VonRichtofen
Topic Author

World Trade Center The Movie

Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:23 pm

Hey All,

I just got back from an advanced screening of "World Trade Center". I must say it was pretty good, it wasn't hammed up at all like your typical Hollywood flick and it wasn't another "America! Fuck Yeah!!" type movie either. It really just focused on the actual events and what the first responders and their families had to endure.

I recommend seeing it.

Kris

Bobster2

RE: World Trade Center The Movie

Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:27 pm

The trailers look good. I plan to see it.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

ACDC8

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:40 pm

Is this the film with Nicholas Cage? Any links to some trailers?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

j_hallgren

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Yes, Cage is one of the leads..saw a brief piece on local BOS news about it...the screenwriter is from near BOS as I recall..

It's only the second movie I plan to see in a long while...I missed UA-93 due to work, but lately, the only movies that interest me are those that are reality based...which leaves out 99% of all movies...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

TuRbUleNc3

Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:16 pm

If it was anything like United 93 , ill be watching it!

tootallsd

Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:25 pm

So, I'm curious -- not attacking -- why do we need this movie? Some of you have an interest in seeing it, certainly the thread-starter was interested enough to turn up at an advance screening.

Last night, after the trailer finished running, I looked up and said out loud, "What do we need that for?" Clearly that reflects my opinion and so I'm curious about why people feel differently.

Please note: in saying we don't need a movie like this, I am not even thinking that the government or some other body should censor the movie in any way.

md80fanatic

Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:39 pm

We don't need a movie like this, or any other. Why must a movie fill a need, anyway? I think it's a great idea, as long as the story is accurate to the best of our knowledge. The last thing American's should do is to relegate 9-11 into the mists of time...the images should be kept fresh as long as there are American boys dying as a result of it.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:43 pm

I have seen previews, and it looks like a movie I'd want to see. We'll see if I drag my ass to a theatre though, or wait until it comes out on DVD.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

stormbringer

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
Any links to some trailers?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0469641/

Anyone remember the name of the documentry that a French filmmaker did when he just happened to be with the firefighters that day?
It's not road rage. It's COURTESY ENFORCEMENT.

Matt D

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 pm

You can bet your left testicle that 1) on September 12, 2001, every producer or wannabe movie maker out there was foaming at the mouth at this so-called "opportunity" and, 2) these movies have nothing to do whatsoever with "remembering history" "commemorating the victims/heroes", etc. 9/11, like so many other events has turned into a cottage industry and this movie represents nothing more than crass commercialization a tragic event. Nothing more. Nothing less. Don't get me wrong. I support capitalism as much as anyone. But is there ANY decency left? Forget about whether or not a movie like this COULD be done. Did anyone ask if we should?

I ask that last question tongue-in-cheek. I know that when "United 93" came out, lots of people were asking the same question. If the traditional Establishment says we shouldn't do something, you know it's going to be done. People still haven't figured out that the best path to success and popularity is controversy. More to the point: if the Christians hadn't made such a huge fuss over "Brokeback Mountain", it probably wouldv'e been a bomb. But they screamed and moaned about how "immoral" and "indecent it is, thus ensuring it would be a box office smash.

Every person old enough to understand what was going on that day (say 10 yrs of age and older) will remember that day and the aftermath with crystal clear sharpness for the rest of their lives. For those who were too young to remember as well as future generations, that event was probably documented more than any other in human history. One could literally spend a lifetime browing the endless archives of news stories, op-eds, pictures, video, etc.

9/11 WILL NEVER be forgotten.

So tell me again why we need this movie?

Oh yeah....Americans DO have short memories. Maybe I stand corrected. Maybe everyone already has forgotten. Besides, CNN is boring. We'd rather have the Jerry Briuckenheimer "truth". It's more entertaining (truth content or lack thereof notwithstanding).

stormbringer

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 pm

So we should never make any movies based on history then?
It's not road rage. It's COURTESY ENFORCEMENT.

senorcarnival

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:31 pm

Much like UA93, why would I want to see a movie that I already know how it ends?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Matt D

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:00 am

Has anyone else noticed the following trend?

