azza40

Microsoft Train Simulator

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:21 am

Does anyone have the game? I have always wandered what it is like and wheter it is worth the buy.

Aaron  sly 
Not been on here for a good 2/3 years!

mhodgson

RE: Microsoft Train Simulator

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:26 am

Its probably worth it now, as you can pick it up for less than £10 in most shops.

You can also download plenty of stuff for it, some freeware, some commercial. The ECML and WCML have been modelled, as have many of the commuter lines out of London.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

JamieD

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:27 am

I played it once. It sucks.  Silly

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/jamie767/screens/whoops.jpg

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting JamieD (Reply 2):
I played it once. It sucks.

No, YOU suck Big grin Trains are supposed to stay on the track, not all over the place  Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

JamieD

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 3):
No, YOU suck Big grin Trains are supposed to stay on the track, not all over the place  Wink

Whatever.  Wink

azza40

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 am

What lines etc can you drive on the game? Can you do lines woth loads of stops and stations, with passenger trains. Or does it just have cargo stuff?

Aaron  sly 

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:38 am

Quoting Azza40 (Reply 5):
What lines etc can you drive on the game? Can you do lines woth loads of stops and stations, with passenger trains. Or does it just have cargo stuff?

I believe you can drive pretty much anything on tracks. I have heard of plugins putting you in control of streetcars, subways, and the likes.

Looks like a fun game. Maybe I'll pick one up in the discount section at Walmart.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

mhodgson

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Azza40 (Reply 5):
What lines etc can you drive on the game? Can you do lines woth loads of stops and stations, with passenger trains.

All sorts - the default routes are a bit naff, but do have a good mix of usage. you can download plenty of extra routes, stock and activities from
www.uktrainsim.com
www.train-sim.com
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

azza40

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 am

Thanks for all that  Smile Do you think you could download things like the London Underground onto it?

Aaron  sly 

mhodgson

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting Azza40 (Reply 8):
Do you think you could download things like the London Underground onto it?

I think someone did a Piccadilly Line route - try a search on the UKTS forums, it has certainly been discussed.

azza40

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:09 am

I've just seen the Manchester metrolink  Smile That will definatley be my first download when i get it  biggrin 

Aaron  sly 

legoguy

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:13 am

I was once tempted to buy microsoft railway simulater but after reading the reviews, discovered that there were other train simulators. After a while i decide to buy Trainz Railway Simulator 2004 which is not the letest version.

I love the game and you can design you own scenic routes etc etc.

However, when it comes to downloading engines and locomotives and coaches for TRS 2004, it was quite difficult as there is only one site and the methods are downloading are complicated. If the microsoft version downloads enignes like Microsoft Flight Simulator, then it may be the better choice, but I have no idea what the graphics are like.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:15 am

Haha, just checked Ebay. Why would anybody pay $9.99 plus $9.99 shipping, when you can just go to Walmart and pay $9.83?

azza40

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 12):
Haha, just checked Ebay. Why would anybody pay $9.99 plus $9.99 shipping, when you can just go to Walmart and pay $9.83?

LOL! I wonder which stupid idiot would take that offer!

Aaron  sly 

AGC525

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:26 pm

What's to it besides going forward or reverse, stopping every so often??
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

VHVXB

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:40 pm

I've been trying to get my hands on this game and every gaming or computer shop i go to it is either sold out or we don't sell it

BMIFlyer

Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:49 pm

I'ts actually not a bad game.

I reformatted my PC yesterday, so now I have no games whatsoever on it at all right now.

My FS2004 will definately be going back on, as will Splinter Cell, etc. MSTS? Probably not.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

tmatt95

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:31 pm

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 14):
What's to it besides going forward or reverse, stopping every so often??

It is all in the detail. You have got to slow down correctly and in the right places lol. I have played the game and think it is great for people interested in trains. Even for people that do not like trains ( me) it can be interesting to see what it is like to drive one
Matt

md80fanatic

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:57 pm

It is quite difficult to properly control speed in the mountainous passes, while pulling a huge number of cars. If you cannot time things just right, you'll end up like the derailed poster above...or you'll struggle to make it up the next rise, if you can manage to do it at all. Yes, it's a bit more involved than simply forward, backward, and making an occasional stop.

777DadandJr

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:50 pm

Quoting Azza40 (Thread starter):
Does anyone have the game? I have always wandered what it is like and wheter it is worth the buy.

Hey Aaron,
I have MSTS. I got it for my son when he was into trains. It's not a bad game, but to be honest, it's pretty boring. There isn't a whole lot to do after you get the train moving.
If you are running a simulation, let say on the Acela from DC to Philly, you have to watch the signals closely, maintain the correct speed, and slow down and speed up gently because at the end of the simulation, you will be "graded" on your performance. It will tell you if you exceeded you speed at anytime, or if you exceeded the "passanger comfort" level. Also, if you go over the peed limit, the simulation will automatically snap on the brakes, and you will have a "penalty stop." That time will go against you elapsed time vs. you schedule and you get penalized for it.

Like I said, the game is kind of boring. The most exciting thing, according to my son, is that when you see a deer on the track ahead, if you blow the horn, they will run off the track. Though, even if you don't blow the horn, they don't splatter on the front of the train.
Now that would add some excitment!

Bottom line, don't waste your money, IMHO.

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.