Topic Author
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:22 am

British Citizenship Question

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:11 pm

Ok so here's the deal. My mother was born in England in 1958, has a British birth certificate and was naturalized as a US citizen when her family came back to the States following her father being stationed in England with the US Military. As I understand any child born to a British parent after 1983 whether born in Britain or not is also British. By virtue of being born in 1985 here in the US am I also a British Citizen?
Posts: 5808
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 7:13 am

RE: British Citizenship Question

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:07 pm

Looks like you are.....

(b) Mother -Automatic claim if born after 01 January 1983 and mother born, registered or naturalised in the UK.

Before the introduction of the British Nationality Act 1981 (effective 01 January 1983) a female born in the UK could not automatically pass on citizenship to her children.

On 7 Feb 1979 the government announced that a new Nationality Act would be introduced on 01 Jan 1983 allowing all children born on or after this date to claim citizenship automatically from a mother born in the UK.

However, the Act would not be retroactive and children born before the effective date would not benefit. In the meantime, a mother could apply for any child who was still a minor (under 18) to be registered as a British citizen at the discretion of the Secretary of State.

Many British women resident overseas were unaware of the announcement in 1979 and missed the opportunity to apply for citizenship on behalf of their minor children. Consequently, an amendment to the British Nationality Act 1981 has now been put into effect allowing all persons who would have been under 18 on the date of the announcement (7 Feb 1979) to register now.

All those born overseas to a British mother between 7 February 1961 and 31 December 1982 are now eligible to register as British citizens retroactively. See British Citizenship for forms and fees.

Those persons not born between the relevant dates cannot apply for registration. But, a commonwealth citizen with a mother born in the UK may have the right of abode and can apply for a Certificate of Entitlement allowing entry into the UK for work and residence purposes. Information can be found on the Immigration/Visa pages of this web-site.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1337Delta764, aerlingus747, Baidu [Spider], Dutchy, Tugger, tupperjets and 46 guests

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos