joness0154

The Tour De France Thread

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:56 am

Just thought I'd make one since the race is coming down to the end. It's one of the craziest tours I have ever seen.

3 more stages left.....and I'm a huge Floyd fan (it helps that my mom is prez of Phonak, heh). He made an amazing comeback today!

Anyone else watching the Tour?
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

oli80

RE: The Tour De France Thread

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting Joness0154 (Thread starter):
Anyone else watching the Tour?

Yup, sure am!

He made an amazing comeback today!

Well, nearly amazing. Amazing would have been back in yellow.  Wink He is still around 30 seconds off.

Just thought I'd make one since the race is coming down to the end

I was going to say that it is a bit late for a thread like this.  Wink

Queso

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:04 am

The only interesting thing that has happened with Le Tour this year is that Lance rode up Alpe D' Huez.

joness0154

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 2):

The only interesting thing that has happened with Le Tour this year is that Lance rode up Alpe D' Huez.

Huh? Have you been watching the Tour at all this year? This Tour has had so many twists and turns that it hasn't been decided who is even gonna win it yet, while the past few years it was pretty much decided by now.

Floyd Landis is going to be come the next American hero when he pulls of this Tour win. Just watch....

Queso

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 3):
This Tour has had so many twists and turns that it hasn't been decided who is even gonna win it yet, while the past few years it was pretty much decided by now.

Yeah, that's why it hasn't been interesting. It was more fun to see "if Lance could do it again"!

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:47 am

I don't really watch Tour De France, but I did see it yesterday when that danish guy won the mountain etape though. Michael Rasmussen is his name, right?

oli80

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 5):
Michael Rasmussen is his name, right

Sure was, for the Rabobank team. Big grin

Quoting Queso (Reply 4):
Yeah, that's why it hasn't been interesting

This is a joke, right?!

Lucky for me, the tour is starting in London next year and goes right passed my front door!! WOOHOO!! Have applied to be a marshall so hopefully will get it.

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:32 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 6):
Sure was, for the Rabobank team.

How many teams are there? lol

bhmbaglock

Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:04 pm

3 more stages left.....and I'm a huge Floyd fan (it helps that my mom is prez of Phonak, heh). He made an amazing comeback today!

Absolutely amazing. Tomorrow will be a boring spin in the park but Saturday for the Time Trial should be awesome. I think Floyd has a great chance of taking yellow then and that will be that.

Anybody else catch the crash earlier this week that took two riders out? One broken collarbone and a broken leg IIRC. First guy layed his bike down in the gravel on a turn and the second got pinned between the wreckage and the guardrail and went over his handlebars and the guardrail. Hurt just to watch it!
Where are all of my respected members going?

joness0154

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:18 pm

I'm looking forward to the Praying Landis on sat  Smile

2H4

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 4):
Yeah, that's why it hasn't been interesting. It was more fun to see "if Lance could do it again"!

Are you serious? Lance's domination made the race significantly less interesting, as the odds were always so heavily in his favor.

3 more stages left

....and really, only one that will be of any significance...the time trial. Consider this:

• Floyd is only 30 seconds behind the current leader (Pereiro).
  • The next person behind Floyd (Klöden) is two minutes behind him.
  • Although the first TT was nowhere near as technical as the upcoming TT on Saturday, Floyd put 43 seconds on Klöden in that first one, and over a minute on Sastre and Pereiro....even after suffering a flat.

Barring any accidents or mechanicals, I'd say Floyd will likely be wearing yellow on Sunday evening. I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed, if only to stick another US winner to Leblanc...  mischievous 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

joness0154

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):
Are you serious? Lance's domination made the race significantly less interesting, as the odds were always so heavily in his favor.

bigthumbsup 

Dougloid

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 8):
Anybody else catch the crash earlier this week that took two riders out? One broken collarbone and a broken leg IIRC. First guy layed his bike down in the gravel on a turn and the second got pinned between the wreckage and the guardrail and went over his handlebars and the guardrail. Hurt just to watch it!

There were three. Kessler went over the guardrails and into the timber and climbed up, got another bike and got back in the race. Dessels (?) did the same thing yesterday-he wiped out on that long, blazing fast descent out of the alps, into the timber in a cloud of dust, them comes out covered with mud, dirt, twigs and dead birds and climbs back on his cycle and then off-finished quite well too.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):

Quoting Queso (Reply 4):

Absolutely right. I think this tour started with a lot of guys and teams that we never paid a lot of attention to saying "Hell! We can win this sonuvabitch!" Then, when the two favored competitors were taken out and Vinokurov lost his place because he didn't have a team any more...then maybe a lot of guys really started thinking win, rather than place or show.

The Armstrong and Team Discovery dynasty has ended. At least for now. Competition is good for professional sport.

I'd probably give a bit to hear the team meeting that took place after Landis cracked.....that must have been something. Look what they've managed to do with Phonak.
Great stuff-I'm going nowhere tomorrow am.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn