BradWray
Topic Author

British Passport: The Price Is Rising To £66

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:24 pm

The British Passport Service have announced that a British Passport will now cost £66 which will take it to being the second most expensive passport in the world, after Norway which costs £87 and above the US which costs £54.

The Passport Service claim that no profit has ever been made from the current price of £51 and they intend to keep that the same when the price rises in October.

The £51 is split between £14.51 on anti-fraud initiatives and the processing cost just £14.02. The rest of the funds go to support abroad passport control and passport delivery.

The extra £36 will go towards making the passports 'e-passports' which are promised to make life harder for terrorists and illegal immigrants. The 'e-passport' will be also known as 'Chip & Go' will contain a biometric chip which recognises the holders face trough intricate measurements.

As soon as this new technology is introduced to the pubic you will not receive the hi-tech passport until your old one is due for renewal which will mean that the biometric system will not be fully functional until 2016.

The Home Office say that this is a step forward in the security of Great Britain.

Bradley! Big grin
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

Speedbirdie

RE: British Passport: The Price Is Rising To £66

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:27 pm

Absoloute rubbish!
Spend the bloody money on exams for those who wish to be a British Citizen. I am fed up with people who have a british passport but dont speak a bloody word of the language! Make them sit exams, learn to write and speak a little english before they arrive.
Now that is money well spent.
Never give up..

fumanchewd

RE: British Passport: The Price Is Rising To �66

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:29 pm

The government is smart. Its not like its an elastic item.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

BradWray
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 1):
Absoloute rubbish!
Spend the bloody money on exams for those who wish to be a British Citizen. I am fed up with people who have a british passport but dont speak a bloody word of the language! Make them sit exams, learn to write and speak a little english before they arrive.

I couldnt agree more.

English immigration should work in the same way as the Australian immigration. On a points system depending on your personal atributes for example skills!

Bradley!

LO231

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting BradWray (Reply 3):
English immigration should work in the same way as the Australian immigration

If you want to stay in Belgium, you have to go to classes paid by government and learn at least one of the three official languages here..

Good system.

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

Aeroflot777

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:46 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 4):
If you want to stay in Belgium, you have to go to classes paid by government and learn at least one of the three official languages here..

Are you serious?? That's just brilliant! Thumbs up for Belgium!

Aeroflot777

bill142

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:48 pm

66 pound.. pffft.. Australian passports cost close to 80 pound or $193 for a standard adult passport.

RichardPrice

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:54 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 4):

Thats a great idea, the number of times Ive had a Dominos or similiar delivered and the driver could not speak english, communicated in grunts and waving - its dreadful.

Ive got nothing against them, but if they expect the British public to accept them more then they have to integrate themselves and that means learning the language.

kazzie

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:57 pm

I am fed up with people who have a british passport but dont speak a bloody word of the language! Make them sit exams, learn to write and speak a little english before they arrive.

Thank you,

to many time on check-in I have been handed a British passport then the holder cant speak a work of English....
Bazinga punk.

speedbirdcrew

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:05 pm

Absoloute rubbish!

If you were to take your head out of your copy of the Hate Mail for 5 seconds you would find out that this is actually already happening. It has been since late last year.

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

This test has to be completed before becoming a british citizen. It is in English (soon in Welsh, Gaelic, and Scottish(?))

If a candidates level of english isnt up to ESOL entry 3 they are required to take classes to learn english.

There is a test you can try on the BBC News website, I wonder how many British Citizens would actually pass it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4099770.stm

LO231

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:07 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 5):
Quoting LO231 (Reply 4):

Are you serious?? That's just brilliant! Thumbs up for Belgium!

I know! My boss is an Indian and brought a cook from India for his household. He never leaves the place, yet to get a work permit (not even nationality, just a work and stay permit for 5 years) he's forced to go to school twice a week to learn Flemish/Dutch...

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

BradWray
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:10 pm

Quoting Kazzie (Reply 8):
to many time on check-in I have been handed a British passport then the holder cant speak a work of English....
Good morning Kazzie ??

I have been on a flight from MAN to a European destination and there has been British passport holders on the flight who haven't been able to tell the F/A what they would like from the trolley and have had to point out the item in the magazine.

It is a joke but if the government were to put money into teaching immigrants English free of charge, the tax payers of the country would go mental and not shut up about it.
It is bad enough with everyone going on about immigrants getting free houses, cars and shopping vouchers. This is something that the hard working people of this country shouldn't get up in the morning for! ??

Bradley!

[Edited 2006-07-26 12:13:09]

QANTASforever

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:13 pm

I applaud the UK! Well done. Now, what you need to do is disallow the non-British grandchildren of British subjects from accessing UK citizenship and special working visas. THAT's how we fight the war on terror!

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Banco

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:15 pm

Quoting Speedbirdcrew (Reply 9):
It has been since late last year.

As has the citizenship ceremony - an excellent idea imported from the US. I know someone who went through it, and thought it was wonderful.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

speedbirdcrew

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:16 pm

I hope that you won't be teaching them how to speak english then.

Quoting BradWray (Reply 11):
It is bad enough with everyone going on about immigrants getting free houses, cars and shopping vouchers.

Can you provide me with any concrete examples of anyone being given a free car? As for the vouchers, try fleeing a war coming to somewhere safe being told you can't work and that you are going to be given vouchers to survive on not money but vouchers.

BradWray
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:29 pm

Quoting Speedbirdcrew (Reply 14):
Can you provide me with any concrete examples of anyone being given a free car?

I cannot give you any concrete example's because which site is going write a full article on an immigrant being given a car but there was a Pakistani family living in London, next door to a freind who got to know these immigrants and they boasted of how great and kind the goverment have, giving them an easy way of living with a free car and a house.

I have heard of many cases exactly the same as that from lots of diffrent people!

Tell me please, how a large family who have just immigrated away from their respective home country can come over to England, afford a house, a large family car, the funds to run a car and the extremely high price of living in the UK without a job...?

Bradley!

MYT332

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:30 pm

Will the fastrack fee go up at all? I had to go to Liverpool to sort my brothers out last year and that was £77.50 but done the same day.

I need to do the same this year but for both the brother and sister. Are we going to get ass raped in the process?
One Life, Live it.

BradWray
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 16):
I need to do the same this year but for both the brother and sister. Are we going to get ass raped in the process?

I dont know anything at this moment about the fastrack process prices, I presume that the price difference between the current passport and the e-passprt will be added.

If I was you I would apply for a new passport now by post as it is cheaper than the fastrack and the drive to Liverpool.

Bradley!

speedbirdcrew

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting BradWray (Reply 15):

When its all based on hearsay and the boasts of some guy i'm disinclined to believe it to be honest.

Whats to say that every single person who comes to this country does not work? Those who aren't allowed to are asylum seekers. Everyone who is here on the correct visa etc is allowed to work.

I'll admit I don't know the full ins and outs of the benefits system as I've never had to sign on. However if there are people who have managed to get that stuff do you really think they are in the majority, the majority of immigrants to this country are here to work and contribute to our economy pay tax towards the health service, eduction etc etc. I for one am glad that people want to come to this country as although there is a rather unfortunate attitude rising here spread by misinformation that all immigrants are asylum seekers who are living off the state that is simply not true.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:39 pm

And some complain in the USA as to what we pay for a Passport! At L66 (about = $122) that is way too expensive considering that you need a passport to leave the country to go anyplace, even to EC countries (except for Rep. of Ireland). Perhaps they want to discourage travel for some dumb reason or find some way to make money off issuing passports to subsidise the agency.

kazzie

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting Speedbirdcrew (Reply 14):
I hope that you won't be teaching them how to speak english then.

I can speak the damn language, Just the typing and spelling i cant  Wink
Bazinga punk.

nighthawk

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:42 pm

I renewed my passport at the start of the year. Strangely my parents renewed at the exact same time, yet my passport appears to be machine readable and theirs is not.

Looks like I got in before the price went up Big grin Should be a long time before I need a biometric one too, thank god.

kazzie

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:45 pm

Yeh the new British passport are crap..

They have a hard back page where the chip is, the pages are now blue with birds all over the place...
Bazinga punk.

MYT332

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:47 pm

Quoting Speedbirdcrew (Reply 18):
although there is a rather unfortunate attitude rising here spread by misinformation that all immigrants are asylum seekers who are living off the state that is simply not true.

To be sure!

Quoting Kazzie (Reply 20):
I can speak the damn language, Just the typing and spelling i cant

No you can't! You speak Hemel Hempsteadonian! One, Two, Free, Four....  Wink

Quoting BradWray (Reply 17):
If I was you I would apply for a new passport now by post as it is cheaper than the fastrack and the drive to Liverpool.

We can't afford to wait up to a month and Liverpool is only a 70mile round trip from my house.
One Life, Live it.

Banco

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:48 pm

Whats to say that every single person who comes to this country does not work? Those who aren't allowed to are asylum seekers. Everyone who is here on the correct visa etc is allowed to work

Like this poor lad. Ridiculous.

http://www.midsussextimes.co.uk/View...px?SectionID=516&ArticleID=1625802

BradWray
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:55 pm

When its all based on hearsay and the boasts of some guy i'm disinclined to believe it to be honest.

Whats to say that every single person who comes to this country does not work? Those who aren't allowed to are asylum seekers. Everyone who is here on the correct visa etc is allowed to work.

I'll admit I don't know the full ins and outs of the benefits system as I've never had to sign on. However if there are people who have managed to get that stuff do you really think they are in the majority, the majority of immigrants to this country are here to work and contribute to our economy pay tax towards the health service, eduction etc etc. I for one am glad that people want to come to this country as although there is a rather unfortunate attitude rising here spread by misinformation that all immigrants are asylum seekers who are living off the state that is simply not true.

It is all hear say but for those that do come straight over and get a job and lives in England like every other normal English citizen dose, fair play to them!

I dont know if it is a majority or a minority but Muslim citizens living in England have a 'task' to bring over family members and outnumber English citizens and turn this country into an home away from home.
Now before you say it, there IS concrete evidence on this. Muslim gangs have stated this on ITV, Sky and BBC news and I feel that if the immigration laws stay in the state that they are in, the anti-England Muslims will turn this country what they want.

Now I would like to clear this up:
-I am NOT racist!
-I am NOT against any ethnic groups or believes
-I am NOT against people from other religions, backgrounds, country or cultures living in this country!
-My concern is that I worry for the safety of our country from different people from all believes taking out terrorist acts just like the 7/7 bombers did and the 9/11 terrorists did in the US.
-I did not pick out the Muslim citizens as any kind of racial target it is just that the comments that were made which I have stated above were made by Muslims!

Bradley!

Banco

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:00 pm

Quoting BradWray (Reply 25):
It is all hear say but for those that do come straight over and get a job and lives in England like every other normal English citizen dose, fair play to them!

At the last survey, immigrants contributed more per capita to the national economy than the indigenous population.

It is, and always has been, a net benefit when people come into the country.

speedbirdcrew

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:18 pm

I dont know if it is a majority or a minority but Muslim citizens living in England have a 'task' to bring over family members and outnumber English citizens and turn this country into an home away from home.
Now before you say it, there IS concrete evidence on this. Muslim gangs have stated this on ITV, Sky and BBC news and I feel that if the immigration laws stay in the state that they are in, the anti-England Muslims will turn this country what they want.

I would say that is a very small minority. Its like the number of people who think that every single person who has immigrated to this country or is descended from immigrants should go back to wherever they descend from.

Those with the loudest voices are the ones that get heard however it doesn't mean that those people share the same views of all those within their community. There are many more people who choose not to make a big fuss but carry on with living a tolerant, happy life.

So what is your solution to this, how should the immigration laws be changed?

BradWray
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting Speedbirdcrew (Reply 27):
So what is your solution to this, how should the immigration laws be changed?

As you said, it is a very small minority. If more immigrants do come into England with the same thoughts of that minority then that 'small' minority will become bigger and bigger as the years go and as the immigrants keep pouring in.

So the way to stop the minority getting any bigger is to bring less immigrants into the country. Otherwise get rid of the people who are saying these things.
They have been all over the news in the past few years so it would not be hard to track them down!

Just like Sheikh Omar Bakri who has been banned from the UK!

Bradley! 

[Edited 2006-07-26 13:43:20]

Daleaholic

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Luckily for me I managed to get my 'Biometric' passport in June for £55 Big grin  Silly
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Manyqb

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting BradWray (Reply 28):
They have been all over the news in the past few years so it would not be hard to track them down!

Unless you have 'our' Home Office!!  Smile I wouldn't expect them to track anyone down... even if standing in front of them holding a sign saying I am an illegal immigrant. However, Immigration is a positive aspect to this country; though some aspects of it are perplexing and downright annoying, wading through myriads of immigration law to see if visa A or visa B best fits. Fortunately the proposals to change our system are coming through and we may end up with the points based system, moreso than present anyway. And yes I do have a vested interest in immigration, though if I had my way I would be emmigrating to Canada... but eh, what the G/f wants the GF gets...  Smile

paul
One good turn takes the cover...

TuRbUleNc3

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:38 am

Spot on! ,some have even said openly they come for the benefits as its an easy way to a better life.
Quoting Banco (Reply 26):
At the last survey, immigrants contributed more per capita to the national economy than the indigenous population.

Spot on!

It isnt ethnic minority anymore, its ethnic majority.

-I am NOT racist!
-I am NOT against any ethnic groups or believes
-I am NOT against people from other religions, backgrounds, country or cultures living in this country!
-My concern is that I worry for the safety of our country from different people from all believes taking out terrorist acts just like the 7/7 bombers did and the 9/11 terrorists did in the US.

Same as, i worry a lot about it too, especially all the news we had in the UK of them being found and things to make bombs.

Speaking of passports i like the new design, shame i just missed out on one before they came about. I've got the old style one now for quite a number of years  

[Edited 2006-07-26 20:40:34]

[Edited 2006-07-26 20:42:05]

L410Turbolet

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:49 am

What is the purpose of this biometric passport nonsense - other than jumping the bandwagon of American post-Sept.11 paranoia and opportunity for the govenment to squeeze even more money out of you. Anyone knows?

Sonic99

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 32):
What is the purpose of this biometric passport nonsense - other than jumping the bandwagon of American post-Sept.11 paranoia and opportunity for the govenment to squeeze even more money out of you. Anyone knows?

Well for one, it's still too easy to make dupes even with holographic images present or whatnot and some passports are simply a very convenient method for people (or foreign government agents) to slip in undetected.

Thus a passport with biometric features make it much more difficult to use to fool customs (who as someone here mentioned, don't even speak the language of the country they find themselves in - go figure).

Manyqb

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting Sonic99 (Reply 33):
who as someone here mentioned, don't even speak the language of the country they find themselves in

Actually, this is a certainly true of some of the bus drivers now where I live. Legal Polish immigrants are driving many of the local company's routes but without speaking much English. There are some interesting 'conversations' with them in trying to explain the destination, particularly some of the older people who have a strong Lancashire/Rochdalian accent. I do believe that people should learn enough of the language of the place that they are living. When I am in Quebec, I try and speak French. In the Netherlands... actually i gave up  Sad but at least made an effort for basics... and could read enough to do my shopping. But this is sooooooooooooooooooo OT...  Smile During the general election of 2005 there was a BBC interview in Rochdale, interviewing local Pakistani's and was interesting that some of the immigrant population now wanted limits as they believed continuing migration was hindering their aim at integration...
in response to the original thread... I am glad I have my passport until 2016.. so will end up with the new one then... but quite what the price will be??!!!!
One good turn takes the cover...

n229nw

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:20 pm

Quoting TuRbUleNc3 (Reply 31):
Quoting Banco (Reply 26):

Spot on!

He said "per capita." That means "per person,"--in other words that each one of them on average puts more into the economy than the average British-born citizen. It has nothing to do with how many immigrants there are in the UK.

Look, I know you support the BNP, but I really believe that you might stop doing so if you read the news from more reliable sources, and read more carefully as well. In the other thread you implied that "illegal immigrants" had British passports. That is a contradiction in terms. By definition you must be a legal immigrant and not only that but also now go through a test to get British citizenship (i.e. a passport).

There is a big difference between asylum and citizenship. One offers (usually temporary) protection from persecution, and the other is a contract to support and be supported by a national government. I'm all for citizenship to be dependent partly on learning the language, in any country. It is a two-way street.

There are also problems with the British immigration system, such as the fact that many asylum seekers who are genuine are forced into a long appeal process for their applications during which time they are not allowed to work and are forced to live on benefits, though most would rather get a job. By all means, work to improve these problems in the immigration system. And limiting/controlling immigration better may also be a legitimate aim and somethng to be honestly discussed, but don't confuse asylum-seekers with those who come from within the EU to work or with those who actually get British citizenship. These are all different things.

I really hope you try to learn more about these issues and not rely on right-wing newspapers, BNP pamplets and the like. They are full of distortions and downright lies.

