JoKeR
Topic Author

Iran Preparing For War?

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:10 am

Is this a hint of things to come from Iran? If true, the whole Middle East will end up in one massive war...

Tehran - The head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards called on his troops on Sunday to "prepare themselves to get even" with Israel and the United States, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.

"Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards and Basij should prepare themselves to get even with Zionists and Americans," General Yahya Rahim Safavi was quoted as saying.

"The supreme leader will announce the time for this," he said, referring to Iran's top cleric and commander-in-chief Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/M..._East/0,,2-10-2075_1975615,00.html
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Pulkovokiwi

RE: Iran Preparing For War?

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:27 am

I am heading for my cave let me know when it is safe to come out.
I thought I was wrong but I was only joking!

JoKeR
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 1):

He you're in New Zealand, you've got nothing to worry 'bout Big grin
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 2):

God I hope you are right!

EWRCabincrew

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:32 am

(clicks heels three times) there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...
You can't cure stupid

jamesag96

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:33 am

So should he be taken at his word or is this more saber rattling?

If someone says they are going to kill you, should you believe them or take action to prevent it?
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

skyman

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:35 am

Havn´t there already been enough wars to end all wars? If this happens the world will be in round number III.  Sad

jamesag96

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:37 am

I think we are in Round 3.

A lot of people forget or don't know that Round 2 started in the 30's and in Asia.

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:38 am

Theres plenty of room in my cave but a very strict selection process in force.

Beaucaire

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:44 am

At this stage I assume it is rethoric, to keep the moral of the troops high...
Iran has no major airforce that would be a match for IDF -
So the threat at this stage could -potentially- open the door for missile-attacks from Iranian soil.
But again-they might look a little crazy in the eyes of western observers-but they are far from being fools.Tehran knows very well about israeli strike-capabilities. Also-this monday there will be a visit of Joschka Fischer,Germany's former foreign secretary ,to Iran.he will discuss the situation with the Office for strategic planing and I doubt any major steps that would open a Panora's Box will unfold that soon.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

KFLLCFII

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:45 am

Whatever. If they're gonna bring it on against Israel and the US, then just do it already and get it over with.  Yeah sure

Otherwise stfu, and let us remain increasingly dominant in your region. My truck isn't gonna get any less thirsty.  Wink
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

piercey

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:46 am

Make room, I'm joining you.

If not, I've heard Mars is very nice this time of year....
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 11):

As long as there are some nice Martian wimmen.

piercey

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 12):
As long as there are some nice Martian wimmen.

What? come on, everyone knows there's no life on Mars. They left after their neighbors became annoying as hell.  duck 
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:56 am

I can guess who the neighbours were!!!

BestWestern

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 8):
Theres plenty of room in my cave but a very strict selection process in force.

Hey - if I dress up - and change my name to Pauline???

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 9):
At this stage I assume it is rethoric

Perhaps they are hoping that the IDF fires the first shot, which will brings Saudi and Iran into the battle.

I hope that Israel doesnt do anything stupid. I really do.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 15):

As long as you cook good don't care what you wear. And you better like Alice Cooper and Bob Dylan 24/7 and the occasional Gene Pitney and Donny Osmond.

jamesag96

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 15):
Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 9):
At this stage I assume it is rethoric

Perhaps they are hoping that the IDF fires the first shot, which will brings Saudi and Iran into the battle.

I hope that Israel doesnt do anything stupid. I really do.

What should they do? What would you do if you were threatened?

Falcon84

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting JoKeR (Thread starter):
"Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards and Basij should prepare themselves to get even with Zionists and Americans," General Yahya Rahim Safavi was quoted as saying.

Seems to me we heard such boasting back in 1991 before the allied forces threw Iraq out of Kuwiat. I'm not impressed with such chest-beating coming from Tehran.

What I figured about you: you talk tough, but when the crap hits the fan, you run and hide.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
What I figured about you: you talk tough, but when the crap hits the fan, you run and hide.

Thats me self-preservation number one. Your invite is in the mail.

jutes85

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting JamesAg96 (Reply 17):
What should they do? What would you do if you were threatened?

This is a perfect opportunity for Israel to destroy any threat from Iran. If Iran hits first, I believe that Israel will end Iran's pathetic existance.
nothing

EWRCabincrew

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 19):
Thats me self-preservation number one.

Hell, if you don't look after yourself, guaranteed no one else will. Besides, will the cave be non-smoking?
You can't cure stupid

TPASXM787

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:10 am

most of europe stuck their heads in the sand to until the woke up one day and Hitler was in charge of their country

there comes a point where you have to stand up for yourself, and not let the rest of the world bitchslap you

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):

exactly my friend...this is not surprising.

hope all is well with you

edited to spell correctly

[Edited 2006-07-30 22:21:26]
This is the Last Stop.

Beaucaire

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:12 am

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 20):
If Iran hits first, I believe that Israel will end Iran's pathetic existance.

You seem to be a real war-monger ....
Irans "pathetic existance" lasts since 5000 years - I wonder what crap you will produce once you are grown up...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

jamesag96

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:13 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Reply 22):

most of europe stuck their heads in the sand to until the woek up one day and Hitler was in charge of their country

there comes a point where you have to stand up for yourself, and not let the rest of the world bitchslap you

Truer words.

jutes85

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:15 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 23):
Irans "pathetic existance" lasts since 5000 years - I wonder what crap you will produce once you are grown up...

Yes, they are really useful right now, calling for the destruction of Israel.
nothing

EWRCabincrew

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:28 am

What ever happened to agreeing to disagree, putting the weapons down and ending the rhetoric, from all parties? Not one of us here is in a command decision making position and all we can offer is our opinion of what should or shouldn't happen. What we say here will never make a difference, except to get it off our chests, to the crisis happening now.

Every time a new thread appears about the war (situation/conflict/whatever it is called) it ends up in ugly banter from which nothing good comes. Just like what is happening now in the Middle East.

The fact that these threads turn ugly is exactly why the violence escalates. No one knows when to stop. One things perpetuates another. It has to stop.

I am sure to be flamed for this post, which will validate my post.

On a lighter note:

His post, which some of you have commented on, was probably written in a humorous tone. Take it for face value and try not to read to much into it.

Cheers

[Edited 2006-07-30 22:29:36]

[Edited 2006-07-30 22:33:19]
You can't cure stupid

Touchdown777

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:44 am

All I can say, is ... if your words match your actions, bring it on baby, 'cause I ain't runnin' ...

box 

T7
Made in the USA

dc863

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:22 am

Iran will do best to stay out. It's conventional military would be annhiliated. But hey their dictator is a believer in the return of the 12th Imam....maybe this is what he wants. So be it.

Aleksandar

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:00 am

Well, if I remember well Saddam Hussein was announcing the mother of all battles just a few weeks ago.
First, do you honestly think that Iran would be so stupid and go against Russia's will? All of people are talking about Iranian military might, but we all forget that those weapons are only re-named Russian weapons. The statement does sound scary but it has a diplomatic meaning to put more pressure into finding solution to current crisis soon. In fact, it is the only way to give message to Israel because it is a bit difficult to see Ahmedinejad calling Olmert to discuss current crisis.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

QXatFAT

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:45 am

If Iran does go to war, just how many countries would be against them? There might not be a lot to fight against them, but I am sure countries like China and Russia will not back Iran up.

Would North Korea even let that happen? They will see Iran and Hezbollah are back on the top of the news so they will launch another test missile to get back on top of things.  Smile
Don't Tread On Me!

Dougloid

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 23):

Well, they've got some real experts over in Hezbollah to teach them how to manage the publicity end of things...kidnap and kill across international borders, hide their rocket launchers among the civilians and wave the bloody shirt of victimhood when the cameras are rolling. All this and the've got a good chunk of the world believing their lies-I believe they could sell each other snowsuits and mukluks if they weren't so busy saving up for a few Korean SCUDS.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

bill142

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 am

I am heading for my cave let me know when it is safe to come out

Forget the cave, I'm going to be laying back on a beach in Tahiti.

socal

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:02 am

Syria asked Iran what it did after it saw the blanket of B-52's over Tehran.
"Well", Syria asked......."I RAN"....far Iran said.
I Love HNL.............

damirc

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:28 am

Are there any caves large enough in this world to hold all the people who just wants all of this violence (popularly referred to as "crap", "mess" or similar four letter words) to end once and for all? And anyone doing anything violent can just leave the cave?

D.

StarAC17

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 20):
This is a perfect opportunity for Israel to destroy any threat from Iran. If Iran hits first, I believe that Israel will end Iran's pathetic existance.

Whoever strikes first is irrelevant if the IDF and Iran fight each other directly it will be the start of WW3 and remember that Iran has far more people to fight for them than Israel does and it won't be a walk in the park for the IDF unless they use nukes or carpet bomb Iran it will be a tough fight for them.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

zotan

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 35):

Whoever strikes first is irrelevant if the IDF and Iran fight each other directly it will be the start of WW3 and remember that Iran has far more people to fight for them than Israel does and it won't be a walk in the park for the IDF unless they use nukes or carpet bomb Iran it will be a tough fight for them.

I really don't see something like this developing into the WW3. People aren't that stupid. The US would obviousily intervene in the support of Israel, but I don't see China or Russia coming to the support of Iran. Iran is a rogue country, and China and Russia know that. They don't want to see the world destroyed because of them.

Iran may have more people, but they are no where near as well trained or armed as the IDF. Iran's Air Force is a joke, and that navy of theirs might as well be sunked off shore to create an artificial reef. Any act of war by them would ensure the systemmatic destruction of their existence in just a few days.

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:03 pm

Hope your right if not there is plenty of room in my cave. Falcon 84 has offered to do guard duty.

andessmf

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:55 pm

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 36):
I really don't see something like this developing into the WW3. People aren't that stupid.

Yes, people can and are stupid, and history is littered with the mistakes of great individuals. Wars are not won by those who win the most battles, but by those who make the least mistakes. Hitler kept many battalions away from the D-day landings, on his belief that it was a diversionary tactic, while the real attack would come from Calais. That is one example.

The older I get, the more I can see stupidity in others, just read about the worldwide housing bubble. Hell, I have made some pretty dumb mistakes as well.

jacobin777

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:26 pm

lol..I took some nice photos of NZ 777-200ER today at SFO....maybe I should have bought a one-way ticket to AKL.. biggrin 
"Up the Irons!"

zotan

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:04 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 38):
Yes, people can and are stupid, and history is littered with the mistakes of great individuals. Wars are not won by those who win the most battles, but by those who make the least mistakes. Hitler kept many battalions away from the D-day landings, on his belief that it was a diversionary tactic, while the real attack would come from Calais. That is one example.

Point taken. People are that stupid. I still don't see China or Russia coming to the side of Iran though if they declared war.

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 39):

Look forward to welcoming you to the cave at any time-please bring some chowder from Fishermans Wharf!

andessmf

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:33 pm

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 40):
I still don't see China or Russia coming to the side of Iran though if they declared war.

Neither do I, but my point is still valid, since the mullah's might believe they have more support than not. My understanding is that the vast majority of the Iranians are completely against them.

mham001

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:10 pm

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 30):
If Iran does go to war, just how many countries would be against them? There might not be a lot to fight against them, but I am sure countries like China and Russia will not back Iran up.

Don't forget Venezuela. Those two countries could really f up the oil supply if they can afford it.

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:24 pm

Iran still has a huge ace up the sleeve. They simply have to block the Strait of Hormuz, the exit of the Persian Gulf. This can be done very easily by just dropping a few oldfashioned, simple mines into the sea. Also, Iran has anti ship missiles based on their side of the Strait. A few sunken supertankers will effectively block the rather narrow shipping lane. Also, I assume that, like in the past, private shipping companies will be reluctant to send their ships into a war zone.

Since almost all oil terminals of Kuweit, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Iraq are sited in the persian Gulf, Iran can cut off about 80-90% of the world's oil supply. Then see how the fuel prices will rise and the world economy will come to a halt.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

semsem

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:47 pm

The Iranian Government are no different than the Nazis in the 1930s. They have threatened genocide against Israel and encouraged the people of Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Egypt to rise up against their Governments. Their goal is to take over Bahrain, Iraq and Lebanon and establish a glorious Islamic Shia Empire.

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting Semsem (Reply 45):

Being a bit melodramatic arent we? No one wants Empires. Look at the ones that have failed-British,Soviet,Dutch,Portuguese etc. Don't really think Iran wants to extend its borders. And you forget that Iranians are Persians not Arabs-big difference.

semsem

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:56 pm

Yes Iranians are not Arabs. But they are "Shia" like Hezbollah (40% of the Lebanese) and that makes them "brothers." 60% of Iraqi's are also "Shia" and they consider the Iranians their "brothers."

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 pm

Quoting Semsem (Reply 47):

Thanks for that you obviously know your stuff.

windshear

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:09 pm

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 46):
And you forget that Iranians are Persians not Arabs-big difference.

What has race got to do with anything? Why is does it make any difference if the Iranians are not Arabs?

Your rhetoric is quite concerning IMO...

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman