LeonB1985
Topic Author

Israel Bomb 'kills UN Observers'

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:12 am

"Four United Nations peacekeepers have been killed in an Israeli air strike on an observation post in southern Lebanon, the UN has said." See here for more.

I really do hope this whole situation can be sorted without so many deaths, but it's not looking hopeful...
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

Sonic99

RE: Israel Bomb 'kills UN Observers'

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:16 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5215366.stm

According to this BBC report the IDF bombed a UN outpost in which 4 unarmed UN observers were killed.

The sequence of events as reported on BBC News as follows:
- the outpost was shelled by IDF artillery 14 times today
- The unarmed UN observers (from Austria, Canada, China and Finland) sought shelter in the outpost which was bombed by Israeli aircraft
- Following the destruction of the outpost, Indian observers from UNFIL (UN Interim Force Lebanon) rushed to the outpost to provide aid and while clearing the rubble they were shelled and bombed themselves. They managed to retreat to their base in southern Lebanon.
- The UN filed a strong condemnation of Israel's war on Lebanon. Kofi Annan calls the attack deliberate

[Edited 2006-07-26 00:19:21]

rolfen

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:46 am

Yes, and the BBC speaker also reported that another UN worker lay dead with his family under the rubble of their own house for one week now, and that the UN hasnt been able to send a rescue mission yet because they are still waiting for the clearance of the israeli army.

These, he said "should bring home the random nature of the israeli bombings"

[Edited 2006-07-26 00:56:16]
rolf

aloges

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting Sonic99 (Reply 1):
According to this BBC report the IDF bombed a UN outpost in which 4 unarmed UN observers were killed.

The sequence of events as reported on BBC News as follows:
- the outpost was shelled by IDF artillery 14 times today
- The unarmed UN observers (from Austria, Canada, China and Finland) sought shelter in the outpost which was bombed by Israeli aircraft

That's the bit I heard/watched on BBC World.

I can't help but think the Olmert government has gone totally berserk and is doing everything to get everyone who might report on the war out of southern Lebanon, for reasons I want to think about even less. Israel deserves a better government; even Sharon turned out to be less of a "hawk" in his later days.

Still, all this insanity (from both sides) is far too much to comprehend. Lebanon was on a good way, and now it's being thrown back right to the state of war it escaped from some 15 years ago.

I read a very pessimistic essay written by a Lebanese professor (?) which I can't seem to find anymore, basically he sang his requiem to Lebanon and made the highly cynical proposal of renting out his home country as what it has been for so long anyway - a warzone for other countries. If any two countries wanted to start a war, they could use Lebanon for it while the Lebanese population would go live in those two countries for the duration of the war. It's sad and cynical that he actually has a point.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

gkirk

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:01 am

If this is true, then I hope the US/UK have their airforces alert to stop these Israeli attacks.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

TheSorcerer

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 4):
If this is true, then I hope the US/UK have their airforces alert to stop these Israeli attacks.

What are the chances of that though?

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

aloges

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 5):

Rhetorical question?

BradWray

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 4):

The US are supplying Isreal with the wepons they are using to kill so they are not going to stop them using something they have given them!

Bradley! Big grin
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

rolfen

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
I read a very pessimistic essay written by a Lebanese professor (?) which I can't seem to find anymore, basically he sang his requiem to Lebanon

Not a requiem here, but an eulogy by Robert Fisk, british reporter for BBC - if I'm correct.