[Edited 2006-07-31 13:34:17]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

777236ER

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 7):
Thats a great idea, the number of times Ive had a Dominos or similiar delivered and the driver could not speak english, communicated in grunts and waving - its dreadful.

You yourself can't even grasp basic grammatical concepts. Apostrophes? Correct use of sentences?

I am fed up with people who have a british passport but dont speak a bloody word of the language! Make them sit exams, learn to write and speak a little english before they arrive.

Apostrophes, capital letters...

Quoting BradWray (Reply 3):
I couldnt agree more.

Apostrophe?

Thank you,

Apostrophes, capital letters, correct spelling, use of commas?

Quoting BradWray (Reply 11):
It is a joke but if the government were to put money into teaching immigrants English free of charge, the tax payers of the country would go mental and not shut up about it.

Comma?

Quoting BradWray (Reply 15):
I cannot give you any concrete example's because which site is going write a full article on an immigrant being given a car but there was a Pakistani family living in London, next door to a freind who got to know these immigrants and they boasted of how great and kind the goverment have, giving them an easy way of living with a free car and a house.

You also cannot form appropriate sentences in English.

I dont know anything at this moment about the fastrack process prices, I presume that the price difference between the current passport and the e-passprt will be added.

Missing apostrophe.

Missing comma and horrendous use of the past tense when you should be using the past subjunctive tense.

Missing apostrophe.

Missing apostrophes.

Same as, i worry a lot about it too, especially all the news we had in the UK of them being found and things to make bombs.

No capital letter where needed, nonsensical start to the sentence.

Quoting MANYQB (Reply 34):
interviewing local Pakistani's and was interesting that some of the immigrant population now wanted limits as they believed continuing migration was hindering their aim at integration

Incorrect use of an apostrophe, missing word, incorrect use of words.

Every single person who has complained about immigrants unable to speak English have made basic mistakes in the language. They're mistakes that would be punished at primary school level, let alone at GCSE-level. Perhaps those that complain about illiterate foreigners should make sure they grasp the fundamentals of the language first.
Your bone's got a little machine

manni

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 4):

You might want to be a bit more specific here. Because this is certainly not a general rule, and might well depend on the nationality of the applicant and/or reason of the application.

I know several (hundreds) of people who live in Belgium, expats aswell as immigrants, with residence cards aswell as Belgian passports, however non of them are economic immigrants. They either run a business of themselfes, are representing or working for a foreign company in Belgium or have been married to a Belgian/European partner. I obviously never surveyd them all, but if I say that 10% of these people speak either flemish, french or german, even just a little, then I've exaggerated. And I have certainly never heard any of them saying they had to follow language classes in order to stay in Belgium.

And it better stays like this. Imagine a country who's capital is regarded the capital of the EC going forward with such narrowminded, nationalistic law. I dont think all the multi nationals that have thousands of expats based in Brussels and Antwerp, eurocrats and NATO personnel will be impressed...
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

levent

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:32 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 36):
Every single person who has complained about immigrants unable to speak English have made basic mistakes in the language. They're mistakes that would be punished at primary school level, let alone at GCSE-level. Perhaps those that complain about illiterate foreigners should make sure they grasp the fundamentals of the language first.

My exact thoughts. Although they will probably say "Oh, it's just because I was in a hurry" or something similar. My partner, who is English, also has some difficulty with apostrophes and she lets me be her editor - and I am Dutch/Turkish  Smile

Back to the topic: a passport might be quite expensive, but first of all look at what it costs per year, and then also take into account that with a EU-passport, you have visa-free access to a huge part of the world - and thus save a lot of money.

When my Turkish grandparents wanted to visit me and my parents in Holland, Belgium or Germany, the poor oldies had to go through a bureaucratic hell to get visas - and also pay a lot of money.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting BradWray (Thread starter):
The British Passport Service have announced that a British Passport will now cost £66

Good deal. If you renew your UK passport at the Embassy in Lisbon it now costs EUR 142 / GBP100.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

L410Turbolet

Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Levent (Reply 38):
then also take into account that with a EU-passport, you have visa-free access to a huge part of the world - and thus save a lot of money.

