searpqx

Smoking "Vaccine"?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:21 am

I'm not and never have been a smoker, but on the surface this seems to be a good thing: Doctors test anti-smoking vaccine. Basically a vaccine that immunizes the user against the effects of nicotine, making it much easier to drop the habit, as it doesn't satisfy the need any further. My question to the smokers amongst us, do you see this as being useful and would you be willing to try it?

And I will admit, I have an ulterior motive for posting. The following statement caught my eye. Sort of puts a hole in the argument that drug companies are independent of Federal funding for drug research, so we don't need to support research at the federal level (a la stem cells):

Quote:
Other novel drugs are in development, but NicVax, by Nabi Biopharmaceuticals, a Boca Raton, Fla., biotech company with labs in Rockville, Md., is most advanced among the vaccines.
. . . .
The Food and Drug Administration has granted the vaccine fast-track status, meaning it will get prompt review, and the National Institute on Drug Abuse just gave Nabi a second $4 million grant to finance the study and NicVax's development.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

aa61hvy

RE: Smoking "Vaccine"?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Searpqx (Thread starter):
do you see this as being useful and would you be willing to try it?

I'd do it in a heart beat, as long as there would be no bad side effects.
Go big or go home

canuckpaxguy

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:28 am

At the very least, I'd look into it.
G

BCAInfoSys

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:30 am

Hmmm.. now if only it could be transferred to other smoking vices... we might just be able to cure Sabena332 afterall!

Steve

[Edited 2006-07-28 02:31:25]
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

aa757first

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:22 pm

And I will admit, I have an ulterior motive for posting. The following statement caught my eye. Sort of puts a hole in the argument that drug companies are independent of Federal funding for drug research, so

$8 million doesn't seem like very much...

AAndrew

ANCFlyer

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:27 pm

My question to the smokers amongst us, do you see this as being useful and would you be willing to try it?

I'd give it a shot certainly.

Have quit and started and quit and started . . . . I know how damned hard it is to give up smoking. . . . I'd try just about anything for a permanent solution.

I'd be concerned about side effects, seems to be quite a few of those little quirks in drugs today . . . but aside from turning a strange color or having some integral portion of my anatomy fall off, I'm game.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

searpqx

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 4):

In the grand scheme of things, $8MM isn't much, but it sure as hell isn't chump change either.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
I'd be concerned about side effects, seems to be quite a few of those little quirks in drugs today . . . but aside from turning a strange color or having some integral portion of my anatomy fall off, I'm game.

rotfl Warning, side effects though rare may cause minor inconvenience such as loss of limbs, genitalia and in rare instances your life.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

ANCFlyer

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:47 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 6):
Quoting Aa757first (Reply 4):

In the grand scheme of things, $8MM isn't much, but it sure as hell isn't chump change either.

Agreed . . . .how many $Billions are spent on taking care of medical expenses caused by smoking each year?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

David L

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:47 pm

Sounds good in principle but, unfortunately, there's more to smoking than just the nicotine.  Sad