all the embarrassing posts he had written leading up to the election.

solarix

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:34 am

I'd rather have democrats from JFK days not democrats of Howard Dean days in office. Todays democrats have taken the party to the toilet.

Guess we see what happens in Nov. A lot can change in a few months.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

nkops

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):
Americans don't know what the hell they want.

That is correct, except I know I want to stop paying $3.50 for gas.

Even if Dems take control of Congress, it won't get better!!!!

Poll: Americans Want Dems In Power

I don't remember being asked, and I'm an American!!
:evil:

PSA727

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:33 am

This poll is so pointless.

Put in specific candidate names in specific districts, poll those specific
constituents, and see what results you will get.

Remember in December 2003 the "poll" at that time had GWB trailing
against "Democrat Candidate". But when they put one of the actual
Democrats running for president into the equation, GWB almost always
came out ahead.

Moreover, just wait for Howard Dean to give more 30 second soundbites,
and see how the polls are afterwards.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

ArtieFufkin

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:43 am

The Cook Political Report is one of the most highly respected polls in Washington. He's been very accurate in the past.

To date he shows 14 vulnerable GOP House seats. 0 vulnerable Dem seats.

And this has been getting worse as time goes by as Bush sickens people.

http://www.cookpolitical.com/races/r...ort_pdfs/2006_house_comp_jul12.pdf

Stretch

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:58 am

I'm for a person who will follow the US Constitution, not a special intrest group. I want low taxes, less gov. involvement, etc.

If it's a dem that is going to do that, or a rep, or an indy, I'll vote for them. If they lie to me, I'll vote against them the next time their seat is up. I am sooo tired of ALL the politicians that are so out of touch with how things really are. Last time I checked, the good ole USA was a country "By the people, for the people." Seems as though most have been missing those words in the D.C. area.

Stretch

Duff44

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting Stretch (Reply 24):

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm sick of both the religious wrong (I refuse to call them 'right') and pinko-commie ultra liberals running this country. Where's all the moderates? Hello? Anybody?
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

NIKV69

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):
First of all this poll is largely meaningless from a predictive standpoint. While I don't dispute the findings, that the majority of the country is favoring democrats over Republicans, the conclusion it draw are completely unsupportable

These polls always are. If you ask a huge percentage of Democrats who they are going to vote for what do you think they are going to say?

I kind of remember all these polls in which Kerry was going to carry all these states. Kind of didn't work out that way when the actual votes were counted.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 6):
Most polls,I find, is just propaganda.

That's all they are, a way for the liberal media to try to make you think the majority of the country wants Democrats in office.

Another crap poll from the AP. If they were right in 2004, then John Kerry would be President right now.

Yea they had him winning Ohio too, funny how it never really happened that way.

Exactly. These polls are merely propaganda. They are designed to deceive. When the people actually go to the voter booths it is a whole different story.

Quoting Nkops (Reply 21):
That is correct, except I know I want to stop paying $3.50 for gas

Well that is up to us. We need to start conserving instead of driving around in these dumb ass Hummers that get 8 MPG. If this country could just reduce it's use of gas a little the price of gas would go down drastically. Has nothing to do with who is in office.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

falstaff

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting Nkops (Reply 21):
That is correct, except I know I want to stop paying $3.50 for gas

That is what I care about too. Ten years ago I drove a 72 Cadillac with a 472 C.I.D. engine and I got 7 mile per gallon all the time. What a great car that was. I am glad I had the chance to do it, because I sure couldn't afford to do it now. Now I drive a Mercedes Diesel and it gets 30 mpg, but I still cringe when I fill it up.

I don't care who gets in power, it really doesn't matter, but the dems will have to stop being so out there in their politics The average american doesn't give a hoot about gay marriage or any other liberal concept we want cheap gas and good jobs! I can speak for me and at least a few other people that I am sick of the far right telling me about religion and the far left trying to kick religion out of everything. Can't I just go to church in peace. Without someone complaining about it. What really scares me and most other "redneck Americans" is that we don't want people from New York, Florida, or California telling us how we should live in Missouri, Michigan, or Indiana. They think we are back woods and we think they are crazy. Of course there are plenty of "rednecks" in those places too.

Don't take away my guns, give me cheap gas, lower my taxes, and I will vote for you!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 26):

Yea they had him winning Ohio too, funny how it never really happened that way.

