Cadet57
Topic Author

Ya, So, I Got A Speeding Ticket Today...

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:47 am

Ok, before you all bash me, Let me just say this: Upon being pulled over I didn't act like a jerk. I answered his questions truthfully. Didn't bs him, just let him do his job. Problem was, he wasn't coming off the same way. He could not have been less courteous if he tried. So now im in fowl mood as i have to come up with close to 300 dollars now. Unless I win in court.... But is there anything else I can do besides fight it or pay it? Or anythin that will help me win?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

IFEMaster

RE: Ya, So, I Got A Speeding Ticket Today...

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:49 am

How fast were you going and what was the speed limit?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
How fast were you going and what was the speed limit?

80 in a 65 (mph)

Sabena332

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:53 am

Move to Germany, problem solved.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 3):
Move to Germany, problem solved

Isnt it worse if you get nailed for speeding? Well sans unlimited parts of the autobahn..

IFEMaster

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:57 am

Well I know in California that the rule by the book is that you have to be travelling at an 'unsafe' speed on city streets to get ticketed (for example, you could get away with 50 in 45, but not 55 or 60). On the freeway, you can get ticketed for doing even 1mph over the posted speed limit, although that never occurs.

I once received a ticket for doing 48mph in a 40mph zone at about 3:00am. I took it to court and won, because the officer couldn't substantiate that 48mph is unsafe on a straight, well-lit road with no other traffic.

Several months later I got a ticket at the same spot for doing the same - 48mph in a 40mph, but it was at 7:20am. I didn't fight it that time because I knew that it could be considered unsafe at that time of day; kids going to school, pedestrian traffic around etc.

vikkyvik

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
80 in a 65 (mph)

Was this in Connecticut?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 6):
Was this in Connecticut?

yup, Howd you know.

Sabena332

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):
Well sans unlimited parts of the autobahn..

You're right actually. We have some parts of the Autobahn where you can go as fast as your car can, but the fines are very high when the police catch you speeding in a 30 kph or 50 kph zone. Personally I am extremly careful when I am driving within the city, and that is not easy when you drive a car with 350hp (which I have currently  Silly  Wink).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

WellHung

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Thread starter):
Upon being pulled over I didn't act like a jerk.

So?

I answered his questions truthfully.

So?

Didn't bs him, just let him do his job.

So? You act like kissing the guy's ass means you don't deserve a ticket. Get off it.

So now im in fowl mood as i have to come up with close to 300 dollars now.

Maybe you will think about that next time you choose to break the law.

Or anythin that will help me win?

Great, another person who wants to escape responsibility for their actions. You're guilty, you know you're guilty and now you're begging for some miracle technicality to get you off the hook. You are the only one who can learn from this mistake. Maybe if you're extra nice to the judge, as well, he and the officer will realize how great a guy you are and decide to drop it.

Tom in NO

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:03 am

But is there anything else I can do besides fight it or pay it?

Move to west Texas where doing 80 is now legal in something like 12 counties.....

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 9):

So? Becuase each time you hear of someone that gets pulled over they act like a jerk. They get their ass in a sling and wonder why. Im not trying to find someone else to take the blame. If I was Id be here bad mouthing the cop. I know I was speeding. But thing was is that I was keeping up with traffic and was attempting to pass another car. He pulled me over from the left lane. Again. Im not trying to have someone else take the blame. I know its my fault.

searpqx

While its great that you were polite and cooperative with the cop, and it sucks that he didn't act the same, it really has no bearing on the issue. You were speeding, you got caught, you pay the penalty. I do not understand and really dislike the mentality that says there ought to be 'a way out of it'. Just be responsible for your actions and take your lumps. (And for the record, I habitually drive over the speed limit, and when that inevitible day comes when I get caught, I'll take my own advice.)
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Queso

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 3):
Move to Germany, problem solved.

