A346Dude
Topic Author

Photos From A Hot Air Balloon Tour

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:09 am

This summer, I had the opportunity to crew on a hot air balloon tour for three weeks. The Brother Colour Tour consists of 3 balloons - one red (mine!), one yellow, and one blue - which are flying across cities in Ontario and Quebec to promote Brother printers. As crew member, my job was to assist with set up and inflation of the balloon, drive the chase van to a suitable landing field (and, if possible, be on the field before touch down), and then pack everything back up.

Here are a few photos from a morning flight over Montreal, taken by a passenger:

Planning the launch field and general direction of flight

Cruising over the intersection of the A-15 and A-20

Flying low over Nun's Island (Ile des Soeurs)

Approaching the Champlain Bridge

Looking back on the city from up high

At 5,000 feet to catch some faster winds

Blue and yellow chase, as seen from the air

For those in Ontario and Quebec, keep your eyes peeled for these balloons, as the tour runs until mid-September. Hope you enjoyed the photos!

A346Dude
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Queso

RE: Photos From A Hot Air Balloon Tour

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:40 am

That looks like so much fun! I would love to try that some time!

I understand there are a lot of variables such as the ambient air temp and passenger load but how long is one of those balloons able to stay aloft?

captaingomes

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:31 am

Hey Dustin, thanks for sharing that! Looks like you actually managed to get a decent, fun summer job!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

fumanchewd

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:35 am

I would like to get my lighter than air add-on someday.

I had an opportunity to fly one of the Goodyear Blimps and logged 45 minutes. It was awesome. There is something to be said for being at the mercy of the winds, which is also why soaring is so cool.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Curtisman

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:37 am

Great shots! Thanks for sharing.

Of course those pics of my hometown (Montreal) make them extra special.

Cheers!
Len
Citizen of the World

A346Dude
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:30 am

Thanks guys.

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 2):
Hey Dustin, thanks for sharing that! Looks like you actually managed to get a decent, fun summer job!

Yep, told ya.  Wink

Quoting Queso (Reply 1):
I understand there are a lot of variables such as the ambient air temp and passenger load but how long is one of those balloons able to stay aloft?

A balloon like these could stay up for 1.5 to 2 hours, given a moderate temperature and 2 or 3 people. That's on 4 propane tanks, which (if I remember correctly) are 10 gallons each. Then there are those who go for long distance balloon flights, carrying as many propane tanks as can fit in the basket (often tying several around the outside of the basket). Those last a very long time, sometimes approaching a full day.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

HAWK21M

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:32 pm

WOW.
Great Pics.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

LY744

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:24 am

Cool pics Dustin! But come on, admit it, the balloons are just an excuse not to have to drive on Montreal's highways, aren't they?  Silly

If there's another Montreal trip, we're definitely ballooning it, driving is for suckers!

ERTW!

Alex.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it