yanksn4

MLB Trade Deadline: What Does Your Team Need?

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:55 am

Well for all the baseball fans here on A.net, the trading deadline is only two weeks away. With this, there are still many teams out there still in a position for a division championship or wildcard position. So far, little action has taken place. With this, it's time to see what your favorite team will need to trade for and what are some current rumors. I'll start my team:

New York Yankees

What is needed:

1. Starting Pitching (specifically a 4th and 5th starter)
2. Bullpen Relief (the pen is doing ok in my mind, but another arm wouldn't hurt)

Rumors:
1. Talks of Yanks trading for Phillies' Abreu
2. Teams interested in Phil Hughes, but Cashman unwilling to give the prospect up.

any other Yankee fans feel free to add on if I missed anything.

signed,
matthew
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

Roger136913

RE: MLB Trade Deadline: What Does Your Team Need?

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:12 am

Red Sox need starting pitching real bad.

Boeinglover24

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:24 am

Nats fan here....
Since we have nothing to play for..
We need prospects, prospects, prospects.....
And we got a lot to get them too...Livan, Soriano, and Guillen among others...
Uhhh What?

chrisjake

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:34 am

letsee...we need some defense, relief pitching, a new manager and an owner who's willing to spend some fuckin MONEY!

signed,
Cleveland Indians

Alias1024

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:54 am

San Francisco Giants

A couple of starting pitchers, relief pitching, a healthy Moises Alou, and the grand jury finishing without indicting Bonds.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

AirCop

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting Yanksn4 (Thread starter):
Teams interested in Phil Hughes, but Cashman unwilling to give the prospect up.

Was it Jeter that was the last Yankee farmhand to become a impact player with the Yankees.

Diamondbacks; Nothing that four starting pitchers and an effective closer in the bullpen would fix. Shawn Green is supposed to be available even with his no trade type contract.

Cadet985

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:18 am

Philadelphia Phillies....

we need a miracle.

Marc

davestanKSAN

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:22 am

Padres- Anthony Gwynn (Tony Gwynn's son) that would be cool to see him play for the Padres. Other than that maybe more consistant pitching, I'm not sure what else??

cheers,
Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

AirCop

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:26 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 7):
adres- Anthony Gwynn (Tony Gwynn's son) that would be cool to see him play for the Padres

Made his debut on Saturday for the Brewers against the Diamondbacks , grounded out to first. Hit the ball hard. Proud dad was in the stands.

davestanKSAN

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 8):
Made his debut on Saturday for the Brewers against the Diamondbacks , grounded out to first. Hit the ball hard. Proud dad was in the stands.

Nice! They were saying on the local Padres station here how Tony and his wife drove out to Phoenix as soon as they heard he got called up!

Thanks!

dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

IAH777

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:33 am

Houston Astros need a consistent closer who doesn't get rattled easily. At this point, I'd trade Brad Lidge for a bat boy and a groundskeeper to be named later.  grumpy 

Not that our 'pen is much better. Several of Lidge's blown saves can be attributed to the bullpen's having allowed the opposing team to narrow the gap.

jutes85

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:41 am

The Jays need their starters healthy and a solid bullpin. So far, they have stayed close to those pesky Yanks and Red Sox, but their up-coming road trip will make or break their season.
nothing

4holer

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 am

Pittsburgh Pirates

Kevin McClatchy out, Mark Cuban in.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

deltairlines

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:23 pm

What is needed:

2. Bullpen Relief (the pen is doing ok in my mind, but another arm wouldn't hurt)

Rumors:
2. Teams interested in Phil Hughes, but Cashman unwilling to give the prospect up.

Octavio Dotel pitches for Trenton tomorrow night...if he holds up, it's an upgrade for the bullpen without giving anyone up. Will help Proctor out (won't have to burn his arm out), and I would feel fine with Myers/Villone/Dotel/Proctor/Farnsworth/Rivera (have fun in Columbus Kris Wilson).

As for starters, who knows how Ponson is going to be...however, Mussina and Wang have been very good, and Jaret Wright has been pretty decent as of late, with my only knock on him being that he's a 5 inning guy. Johnson, who knows, but he's better than pretty much anything on the market...

As for Phil Hughes, I really hope the kid doesn't get traded. I've seen him pitch twice this year, and I love the kid - great arm, helluva competitor (wears it all out on his sleeve) and I think he will be something special. I think Cashman realizes this and isn't going to touch him.

Jeff

BHMNONREV

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:30 pm

St. Louis Cardinals...

While we could use another bat in LF, and all of the usual suspects have been mentioned (Abreu, Soriano, Dellucci, Wilson, etc..) I think our biggest need is another arm. This was never more evident than tonight, watching the Braves absolutely tee-off on Jeff Weaver in his RedBird debut. This man is not the answer.

Looks like we dumped one turd (Ponson) for another (Weaver)...

aislepathlight

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:48 pm

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 3):
letsee...we need some defense, relief pitching, a new manager and an owner who's willing to spend some fuckin MONEY!

signed,
Cleveland Indians

The offense needs to figure out what consistency means. Depressing season.
bleepbloop

PurdueAv2003

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:52 pm

I can't seem to win anywhere!

My hometown team growing up - the KC Royals

As of right now, 32-60, they could use...maybe a new roster.

My current hometown team - the Pittsburgh Pirates.

As of right now, 33-61, they could use...maybe a mostly new roster. We'll keep Jason Bay.
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

dan2002

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:17 pm

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 3):

signed,
Cleveland Indians

Seconded. Sad season innit?
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:33 pm

Quoting 4holer (Reply 12):
Pittsburgh Pirates

Kevin McClatchy out, Mark Cuban in.

Add Jim Tracy out, Jim Leyland back in and you've got how I feel.

Dear Mr. McClatchy, thank you for saving baseball in Pittsburgh and seeing to it that we have a nice pretty new park. Now, please hand ove the reins to somebody who will actually invest in the team (and by invest, I don't mean sign Jeromy Burnitz), like Mark Cuban.

On a serious note though..pitching, pitching, pitching.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KROC

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:56 pm

What is needed:

Rumors:

I love Yankee logic. They need pitching, but are pursuing Abreu.

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 10):
Houston Astros need a consistent closer who doesn't get rattled easily. At this point, I'd trade Brad Lidge for a bat boy and a groundskeeper to be named later.

HAHAHA.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 18):
Add Jim Tracy out, Jim Leyland back in and you've got how I feel.

Jim Tracy is a great manager. He just has a team of losers (for the most part) in Pitt. Not even Jimmy Leyland would win with that group. Although Mark Cuban getting in there would be a boom to Pittsburgh Baseball.

The Mets. The Mets need 2 solid starters. Pete is done in my book. He might come back, but he won't be as effective as he was in April and May. There is talk of trading for Livan Hernandez, but leave that scum bag where he is. He is over rated at best. The Mets are not going to trade Pelfry, Milledge or Heilman, so that means a big name starter is out (good). They should be able to get a couple arms. They also have a need for a corner outfielder, however Nady and Floyd haven't hurt the team too much yet. There is talk about making a run at Abreu. I hope not. I don't want him. He is extremely over paid for his talant level.

AirCop

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting PurdueAv2003 (Reply 16):
I can't seem to win anywhere!

My hometown team growing up - the KC Royals

As of right now, 32-60, they could use...maybe a new roster.

My current hometown team - the Pittsburgh Pirates.

As of right now, 33-61, they could use...maybe a mostly new roster. We'll keep Jason Bay.

Maybe check with your mental health provider for some new meds.  banghead 

san747

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 7):
Padres- Anthony Gwynn (Tony Gwynn's son) that would be cool to see him play for the Padres. Other than that maybe more consistant pitching, I'm not sure what else??

It'd be nice to have a power hitter in our lineup... We haven't had a 30 HR/100 RBI hitter since 2002...
Scotty doesn't know...

chrisjake

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 17):
Sad season innit?

its like we've reverted back to the 1980s. now, i turn the game on and expect them to lose.

you watch, once Browns season starts NO ONE will be at the ballpark.

chris

deltagator

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 6):
Philadelphia Phillies....

we need a miracle.

Same goes for the Braves. I suppose the run had to end sooner or later.

Quoting KROC (Reply 19):
I love Yankee logic. They need pitching, but are pursuing Abreu.

The sad thing is they'll get both and still get booted from the playoffs.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Continental

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:16 am

Minnesota Twins

PITCHING. We have 2 of the greatest pitchers in the MLB (probably have the best pitcher): Santana and Liriano. Other than that, Radke cannot usually be counted on and Silva, Rincon and others just aren't making things happen. Nathan is an amazing closer, one of the best out there. But to fill the gap between Santana/Liriano pitching games, we need more consistent pitchers. It wouldn't hurt to have some outfielders as Stewart is possibly done and Hunter is injured. Other than that we're fine.

Sonic99

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:54 am

I find baseball brutally boring.

deltagator

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting Sonic99 (Reply 25):

Then why bother posting? Go back to Canada and play some slap and tickle with your hockey buddies.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

texan

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting Boeinglover24 (Reply 2):
And we got a lot to get them too...Livan, Soriano, and Guillen among others...

Livan's about the only big name starter on the market and every team could use a bat like Soriano. Guillen won't fetch too much with the season he's been having. The problem is that Bowden, after receiving a king's ransom for 2 middle relievers, is setting the asking price sky high for both Sori and Livan. 6-7 teams have talked with Bowden about Sori, but nobody is willing to pay the asking price right now. It will take at least two major league ready prospects to get Sori, who is basically a rent-a-player for this year and this year only. Bowden has been talking up Livan like he is the second coming of Satchel Paige, even though Livan has an ERA up around 6 (5.86, I think). Bowden keeps saying, "If you put him in a playoff race he will heat up and win it all for you down the stretch." So he's asking a lot for him. Livan will go, there's just no telling where or for whom.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 23):

Smoltz is supposedly on the market for a 2-3 top tier prospects.

As for my Texas Rangers, we need the same thing we've needed since the Washington Senators moved to Arlington: pitching. Kevin Mench should be available as should Laynce Nix, and top end prospects include Joaquin Arias and Nathan Gold. The question is would we move one of our top pitching prospects for help now in the rotation? Edison Volquez, Kam Loe, Thomas Diamond, and John Danks have been touted as the best home grown pitchers we have produced. Josh Rupe is in there as well, though he is struggling this year at AA Frisco. But would a package of Mench, Nix, and Loe be enough to grab someone like Zito from Oakland? And if so, could we sign Zito to an extension right away to avoid possibly losing him in free agency? And would the A's even consider trading Zito right now in the middle of the playoff hunt to the team that is trailing them by only 2 games? The A's have been high on Nix for a while, even though he has yet to truly perform well in the majors. Mench would give them an immediate upgrade in power and would be fourth on the team in homers after Swisher, Thomas, and Chavez. Mench also puts the ball in play better than any of the previous three have this season. And Loe gives Billy Beane the sinkerball, solid young pitcher to replace Zito long term.

Actually, if we but 1B Nathan Gold in the mix instead of Nix, the A's might actually accept it. Gold is tearing up AA Frisco with a .295 average, 17 HR, and 56 RBI. The A's have had no production from 1B this year and are just generally a horrible offensive team. Gold would be put in AAA to finish out the year and could compete against Dan Johnson for the starting job next year.

Just a pipe dream, but this trade doesn't really cost the Rangers any vital parts. It would be nice to keep Loe, but if we can acquire Zito and lock him up for 3-5 years, he more than replaces Kameron. Trading Mench give DeRosa a consistent position to finish the year, and Gold is not going to get any time at the major league level for the next 5 years since we will not be getting rid of Tex at 1B.

Arias we could trade for either another pitching prospect or an OF.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

deltagator

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 27):

We might as well try to get something for him before he gets too old and busted up to trade.

NIKV69

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:19 am

We need all sorts of pitching badly!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

KROC

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:21 am

I find you brutally boring.

Sonic99

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 30):

I find you brutally boring.

Wow, that's rather harsh... from a mod as well...

chrisjake

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting Sonic99 (Reply 31):
from a mod as well.

he has a valid point though.....the thread wasnt titled "how do you feel about baseball?"

if your not a baseball fan....why bother posting?

ORFflyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:59 am

Hey DG, it ain't over yet. Eleven games back is doable, especially after the run they have been on since late June. They were once eight back in late July and still won the division. Don't get me wrong, I agree it doesn't look good, especially with the way the Mets are playing, but I don't think the Mets will keep this pace up, and I believe the Braves will, at a minimum, make it a race down the stretch.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 28):
We might as well try to get something for him before he gets too old and busted up to trade.

I heard one of the talking heads on ESPN mention the possibility of getting Maddux back to help Smoltz and the rest of the staff. I can't find anything to substantiate it, and I don't think it will happen. But the Braves sure could use another starter.....

I'm not giving up hope just yet. GO BRAVES!!

piercey

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:07 am

Houston Astros need a consistent closer who doesn't get rattled easily. At this point, I'd trade Brad Lidge for a bat boy and a groundskeeper to be named later.

agreed

Houston Astros: Hitting, Relief Pitching, and a closer that isn't hungover from the world series.

Come on, Houston, FLIP THAT SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

deltagator

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 33):
Hey DG, it ain't over yet.

Yogi? Is that you?  Wink

I remember the 8 games back against the Giants and perhaps it is doable. I'm just not sure given the injuries on the team. I've heard rumors and other assorted FUD about Maddux coming back from the Cubs but I think at some point the Braves will have to cut bait and plan for the future.

Sadly, I've not listened to as many Braves games since they switched from WSB over to WGST. I need to change the channel more often.

StarAC17

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:31 am

Considering how bad the NL is this year I would think that the Braves could easily take the NL wild card because I think the Mets have a lock on the NL East this year.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Tom in NO

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:36 am

Dodgers:
Need to add: relief pitching
Need to delete: Odalis Perez, but it won't happen unfortunately due to the size of his contract.....and his lack of charachter
Need to make smaller: the number of players on the DL

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

KROC

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 33):
Hey DG, it ain't over yet. Eleven games back is doable, especially after the run they have been on since late June.

You think the Braves will always be this hot? They are on a good streak, but hot streaks are usually followed by cold slumps.

Tom in NO

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:05 am

The problems the Braves face are two-fold:

1) they are 11.5 games back of the Mets, with the Phils and Marlins both nipping at their heels. And all three teams are chasing a team which has, and is doing, everything it takes to win the division, and likely, the NL championship.

2) more important, they are 5.0 games out in the wild card chase, with SEVEN teams ahead of them vieing for that spot.

As an aside, the Braves are five games under .500, at 44-49. In the joke that is the NL West, that record would have them in last place...

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

yanksn4

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 5):
Was it Jeter that was the last Yankee farmhand to become a impact player with the Yankees.

In my mind, I wouldn't say that. Last year they called up Wang and Cano from the minors. Those two (in addittion to Small and Chacon) is what got the Yankees to the playoffs last year. Wang has been able to shy off the sophomore curse along with Cano, who was having a great season before being put on the dl. Also, Melky Cabraera has bounce back from his flop last year in center and there is talks of him taking Sheffield's place in right next year.

I think the number thing for them right now is to just get the rocket some runs! Everytime he goes to the mound, he shuts the other team down to 1 or 2 runs, yet the stros lineup alway put up blanks.

Quoting KROC (Reply 19):
The Mets. The Mets need 2 solid starters. Pete is done in my book. He might come back, but he won't be as effective as he was in April and May. There is talk of trading for Livan Hernandez, but leave that scum bag where he is. He is over rated at best. The Mets are not going to trade Pelfry, Milledge or Heilman, so that means a big name starter is out (good). They should be able to get a couple arms. They also have a need for a corner outfielder, however Nady and Floyd haven't hurt the team too much yet. There is talk about making a run at Abreu. I hope not. I don't want him. He is extremely over paid for his talant level.

They have looked long and hard for a consistant 5th starter this year with bringing in Jose Lima. What stupid move that was a few years ago to trade Kazmir for Zambrano.

Quoting Texan (Reply 27):

With Atlanta still in the wild card hunt, these two weeks should really tell alot. If they fall off the face of the earth, I would think they would trade Smoltz. All rumors seem to point to Detroit. If I was Atlanta, I would trade him to get the prospects needed and since this is his last year of his contract, all they would have to do is re-sign him in the off season.

signed,
Matthew
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

KROC

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting Yanksn4 (Reply 40):
They have looked long and hard for a consistant 5th starter this year with bringing in Jose Lima. What stupid move that was a few years ago to trade Kazmir for Zambrano.

The first tour of duty for Jose Lima was worh a shot. Bringing him back for one start was fucking ridiculous. And yeah, the Kazmir trade today was very stupid. However back a couple years ago, it looked like a win win for both teams.

dragon-wings

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 41):
However back a couple years ago, it looked like a win win for both teams.

How was that a win for the Mets? Zambrano went on the DL just a few months after the trade. And he is on the DL for most of this season.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

KROC

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 42):
How was that a win for the Mets? Zambrano went on the DL just a few months after the trade. And he is on the DL for most of this season.

I didn't say it was a win. I said when the trade was made, it appeared to be a win win for both teams. Zambrano had a lot of upside to him and he showed it on occasion. This year though, he flushed himself right into the crapper and Duquette ends up making the worst trade in Mets history.

dragon-wings

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 43):
I didn't say it was a win

I know  Smile. I should of said how did the Mets think it was a win win.

Wasn't Zambrano hurt already when he was traded? Cause that first year he was here he didn't last to long before going on the DL.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

travelin man

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:53 am

The Angels need another bat.

The LA Times said today that there are rumors of them acquiring:

- Miguel Tejada, Bobby Abreu, Carlos Lee or Alfonso Soriano

I think Abreu would be a nice addition. A big lefty to complement Vlad Guerrero.

Given that they seem to be pulling out their slump, I would just hope whatever trade they make doesn't decimate their prospects (although the Angels have a really good farm system).

FriendlySkies

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:39 am

Cubs....what DON'T we need...

LTU932

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:26 am

I don't care about what my team needs since they don't care about me. I just need more steroids.

Signed,
Barry Bonds

KROC

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:34 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 44):
Wasn't Zambrano hurt already when he was traded? Cause that first year he was here he didn't last to long before going on the DL.

I don't think so, but we all know Zambrano is a bitch ass liar too, so maybe he was and didn't tell anyone. At the time, he Mets were on the verge of turning the corner. They were desperate for pitching though. Thats why they traded away their top (and can't miss) prospect for a pitcher still developing as well, but was farther along in his development. Along with picking up Anna errrr Kris Benson, is seemed like a good deal for the Metropolitians.

ORFflyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:07 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 38):
They are on a good streak, but hot streaks are usually followed by cold slumps.

This "good streak" was preceeded by a season long slump. I'm not convinced this is a hot streak, but the way they should have been playing all along.  duck 

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 39):
they are 11.5 games back of the Mets, with the Phils and Marlins both nipping at their heels. And all three teams are chasing a team which has, and is doing, everything it takes to win the division, and likely, the NL championship.

You're probably correct, like KROC above. But hell, I'm a Braves fan, and am still holding hope....  Big grin