Thom@s
Topic Author

Bush Forgets How Microphones Work (again).

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:41 pm

It's been a while since the last time this happened, but once again President Bush has said things which were supposed to be private... in front of an open microphone.

During the G-8 meeting in Russia, Bush turned to Tony Blair and said "What they have to do is make Syria force Hizbollah to stop this shit, and it'll all be over."

"This shit" most likely refers to the kidnappings, but it is still uncertain who "they" are.

Note: Don't turn this thread into a Hizbollah vs Israel flame thread...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

MattRB

RE: Bush Forgets How Microphones Work (again).

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Thread starter):
but it is still uncertain who "they" are

Probably in reference to Iran..

[Edited 2006-07-17 15:02:23]
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

bhmbaglock

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:03 pm

"What they have to do is make Syria force Hizbollah to stop this shit, and it'll all be over."

Sounds sensible to me.

"This shit" most likely refers to the kidnappings, but it is still uncertain who "they" are.

Iran most likely but in the likely event they won't do so, the Israelis will have to do it.
Where are all of my respected members going?

AirCop

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting MattRB (Reply 1):

Probably in reference to Iran..

checkmark  Agreed, Iran behind alot of this unrest.

News Flash for Mr. Bush; The much of the world is ignoring the US and its policies and there not much you will be able to do about it.

cfalk

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:13 pm

It's been a while since the last time this happened, but once again President Bush has said things which were supposed to be private... in front of an open microphone.

What he said sounded pretty much right on the nail. I just wish he would come out and say it, just the way he said it.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:15 pm

Indeed it was on a more serious matter this time. Not like the time he thought the microphone was off and called a member of the press "the biggest asshole in the business."

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

DrDeke

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:50 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 4):
What he said sounded pretty much right on the nail. I just wish he would come out and say it, just the way he said it.

As much as I hate to agree with Bush(  Smile ), I do agree with him on this one. It may be a bit of a simplistic way to put it, but I think it's the truth. These days, I don't think Israel is in the business of taking over territory without provocation and if Hamas and Hezbollah would cut out the attacks, I don't think Israel would be attacking them.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

ltbewr

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:08 pm

Ah, isn't it amazing how microphones you think are off capture something you wish you either didn't say at all or you could retract. Bush's comments do express the frustration of how to deal with the situation as to Israel, Hezbolla, Lebanon, Syria and Iran that is going on right now.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:17 am

Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

jaysit

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:24 am

Why is this important?

He got it right there (for once). This stuff is "shit."
Atheism is Myth Understood.

baroque

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 6):
These days, I don't think Israel is in the business of taking over territory without provocation and if Hamas and Hezbollah would cut out the attacks, I don't think Israel would be attacking them.

When did the policy change? Are they going to announce it on Fox?

You dont suppose that either Hamas or Hezbollah might have had some little gripe or other about earlier actions of Israel - such as the bombing of Sheik Yassin and a few prisoners kidnapped to Israeli jails? No, thought not.

DrDeke

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:59 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 10):
Are they going to announce it on Fox?

Nice try at a cheap shot. I wouldn't know since I don't watch television to get my news. And even if I did, I certainly wouldn't be watching Fox. All television "news" is largely fact-free, but from what little I have seen, Fox is even more fact-free than most of the others.

When did the policy change?

I dunno, maybe when Israel withdrew from Lebanon in 2000 or in 2005 when they unilaterally withdrew from Gaza?

-DrDeke

frequentflyer

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 2):
"What they have to do is make Syria force Hizbollah to stop this shit, and it'll all be over."

Sounds sensible to me.

To me too. Very good summary.

The rest of the conversation was, among other topics, on the intent to get the UN/Annan to move their behind and do something, but that's wishful thinking..
Take off and live

flyingbronco05

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:26 am

Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

Doona

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:12 am

This is one of the most coherent statements ever by GWB. He acutally gives off the appearance of being a person. He apparently isn't very good at press conferences, so his staff should just keep microphones close-by at all times to get his statements...  bigthumbsup 

Good to hear that Bush is aware that it is Iran, Syria and Hezbollah that are the problems here, not Lebanon.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

yowza

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 8):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news_web/video/9012da68004b3f8/bb/09012da68004b517_16x9_bb.asx

Well whne he's not being shepparded to say one thing or another by his handlers Bush is actually quite succint on this issue. I am by no means the president of his fan club but he does have a point. You can see Tony was caught a little off guard by GWB saying "shit" but then again you expect that.

YOWza

mrmeangenes

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:26 am

Isn't it amazing -in view of the very real problems the world faces- that critics will seize upon something like this !

" Oooooooh ! He said a BAD WORD !!"

"Oooh-oooh-oooh ! I'm gonna tell my Mommie !!"

Sad  Wow!  Wow!  Sad
gene

Doona

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting Mrmeangenes (Reply 16):
Isn't it amazing -in view of the very real problems the world faces- that critics will seize upon something like this !

Is anyone actually criticizing this? I'd love to know... Big grin

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

yowza

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:30 am

crit�i�cism n. - The act of criticizing, especially adversely.

We get it you voted republican and you have no regrets about it. Nobody is criticising anybody. Stop being a baby boohoo.

YOWza

NIKV69

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:57 am

If Bubba could shove cigars up Monica's bad place I think GW can say "shit" a few times. Give me a break.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

tsaord

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:34 am

If we had a president that was so perfect then I would be afraid! IMO, President Bush is just your average joe trying to do what is best, and slips along the way!

I hope the media doesn't try to flame him for that or use that against him! He said nothing that was out of order IMO.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

ANCFlyer

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:37 am

Makes sense.

So what.  yawn  zzz  yawn  zzz 

checkmark 

Much ado about nothing . . . although I'm sure some Southern Baptist hypocrite Bible-THumper likely threw up their breakfast.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

monorail

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:32 am

Let's see...
The cover story on CNN.com for most of this afternoon:
"Open mic catches Bush expletive on Mideast"

While the growing civilian death toll is mentioned in "other developments"

Thank you CNN for keeping your priorities straight. Isn't it comforting that the most pressing piece of news today [in their heads] was President Bush saying "shit"?
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

SlamClick

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 8):

Interesting that the female commentator was so distressed by Bush/Blair 'light heartedness' about it but expressed no regret whatever that explosive-tipped missiles were fired from HER country into another nation - an act of war.

And members here disagree with this cartoon or pretend not to get it: The Most Accurate Editorial Cartoon Ever (by EA CO AS Jul 17 2006 in Non Aviation)
She illustrates the point of the cartoon by offering no blame whatever to Hezbollah for the consequences.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Tom in NO

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:57 am

Quote sounds fine. It works for me.....what's the problem???

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

halls120

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 14):
This is one of the most coherent statements ever by GWB. He acutally gives off the appearance of being a person. He apparently isn't very good at press conferences, so his staff should just keep microphones close-by at all times to get his statements

I've long suspected Bush has the same "deer in the headlights" problem that other politicians have, such as Gore. While all the "wooden" and "stiff" comments about Gore are accurate, when you meet him in person, he is warm and unassuming and not at all arrogant.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

JAGflyer

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:29 am

Bush doesn't even know how to work anything except his mouth and his hand to grip the bottle.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

NIKV69

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting Monorail (Reply 22):
Let's see...
The cover story on CNN.com for most of this afternoon:
"Open mic catches Bush expletive on Mideast"

While the growing civilian death toll is mentioned in "other developments"

Thank you CNN for keeping your priorities straight. Isn't it comforting that the most pressing piece of news today [in their heads] was President Bush saying "shit"?

You forgetting that it is CNN?
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

TNNH

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:54 am

by "they" GWB was referring to Kofi Anan and the UN.

In conext he was complaining to Blair that if Anan had half a brain he'd be all over Bashar Assad right now.

AirRyan

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:38 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 26):
Bush doesn't even know how to work anything except his mouth and his hand to grip the bottle.

He was able to figure out how to fly an F-106...

And piloting that thing must have been akin to flying IFR all the time every time with that wonderful center split down the windscreen!

VH-KCT*

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:11 am

Does anybody else consider the possibility that he knew full well that the microphone was recording? I must say it resembles the football coach ripping into his players to the press - this way he has been able to express what everybody was no doubt thinking but have been unable to say diplomatically. It's put pressure on the UN without making an official speech that would be seen as aggressive and has shown the contempt for the situation that he and many others must be feeling.

George has also got the added bonus of people seeing that he does indeed have common sense, understands the situation, and is able to express himself quite well!

So everybody wins, nobody gets the blame (except for Kofi, but that poor man cops so much anyway, he won't notice a bit more) and everybody comes out looking better than when they went in.

[Edited 2006-07-18 03:15:04]
I am The Stig

TNNH

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:15 am

nope, if he had known he wouldn't have made that idiotic comment about what continent China is located and how long it'll take President Hu to fly home. This was definately unintentional.

TNNH

VH-KCT*

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting TNNH (Reply 31):
This was definately unintentional.

It's given him respect at home, made him look like a well-informed no-nonsense character with a clear plan of action in troubled times.

I'm surprised that you cannot believe that one of his advisors didn't see this as a golden opportunity. If not to create it, then to milk it for all its worth after the fact.
I am The Stig

L-188

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:54 am

Quoting TNNH (Reply 28):
by "they" GWB was referring to Kofi Anan and the UN.

In conext he was complaining to Blair that if Anan had half a brain he'd be all over Bashar Assad right now.

Yup and Bush is absolutely correct. Annan is sitting on his butt in NYC sipping Lattes and not trying to do anything other then make a 20 second press statement against Israel.

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 29):

Minor point but he flew F-102's, which had all the bugs that the F-106 didn't have.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DrDeke

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 30):
Does anybody else consider the possibility that he knew full well that the microphone was recording? I must say it resembles the football coach ripping into his players to the press - this way he has been able to express what everybody was no doubt thinking but have been unable to say diplomatically. It's put pressure on the UN without making an official speech that would be seen as aggressive and has shown the contempt for the situation that he and many others must be feeling.

George has also got the added bonus of people seeing that he does indeed have common sense, understands the situation, and is able to express himself quite well!

Yes, I think this could very well have been the case. I don't see anything particularly negative about the situation, and I would be one of the first to "bash" Bush if I did, as I really don't like him in general. But even I don't see anything wrong with him saying this, in fact, I tend to agree with him on it (for once).

-DrDeke

L-188

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 34):

Yes, I think this could very well have been the case. I don't see anything particularly negative about the situation, and I would be one of the first to "bash" Bush if I did, as I really don't like him in general. But even I don't see anything wrong with him saying this, in fact, I tend to agree with him on it (for once).

I can't discount that possibility either.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Bobster2

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:36 am

Does anybody else consider the possibility that he knew full well that the microphone was recording? I

This is way Bush talks when he knows the microphone is recording:

Quote:
"I was not pleased that Hamas has refused to announce its desire to destroy Israel."—Washington, D.C., May 4, 2006

So, no, he didn't know. He was much too articulate.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

baroque

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:07 pm

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 11):

Nice try at a cheap shot. I wouldn't know since I don't watch television to get my news. And even if I did, I certainly wouldn't be watching Fox. All television "news" is largely fact-free, but from what little I have seen, Fox is even more fact-free than most of the others.

I am upset at that comment, I don't take cheap shots, although in all modesty, I think my charges are quite reasonable. And just in case you have forgotten, the part owner of Fox has some affinities to my flag country. But you are probably correct about Fox being fact-free - I just count myself lucky not to see more than miniscule amounts of it.

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 11):

I dunno, maybe when Israel withdrew from Lebanon in 2000 or in 2005 when they unilaterally withdrew from Gaza?

Well do they, or don't they? They sort of withdrew from Lebanon but not the parts they wanted, and the withdrawal from Gaza left them in total control of ALL movement in and out of Gaza. W S Gilbert had it perfectly in the Pirates of Penzance, when the Police sing "We go, we go" and the response is "Yes but you don't go!"

It is quite an appropriate recitative and chorus for our times.
http://math.boisestate.edu/GaS/pirates/web_op/pirates16.html

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:43 pm

A full transcript of the conversation, as captured by Sky News:

Bush: Yo Blair How are you doing?
Blair: I'm just...
Bush: You're leaving?
Blair: No, no, no not yet. On this trade thingy...[inaudible]
Bush: yeah I told that to the man
Blair: Are you planning to say that here or not?
Bush: If you want me to
Blair: Well, it's just that if the discussion arises...
Bush: I just want some movement.
Blair: Yeah
Bush: Yesterday we didn't see much movement
Blair: No, no, it may be that it's not, it maybe that it's impossible
Bush: I am prepared to say it
Blair: But it's just I think what we need to be an opposition
Bush: Who is introducing the trade
Blair: Angela
Bush: Tell her to call 'em
Blair: Yes
Bush: Tell her to put him on them on the spot.Thanks for the sweaters it's awfully thoughtful of you
Blair: It's a pleasure
Bush: I know you picked it out yourself
Blair: Oh, absoultely, in fact I knitted it myself
Bush: What about Kofi [inaudible] his attitude to ceasefire and everything else ... happens
Blair: Yeah, no I think the [inaudible] is really difficult. We can't stop this unless you get this international business agreed.
Bush: Yeah
Blair: I don't know what you guys have talked about but as I say I am perfectly happy to try and see what the lie of the land is but you need that done quickly because otherwise it will spiral
Bush: I think Condi is going to go pretty soon
Blair: But that's that's that's all that matters. But if you, you see it will take some time to get that together
Bush: Yeah, yeah
Blair: But at least it gives people...
Bush: It's a process, I agree. I told her your offer to...
Blair: Well...it's only if I mean... you know. If she's got a..., or if she needs the ground prepared as it were... Because obviously if she goes out, she's got to succeed, if it were, whereas I can go out and just talk
Bush: You see, the ... thing is what they need to do is to get Syria, to get Hezbollah to stop doing this shit and it's over
Blair: [inaudible]
Bush: [inaudible]
Blair: Syria
Bush: Why?
Blair: Because I think this is all part of the same thing
Bush: Yeah.
Blair: What does he think? He thinks if Lebanon turns out fine, if we get a solution in Israel and Palestine, Iraq goes in the right way...
Bush: Yeah, yeah, he is sweet
Blair: He is honey. And that's what the whole thing is about. It's the same with Iraq
Bush: I felt like telling Kofi to call, to get on the phone to Bashad [Bashir Assad](9a and make something happen
Blair: Yeah
Bush: [inaudible]
Blair:
Bush: We are not blaming the Lebanese government
Blair: Is this...? (at this point Blair taps the microphone in front of him and the sound is cut.)

Personally I think the following bit was more of a news scoop than the "shit" part;

Bush: Tell her to put him on them on the spot.Thanks for the sweaters it's awfully thoughtful of you
Blair: It's a pleasure
Bush: I know you picked it out yourself
Blair: Oh, absoultely, in fact I knitted it myself

Thom@s Big grin

Mir

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
I'm sure some Southern Baptist hypocrite Bible-THumper likely threw up their breakfast.

A bible-thumper who, ironically, in all probability voted for Bush based on his "family values."  biggrin 

Not that I´m criticising Bush for saying it - he´s right. But he should have the presence of mind not to say it in those words when there are microphones around - he of all people should know that the media is going to be all over it if something gets out that shouldn´t have.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DrDeke

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 37):
I am upset at that comment, I don't take cheap shots

Well, I'm sorry then, but it seemed like one to me. Perhaps I mistook your meaning, but the meaning I read from it would in fact have been pretty accurate for many Americans; just not for me.

And just in case you have forgotten, the part owner of Fox has some affinities to my flag country.

That's fine. I'm actually very fond of Australia, I just don't like the Fox media outfit.

-DrDeke

(Edited for more detail.)

[Edited 2006-07-18 21:48:28]

dl021

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 3):
much of the world is ignoring the US and its policies

No...they don't. As a matter of fact the world listens particularly closely when we say things now...since they know that we mean what we say when we inform people of our intent. If a national leader now hears that we're irritated and going to send harm his way they listen...because they have to. They may not like it, but they listen.

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 5):
Not like the time he thought the microphone was off and called a member of the press "the biggest asshole in the business."

He was right there, too.

Bush turned to Tony Blair and said "What they have to do is make Syria force Hizbollah to stop this shit, and it'll all be over."

Spot on comment.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
Ah, isn't it amazing how microphones you think are off capture something you wish you either didn't say at all or you could retract.

What should he regret saying?

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 9):
He got it right there (for once). This stuff is "shit."

Correct.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 9):
Why is this important?

Because some people hope to discredit President Bush even when they can't disagree with him for what he said.

You dont suppose that either Hamas or Hezbollah might have had some little gripe or other about earlier actions of Israel - such as the bombing of Sheik Yassin and a few prisoners kidnapped to Israeli jails? No, thought not.

None that justify what they did. Especially when Israel is working for peace and withdrawing from the territories. You acting as a terrorist apologist now?

Quoting Doona (Reply 14):
This is one of the most coherent statements ever by GWB. He acutally gives off the appearance of being a person. He apparently isn't very good at press conferences, so

He is a real person, and the press conferences which have been more frequent lately seem to be pretty solid.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 15):
You can see Tony was caught a little off guard by GWB saying "shit" but then again you expect that.

I doubt he was caught off guard. I'd be surprised if they don't communicate with each other regularly speaking like that.

I don't really see that he forgot how mikes work. I'd not be surprised to see that the conversation was deliberately close to a microphone.

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 26):

There's some excellent analysis.

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 29):

F-102...which was more difficult.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 33):
Minor point but he flew F-102's, which had all the bugs that the F-106 didn't have.

true

Quoting Mir (Reply 39):
But he should have the presence of mind not to say it in those words when there are microphones around

why? those words needed voicing....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ANCFlyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:43 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 39):
But he should have the presence of mind not to say it in those words when there are microphones around -

But why? Afraid to be Politically Incorrect or say a "naughty" over the air? Doesn't matter . . I'll bet you 99.5% of the US public could give a shit less about Bush's shit on an open mic. The other .5% are those hypocrite Bible-Thumpers I referenced . . . it is SO not news. Who cares???

Quoting DL021 (Reply 41):

I don't really see that he forgot how mikes work. I'd not be surprised to see that the conversation was deliberately close to a microphone.

I didn't say that, I was quoting the Thread Starter . . . I could care less, really, whether he knew the mic was on or not - it's simply not news . . . well, not news unless you're the Media or the typical Anti-Bush numbnut that will swipe at him for anything and everything . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MDorBust

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:56 am

Do we need to review the South Park "shit" episode to put this in it's proper context?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

USAFHummer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:01 am

They covered this on the Daily Show last night, showing the clip uncensored...also, one other bit which they uncovered which appeared to be from the same open mic incident was him saying something about how the other leaders talk too long at the podium...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

dl021

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 42):
I didn't say that, I was quoting the Thread Starter

I know...I was quoting your quote.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

FlyVirgin744

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:22 am

Ah spoken like a true redneck. I didn't disagree though!
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

baroque

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 41):
None that justify what they did. Especially when Israel is working for peace and withdrawing from the territories. You acting as a terrorist apologist now?

I certainly would not want to be an apologist as that would be usurping what is clearly your job.

Small introduction to vocabulary:

Hezbollah (with whom Israel states it is at war) captures two Israeli soldiers
Israeli version - kidnapped. Hezbollah version - took prisoners of war

Israel takes as many government representatives as possible and puts them in jail.
Israel - arrests Hamas version - not sure but probably kidnaps.

Hamas captures an Israeli soldiers in Gaza.
Israel - soldier was kidnapped. Hamas - took a prisoner.
Note that Hamas do not have to stray outside the Gaza strip to find IDF, they are inside guarding crossings and whatever else they do.

Israel drops a bomb on a house and kills residents.
Israel - targetted killing. I will leave you with an Israeli website to explain that one.
http://gush-shalom.org/actions/target_eng.html
If the website is only half correct, the rest of this argument is needless.

baroque

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 40):
I am upset at that comment, I don't take cheap shots

Well, I'm sorry then, but it seemed like one to me. Perhaps I mistook your meaning, but the meaning I read from it would in fact have been pretty accurate for many Americans; just not for me.

And just in case you have forgotten, the part owner of Fox has some affinities to my flag country.

That's fine. I'm actually very fond of Australia, I just don't like the Fox media outfit.

Well we are as one on that, I see very little of Fox, but I did watch a splendid US program called IIRC Outfoxed. As an aside, I am rather surprised that the US seems to be accepting Ruperts self appointed role as kingmaker even in the US. We dont like it here, and are a bit amazed he seems to get away with it in the US, but hopefully we are poorly informed (I must write a stiff letter to Mark Shields) and that nice Tom Lehrer who runs the program*.

You have to be careful with comments from the Antipodes. As we spend our entire lives upside down, this results in comments often being written as inverse statements. This a bit like where Slartybartfaast lived in inverse space if you have read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (and if you have not read it, well what treats are in store for you http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/ )

A net result of this is that if someone has red hair, the Aus name is Blue, as in Blue the Shearer. Anyone called shorty is over 6' 2" and so on. But you need to work out when we emerge into normal, or non-reciprocal space. That needs skill and we are not giving away those secrets, a bit like the bits that will make the F-35 work, non-negotiable!

* Old Australian joke, we do actually know that it is Jim, but good as the program is, we like to think of Tom Lehrer doing it instead. I think the last words of T Lehrer on the present current affairs was that this administration had more or less put him out of business, how could they be satirized?

Tom Lehrer is still feisty and funny, but the king of sophisticated satire tells Tony Davis there's no place for his style of humour now: the world just wouldn't get it.

'I'm not tempted to write a song about George W.Bush. I couldn't figure out what sort of song I would write. That's the problem: I don't want to satirise George Bush and his puppeteers, I want to vaporise them." End of quote
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/28/1046407753895.html

[Edited 2006-07-19 07:33:22]

Boeing7E7

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 24):
Quote sounds fine. It works for me.....what's the problem???

Personally, I wouldn't mind our leaders dropping an occasional F or S bomb when it comes to situations like this.