Paradise Lost: Robert Fisk's elegy for Beirut
Elegant buildings lie in ruins. The heady scent of gardenias gives way to the acrid stench of bombed-out oil installations. And everywhere terrified people are scrambling to get out of a city that seems tragically doomed to chaos and destruction. As Beirut - 'the Paris of the East' - is defiled yet again, Robert Fisk, a resident for 30 years, asks: how much more punishment can it take?
Published: 19 July 2006
In the year 551, the magnificent, wealthy city of Berytus - headquarters of the imperial East Mediterranean Roman fleet - was struck by a massive earthquake. In its aftermath, the sea withdrew several miles and the survivors - ancestors of the present-day Lebanese - walked out on the sands to loot the long-sunken merchant ships revealed in front of them.
That was when a tidal wall higher than a tsunami returned to swamp the city and kill them all. So savagely was the old Beirut damaged that the Emperor Justinian sent gold from Constantinople as compensation to every family left alive.
Some cities seem forever doomed. When the Crusaders arrived at Beirut on their way to Jerusalem in the 11th century, they slaughtered every man, woman and child in the city. In the First World War, Ottoman Beirut suffered a terrible famine; the Turkish army had commandeered all the grain and the Allied powers blockaded the coast. I still have some ancient postcards I bought here 30 years ago of stick-like children standing in an orphanage, naked and abandoned.
An American woman living in Beirut in 1916 described how she "passed women and children lying by the roadside with closed eyes and ghastly, pale faces. It was a common thing to find people searching the garbage heaps for orange peel, old bones or other refuse, and eating them greedily when found. Everywhere women could be seen seeking eatable weeds among the grass along the roads..."
How does this happen to Beirut? For 30 years, I've watched this place die and then rise from the grave and then die again, its apartment blocks pitted with so many bullets they looked like Irish lace, its people massacring each other.
I lived here through 15 years of civil war that took 150,000 lives, and two Israeli invasions and years of Israeli bombardments that cost the lives of a further 20,000 of its people. I have seen them armless, legless, headless, knifed, bombed and splashed across the walls of houses. Yet they are a fine, educated, moral people whose generosity amazes every foreigner, whose gentleness puts any Westerner to shame, and whose suffering we almost always ignore.
They look like us, the people of Beirut. They have light-coloured skin and speak beautiful English and French. They travel the world. Their women are gorgeous and their food exquisite. But what are we saying of their fate today as the Israelis - in some of their cruellest attacks on this city and the surrounding countryside - tear them from their homes, bomb them on river bridges, cut them off from food and water and electricity? We say that they started this latest war, and we compare their appalling casualties - 240 in all of Lebanon by last night - with Israel's 24 dead, as if the figures are the same.
And then, most disgraceful of all, we leave the Lebanese to their fate like a diseased people and spend our time evacuating our precious foreigners while tut-tutting about Israel's "disproportionate" response to the capture of its soldiers by Hizbollah.
I walked through the deserted city centre of Beirut yesterday and it reminded more than ever of a film lot, a place of dreams too beautiful to last, a phoenix from the ashes of civil war whose plumage was so brightly coloured that it blinded its own people. This part of the city - once a Dresden of ruins - was rebuilt by Rafiq Hariri, the prime minister who was murdered scarcely a mile away on 14 February last year.
The wreckage of that bomb blast, an awful precursor to the present war in which his inheritance is being vandalised by the Israelis, still stands beside the Mediterranean, waiting for the last UN investigator to look for clues to the assassination - an investigator who has long ago abandoned this besieged city for the safety of Cyprus.
At the empty Etoile restaurant - best snails and cappuccino in Beirut, where Hariri once dined Jacques Chirac - I sat on the pavement and watched the parliamentary guard still patrolling the facade of the French-built emporium that houses what is left of Lebanon's democracy. So many of these streets were built by Parisians under the French mandate and they have been exquisitely restored, their mock Arabian doorways bejewelled with marble Roman columns dug from the ancient Via Maxima a few metres away.
Hariri loved this place and, taking Chirac for a beer one day, he caught sight of me sitting at a table. "Ah Robert, come over here," he roared and then turned to Chirac like a cat that was about to eat a canary. "I want to introduce you, Jacques, to the reporter who said I couldn't rebuild Beirut!"
And now it is being un-built. The Martyr Rafiq Hariri International Airport has been attacked three times by the Israelis, its glistening halls and shopping malls vibrating to the missiles that thunder into the runways and fuel depots. Hariri's wonderful transnational highway viaduct has been broken by Israeli bombers. Most of his motorway bridges have been destroyed. The Roman-style lighthouse has been smashed by a missile from an Apache helicopter. Only this small jewel of a restaurant in the centre of Beirut has been spared. So far.
It is the slums of Haret Hreik and Ghobeiri and Shiyah that have been levelled and "rubble-ised" and pounded to dust, sending a quarter of a million Shia Muslims to seek sanctuary in schools and abandoned parks across the city. Here, indeed, was the headquarters of Hizbollah, another of those "centres of world terror" which the West keeps discovering in Muslim lands. Here lived Sayed Hassan Nasrallah, the Party of God's leader, a ruthless, caustic, calculating man; and Sayad Mohamed Fadlallah, among the wisest and most eloquent of clerics; and many of Hizbollah's top military planners - including, no doubt, the men who planned over many months the capture of the two Israeli soldiers last Wednesday.
But did the tens of thousands of poor who live here deserve this act of mass punishment? For a country that boasts of its pin-point accuracy - a doubtful notion in any case, but that's not the issue - what does this act of destruction tell us about Israel? Or about ourselves?
In a modern building in an undamaged part of Beirut, I come, quite by chance, across a well known and prominent Hizbollah figure, open-neck white shirt, dark suit, clean shoes. "We will go on if we have to for days or weeks or months or..." And he counts these awful statistics off on the fingers of his left hand. "Believe me, we have bigger surprises still to come for the Israelis - much bigger, you will see. Then we will get our prisoners and it will take just a few small concessions."
I walk outside, feeling as if I have been beaten over the head. Over the wall opposite there is purple bougainvillaea and white jasmine and a swamp of gardenias. The Lebanese love flowers, their colour and scent, and Beirut is draped in trees and bushes that smell like paradise.
As for the huddled masses from the powder of the bombed-out southern slums of Haret Hreik, I found hundreds of them yesterday, sitting under trees and lying on the parched grass beside an ancient fountain donated to the city of Beirut by the Ottoman Sultan Abdul-Hamid. How empires fall.
Far away, across the Mediterranean, two American helicopters from the USS Iwo Jima could be seen, heading through the mist and smoke towards the US embassy bunker complex at Awkar to evacuate more citizens of the American Empire. There was not a word from that same empire to help the people lying in the park, to offer them food or medical aid.
And across them all has spread a dark grey smoke that works its way through the entire city, the fires of oil terminals and burning buildings turning into a cocktail of sulphurous air that moves below our doors and through our windows. I smell it when I wake in the morning. Half the people of Beirut are coughing in this filth, breathing their own destruction as they contemplate their dead.
The anger that any human soul should feel at such suffering and loss was expressed so well by Lebanon's greatest poet, the mystic Khalil Gibran, when he wrote of the half million Lebanese who died in the 1916 famine, most of them residents of Beirut:
My people died of hunger, and he who
Did not perish from starvation was
Butchered with the sword;
They perished from hunger
In a land rich with milk and honey.
They died because the vipers and
Sons of vipers spat out poison into
The space where the Holy Cedars and
The roses and the jasmine breathe
Their fragrance.
And the sword continues to cut its way through Beirut. When part of an aircraft - perhaps the wing-tip of an F-16 hit by a missile, although the Israelis deny this - came streaking out of the sky over the eastern suburbs at the weekend, I raced to the scene to find a partly decapitated driver in his car and three Lebanese soldiers from the army's logistics unit. These are the tough, brave non-combat soldiers of Kfar Chim, who have been mending power and water lines these past six days to keep Beirut alive.
I knew one of them. "Hello Robert, be quick because I think the Israelis will bomb again but we'll show you everything we can." And they took me through the fires to show me what they could of the wreckage, standing around me to protect me.
And a few hours later, the Israelis did come back, as the men of the small logistics unit were going to bed, and they bombed the barracks and killed 10 soldiers, including those three kind men who looked after me amid the fires of Kfar Chim.
And why? Be sure - the Israelis know what they are hitting. That's why they killed nine soldiers near Tripoli when they bombed the military radio antennas. But a logistics unit? Men whose sole job was to mend electricity lines? And then it dawns on me. Beirut is to die. It is to be starved of electricity now that the power station in Jiyeh is on fire. No one is to be allowed to keep Beirut alive. So those poor men had to be liquidated.
Beirutis are tough people and are not easily moved. But at the end of last week, many of them were overcome by a photograph in their daily papers of a small girl, discarded like a broken flower in a field near Ter Harfa, her feet curled up, her hand resting on her torn blue pyjamas, her eyes - beneath long, soft hair - closed, turned away from the camera. She had been another "terrorist" target of Israel and several people, myself among them, saw a frightening similarity between this picture and the photograph of a Polish girl lying dead in a field beside her weeping sister in 1939.
I go home and flick through my files, old pictures of the Israeli invasion of 1982. There are more photographs of dead children, of broken bridges. "Israelis Threaten to Storm Beirut", says one headline. "Israelis Retaliate". "Lebanon At War". "Beirut Under Siege". "Massacre at Sabra and Chatila".
Yes, how easily we forget these earlier slaughters. Up to 1,700 Palestinians were butchered at Sabra and Chatila by Israel's proxy Christian militia allies in September of 1982 while Israeli troops - as they later testified to Israel's own court of inquiry - watched the killings. I was there. I stopped counting the corpses when I reached 100. Many of the women had been raped before being knifed or shot.
Yet when I was fleeing the bombing of Ghobeiri with my driver Abed last week, we swept right past the entrance of the camp, the very spot where I saw the first murdered Palestinians. And we did not think of them. We did not remember them. They were dead in Beirut and we were trying to stay alive in Beirut, as I have been trying to stay alive here for 30 years.
I am back on the sea coast when my mobile phone rings. It is an Israeli woman calling me from the United States, the author of a fine novel about the Palestinians. "Robert, please take care," she says. "I am so, so sorry about what is being done to the Lebanese. It is unforgivable. I pray for the Lebanese people, and the Palestinians, and the Israelis." I thank her for her thoughtfulness and the graceful, generous way she condemned this slaughter.
Then, on my balcony - a glance to check the location of the Israeli gunboat far out in the sea-smog - I find older clippings. This is from an English paper in 1840, when Beirut was a great Ottoman city. "Beyrouth" was the dateline. "Anarchy is now the order of the day, our properties and personal safety are endangered, no satisfaction can be obtained, and crimes are committed with impunity. Several Europeans have quitted their houses and suspended their affairs, in order to find protection in more peaceable countries."
On my dining-room wall, I remember, there is a hand-painted lithograph of French troops arriving in Beirut in 1842 to protect the Christian Maronites from the Druze. They are camping in the Jardin des Pins, which will later become the site of the French embassy where, only a few hours ago, I saw French men and women registering for their evacuation. And outside the window, I hear again the whisper of Israeli jets, hidden behind the smoke that now drifts 20 miles out to sea.
Fairouz, the most popular of Lebanese singers, was to have performed at this year's Baalbek festival, cancelled now like all Lebanon's festivals of music, dance, theatre and painting. One of her most popular songs is dedicated to her native city:
To Beirut - peace to Beirut with all my heart
And kisses - to the sea and clouds,
To the rock of a city that looks like an old sailor's face.
From the soul of her people she makes wine,
From their sweat, she makes bread and jasmine.
So how did it come to taste of smoke and fire?
rolf