Or move to West Texas, problem solved. I wonder which has more miles of high-speed-limit roads, Texas or Germany? Interstate 10 alone is about 500 miles of 80mph speed limit and I think Interstate 20 has about 100 miles. They're all very good roads, too.

vikkyvik

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 7):
yup, Howd you know.

Vaguely remembered that I thought you were from Massachusetts or thereabouts, and then saw BDL in the profile.

I would have been somewhat surprised if you had gotten the ticket in Mass. But I've typically found that people in Conn. drive a bit slower.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Sabena332

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 13):
80mph speed limit and I think Interstate 20 has about 100 miles.

Speed limit?  rotfl 

We have highways with no speed limit at all! On some parts of the "Autobahn" you can go as fast as you want (or your car wants  Wink).

Not that we can take advantage of it very often, damned traffic jams.  Wink

Patrick

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:12 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 14):
But I've typically found that people in Conn. drive a bit slower.

Not on I-91 at rushhour... or so I thought...

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):

I once received a ticket for doing 48mph in a 40mph zone at about 3:00am. I took it to court and won, because the officer couldn't substantiate that 48mph is unsafe on a straight, well-lit road with no other traffic.

?? I find this hard to believe. Not that I don't trust you, but you would think that the law is the law and you can't change the law and get away with it. That makes the whole justice system look weak I think.

And Cadet57, I recommend that you get a cop radar. I have one and its very useful on the highway  Smile

I find it to be a dirty trick though, that the police here is starting to use more and more civil cop cars so that you can't see that a cop is approaching :P

[Edited 2006-07-15 00:22:18]

futureuapilot

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:25 am

Check this out on SoYouWanna.com, It might come in handy for you...

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/traffictix/traffictix.html

Cheers!
-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

Tod

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 17):
but you would think that the law is the law

Not is all states.

A good resource on the subject of tickets and traffic law in the United States:

http://www.motorists.org/

Tod

DAL767400ER

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 15):
We have highways with no speed limit at all! On some parts of the "Autobahn" you can go as fast as you want (or your car wants Wink)

Or as fast as those overtaking trucks let you go  Wink (damn Elefanten-Rennen).

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 15):
Not that we can take advantage of it very often, damned traffic jams.

Unless you can work as a courier and know which way to go to avoid traffic jams (and low-speed limit zones for that matter).

TPAnx

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:36 am

I recommend that you get a cop radar.

IIRC, they're illegal in Connecticut. If I was a cop, and pulled someone over with a radar detector, what might be a warning would automatically become a ticket...
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

WellHung

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
Im not trying to find someone else to take the blame.

I never said you were, but you ARE trying to escape your own responsibility:

Or anythin that will help me win?

Quoting Queso (Reply 13):
Texas or Germany?

Germany.

IFEMaster

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:38 am

I find this hard to believe. Not that I don't trust you, but you would think that the law is the law and you can't change the law and get away with it. That makes the whole justice system look weak I think.

The law is the law. The law in the California Highway Code states that when driving on city streets, you may not drive faster than is deemed "safe". Posted speed limtis are more advisory than strict rules on city streets, and if you get pulled over, the officer must substantiate that what you were doing was "unsafe" if you take it court. Most people never take it to court, and those that do can win based on if the officer can substantiate that the offender's driving was unsafe.

TPAnx

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:41 am

Or anythin that will help me win?[/quote]

Contest it in court..and pray the officer's a no-show. Getting a lawyer will
probably cost more than the ticket would...unless the points would mean you're at risk of losing your license.

TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

Sabena332

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 20):
Or as fast as those overtaking trucks let you go (damn Elefanten-Rennen).

Another evidence that street planners in Germany are utter retards! Why do we have mostly two lane Autobahns only? When we would have three or more lanes, then can trucks overtake other trucks with 1 or 2 kph more and no car driver would complain because there would be at least one more lane left.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 20):
Unless you can work as a courier and know which way to go to avoid traffic jams (and low-speed limit zones for that matter).

