Topic Author

Statues On An NY Building (Possibly GE Building)?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:17 pm

I was watching a Midnight Oil music video, King of the Mountain, which includes footage from a concert given by the band in New York. From what I can tell, the stage faces the Exxon Building. I'm interested in finding out about some statues/sculptures which are shown briefly. I think they might be on the building behind the stage, which from what I can tell is the GE Building (though correct me if that is not the building across the street from the Exxon Building). One of the statues shows a man with the words "THE SPIRIT" above him, another is a woman holding a child, with the words "GIFTS OF EARTH" above, while another is a man with the words "THE CONQUEST" above.

I'm wondering if these statues are in fact part of the facade of the GE Building, and what their history and meaning is. They've always intrigued me in the video...

"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

RE: Statues On An NY Building (Possibly GE Building)?

Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:06 am

Not sure of the statues that you are referring to, but there are quite a few in the Rockefeller Center complex whose largest tower is the GE Building. Hope this helps:

"The Rock" is at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, between 5th and 6th Avenues, between 50th and 51st. The Exxon Building is basically next door on 6th Ave between 49th and 50th.
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.