BCNGRO

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:32 am

The UN observers were Austrian, Canadian, Chinese and Finnish nationals. According to UN sources the attack was "apparently deliberate".

Now I wonder what will be the response from those countries but I guess it will be severe as this looks like a very serious issue to me...

[Edited 2006-07-26 01:33:00]
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

aloges

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 8):
Not a requiem here,

Just FYI, the essay I read was called "Rent a Warzone".

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 9):
I guess it will be severe

Severe? Like calling Olmert and telling him his military is being naughty?

[Edited 2006-07-26 01:38:00]

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:36 am

An Israeli official was just on CNN calling Annan on the carpet for his statement, and saying it could have been Hezbollah. I sat there in disbelief. Since when did Hezbollah get aerial bombardment capability?
International Homo of Mystery

aloges

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:41 am

Westicles, I think he was saying the UN post could have been a Hezbollah post. "Military intelligence" at its best; I'm pretty sure Israel was briefed very cautiously on the locations of UN posts.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):
it could have been Hezbollah.

Just what everyone expected to hear - everything that's been bombed in Lebanon "could have been Hezbollah". "Oops, it was an ambulance... BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN HEZBOLLAH! YOU SUPPORT TERRORISTS!" That's just as insane as Hezbollah itself.

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 12):
I think he was saying the UN post could have been a Hezbollah post.

I think he was saying that Hezbollah did the attack on the UN post, not Israel. He was pretty pissed off, so it was hard to make it out, but even Wolf Blitzer was standing there with his jaw on the floor.

aloges

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 13):
I think he was saying that Hezbollah did the attack on the UN post, not Israel.

Well, you saw it on TV so you have the better perspective on this particular report.

Sonic99

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:48 am

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 9):
Now I wonder what will be the response from those countries but I guess it will be severe as this looks like a very serious issue to me...

Well, the Prime Minister of Canada (Stephen Harper) stated that he unconditionally supports Israel and thinks that their response is "measured". Even after the 8 Canadians were killed by an Israeli airstrike last week, he (Mr. Harper) refuses to change his stance towards Israel.

That's causing a BIG, BIG problem for many Canadians as they DO NOT like any Prime Minister to take sides like this in a conflict in any way.

Fortunately for Canadians, Mr. Harper leads a minority government which may fall (perhaps due to his weird foreign policy) once Parliament reconvenes following the summer break.

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:09 am

Just to update, at the top of the hour Wolf Blitzer gave a summary of his interview from a few minutes ago. It was the Israeli Ambassador to the U.S. who "angrily" called U.N. Sec. Genl. Koffi Annan "deplorable" for his statement blaming the deaths of the U.N. observers on Israel.

I'm sure we'll hear more on this shortly.

jacobin777

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):

I can't help but think the Olmert government has gone totally berserk and is doing everything to get everyone who might report on the war out of southern Lebanon, for reasons I want to think about even less. Israel deserves a better government; even Sharon turned out to be less of a "hawk" in his later days.

It was his govt. which said they want to "turn back the clock 20 years" for Lebanon...looks like they are achieving this..

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 5):

.01%

Quoting Sonic99 (Reply 15):
Well, the Prime Minister of Canada (Stephen Harper) stated that he unconditionally supports Israel and thinks that their response is "measured". Even after the 8 Canadians were killed by an Israeli airstrike last week, he (Mr. Harper) refuses to change his stance towards Israel.

Maybe that jerk-off should send his family off to Lebanon....we'll see what his reactions are then.....

But this isn't anything new by the Israeli Government...they have been targeting innocent Palestinians for years....

as well as....potentially using cluster bombs as well as phosphorus-laced bombs..if true, then they are a sad pathetic excuse for human beings...
"Up the Irons!"

clipperhawaii

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:37 am

Koffi Annan has the audacity to say that this regrettable attack on U.N. peacekeepers was intentional.

It's always Israel's fault right Kofi?

What a disgrace the head of the U.N. has become. Powerless and impotent.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

rolfen

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:42 am

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 18):
Koffi Annan has the audacity to say that this regrettable attack on U.N. peacekeepers was intentional.

israel also bombed a UN refuge in 1997, killing about 100 refugees.
A UN investigation concluded that the shelling could not have been a technical error. An amnesty report came out with a similar conclusion.

You can look it in wikipedia under "Qana shelling"

There were reports of 2-3 hezbollah fighters hiding in there, but still.. that's not a valid reason to shell and UN refuge.

[Edited 2006-07-26 03:45:14]
rolf

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:45 am

Aren't you doing the exact same thing you're accusing another of doing? Drawing conclusions before all the facts are in?

It appears so. I know there's a word for that ::snap fingers:: but it escapes me at the moment. Right on the tip of my tongue it is, too.

fspilot747

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 4):

Are you kidding me? We are Israel's bitch! We're whores, man. They run this show, not us. Hell will exist and then freeze over before that happens.

FSP

QANTAS077

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:55 am

how the hell can you say that? 14 shells were dropped on the post, if it was 1 you could claim an accident, 14...seriously, what planet are you on? It's either deliberate or the IDF has some very, incompetent people among it's forces...take your pick.

in this case yes.

if the US stopped vetoing everything then maybe the UN would be more effective.

"This coordinated artillery and aerial attack on a long-established and clearly marked U.N. post at Khiyam occurred despite personal assurances given to me by Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that U.N. positions would be spared Israeli fire," he said in a statement.

"Furthermore, General Alain Pelligrini, the U.N. force commander in south Lebanon, had been in repeated contact with Israeli officers throughout the day on Tuesday, stressing the need to protect that particular U.N. position from attack."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/25/mideast.main/index.html

rolfen

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:02 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 21):

Are you kidding me? We are Israel's bitch! We're whores, man. They run this show, not us. Hell will exist and then freeze over before that happens.

Well the US gives to israel billions of $ of aid (military and financial).
rolf

rjpieces

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:07 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 21):

You keep saying this in thread after thread but don't back it up with anything. It is much easier to say the above crap than deal with the difficult, real, serious issues involved here......
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

jcs17

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:23 am

Apparently, the Israeli's didn't offer Kofi enough money under the table to keep quiet.  Yeah sure
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

qr332

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:57 am

Not a requiem here, but an eulogy by Robert Fisk, british reporter for BBC - if I'm correct.

Amazingly written article... I love Robert Fisk's articles, and agree with many of his view - I think he writes for the Guardian, though.