I wish that GPS would know this as well.  Wink

Patrick

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Tod (Reply 19):
Not is all states.

A good resource on the subject of tickets and traffic law in the United States:

Thankyou!

Quoting TPAnx (Reply 21):
IIRC, they're illegal in Connecticut. If I was a cop, and pulled someone over with a radar detector, what might be a warning would automatically become a ticket...

First of all: The politicians here are changing their opinions about these radars as the wind blows, so I dont even know if its illegal or not here anymore. If it is, well then I will put the radar inside the glove compartment before the officer sees it. End of story.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 23):

The law is the law. The law in the California Highway Code states that when driving on city streets, you may not drive faster than is deemed "safe". Posted speed limtis are more advisory than strict rules on city streets, and if you get pulled over, the officer must substantiate that what you were doing was "unsafe" if you take it court. Most people never take it to court, and those that do can win based on if the officer can substantiate that the offender's driving was unsafe.

Well those 5 mph extra could be the 5 mph that means the difference between life and death if you hit someone. I don't like the idea of that the police officer has to determine this on his own, because then everyone starts speeding 5-10 mph faster than what is originally allowed and therefore more pedestrians will get killed over time.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 25):
I wish that GPS would know this as well.

Actually, there are GPS naviagation systems that are able to warn you where not to drive based on traffic information that they download live.

[Edited 2006-07-15 00:51:54]

bristolflyer

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
80 in a 65 (mph)

I'm thinking I got lucky then last month when I got pulled over in AZ. I was doing 81 in a 65. Paid the officer some lip service and he wrote me up as doing 75.

Choices were to fight it (I didn't have a leg to stand on, I was speeding and there was no contesting it), to take a $120 fine & points or $110 and driver's ed course. So after 6 hours in a clasroom the only thing I have to whine about is the $110 fine. Yee hah.

BF
Fortune favours the brave

IFEMaster

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 26):
Well those 5 mph extra could be the 5 mph that mean the difference between life or death if you hit someone. I don't like the idea of that the police officer has to determine this on his own, because then everyone starts speeding 5-10 mph faster than what is originally allowed and therefore more pedestrians will get killed over time.

laughing  Dude, you've never driven in California...I don't think I've ever seen anyone drive the posted speed limit. That's just how it is around here. 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit is the normal way to drive here. In fact, there's a law that states you can be cited for driving too slowly if you are deemed to be obstructing the flow of traffic adherent to current conditions.

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 28):
Dude, you've never driven in California...I don't think I've ever seen anyone drive the posted speed limit. That's just how it is around here. 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit is the normal way to drive here. In fact, there's a law that states you can be cited for driving too slowly if you are deemed to be obstructing the flow of traffic adherent to current conditions.

lol Yes I have driven in California a couple of times. Not many people here are driving what is allowed either, but with the law you're talking about that exists over there that makes the officer able to determine whether you should or shouldn't get a ticket based on how safe you were driving, it will encourage people to drive even faster.

IFEMaster

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 29):
it will encourage people to drive even faster.

Oh, it absolutely does because everyone knows they can get away with 5 to 10 mph over the limit without worry. I wish they would enforce the speed limit and be really tough on speeders.

Sabena332

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 29):
Yes I have driven in California a couple of times.

Me, too! Driving in California is actually pretty smooth IMO, as long as you avoid LA, driving in New York is even more insane than in LA.

Patrick

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 30):
Oh, it absolutely does because everyone knows they can get away with 5 to 10 mph over the limit without worry. I wish they would enforce the speed limit and be really tough on speeders.

Well they might not think that they will get away with it every time but, with that law, it will make the possibility that you'll get a speeding ticket smaller as you have an extra trumph card to play. Like here, you know that if you're speeding and you get busted, you'll get that ticket no matter how safely you're driving. If you think you're a safe driver, you will speed a little more as you will think the officer might be nice to you if you are unfortunate enough to get busted. You get my drift?