What? Ohio was one of the closest, hotly contested borderline states. Pretty logical to be off on that, because it was something of a coin flip. If they had Texas going blue, then you could go bitch. You make no sense, Vollaro.

maury

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):
If you ask me, this article is very basic and poor journalism.

You should send the AP a tart note. Let them know you're an a.netter when you do.

NIKV69

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 27):
That is what I care about too. Ten years ago I drove a 72 Cadillac with a 472 C.I.D. engine and I got 7 mile per gallon all the time. What a great car that was. I am glad I had the chance to do it, because I sure couldn't afford to do it now. Now I drive a Mercedes Diesel and it gets 30 mpg, but I still cringe when I fill it up.

Yikes, my friend had the same car and we nicknamed it the "dragon wagon" Talk about a gas guzzler. I mean I drive a Maxima and I average 26 MPG HIghway and city. Now just imagine if everyone drove something like mine or more fuel efficient. Guess what would happen to the Arabs and their oil. I wish we could get rid of these dumb ass SUVs.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 28):
What? Ohio was one of the closest, hotly contested borderline states. Pretty logical to be off on that, because it was something of a coin flip. If they had Texas going blue, then you could go bitch. You make no sense, Vollaro.

Maybe but these dumb ass exit polls had Kerry soundly defeating Bush in Florida and Ohio though the actual votes told a much different story.

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:02 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 30):
Maybe but these dumb ass exit polls had Kerry soundly defeating Bush in Florida and Ohio though the actual votes told a much different story.

I'm not a big fan of exit polls in general, and they are inherently far from always accurate. Once again, Florida is a big battleground state, and those projections were sure in the margin of error of that statistical method. What does a news corporation have to gain from intentionally projecting the wrong winner or screwing with statistics. In those hectic election night- they want to be right!, its certainly not a time for them to push their agenda (if they have one).

falstaff

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:15 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 30):
Yikes, my friend had the same car and we nicknamed it the "dragon wagon

My buddy Gerry had a 1989 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon. We called it the same name. We thought we were being original. That was neat car, The last year for the 1977-1989 Full Size LeSabre wagon. No plastic wood though, that would have been cool!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Stretch

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:15 pm

Glad my 06 F-150 pulled 20mpg the other day....lol. If they made fuel efficient cars with leg room for tall fellers like me, I'd buy them. 6'5, and a growing boy in the back seat doesn't work....

I still think we should tap into the ANWR.  Wink

Stretch

N174UA

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):
3. Historically, while people generally view Congress as an institution unfavorably, they like their Congress person. This dictomy makes it very hard for an incumbent to loose. Most seats change hands when the incumbent retires

checkmark  The opposite of progress is CONgress...  Wink (regardless of the party in control)

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):
4. There's a hell of a lot of time between now and the election. Remember in the summer of 2004 W was down by double digits in national polls. And we know how that turned out.

Yesssirrreeeeeeebob. We have 3 1/2 months to the election. That is an ETERNITY in political terms. I don't exactly like our GOP leadership, but I sure HATE liberal freaks like Nancy Pelosi and Chucky Schumer.

On 2nd thought....let them get elected. Let them make asses of themselves, and that will help Sen. McCain get elected president in '08.

NIKV69

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Quoting Stretch (Reply 33):
I still think we should tap into the ANWR.

Unless I am mistaken there isn't enough oil there to make a big difference. We have to cut down on our use of oil. Big time. It is the only way to bring down oil prices and put a stop to this insanity.

srbmod

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:09 am

They were right, it's just that they didn't factor in the fraud factor in Ohio.........  duck 

As long as the Democrats have loonies like Pelosi and Reid in charge, they won't get anything accomplished. The Democrats have swung too far to the left in the last few years to really entice the independents and the moderates to their side. The only way the Democrats could have some significant gains would be for the party leadership to move the party back towards the center. A lot of the liberal left agenda as pushed by Pelosi and Company doesn't jive with Middle America.

This election is not really going to be the indicator for things in 2008. There are too many wild cards in the Presidental race, and while some fallout from this election will play a role on some potential candidates for the White House, this time next year, we'll still be wondering who the front runner for each party will be. Once you get past Condi (who still says she's not interested, although I'm sure there's a draft campaign for here), the Republicans don't have much to look at. Jeb has said he's not going to run, McCain may have shot himself in the foot, Romney got a few issues to deal with, so who else would they try to run? The Democrats aren't much better. Kerry Redux, Edwards, Hillary (Still claims she's not going to run, but why would a Senator need a $22+ million campaign war chest unless they were looking at a Presidental run.), who else?