And in response, there was a huge protest against Harper and Israel in Toronto on Saturday - AFAIK many others have been planned as well.

OK, this might seem like a stupid question, but if it was Israel who bombed them, who else could be at fault?

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 24):
You keep saying this in thread after thread but don't back it up with anything. It is much easier to say the above crap than deal with the difficult, real, serious issues involved here......

Actions speak louder than words...
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Falcon84

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:07 pm

Since when is Kofi Annan an expert on air raids or bombings?

I didn't know he had so much knowledge.

On another front, don't you just love the lynch-mob mentality of those who support the terrorists on here? Anytime Hezbollah bombs an Israeli city, killling someone you hear.......................................

Nothing.

But if anyone dies in an Israeli attack, it's open season.

Well, the good news is that for those of us who are smart enough not to swallow the propoganda of groups like Hezbollah, Israel has taken strong action to keep itself safer from those scumbags.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AGM100

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 20):

Actually I am very glad about this , can you imagine that group actually having power.
Why doesnt the UN go to Sudan and fix that other nightmare?? Or Maybe go help Somalia ? Or is it to Rowandaiiiiiish ..

One thing for sure they should get the hell out of SL and soon. Unless they are rolling in with some gear ... thats it.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:44 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 28):

I did not write what was attributed to me in Reply #28.

BA

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:49 pm

Not a requiem here, but an eulogy by Robert Fisk

Excellent article, thank you. I love Robert Fisk's articles.

Quoting QR332 (Reply 26):
I think he writes for the Guardian, though.

He writes for the Independent.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

levent

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:53 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 27):
On another front, don't you just love the lynch-mob mentality of those who support the terrorists on here? Anytime Hezbollah bombs an Israeli city, killling someone you hear.......................................

Nothing.

But if anyone dies in an Israeli attack, it's open season.

That's a ridiculous statement and you know it. The issue discussed in this thread is not the Israeli attacks on civilians in Lebanon nor the Hezbollah attacks on civilians in Israel, it's about Israel (i.e. the IDF) attacking UN posts of which I am 100% sure they know the locations perfectly well.

We're not talking about some backward militia firing away here, Israel has one of the most technologically advanced military forces in the world.

a380

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:58 pm

Good job Stephen Harper!
That's what Israel rewarded Canada for unconditionedly supporting Israel.  Wink

BA

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:58 pm

Annan is pissed...

A crisis in the U.N. is brewing following charges by the Kofi Annan that Israel 'deliberately' attacked a UNIFIL post, killing four. Israel's ambassador was "shocked' at Annan's accusations.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=108378
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

bravo45

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting Sonic99 (Reply 1):

I bet these UN observers were helping Hezbollah.  Yeah sure

NAV20

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:00 pm

Since when is Kofi Annan an expert on air raids or bombings?

Annan will have had a report from the commander of the UN forces.

Quoting QR332 (Reply 26):
if it was Israel who bombed them, who else could be at fault?

Dead right.

I'm no expert, but part of my otherwise misspent youth entailed messing about with fieldguns - specifically plotting, spotting, and helping to direct fire. People seem to misunderstand how armies work - everything that goes on is meticulously logged; how many rounds were expended, what the target was, where the shells actually landed, what their effect was.....

What infuriates me most about the Israeli propaganda machine is that in every case of this sort they just parrot "We are investigating..." That is invariably a lie; they will know better than anyone WHAT happened; and, even more important, WHY it happened. But they will never say, and unfortunately no-one (least of all the UN, in face of the US veto) will ever be able to make them.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

Sonic99

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:01 pm

Nothing.

Ah there he is - welcome to the discussion!  wave 

Oh yeah. Falcon - look.... a critique of Israel's policy DOES NOT mean an automatic appreciation of or sympathy for Hezbollah - does that sink in at all? Or are you just implying that Israel is beyond reproach?

AGM100

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:08 pm

Quoting Levent (Reply 31):
We're not talking about some backward militia firing away here, Israel has one of the most technologically advanced military forces in the world.

The situation on the ground in SL has changed from a search and destroy air campaign to a close air support operation. Troops on the ground facing the enemy , require air support. Mis-identification Mistakes are made in this type of enviroment. No one here can honestly believe that Israeli C & C would give the order to take out a UN outpost?? Please can there not be anyone here who would think that ...
 pray   expressionless 
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

NAV20

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 38):
No one here can honestly believe that Israeli C & C would give the order to take out a UN outpost?? Please can there not be anyone here who would think that ...

