ilikeyyc

BHM Meet- Nov. 4: It Will Be A Blast!

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:53 pm

The old thread was killing my computer every time I opened it, so here we go with thread #2.

Most current list:

Attendees:
ilikeyyc
ANCFlyer
BHMBAGLOCK and friend(s)
Queso
DL021
srbmod
BMIFlyer
swatpamike
MTY332 (by order of DL021)
Mir (if MTY332 attends)
Usnseallt82

Tentative:
Miamiair
BCAInfoSys (but he acts as if he is coming)
MDorBust

For those who want to come and have fun, its never too late to sign up! The more the merrier!

The old thread: The A.net BHM Big Handgun Meet- Nov. 4 (by Ilikeyyc Jul 11 2006 in Non Aviation)
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

ANCFlyer

RE: BHM Meet- Nov. 4: It Will Be A Blast!

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:13 pm

Do we have concensus on the Dinner location? T-Shirts?

Anything else we need to copy over form the last thread?

Travel info? Where to meet? Etc?

How about someone posting a map to the range, or at least giving an address? Did I miss that? I should already be in 'Bama by the 4th . . . unless US really screws things up. I'll be about 60 miles west of B'Ham in the middle of no where (town called Berry - no cell tower there, yes it's that small - so I'll give my Mom's phone number to those that need it - just drop me a PM).
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

JGPH1A

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
I'll be about 60 miles west of B'Ham in the middle of no where (town called Berry

Or you could just call this guy - he'll pass on the message.

Squeal, little piggieee !!

Silly
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

BMIFlyer

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 2):

So JGP has officially hijacked the thread, does that mean we can shoot him?  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

JGPH1A

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 3):
So JGP has officially hijacked the thread, does that mean we can shoot him?

No hijack intended, I merely pass comment and move on. I'm allowed.  tongue 

Back to talking about eating roadkill and marrying your cousins the BHM meet.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ANCFlyer

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Well, we DO need a moving target downrange . . .  crazy  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ilikeyyc

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:14 pm

Dinner:

No decision has been made, but BHMBAGLOCK's suggestions for "steak" are as follows:

Quote:

Unfortunately Bug Tussle is but a dim memory. Best choices for steaks in Bham are as follow:

Shula's - great but not very convenient to anything else we're doing

Ruth's Chris - good location and always good food there

Copper Grille - also a good location, obscenely expensive but very good

John's - Not a great selection of beef but they do have a super center cut filet and the best burger in town. Great seafood as well. It's also much less expensive than the other options. The Executive Chef is a friend of mine from HS as well - http://www.birminghammenus.com/johns/

Highland's Bar & Grill - Another very expensive option but superb. This is Frank Stitt's original restaurant and they do great steaks and all sorts of unique Southern Cuisine - www.highlandsbarandgrill.com - FWIW, Pat Conroy (Great Santini author) is very vocal about this being his absolute favorite restaurant. As with John's not a huge selection of beef, but like everything else on the menu, it will be perfectly cooked from the very best ingredients, i.e. they use Kobe beef for Carpacchio.

I don't think it will matter to most people (like me) where we eat. I vote for Highland's Bar and Grill.

After dinner, it has been suggested that we go to Barking Kudu www.barkingkudu.com for drinks.

On Saturday morning, unless I misunderstood, we will be meeting at BHMBAGLOCK's work place for the brunch cookout where we can get to know one another before going to the range.

the range is at:

F.O.P. Range Inc.
91 1st Street,
Pleasant Grove Al. 35127

http://www.foprangeinc.com/

According to Google Maps, his is in the western part of B"ham

BMIFlyer

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:17 pm

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 6):
After dinner, it has been suggested that we go to Barking Kudu for drinks.

Looks good, i'm in for that Big grin

For Dinner, Steak is good, I don't mind the venue  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

ANCFlyer

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:18 pm

BBQ, Shooting, Steaks, Drinks . . . damn - can't beat that . . .

Thanks for the range info as well . . .

srbmod

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:10 pm

Or you could just call this guy - he'll pass on the message.

That would be correct if the meet was being held up in North Georgia, as I've heard Banjo Boy works at a Huddle House up in Toccoa.

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 6):
I don't think it will matter to most people (like me) where we eat. I vote for Highland's Bar and Grill.

Looking at the two places mentioned in the quote from the other thread, John's City Diner gets my vote. They seem to me to have the better menu (at least what they have posted online.) than Highland's Bar & Grill.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet (that I know of) is accomodations. A base location to meet up at needs to be established, and perhaps that can be the hotel/motel where the bulk of us are staying at.

dl021

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:39 pm

r you could just call this guy - he'll pass on the message.

He's definitely at the Huddle House in Toccoa washing dishes. Saw him there a few months ago. He has another job doing the same thing part time at yet another local place.

That was a different guy who recently passed away. Go to IMDB to see what Burt Reynolds and John Boorman had to say about him.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):
Back to talking about eating roadkill and marrying your cousins the BHM meet.

You're just insanely jealous because you love roadkill and your cousin rejected you.....besides....we're not going far enough towards Mississippi to get to where that's legal...

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
Well, we DO need a moving target downrange . . .

Then I suggest we hire a walrus.....it'll eat less and move faster on the range presenting us with a more economical, more challenging opportunity!  Wink
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

bhmbaglock

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 9):
That would be correct if the meet was being held up in North Georgia, as I've heard Banjo Boy works at a Huddle House up in Toccoa.

Actually, he's close to correct. The movie was set in GA but filmed in NE AL. The area is now half filled with vacation cabins for rich people. Very beautiful area.

No, I'll just take him camping in one of the less developed areas of the Little River Canyon.  Smile

Looking at the two places mentioned in the quote from the other thread, John's City Diner gets my vote. They seem to me to have the better menu (at least what they have posted online.) than Highland's Bar & Grill.

Highlands will normally have more daily items that permanent menu selections. Frank Stitt is a fiend for only working with the best and most fresh ingredients and prefers local as well. The web menu will be less than half of what is available. John's is excellent food for a great price, Highlands is as good as it gets at an outrageous price. I'm happy either way.

I miss the days when my friend Paul worked there in the kitchen (he's now the executive Chef at John's). We'd go eat there and would usually end up being guinea pigs for 2-3 new menu ideas at no charge. Damn good deal!

Quoting DL021 (Reply 10):

That was a different guy who recently passed away.

Ned Beatty

Let's take a vote and see which restaurant we should pick. I'll stay out of it since I've provided all the info and don't want to skew the results. Let's narrow it down to John's and Highlands as these seem to be the only ones being discussed.

If people will let me know their preferences for hotels, i.e. brand, style, price range, etc. I'll make some suggestions there as well. I'm going to try to finish up a guest room by then so I'll tentatively be able to host a few people as I can also have my daughter sleep on the other bunk in my son's room and open up another. If Westy decides to come he can have this room as the pink will suit him.  duck 

I'll also check with my parents and see if they would put up a few people. They have two guest rooms and are only 5 minutes from the bar so this would work well. I also have a pop-up that could easily take 2-3 people if anybody's game for it.

Anybody attending from the Bay area? I'll be out there late next month and it would be great to put a face to one or two additional folks before we get together. Currently the only attendee I've met face to face is ANC. I'll most certainly make it to ATL at some point before the meet and will try to look up some of you guys then.

btw, add me to the T-shirt list, XL. Who's going to design it? Maybe we should be shooting at a little piggy with JGP shaved into his ass?  Smile
Where are all of my respected members going?

Queso

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:48 pm

Dinner, meeting place, etc. don't make any difference to me at all, I'm figuring that the local talent will provide the best direction. I'm just looking forward to meeting all of you and maybe some others, doing a little shooting, and hearing some good lies. All of the suggestions presented so far look fantastic and BHMBAGLOCK's home-base hospitality sounds like the icing on the cake. I'll just bet that the place he was talking about in "another forum" would be a good starting point.

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Thread starter):
For those who want to come and have fun, its never too late to sign up! The more the merrier!

And it hasn't been repeated so far in this thread but I think it bears mentioning that yes, we will be shooting but you don't have to have your own gun and you don't even have to shoot to join us. Everyone come and have a great time laughing at us if you want to!

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
BBQ, Shooting, Steaks, Drinks . . . damn - can't beat that . . .

checkmark  Absolutely! You can add "good friends" to that list.

Quoting Ilikeyyc,reply=201 in the other thread:
"I survived the A.net Shoot-out?"

I think that's a MAGnificent idea!

And for a group picture, how many of these are we going to need? It'll give Lew some more material for the threads......

http://www.soldiercity.com/product-e...215/affiliate_id/1280/keyword/3215

Queso

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:58 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 11):
Let's take a vote and see which restaurant we should pick. I'll stay out of it since I've provided all the info and don't want to skew the results. Let's narrow it down to John's and Highlands as these seem to be the only ones being discussed.

No preference, I will defer to the others since I'm a social numb-nuts in person and I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first.

If people will let me know their preferences for hotels, i.e. brand, style, price range, etc. I'll make some suggestions there as well.

I'll most likely be staying at one of the LaQuinta's in BHM.

If Westy decides to come he can have this room as the pink will suit him.

rotfl  Too cool! Hope he sees that!

Maybe we should be shooting at a little piggy with JGP shaved into his ass?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  Maybe Lew can design that for us and we can get it printed!

AeroWesty

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:09 am

If Westy decides to come he can have this room as the pink will suit him.

::smack!::  rotfl 
International Homo of Mystery

piercey

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:35 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
Well, we DO need a moving target downrange . . .

Hey ANC, I thought that was Lew's job  duck 
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

bhmbaglock

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 12):

And for a group picture, how many of these are we going to need?

None! We've got photoshop.

Quoting Queso (Reply 13):
I'll most likely be staying at one of the LaQuinta's in BHM.

The one in Homewood will be most convenient. There's another close to the range but it's in a neighborhood where carrying is almost a necessity, particularly on a Friday or Saturday night.

Quoting Ilikeyyc,reply=201 in the other thread:
"I survived the A.net Shoot-out?"

I think that's a MAGnificent idea!

How about "I survived the MAGnificient A.net shoot out."? Any ideas on working aviation into the T-shirt design?

JGPH1A

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:55 am

He's definitely at the Huddle House in Toccoa washing dishes. Saw him there a few months ago.

It's nice when families keep in touch  Smile

You're just insanely jealous because you love roadkill and your cousin rejected you.....

Mmmm - roadkill fricassee, with wild rice and cepe-based jus. Tasty !

No, I'll just take him camping

I don't do camping - please ! To me, roughing it means no room service.

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 16):
Any ideas on working aviation into the T-shirt design?

Dunno about aviation, but here's a good theme...

or there's the classic...

srbmod

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:51 am

Actually, he's close to correct. The movie was set in GA but filmed in NE AL. The area is now half filled with vacation cabins for rich people. Very beautiful area.

Actually Deliverance was filmed in NE Georgia and NW South Carolina. The Chattooga River and the Tallulah River (as it runs through Tallulah Gorge) were the two rivers used as the "Cahulawassee River". For years, there were signs along US-76 east of Clayton directing tourists to where parts of the movie were filmed on the Chattooga (The influx of tourists after the book and movie led to the river being designated a National Wild and Scenic River by the government). The film is still a bit of a sore subject among old timers in the region.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/locations

dl021

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:38 am

I hate to disagree with you but that movie was mostly filmed in North Georgia...

Filming Locations for
Deliverance (1972)
Clayton, Georgia, USA

Lake Jocassee, Oconee County, South Carolina, USA

Oconee County, South Carolina, USA
(lake jocasee)

Rabun County, Georgia, USA
(Chattooga River)

Tallulah Gorge, Georgia, USA

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/locations

That was a different guy who recently passed away.

Ned Beatty

Nope....Herbert 'Cowboy' Coward he was the toothless guy who made Ned squeal like a pig...."When director John Boorman explained to Coward that one of the things his character was going to do was to rape a man, Coward replied, "I've done worse."" IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0184662/bio

I'm actually all for a local picking the best steak place closest to the place where we're shooting. Also look for the decentest motel near the shooting.

Take the lead on that one and most of us will be grateful.

MD-90

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:16 am

The really sad thing is that 31 people died on that river in 1973 alone while trying to paddle the same stretches that were filmed.

JGPH1A

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 20):
The really sad thing is that 31 people died on that river in 1973 alone while trying to paddle the same stretches that were filmed.

Any chance you guys will be doing any canoeing ? We can but hope  Smile

ilikeyyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:23 am

Let's take a vote and see which restaurant we should pick. I'll stay out of it since I've provided all the info and don't want to skew the results. Let's narrow it down to John's and Highlands as these seem to be the only ones being discussed

Quoting DL021 (Reply 19):
Take the lead on that one and most of us will be grateful.

I agree. Having us, who have never been there, decide on restaurants and hotels is like a blind guy picking out his favorite color shirt. As long as something work related does not come up, I'm willing to get out there next week to have a look around.

And for a group picture, how many of these are we going to need?

You can't count the number of names on the list?  Wink I'd be willing to go for a US Army hat, but not one that says "Retired". I'm in no hurry to look old.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 17):
or there's the classic...

Call me a "nitpick" but I wouldn't want that shirt because Dick Cheney went hunting with a shotgun and that shirt has bullet holes. Someone obviously didn't know their guns. Yes, I do have a sense of humor so how about "I went shooting with Queso"?

dl021

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 21):

Any chance you guys will be doing any canoeing ? We can but hope

Well, we could bring you along as an emergency flotation device but I don't know if they make double wide canoes!  Wink

MDorBust

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 23):
Well, we could bring you along as an emergency flotation device but I don't know if they make double wide canoes!

Maybe we could get a tugboat on the river.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

JGPH1A

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:44 am

Well, we could bring you along as an emergency flotation device but I don't know if they make double wide canoes!

No fear ! I don't travel below the Mason-Dixon Line without an armed escort and an interpreter (and prepackaged food !)  tongue 

srbmod

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:06 am

The first time I ever went whitewater rafting (I had been whitewater canoeing, but that's a different animal) was in 1991 on the Chattooga. That was a great river to run on, but in reality a bit of a rough on to learn on. Did all of Section III and most of IV (we got off the river after Woodall Shoals). Bull Sluice is a hell of a ride to say the least. One of the guys in our group (I went as part of the High Adventure program at my Scout council's Summer Camp) was from Australia and had rafted most of the big whitewater rivers in Australia and New Zealand and said the Chattooga was among the best he had run. I've rafted the Big 3 whitewater rivers of the South (Chattooga, Nantahala, and Ocoee) and of the three, the Chattooga is my favorite because you're actually in the wilderness for most of the run, as road access to the river is very limited (unlike the Ocoee and Nantahala, where a major road runs parallel to most of the river).

Queso

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 22):
Yes, I do have a sense of humor so how about "I went shooting with Queso"?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  That's damned funny! People "out of the circle" would look at you like a dog looks at you when you're making strange noises, though.

As promised in the other thread, I went to the range today and practiced the courses of fire that I'll need to qualify on in a little over a week. I also ran the course of fire that ANCFlyer provided for the AK LEO qualification. This is the first time I've used A.net's photo hosting, so I hope it looks OK, and here are the results:

TX CHL semi-automatic qualification (50 shots), shot with a SiG Sauer SP2022 in .357 SiG:
Big version: Width: 417 Height: 761 File size: 82kb

Big version: Width: 300 Height: 400 File size: 36kb

TX CHL revolver qualification (50 shots), shot with a Taurus Model 445 Titanium in .44 Special:
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 800 File size: 127kb

AK LEO qualification (40 shots), shot with a SiG Sauer SP2022 in .357 SiG:
Big version: Width: 451 Height: 726 File size: 69kb

Big version: Width: 257 Height: 340 File size: 13kb

Note: For the AK qualification course of fire, ANC specified holster draw but I didn't have a duty holster for my SiG, I just used my concealed holster and drew from beneath a shirt, but I didn't have any problems making the time. You want to score that for me, ANC? I know I didn't max it out. That's a good course of fire and I wish that's what we used for our CHL here in TX.

It was really windy out at the range today but I had a good time! Anybody else able to go shooting recently?

MDorBust

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 27):
It was really windy out at the range today but I had a good time! Anybody else able to go shooting recently?

I was down on the ranch this weekend reducing the protein feed loss problem.

I'll get myself out to the range this week and run the CHL drill. I'll put a pic up here so you guys can laugh at me afterwards.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ilikeyyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:00 am

Anybody else able to go shooting recently?

If all goes well, I will be in Daytona this week shooting an AR-15. If I can find a good hangun to borrow while I'm down there, I will try one or more of the quals that Queso and ANCFlyer have listed.

CastleIsland

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:18 am

Damn Queso, that looks to me like some perty good shootin'. What distance are we talking about here?
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

ANCFlyer

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:19 am

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 22):
I'd be willing to go for a US Army hat, but not one that says "Retired". I'm in no hurry to look old.

Wow!  irked   wink 

You want to score that for me, ANC?

9s X 32 rounds X 5 points = 160
8s X 6 rounds X 4 points = 24
Head X 1 Round X 5 points = 5

Score: 189  thumbsup 

One of your head shots is too low . . .

You used a revolver, rather an an auto? The table for a revolver is a bit different - times are increased for the engagements that involve reloading as your speed loader isn't going to rearm you as quickly as a magazine change.

Queso

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):
You used a revolver, rather an an auto?

Naw, I used the auto. Damned thing shoots like a laser if I do my part.  blush 

I "improvised" the first head shot, I didn't realize I hadn't drawn in the pie until I had already shot the first two center-of-mass shots in that drill so I just went for it- my bad. Since I had already done that, I just went ahead and shot the 2nd repeat of that drill.

Since it was my first time to shoot that qual, I was having to look down at my cheat sheet and set the timer every time, I didn't have a spotter with me today. I should be able to do a little better next time because I'll be a little more used to the cadence. I was rushing myself on some of the drills.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 30):
Damn Queso, that looks to me like some perty good shootin'. What distance are we talking about here?

Thank you very much, sir! The Texas Concealed Handgun License qualifications were 3, 7, and 15 yards and the Alaska Law Enforcement qualification was 3, 7, 15, and 25 yards, all of it timed. See reply 191, 206, and 208 in this thread for the specifics: The A.net BHM Big Handgun Meet- Nov. 4 (by Ilikeyyc Jul 11 2006 in Non Aviation)

ilikeyyc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:50 am

ANC,

You forgot the  old  smiley and the one that has your picture imposed on top of it.  Silly

CastleIsland

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:07 am

No doubt he fired that one from a prone position, and the angle did the rest.  Wink
Still probably good enough to put the perp on his ass so you can put the next one a couple of inches higher...

Hey all, as I've told Queso and Ian, I am thinking about coming along to this. Thing is, I've had a few major capital expenditures music-wise lately, and the best flight I can find is ~$450. I'd imagine that I can hind a motel for ~$80 per night, but it still looks like an $800-$900 weekend. By this I mean I probably shouldn't do this, but I probably will.  crazy 

I know BHMBAGLOCK has been doing some scouting out for dinner and drinks, but is there a thought about trying to get a block of rooms at nearby motel?

If I recall, the range is some 25 minutes from Birmingham, so we may want to decide whether we'd be better off closer to the range, or closer to the restaurant/bar. Also, some of the restaurants on his list seemed fairly swank, and might not want a bunch of jean and t-shirt clad A.netters strolling in, since I remeber Ian mentioning that the restaurant should be "closest to the range."

Just some thoughts; let me see how things play out, but it sounds like an interesting meet. As Queso knows, I have fired some rifles in my distant past, and I'm always up for competition. I'll need someone to run some safety stuff past me, of course.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Queso

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:22 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 34):
the best flight I can find is ~$450.

There's lots of time and you'll be able to find a sale. I think you said WN is out of the question, right?

I'd imagine that I can hind a motel for ~$80 per night,

I found a room at a LaQuinta for $58 a night (about $65 a night with tax) with my Texas State Rifle Association discount. If you want to stay there, we can probably work it out for you to get that rate, too.   They always seem to have good, clean rooms. So there's one solution for you.

Also, some of the restaurants on his list seemed fairly swank, and might not want a bunch of jean and t-shirt clad A.netters strolling in

They'll load their shorts when they see me wear my normal range gear in there!

EDIT: P.S., I am VERY strict about "the safety stuff" and we'll make sure you're OK on that. I think it would be a good idea for the first time we all get together there to make it into a "safety meeting" and have a couple of the group appointed as de facto "safety officers", who everyone agrees will have a higher weight on safety matters. Doesn't matter who it is, they just need to be agreed upon by the whole group.

[Edited 2006-07-31 02:30:10]

ANCFlyer

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:37 am

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 33):
You forgot the smiley and the one that has your picture imposed on top of it.

Here you go!  laughing  Thanks to Lew.

Still probably good enough to put the perp on his ass so you can put the next one a couple of inches higher...

Oh, the bastard is bleeding that's for sure . . . but at this point you want him dead! If you've resorted to a head shot (because the body shots didn't stop the bastard) something is going wrong, and the perp needs to be dead - right now. Hit him betwixt the eyes and his hard drive shuts down right now.

I'll need someone to run some safety stuff past me, of course.

That should be no problem. IMO - there will be no 'games' on a live range. The four rules of Gun Safety should be paramount in everyone's mind, all the time. We can laugh and joke and have a great time - but we ARE shooting guns, a certain level of restraint (is that the right word) need be shown lest we have an awe shit . . . and I'm going to be on vacation, not there to practice my EMT Training.

ScarletHarlot

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:46 am

Don't you guys dare go to Ruth's Chris. I went to Birmingham once for a meeting with one of my clients. They took me out for lunch...to PF Chang's. I was so disappointed I almost cried. PF Chang's! I can go there anywhere! Go out for some good ol' Southern Food. Frahd chicken 'n' greens in area code two-oh-fahve.
But that was when I ruled the world

Queso

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:50 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 36):
Oh, the bastard is bleeding that's for sure . . . but at this point you want him dead! If you've resorted to a head shot (because the body shots didn't stop the bastard) something is going wrong, and the perp needs to be dead - right now. Hit him betwixt the eyes and his hard drive shuts down right now.

Technically, looking at where the shot was, it would have been in the area where the spinal cord attaches to the brain and he would be out of action immediately, not being able to take any other acts of aggression against innocent victims (especially since this was a .357 SiG, plenty of penetration). But that doesn't matter for the qualification, if it's too low, it's too low and that's what counts.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 36):
The four rules of Gun Safety should be paramount in everyone's mind, all the time.

That having been said, this might be a good place to start. I present to you Colonel Jeff Cooper's Four Rules of Gun Safety, widely recognized as a starting point for safe gun handling:

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

You can never review this information too many times, required reading before the meet: http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

dl021

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:52 am

Ok....that's a good point. I'd say that we appoint a range master and let that person issue the safety briefing prior to the group doing any shooting.

When it's one or two people at the range there's little problem with controlling for safety, but it's an outdoor range and it's looking like there's going to be enough people to make it imperative that we're all on the same sheet of music as to which end of the weapons the round will emerge and when it's safe to shoot and in what direction.

Weapons safety is hugely important to me and I'm suggesting this to the group and nominating Pepper as the range safety officer who lays out the rules for our group if we think that the range rules could use enhancement. Not that he will be accepting responsibility for any of us, but he is qualified to do this and I think everyone coming will respect what he has to say.

It beats the standard range admonition I use. Anyone have any other ideas that may reduce the odds for an accident on the range?

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 25):

No fear ! I don't travel below the Mason-Dixon Line without an armed escort and an interpreter (and prepackaged food !)

Luckily for you I have an extra can of truffles and can speak effete so you'll be ok....

bhmbaglock

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:57 am

hing is, I've had a few major capital expenditures music-wise lately, and the best flight I can find is ~$450. I'd imagine that I can hind a motel for ~$80 per night, but it still looks like an $800-$900 weekend

BHM is a WN city so you need to use MHT or PVD for good fares. I checked MHT and it looks like about $270-290 RT on most airlines. For some reason PVD is higher.

If you need a place to crash, let me know.

dl021

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:14 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 37):
I can go there anywhere! Go out for some good ol' Southern Food. Frahd chicken 'n' greens in area code two-oh-fahve.

April.....no fears there. If all else fails there's three very good BBQ joints outside of town, and one excellent soul food counter intown near Jim Burke Pontiac where we can feast.

I do agree that perhaps a nice chain is not the appropriate food venue. Luckily we'll always be near a Milos or a Hamburger Heaven.

CastleIsland

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 40):
BHM is a WN city so you need to use MHT or PVD for good fares. I checked MHT and it looks like about $270-290 RT on most airlines. For some reason PVD is higher.

If you need a place to crash, let me know.

Thanks BHM, but Ian has trumped you up with accomodations. BOS-ATL is ~$250. Also, it only costs me $2.15 to get to BOS (I've got a bus to Sullivan Sq about 100 yards from my place, and then Orange to Blue and I'm there - 45 minutes for 5 miles  crazy  ). The ~$45-$50 gas (RT) and time it would take me to get to MHT or PVD is just not worth it. Plus, I like to support my local. I only fly out of BOS, period.

So, throw me on the list. Anyone bringing rifles that I might use for a shot or two?

Queso

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 42):
Anyone bringing rifles that I might use for a shot or two?

You're going to make me have to bring my .30-06 handgun, aren't you?  Wow!

In the beginning discussion about this meet (which started on "another" forum) we kinda narrowed it down to making the focus on handguns since they are much easier to travel with and becuase we might end up getting a handgun range all to ourselves, but I'm sure that some of the others will bring long guns too.

ANCFlyer

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 38):
Technically, looking at where the shot was, it would have been in the area where the spinal cord attaches to the brain and he would be out of action immediately,

Technically, the shot scores a "0" cause it ain't in the pie  wink 

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 37):
Frahd chicken 'n' greens in area code two-oh-fahve.

rotfl 

widely recognized as a starting point for safe gun handling

The STANDARD for gun safety . . . . remember these rules . . . .

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

You can never review this information too many times,

This should be committed to memory.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 39):
person issue the safety briefing

I'll volunteer the Safety Briefing . . . no problem.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 39):
nominating Pepper as the range safety officer

Guess I shoulda read down further . . . I apparently already volunteered  wink  laughing 

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 42):
Anyone bringing rifles that I might use for a shot or two?

Plenty of weapons for you to fire - and the range 'rents' guns so I've read in this thread(s).

Sure your yankee ass can deal with Alabaaaama?  wink 

CastleIsland

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 43):
You're going to make me have to bring my .30-06 handgun, aren't you?

Hey, no worries. Don't knock yourself out on my behalf by all means. I just enjoyed rifle shooting, that's all. I'll be happy to jump into a new arena with handguns.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 44):
Sure your yankee ass can deal with Alabaaaama?

I'll wear my Abbie Hoffman t-shirt.  Wink

Queso

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:25 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 44):
Technically, the shot scores a "0" cause it ain't in the pie

Yup, already conceded.....

But that doesn't matter for the qualification, if it's too low, it's too low and that's what counts.

I think we're off to a good start! We'll bring up more safety stuff and maybe discuss some other ground rules as we get closer to time for the meet, but looks like we are going to have a good range, good eats, good activities and GREAT fellowship!

CastleIsland's making plans to attend now, AWESOME! Hell, maybe Westy's next?  innocent 

AeroWesty

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 46):
Hell, maybe Westy's next?

Decide amongst yourselves who's going to wear the "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is" t-shirt if I do.  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

Queso

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 47):
Decide amongst yourselves who's going to wear the "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is" t-shirt if I do.

Here's the shirt I'll be wearing....

ANCFlyer

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 35):
and have a couple of the group appointed as de facto "safety officers",

EVERYONE is a safety officer. ANYONE can call a Cease Fire. EVERYONE is responsible for safety on the range. EVERYONE has to watch their buddy.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 47):
Decide amongst yourselves who's going to wear the "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is" t-shirt if I do.

IF you show up I will gladly wear it for a day . . . that doesn't mean we will take long hot showers together . . .  rotfl