fumanchewd

Are German Maybach Tank Engines Same As The Car?

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:18 pm

Guttentag!

I was watching the military channel where they were rating the top tanks of all time. I happened to notice that the WWII German tank engines were Maybachs! Is there an association with the new Mercedes, or is it just a name?

http://www.vgdauto.com/press/Maybach/MybchFrntClosed.jpg
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

NoUFO

RE: Are German Maybach Tank Engines Same As The Ca

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:38 pm

Apparently it's the same company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maybach) only that their more classical automobiles looked a lot better.

Btw: I didn't know Maybach was founded by Mr Maybach Sen. and Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin. So Maybach first produced engines for Zeppelins. Behold.
I support the right to arm bears

fumanchewd

RE: Are German Maybach Tank Engines Same As The Car?

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:40 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 1):
Btw: I didn't know Maybach was founded by Mr Maybach Sen. and Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin. So Maybach first produced engines for Zeppelins. Behold.

Yeah I did a little research as well and was impressed with the history. I guess I was wondering if Maybach has been a productive company for the last 60 years that was purchased by Mercedes, or if it was just resurrected for the sake of the name.

petertenthije

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 2):
or if it was just resurrected for the sake of the name.

Merc has owned the Maybach since 1960 but not used it. In 1997 the Maybach was revealed at the Tokyo Motorshow thus resurrecting the brand.
Attamottamotta!

Andreas

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 3):
Merc has owned the Maybach since 1960 but not used it. In 1997 the Maybach was revealed at the Tokyo Motorshow thus resurrecting the brand.

Exactly: To be more precise, they own the brandname. So no, during WW2 Mercedes did NOT manufacture Tank engines under the Maybach name (they did a few other "smelly" things, though)
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

fumanchewd

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:12 pm

Has there been nothing substantial manufactured under the Maybach name since Mercedes has acquired them?

Andreas

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:15 pm

Nothing that I know of....it is indeed a very old and well-reputed name, Maybachs used to be cars for the "Hautevolee", which is basically the reason DCX used the name for its own Over-the-top-line. The idea came from Toyota, of course, calling their own topline Lexus. Obviously DCX thought there are people out there who find it offensive to fork out 200,000 and more for a mere Mercedes...and need another premium name. Well, not that many it seems  Wink!

When DCX came forward with this idea, most people, even car lovers said "Oh, THAT'S where the name went"...basically nobody knew, probably most Mercedes guys had forgotten either!

fumanchewd

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 6):
Obviously DCX thought there are people out there who find it offensive to fork out 200,000 and more for a mere Mercedes...and need another premium name. Well, not that many it seems

I live in a fairly affluent area and I've seen a half dozen over the last half year, so they must be doing ok.

Klaus

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:47 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 5):
Has there been nothing substantial manufactured under the Maybach name since Mercedes has acquired them?

Not as far as I know. The brand name was in their possession, but it was dormant until recently.

Andreas

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 7):
live in a fairly affluent area and I've seen a half dozen over the last half year, so they must be doing ok.

So do I, as a matter of fact, but that's not enough. Maybach is doing NOT too good, they use many cars for promotion (NYC-The Gates....Christo drove around Central park in a Maybach etc).

Main problem are, as usual with cars in that price range, fixed charges. You need a good margin to get a positive bottom line, only a few cars less sold, and you'll run into trouble.

Dougloid

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:08 am

The subject of tank engines is indeed an interesting one.

This is the Chrysler A57 which was 5 Chrysler flathead sixes (236 cid) geared to a common shaft.
I've heard the sound through straight pipes is to die for.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 768 File size: 162kb
Chrysler A57 courtesy of Paulsen
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

TheSunseeker

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:00 pm

BTW that very sexy looking car at the top,
is not an official Mercedes Benz Maybach!

Its a special modification, you cant order it at MB.
RSA: Dont drink and drive - take the train and get mugged