klm672

Ideas For A Wedding Toast

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:25 pm

So i've been racking my brain trying to think of something to say at my uncle's and my neighbor's wedding. I am very honored to be chosen to give the wedding toast, but I can't find anything to say. I searched google (even my neighbor asked if I did, I asked her if she wouldn't be offended. she said as long as you put our names in it.") I couldn't find anything good, so I thought I would drop a topic here on a.net and see if anyone has any ideas. Something short and to the point.
Thank you.

KROC

RE: Ideas For A Wedding Toast

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:28 pm

If you're honored to give the wedding toast, then the least you can do is come up with something original all on your own.

A332

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:28 pm

"Can you at least TRY to make this thing last... I mean, how much money did you put into this thing anyway...?"

That would be a good place to start anyway.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

texan

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:35 am

My dad asked me to do the same at his wedding. Wasn't quite old enough to drive and hated speaking in public then, too, so I did something cheesy. I toasted some bread and gave it to each of them. I said something, but have no idea what. Good luck!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

EasternSon

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:04 am

Just don't say anything about the strippers at the bachelor party.

Make it from the heart, say some nice things about both of them individually, then about them as a couple. Thank them for sharing the day with everyone, wish them health and happiness and be done with it.

Don't go out on a limb. Humor, as demonstrated by my first statement, is very subjective.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

TNNH

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:45 am

"I think what my friend is trying to say is love is blind"

767Lover

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:00 am

Make sure you talk about both of them (the bride and groom) and don't make it about how great a guy your uncle is (or your neighbor, whichever is closer to you.)

Just went to a wedding where 4 of the 5 people who gave toasts were friends of the groom and the speeches were about what a great guy HE is, and very little mention of her, not because the people don't like her but because they really don't know her.

It would have been nicer if the toastmasters had pulled the bride into the speeches more --even if they didn't know her they could have said something like "I don't know Linda very well unfortunately, but I do see how happy she makes Andy and that makes me really happy. Andy told me she can beat him at golf too...even when she plays the men's tee."

IFEMaster

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:39 am

Here's what I toasted when I was best man at my friend's wedding last year:

"They say that women have their faults, but us men - well, we only have two faults. That's everything we say and everything we do. And even in the face of these problems and terrible anecdotes of mine, I sincerely wish them blessings, prosperity, and abundance in their new life together. [BRIDE] and [GROOM], may your love be modern enough to survive the times, yet old fashioned enough to survive forever."
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

adh214

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:50 am

Step 1: Explain how you know the bride or groom
Step 2: Tell a funny story about your relationship with the bride or groom (funny not trashy)
Step 3: Say something nice about the other spouse
Step 4: Say something about Love, Committment, etc.
Step 5: Wrap it up.

The key is to keep it brief. For example,

I met John on move in day back at State U. Through the years, we have had many adventures. Jane never let him read the train schedules in Paris. You might end of up Amsterdam instead of Nice. Now Jane is a wonderful woman and I could not have found a better match for John. May the love you share endure through good times, bad times and misread train schedules.

Ok it is not the greatest example but your get the idea.

Andrew

atrude777

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 3):
My dad asked me to do the same at his wedding. Wasn't quite old enough to drive and hated speaking in public then, too, so I did something cheesy. I toasted some bread and gave it to each of them. I said something, but have no idea what. Good luck!

You sound like Jesus  Silly

was it something along "this is my body, take this in rememberance of me" Silly

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

jcs17

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:43 am

Talk about that one night when both of you had too much to drink and wandered across the border to Tijuana. That guy gave you those special pills, and the next thing you remember, you were mounting a midget with a donkey following in the rear.

Thats always good for a laugh.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

luv2fly

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:49 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 10):
Talk about that one night when both of you had too much to drink and wandered across the border to Tijuana. That guy gave you those special pills, and the next thing you remember, you were mounting a midget with a donkey following in the rear.

Thats always good for a laugh.

Why bring up the night your parents conceived you.
You can cut the irony with a knife

davestanKSAN

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:48 am

Like Owen Wilson said in Wedding Crashers, speak from the heart. One wedding I went to the best man gave a great speech and then he did this little thing, well it went something like this:

Bride place your hand on the table.
Now groom place your hand over your wifes hand, ever so gently
Now look deep into each others eyes with love
And groom enjoy this moment because it will be the last time
the last time you have the upper hand in this relationship

haha, kinda corny but it got some laughs. Just let it flow I guess. Good luck!

Cheers,
Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

EA CO AS

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:27 pm

It's sort of an old joke, but still funny:

While addressing the couple, who are probably gazing lovingly at each other:

"(BRIDE), take your new husband's hand."
"(GROOM), place your other hand over hers."
"Savor this moment (GROOM)...because it's the last time you'll have the upper hand in this relationship."  Wink
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

HAWK21M

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:07 pm

Speak from the Heart.Talk about the Nice things.Let people hear & believe you.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)