Back in the day when historical movies/documentaries were made, at the opening of the film would be the caption "Based on a true story". And the producers usually tried to stick as close to the known truth as possible.

Today there has been a subtle shift. Now they say INSPIRED by a true story.

You know what that tells me?

That probably no more than 10% of the movie is based on fact. The producers took a single true situation and then carved it up, omitted certain parts and added fictitious ones to create a "better" story that has better "entertainment value" to it thus turning a real story into basically a work of fiction.

Newark777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 11):
Much like UA93, why would I want to see a movie that I already know how it ends?

So you don't watch any of the great historical movies? That's too bad, you're missing out.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

baylorairbear

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:10 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 12):

Back in the day when historical movies/documentaries were made, at the opening of the film would be the caption "Based on a true story". And the producers usually tried to stick as close to the known truth as possible.

The trailer says, "A true story." However, that doesn't mean it's true. Everything, and I mean everything on the screen is entertainment first, be it documentaries, news, or Spongebob.

I'm going to see this film for it's entertainment value, not because of it's historical perspective.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

Newark777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 14):

The trailer says, "A true story." However, that doesn't mean it's true. Everything, and I mean everything on the screen is entertainment first, be it documentaries, news, or Spongebob.

I've noticed that the historical movies haven't been as cheesily dramatized since the disaster that was Pearl Harbor, but it's still nothing like it used to be.

Harry

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 15):
I've noticed that the historical movies haven't been as cheesily dramatized since the disaster that was Pearl Harbor, but it's still nothing like it used to

I started watching that one in hopes of a good movie along the lines of Saving Private Ryan, Windtalkers etc. Turned it off after about 15 minutes.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

baylorairbear

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 15):

I've noticed that the historical movies haven't been as cheesily dramatized since the disaster that was Pearl Harbor, but it's still nothing like it used to be.

Lol, that's my point. People think that since a movie is set in WWII Pearl Harbor, that it's purpose must be to accurately reproduce the environment as it was on that day for the benefit of future generations, then are upset because there was drama.

For Christ's sake, it's a fucking movie! If you want to learn about Pearl Harbor, go spend some time in your library's non-fiction area.

BAB

MaverickM11

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:19 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
It really just focused on the actual events and what the first responders and their families had to endure.

Sounds fantastic...almost like the real thing  Yeah sure

Quoting Stormbringer (Reply 10):

Why do we need a flippin' movie when you can read/watch/experience the real thing ad nauseum? It irritates me so much that people need a movie when they could just f*($#ng PAY ATTENTION instead, for free.
E pur si muove -Galileo

baylorairbear

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 16):
Windtalkers

Did you just call "Windtalkers" a good movie?!?

BAB  spit 

Matt D

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:25 am

Sounds fantastic...almost like the real thing

Sort of like NASCAR....that's also pretty neat. It's almost just like the REAL racing we do on our PS2's.

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 19):

I was trying to think of war movies I have seen and didn't despise. Give me a break Big grin

Newark777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 19):

The only good part of that movie was watching Christian Slater's head get lopped off.  Wink

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 17):
then are upset because there was drama.

It wasn't just that it was drama. It was bad drama.

Harry

808TWA

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:24 am

The way that things are going in this world of late, sadly it's only a short matter of time before we see some horrific disaster of the same, if not greater magnitude than that experienced on 9/11.

With the number of documentaries which were produced after 9/11 using real live footage, interviews with survivors and victims families, personally I feel there is no need to rub anymore salt in the wounds with a movie, which will likely not capture the sheer scale of horrific disaster or the human suffering of 9/11.

Let it live on in our hearts, not in the pockets of some Hollywood big-wigs ($$$$).

-Alan
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

ltbewr

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:48 am

This movie focuses on the real life miracle of 2 men, the only buried survivors of the WTC attacks and collapse. Of course, not all of the movie will be absolutely perfect as to what happened, there will be some artistic license and that is the nature of all movies, but it appears to be a great salute to these survivors and all those 'first responders whom didn't. I don't suspect this movie is going to do a great profit and would rather it didn't. Still the story was one of the few good ones with the horrors of what happened there.
100's of movies and TV programs are about individuals and groups whom have survived war, criminal acts and natural disasters and we don't make a big of a deal as to those situations being 'exploited'. I am concerned with the director of this movie and his history in "JFK" and it's conspiracies storyline, but the vibe so far suggests that isn't the case here.

okelleynyc

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:56 am

I'm sure it's going to be a great movie, but I won't be watching it for now; maybe later. It all seems just like yesterday to me. It's still too soon and too awful...
Just give me my Vario, my Ozone Mojo and a gorgeous day of soaring.

baylorairbear

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 23):
I feel there is no need to rub anymore salt in the wounds with a movie, which will likely not capture the sheer scale of horrific disaster or the human suffering of 9/11.

It's a movie, for entertainment purposes!!!!! It's not supposed to "capture the sheer scale of horrific disaster or the human suffering of 9/11!!!!!"

BAB

PSA53

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:47 am

Yes and no.Yes on"Tora!Tora!Tora!" was an excellent film providing insight
of how Washington and the diplomatic and intelligent departments worked
at the time.I found it very educational.

Big no on JFK.A propaganda film by Oliver Stone.The issues are Stones
opinions and have been proven false.

But both of these films were produced many years after the event.I'm not
so sure that one on the WTC should be released so soon.

The producers took a single true situation and then carved it up, omitted certain parts and added fictitious ones to create a "better" story that has better "entertainment value" to it thus turning a real story into basically a work of fiction.

"The Great Escape" is prime example of inserting fictional stunts.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Matt D

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:52 am

It's a movie, for entertainment purposes!!!!! It's not supposed to "capture the sheer scale of horrific disaster or the human suffering of 9/11!!!!!"

Wouldn't the two be mutually exclusive?

baylorairbear

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 28):

Wouldn't the two be mutually exclusive?

Indeed!

BAB  Smile

EA CO AS

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 11):

Did you go see Titanic, or avoid it for the same "I know how it ends" rationale?

No matter - it was only the single biggest grossing film in history, so obviously most people don't care about knowing the end beforehand.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

808TWA

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 26):

Then, with that being said...Would you not agree that the subject matter may be just a little inappropriate?

Personally, watching a movie on a subject where so many people were negatively affected for personal entertainment....Just doesn't seem right.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and ultimately the success of the movie will be determined by those who pay to watch it.

-Alan

Newark777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 31):
Would you not agree that the subject matter may be just a little inappropriate?

That's what movies are supposed to do, produce an emotional response and have an impact on you. And since when did the movie industry care about subject matter?

And what do you think about every war movie ever made? You think those soldiers getting shot through the head don't represent real people that were killed, and real people that were affected by their deaths?

Harry

vikkyvik

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 18):
Why do we need a flippin' movie when you can read/watch/experience the real thing ad nauseum? It irritates me so much that people need a movie when they could just f*($#ng PAY ATTENTION instead, for free.

Dude, relax, let people enjoy what they enjoy. You don't have to enjoy it.

By that logic, I shouldn't be watching sports, cause I could be playing sports. I shouldn't be going to see a band, cause I could be playing in a band. Shouldn't read a book either.

No one "needs" this movie (with the possible exception of people employed in its production or benefitting monetarily from its release).

Has anyone else noticed the following trend?

I have indeed noticed it. I typically hear/see "Inspired by actual events" or some such nonsense.

In the end, it's up to the viewers to be educated enough to determine for themselves how much truth is contained in any form of entertainment.

I'll probably see it on DVD.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

PSA53

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:19 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 30):
Did you go see Titanic, or avoid it for the same "I know how it ends" rationale?

Interesting of new facts about the "ship broke in two" and "big gash" theories coincided with the release of "Titanic" came into play probably had a lot to do with success of the film.Not to mention Kate Winslet.(LOL)
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

808TWA

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 32):
That's what movies are supposed to do, produce an emotional response and have an impact on you. And since when did the movie industry care about subject matter?

I agree with you.

And what do you think about every war movie ever made? You think those soldiers getting shot through the head don't represent real people that were killed, and real people that were affected by their deaths?

9/11 did not affect soldiers in their line of duty, which most war movies reflect, but the average civilian who was going about their normal day-to-day routine.

I just feel that the timeline between the actual event and now is too short and that those who suffered losses don't need to be reminded with a new 9/11 movie being released every few months.

-Alan

legoguy

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:41 am

I am looking forward to this film as I have the trailers and it looks great.

I believe films like this should be made as it tells the story from the perspective of the brave police officers. Also films like Flight 93 tell the story from the perspective of those on board the aircraft etc etc.

Has anyone seen the film/documentary of 9/11 from the fire fighters point of view. I found that film deeply touching. These sort of films have that affect. Usually at the end of a cinema people jump up and start chatting away regardless if the film was a scarey or comedy. However with Flight 93....when the credits started.....silence.....everbody left in silence. These films are deeply touching...
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

Newark777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 35):

I just feel that the timeline between the actual event and now is too short and that those who suffered losses don't need to be reminded with a new 9/11 movie being released every few months.

How long are you supposed to wait, 22.3 years?  Wink

Seriously, though, 9/11 is talked about so much as it is with Middle East terrorism, War on Terror, etc, that a few movies aren't going to do much damage.

Harry

MaverickM11

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 33):
I shouldn't be watching sports, cause I could be playing sports. I shouldn't be going to see a band, cause I could be playing in a band.

No it would be like watching a movie about the game you can watch live on TV, or a movie about a band loosely based on your favorite band that you can see in concert. It just seems totally redundant to make a movie about such a vivid, well covered, recent event.
E pur si muove -Galileo

GDC2006

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:53 am

I'll be watching this film mainly because I am a Nicholas Cage devotee.

9/11 touched me in a personal and private way, nowhere near the way it touched many thousands more people but there is a time and place where I just think about my experience of the WTC and also watching it fall but I will be seperating the film and the actual tragedy into fact and fiction.

I feel I know every moment of 9/11 I have read millions of words and watched countless documentaries, I knew who John McLoughlin and William Jimeno are before this film came out.

9/11 means something to everyone but this is a film and despite claims to be based on (or inspired by) a true story it can only be a work of the filmmakers imagination.

Enjoy the film and remember the victims and survivors of 9/11 with the quiet respect they deserve.

GC
Trust a woman? How can you trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die?

baylorairbear

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:15 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 38):
It just seems totally redundant to make a movie about such a vivid, well covered, recent event.

The movie isn't about 9/11 or the world trade center. It's about two dudes that got trapped when the buildings collapsed. 9/11 just sets the scene.

BAB banghead 

MaverickM11

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 40):
The movie isn't about 9/11 or the world trade center. It's about two dudes that got trapped when the buildings collapsed. 9/11 just sets the scene.

That makes it even less interesting.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Matt D

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:04 am

No it would be like watching a movie about the game you can watch live on TV, or a movie about a band loosely based on your favorite band that you can see in concert. It just seems totally redundant to make a movie about such a vivid, well covered, recent event.

I'll take that a step further.

Watching a movie about September 11 would be like watching a "biography" about...say...Brad Pitt or Julia Roberts, without those movies actually starring Brad Pitt or Julia Roberts. Instead of using the real people, they use "stand in" actors.

Kind of defeats the purpose.

mt99

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:17 am

Anyone see it yet?

Im going w friends tonite. Good reviews so far. I particlulary like Richards Roper's opening paragraphs:

"It would be my great pleasure to arrange for a screening of Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center" for Ann Coulter and some of the families whose loved ones were killed or seriously injured on 9/11. It could take place in New York, New Jersey, any place, any time, all expenses on me. All I ask is, after the screening is over and the lights go up, that Coulter should stand and face these families and explain to them why she believes they experienced anything but the most profound emotional pain on that day and on all the days that have followed.

Of course, Coulter will never go for something like that. That would take character and humanity, and she's an unconscionable pig."

Full review here :

http://www.suntimes.com/output/movies/cst-ftr-wtc09.html
Step into my office, baby

redngold

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:18 am

So how many of you actually saw the movie, before you started criticizing it?

*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

I just saw it. It was very contemplative. The writing was NOT sensationalist. If anything, the movie dragged on just like the hours that those men were trapped in the rubble. The moments in which they depicted the building collapses (yes, they included WTC 7) were agonizing, because the men did not know what was really going on around them, only that the concourse had collapsed over them. The movie's tension was entirely dependent on all of the "unknown" factors that came into play that day. Rather than focusing on what we know happened above ground, this movie focuses on what happened beneath the surface - both at the WTC site and in the hearts and minds of the policemen, their families and their rescuers.

7/10.
Up, up and away!

AGC525

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:25 am

Here's a article from one of the local newspapers in PIT. Small world since I know some of the 911 folks listed below, and I live in Munhall.

Sister in Pittsburgh' gives local 911 dispatcher a heroic role

Karen Roebuck
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 6, 2006

Until Joy Karnes called, Allegheny County 911 dispatcher Randy Tedesco was watching history, not changing it.
The Munhall woman's frantic call, at 7:56 p.m. on Sept. 11, 2001, gave Tedesco a pivotal role in saving two police officers trapped beneath the World Trade Center rubble nearly 10 hours earlier.

"I need to be patched through to the NYPD rescue. Immediately. This has to do with the World Trade Center," Karnes told him.

Between routine calls, Tedesco and other dispatchers had been transfixed by broadcasts of the terrorist attacks and their aftermath. Like most Americans, they repeatedly saw the twin 110-story World Trade Center towers collapsing into 10-story piles of rubble.
"I wondered how somebody who's trapped under the World Trade Center could end up speaking to someone in Munhall," said Tedesco, who has never before spoken publicly about that day.

He believed her. Even if he had not, he would have handled the call the same way. "Regardless of whether I believe her or not, I have to treat every call as if it's real -- especially in that situation," he said.

Four fuel-heavy planes had been hijacked and turned into flying bombs. Two took down the twin towers and destroyed the other five buildings that made up the World Trade Center. A third ripped into the Pentagon.

Passengers aboard United Flight 93 rebelled, sparing another Washington, D.C. area target by downing their plane in a rural Somerset County field, where numerous Allegheny County rescuers had been sent.

Allegheny County's Emergency Operations Center, housed in the same Point Breeze building as the 911 center, had activated that morning when Flight 93 headed toward Pittsburgh air space.

Karnes' call was for help 370 miles away in New York City.

She had received a call from her brother, David Karnes, a former Marine staff sergeant who lived in Connecticut. He had gone to Ground Zero on his own, searching for survivors.

A movie about that rescue, "World Trade Center," directed by Oliver Stone, opens Wednesday and has only a passing reference to Joy Karnes as the unnamed "sister in Pittsburgh" and does not mention Allegheny County 911's role.

David Karnes and Marine Pvt. Dave Thomas, whom he ran into during his search, found two officers with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey trapped beneath the rubble. Local cell phone frequencies were jammed and Karnes could not reach rescuers in the New York area.

Sgts. John McLoughlin and Will Jimeno were trapped in what had been a concourse between the two towers. They did not want Karnes to leave, afraid they would not be found again.
So David Karnes made the long-distance call to his sister and asked her to relay their location to rescuers.

During Joy Karnes' call to Tedesco, it was unclear whether her brother was trapped with the men or was attempting to rescue them. She said the three officers were near the Forward Hotel, 10 yards south of a fountain and about 40 feet below the rubble.

Tedesco's notes were passed to Michael Lupinacci, the assistant communications manager, in the county's emergency operations center. He called Karnes back to recheck her story, then tried unsuccessfully to reach the NYPD, Port Authority and other rescuers by phone.

He faxed a message on Allegheny County Emergency Services letterhead to the NYPD, saying: "Received call from Dave Karnes ... trapped in World Trade Center with NYPD Sgt. Maglaughlin and Sgt. Gemetto.10 yards from south fountain 40' down near Forward Hotel. Not a joke call to confirm."

He signed his name and gave both his and Karnes' phone numbers.

Greg Bolar, a dispatch technician who has since died, sent the same message over the National Crime Information Center, a law enforcement-only computer network that allows instant-messaging.

Lupinacci called David Karnes' cell phone and left a message, repeating the information he had received about the officers' location and telling him they were getting him help.

At 8:37 p.m., an NYPD sergeant called Lupinacci saying they had received the fax and had dispatched rescuers to the scene. Deluged with prank calls and false leads, the NYPD asked Allegheny County to check out Joy Karnes' call "even to the point of investigating Joy -- to get somebody out there to see if she seemed to be legit," Lupinacci said.

Years of experience told Lupinacci, now 44, "This was a good call."

Still, county police were sent to Joy Karnes' home.

"A half-hour later, NYPD called me and questioned me," Joy Karnes said at the time. "They weren't sure whether to believe it. They asked me if (my brother) had a psychiatric history. I told them he was a police officer and he walked out on an excellent job to do this."

New York firefighters called her on their way to the scene to verify the information once again. Rescuers in New York quickly found the site, erasing any doubt.

About 11 p.m., Jimeno was freed from the rubble and taken to the hospital.

"New York called us back and said they did make the rescue, and we couldn't have been more ecstatic here," said Bob Full, chief of Allegheny County emergency services.

Tedesco was home when he heard the news.

He said he was happy and relieved.

"Basically, it's a thankless job and you don't see the results much of what you do," Tedesco said.

McLoughlin, the 19th of 20 people rescued, was freed at 8 a.m. the next day. Genelle Guzman-McMillan, a Port Authority secretary, was pulled from the rubble 4 1/2 hours later.

The attack on the World Trade Center killed 2,749 people.

Although Tedesco is vague on the call's details after five years, he said it was the most memorable in his eight years as a dispatcher.

He turned down all local and national media requests for interviews at the time.

"That's not me. I just consider it my job. It's what I was there to do ... and there were so many other people involved. Anybody can answer the phone. It just happened to be me. I would like to think anybody who answered the phone would have handled it the same way and had the same result," he said.

"I'm so proud that our 911 operators here acted in their normal, day-to-day professional manner and we could contribute to saving lives in New York," Full said. "The things we know day to day that they do that don't rise to this level of recognition -- the 911 operators, we know, are often the unsung heroes."

The 911 Call Center, Tedesco, Lupinacci and other county employees receiv ed numerous commendations for their roles in the rescue, including an award from the National Emergency Numbers Association. The NYPD and then-NYPD Commissioner Bernard Kerik sent certificates of appreciation.

Most rewarding, those involved said, were the thank-you notes from McLoughlin, Jimeno and David Karnes.

"I thank you for helping save my life!" Jimeno said in a card to the Allegheny County 911 staff. "God bless you and you all will always be close to my heart and my family's."

McLoughlin and Jimeno did not respond to interview requests through Paramount Pictures' New York public relations firm. David Karnes, now 48 and on active duty with the U.S. Marine Reserves, declined to be interviewed.

Joy Karnes, 49, died of breast cancer April 18, said her sister, Christine Karnes-Kearns. She said both her sister and brother are among the heroes of 9/11.

Tedesco, 30, of Elizabeth Township, now a lead telecommunications officer, and Allegheny Co unty 911 Manager Bob Harvey saw "World Trade Center" last week at a press screening. Both said they liked it.

"It was nice to see what went on -- to see what we did put into action. I was disappointed they didn't put more of what we did in there. It was a small part of the story, but that's where it all started," Tedesco said.

"I thought (the movie) recognized the people who really needed to be recognized -- the rescuers, the Marines. Our part was a small part -- passing on information," Harvey said.

"As long as he got the thank-yous from the officers, I don't care about the movie," he said. "We know in our hearts we did the best. ... I don't think we care if anyone in the United States knows about it, but we care that our own residents know about it."
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

JFKspotter

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 24):
This movie focuses on the real life miracle of 2 men, the only buried survivors of the WTC attacks and collapse

Not trying to run off topic, but twenty people were actually dug out from the rubble after the collapses.

I saw the movie, and as a first responder myself, I thought it was very well made.

IFEMaster

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:07 am

The negativity on this thread is mindblowing. Some of you nay-sayers and pessimists need to lighten up. Seriously.

I know two people directly affected by the events of 9/11. One was in the south tower when it got hit, and the other was in his office in the pentagon when it got hit. Both, thanks God, got out alive. Both have condoned this movie and give it their full support.

This movie is about much more than events that day. It has a positive focus through the entire movie - human endurance, sacrifice, love, determination, persistance, and all in the face of adversity. The story that it tells - the story of the last survivors to be pulled from the rubble - is a story that I think should be told. Yes, there are the pains and the sadness and the memories and the anger that go with this story, but more than that this movie doesn't focus on any of those issues directly. It's inspiring. It's heartwarming. It doesn't tell the story of the events of the day, but it tells an amazing story of survival.

Nobody is trying to commercialize or waterdown the terrible events of that day. I wonder if those on this list that insist on bashing it say the same thing about Schindler's List, or heck - even Titanic (a movie that told a fictional story amongst a terrible true event). Seriously people, open your minds for just a moment of your short life, stop focusing on the negative, and recognize this for what it is - a warm, incredible, bittersweet true story.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

FlyUSCG

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:04 am

I personally will not be seeing the movie. No grand reason or anything, just dont feel the need. As other people have said, most of us remember the events like they happened yesterday. This was my generations JFK and it will be with us forever.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 34):
Interesting of new facts about the "ship broke in two" and "big gash" theories coincided with the release of "Titanic" came into play probably had a lot to do with success of the film

Those things were known YEARS before the movie came out. Dr. Ballard discovered the Titanic in the 80's and at that point it was pretty obvious it split in two. I'm not sure when they nailed down the gash theory as it is located under the mud, but the had been looking at it for years before the movie too (how else would the ship have sunk?). And finally I really doubt the movie-going public would give a rats ass about the ship breaking up in two as it was going down. The movie did as good as it did because of Leo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet and all the money and effort spent on effects.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

scamp

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 43):
"It would be my great pleasure to arrange for a screening of Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center" for Ann Coulter and some of the families whose loved ones were killed or seriously injured on 9/11. It could take place in New York, New Jersey, any place, any time, all expenses on me. All I ask is, after the screening is over and the lights go up, that Coulter should stand and face these families and explain to them why she believes they experienced anything but the most profound emotional pain on that day and on all the days that have followed.

Of course, Coulter will never go for something like that. That would take character and humanity, and she's an unconscionable pig."

Full review here :

And then, could someone shoot her in the head? I would be more than happy to foot the bill for that person's defense. Hell, half the people in America would contribute to that!
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.