Well, that was the case even BEFORE this biometric Orwellian BS, wasn't it?
The real stupid thing is that you should check your passport before every trip to make sure the chip did not get damaged by e.g. high temperature - if it did you might get into real trouble because your passport will be considered as fake (and we all know what sort of retards the immigration officers usually are). Interoperability of biometric passports issued in god knows how many countries is another problem. Each EU state was supposed to submit samples of their biometric passports and results were quite bad - significant number of passports failed to release data from the chip.
Another wonderful feature is that the data on the chip are downloadable by virtually anynone and without your knowledge. All they need is the right technology and get into sufficient distance from the passport.
I just applied for my 2nd passport because the normal ones are issued only until the end of August so I won't have to worry about this for another 10 years.

BradWray
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 36):
Incorrect use of an apostrophe, missing word, incorrect use of words.

Who gives a flying fuck if we do not use apostrophes in our sentences.

This is not an English exam and we are not here to impress anybody on our literature and language, unlike some!

Have you got nothing else better to do than whine about people not using apostrophes where they should?

Bradley!

MYT332

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting BradWray (Reply 41):
Have you got nothing else better to do than whine about people not using apostrophes where they should?

It's obvious he is being pedantic here to prove a point and it's one I understand at least. It's quite hypocritical for us to demand all immigrants to speak and write perfect English whilst we here can't even manage it ourselves, myself included at times! 777236ER, did I make any mistakes there?

However, let it be said that when posting on an internet forum one isn't always too bothered about correct grammatical usage or indeed correct spelling. I'm also sure 777236ER is well aware of the level of English some immigrants in the UK are at but again, he was just trying to make a point in their defence.

Well that's how I read this anyway.

So what's the story on my Fast Track payments?
One Life, Live it.

A340600

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:41 am

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I got in just before and thus I wont be recieving an electric piece of crap until near the end of the old fashioned type! biggrin 
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

TuRbUleNc3

Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 42):
It's obvious he is being pedantic here to prove a point

Quite right, hence the reason i can't be arsed replying to him.

Quoting A340600 (Reply 43):
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I got in just before and thus I wont be recieving an electric piece of crap until near the end of the old fashioned type!

Congratulations  bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 

777236ER

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:13 pm

Who gives a flying fuck if we do not use apostrophes in our sentences.

Question marks too, apparently - is that a question?

You've repeatedly complained about the poor standards of English that 'immigrants' have, without any regard to the complexity of the language or the reason they're here (work permit? asylum seeker?). You suggest that immigrants should speak English. Yet you yourself cannot write English in a comprehensible manner! You have worse English skills than the majority of school kids in the UK, and you wouldn't pass an English SAT, let alone a GCSE, with the writing skills you've shown on here.

You've lived in the UK for 16 to 20 years, and you still can't use a question mark.

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 42):
I'm also sure 777236ER is well aware of the level of English some immigrants in the UK are at but again, he was just trying to make a point in their defence.

I'm sure there are some immigrants who don't speak a word of English, but it's entirely irrelevant to them staying here. If they have a work permit, then some UK company wants to employ them. Complain about the companies employing non-English speakers in the UK, then. You don't have to buy a Domino's pizza.

If they're successful asylum seekers, the government accepts that they have been persecuted in their own country, granting them refuge here. Their language skills shouldn't come into it.

Quoting TuRbUleNc3 (Reply 44):
Quite right, hence the reason i can't be arsed replying to him.

Maybe it's because you're ashamed about the complete hypocrisy you're displaying by demanding that immigrants speak good English, whilst displaying yourself the English skills of a primary school child?

This is not an English exam and we are not here to impress anybody on our literature and language, unlike some!

So it's fine for you to write appauling English, but not for immigrants?

CXA330300

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:26 pm

My opinion:

Immigrants should learn the local language. But,

The English, Aussies, New Zealanders, and Americans should get a f***ing move on and learn foreign languages. The goddamned British Empire is no longer, and learn a new language or stay behind.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

777236ER

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:16 pm

Please note that I was being ironic when I wrote:

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 45):
appauling English

Why did no one pick up on it?  Sad

[Edited 2006-08-01 12:18:48]

MYT332

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 47):
Why did no one pick up on it?

They thought it was right?
One Life, Live it.

TuRbUleNc3

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:56 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 45):
Maybe it's because you're ashamed about the complete hypocrisy you're displaying by demanding that immigrants speak good English, whilst displaying yourself the English skills of a primary school child?

I write proper english as and where needed, where it matters, which is not here.
Oh yeah, where did i put about me demanding they speak good english?
Find it and let me know because i have no idea where you've got that from so don't start ranting at me over something i never said.