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 31):
Me, too! Driving in California is actually pretty smooth IMO, as long as you avoid LA, driving in New York is even more insane than in LA.

I avoided the big cities. Haven't tried driving on the east coast. My father let me drive between LA and SFO most of the time along highway 101.

aa757first

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting TPAnx (Reply 21):

They're illegal in a bunch (maybe five?) states. I know West Virgina and California are two and I think New York is another one.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 28):
laughing Dude, you've never driven in California...I don't think I've ever seen anyone drive the posted speed limit. That's just how it is around here. 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit is the normal way to drive here. In fact, there's a law that states you can be cited for driving too slowly if you are deemed to be obstructing the flow of traffic adherent to current conditions.

Here in PA too. In some roads, its almost dangerous to go the speed limit.

In Pennslyvania, I think there is a 7 MPH "grace area", where you won't be ticketed. So you can be going 72 MPH in a 65 MPH zone and not be ticketed. However, if you are going 73 MPH, you can be ticketed. There is a ladder, where the lowest is a small fine and the highest is temoporary suspension of your license.

That's the way I understand it, anyway.

AAndrew

Jamie757

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:16 am

I'd advise you to pay the fine, like most responsible men would and in future, keep an eye on that big dial thats straight in front of you.  Wink

Rgds.
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

FlyVirgin744

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:23 am

$300 for doing 15 over? That's extremely harsh.

Try not to let it bug you too much. Driving is a game, technically a cop can pull you over at anytime for anything. Today you lost. I'm sure you win a lot more than you lose. Most traffic cops are dicks, just something you need to get over.

Next time you get pulled over and its a nice guy, you'll appreciate it more, even though he'll still give you the ticket.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

ua777222

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:37 am

Find a date that the cop is working and set your court date for that. No cop is going to take a day off to sit in court for a speeding ticket. I believe that if he does not show they will dismiss the charges, though I'd have a good reason just in case. In all reality I'd like to see you reason 80 in a 65.  smile 

I was pulled over for going 68 in a 65 at 5am on my way to the airport on US101 here in San Francisco. This is the freeway where if you're not going at least 75 you'll get killed by a nice combination of people late for their flights, taxi drivers trying to get back so the line isn't too long, and good ole California drivers.

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

flymia

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 33):
I avoided the big cities. Haven't tried driving on the east coast. My father let me drive between LA and SFO most of the time along highway 101.

Well I must say 80 in a 65 is not horrible but 15+ would be where I start to worry about getting a ticket. But I do disagree with many speed limits atleast at night. I dont see why it should be against the law to drive 80-90mph at night on a dry well lighted highway at 2am when there are no other cars on the road except for the highway patrol man that pulls you over. Durring the day most of the time I will just stay with how traffic is moving in the left lane but I night I am almost always the fastest car on the road. Half the time I am going 100+, luckly no tickets yet (knock on wood) but some close calls. I would love to drive in Germany one day.
What time of the day did you get your ticket? Where you moving with traffic? Road conditions?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 38):
What time of the day did you get your ticket?

3 pm

Where you moving with traffic?

Keeping up with the flow.

Road conditions?

dry, sunny and 92....

Quoting FlyVirgin744 (Reply 36):
Most traffic cops are dicks, just something you need to get over.

I wouldent go that far, I have a couple police officer friends and my dad knows a bunch and their great guys. Just seems today I ran afowl of one in a bad mood.

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 37):
Find a date that the cop is working and set your court date for that.

The date was set by the trooper, Aug 25th...

ua777222

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:34 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 39):
The date was set by the trooper, Aug 25th...

I'm having lunch with my attorney who is dealing with a personal issue of mine but let me ask him. I know there's a way to change it with an injunction or something.

I'll PM you when I find out tomorrow.

Thanks!

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

Duff44

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:04 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 26):
First of all: The politicians here are changing their opinions about these radars as the wind blows, so I dont even know if its illegal or not here anymore. If it is, well then I will put the radar inside the glove compartment before the officer sees it. End of story.

It used to be posted on the signs at the state line with Massachusetts that detectors were illegal. They were taken down when Gov. Rowland took office and I haven't seen them since.

I'm assuming that law has been repealed...
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

flymia

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 39):
What time of the day did you get your ticket?

3 pm

Where you moving with traffic?

Keeping up with the flow.

Road conditions?

dry, sunny and 92....

Okay well it was 3pm but if you were flowing with traffic that sucks, you just were the unlucky one.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Go3Team

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 34):
In Pennslyvania, I think there is a 7 MPH "grace area", where you won't be ticketed. So you can be going 72 MPH in a 65 MPH zone and not be ticketed. However, if you are going 73 MPH, you can be ticketed.

Try only 5. I got stopped for 71 in a 65 on the PA Turnpike. It was after the cop gave me the ticket that I gave him a bunch of shit about it. I tried to hire a lawyer to fight it for me, but the way PA has their traffic court system set up, it would have been an arm and a leg just for the lawyer. He did tell me that PA has a law that an officer can't ticket you for anything up to 5mph over the speed limit. I went to court to fight it, and they dropped it 1mph. What a bunch of fuckers.
Yay Pudding!

joness0154

Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Don't place all your money on the 'cop won't show up' bet. Chances are, as it is with my town, that they will only give you the option of rescheduling a court date on a known date that the officer will be in town.

If I were you, do not contest it. Just plea bargain with the prosecutor before the trial. You will say that you'd plead guilty if the fine was lessened, etc.

BTW the only state that radar detectors are illegal to use in is Virginia, and their use is banned in Washington DC. All other 48 states it is legal to use them.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:38 pm

Well I must say 80 in a 65 is not horrible but 15+ would be where I start to worry about getting a ticket. But I do disagree with many speed limits atleast at night. I dont see why it should be against the law to drive 80-90mph at night on a dry well lighted highway at 2am when there are no other cars on the road except for the highway patrol man that pulls you over

I totally agree with this! That is also why I am using a radar. Of course its not 100% effective.

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 41):
It used to be posted on the signs at the state line with Massachusetts that detectors were illegal. They were taken down when Gov. Rowland took office and I haven't seen them since.

I'm assuming that law has been repealed...

Well I think they are legal now here in Denmark. Its not that long ago they made them legal though. My dad bought it over 10 years ago in California and it is still working

[Edited 2006-07-15 09:40:55]

DAL767400ER

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:26 pm

Another evidence that street planners in Germany are utter retards! Why do we have mostly two lane Autobahns only?

Because ever since teh wall came down, every money intended for teh Autobahn has been used to upgrade the Autobahnen in the GDR (understandable) and built dozens of new ones like A14, A38, A72, A241, A20, A100extension, most of which are just a waste of tax payers money. But that's enough stuff worthy of a seperate discussion, so I'll stop here.

I wish that GPS would know this as well.

Pah, screw GPS, all I need is my sense for orientation, and at most a ADAC atlas Big grin .

EWS

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:36 pm

Well Cadet..

Was it this guy? If so you got off pretty lightly..

Lew  rotf 

AirCop

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 37):
Find a date that the cop is working and set your court date for that. No cop is going to take a day off to sit in court for a speeding ticket.

On overtime, the state trooper will be there, easy way to make another $150-200 ; before I retired one could get in trouble for NOT going to court! And it usually isn't a day, maybe an hour or so for traffic court.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 23):
The law in the California Highway Code

Its actually the California Vehicle Code..Basic speed law for surface streets in pretty much nationwide.

So you're 15 over and got caught; (Didn't you get stopped earlier in the year because of your license plate or something?) Must be something wrong with your driving, to cause you to stand out, is traffic school an option?

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting EWS (Reply 47):
Was it this guy?

LMAO. No, but if it was, I wonder if he'd give me a warning?  rotfl   Wink