I don't know whether it was the C-in-C or not, AGM100. But I'm sure in my own mind that SOMEONE gave the order.

According to our radio, the UN post had been there for years, it was clearly signed-up, and is marked on all the maps.

And, as I explained above, fourteen rounds don't get fired by accident, or fired at random. One 'rogue' charge causing a single shell to drop short, maybe. But NOT fourteen of the things....
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

baroque

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:22 pm

Quoting BradWray (Reply 7):
The US are supplying Isreal with the wepons they are using to kill so they are not going to stop them using something they have given them!

"They and whose army" is a phrase that comes to mind. Let slip the dogs of war and cry "Havoc".

baroque

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:34 pm

A huge thanks for posting that. Some weeks ago, Fiskie was interviewed on our TV and there appeared to be something happening off-camera that made it appear he had lost it. Once The Independent closed its website to subs only, the rest of us can only get snippets of what he writes, so it is a relief to see that he is back at his best and at a time when the world has sore need of his skills and insight. I guess it is too late to campaign for Fisk to switch to The Guardian! He is too much of an institution at The Independent.

baroque

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):
An Israeli official was just on CNN calling Annan on the carpet for his statement, and saying it could have been Hezbollah. I sat there in disbelief. Since when did Hezbollah get aerial bombardment capability?

Just goes to prove that Ribbentrop and Comical Ali live on. It was a trifle amazing. Next thing is the UN staff will have bombed themselves in a misguided suicide attempt.

baroque

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:42 pm

Fortunately for Canadians, Mr. Harper leads a minority government which may fall (perhaps due to his weird foreign policy) once Parliament reconvenes following the summer break.

If he does, you would hope he is not the only leader to come a gutser over this mess. Interesting that Holy Tony seems to be trying to find reverse gear on his monocycle after one of his ministers was too appalled to follow the party line.

NAV20

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:13 pm

Looks as if the Israelis are trying to reduce the risk of shells and bombs going astray by using 'precision weapons'.

It must take terrific technology, or else superhuman marksmanship skills, to put a missile slap in the middle of the Red Cross on the roof of a moving ambulance.....

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...gels/2006/07/25/1153816182440.html

I reckon that picture says it all. And in case anyone thinks it was an accident, there were TWO ambulances, and they got them both.

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:25 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 44):
And in case anyone thinks it was an accident, there were TWO ambulances, and they got them both.

There are a lot of things I can understand about what's happening in Lebanon, but this isn't one of them.

I can understand blowing up the bank buildings where Hezbollah is receiving their funding, and I can understand blowing up where rocket launchers are sited, but blowing up Red Cross ambulances and U.N. outposts I don't understand.

clipperhawaii

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:54 pm

Annan says the attack was an "apparently deliberate targeting" of the UNIFIL post.

So Kofi, you have all the facts yourself at this point and it is "apparent" to you huh?

We now see Kofi's prejudice towards Israel. Now that's disgusting coming form a supposed diplomat.

Way to go Kofi, trying to help with the peace process. Time to shut up more like.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

scbriml

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:02 pm

don't you just love the lynch-mob mentality of those who support the terrorists on here?

Who exactly is supporting terrorists? Show me one post.

Falcon, do you really believe that criticism of Israel is tacit support of terrorism? That's as bad as those that think criticism of Israel is anti-semitic.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

OD720

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 46):
Annan says the attack was an "apparently deliberate targeting" of the UNIFIL post.

He probably got the report from the UNIFIL , who are on the ground monitoring the situation carefully.

They were the ones who confirmed that Maroun el-Ras was under Israeli control a few days ago, when Hezbollah were still denying it.

If you constantly follow news in Lebanon, they report every "Blue Line" violation from both sides.

baroque

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:44 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 45):
I can understand blowing up the bank buildings where Hezbollah is receiving their funding, and I can understand blowing up where rocket launchers are sited, but blowing up Red Cross ambulances and U.N. outposts I don't understand.

There is an explanation and I think Nav20 in reply 44 gave most of it. As to motives, ah, there it becomes slightly difficult. Short sighted is one of the kinder phrases that immediately comes to mind, but there are others.

tu204

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:14 pm

It really is a pity that some countries are headed by idiots that have no regard for the lives of it's own citizens. It truly is.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov