nosedive

F1: Hungarian Grand Prix

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:39 am

Here we go again!
Is Renault screwed? They have their dampers back.
Will Ferrari continue their 2nd 1/2 dominance?
Honda, are they for real?
New face on the grid: Kubria, in for an injured JV, will he haul ass for BMW?

Silly season is still in full swing:
Any word on Kimi's '07 ride?
Rosberg says he's happy at Williams, but what about Webber?
Is Klien leaving Red Bull?
Does it all really depend on what Schumie does? Webber says quit while you're ahead.
Next Yrs Sch, who's on it? 1 or 2 races in Germany? Where's the US? What about Spa?
JPM is whining about how he didn't get any good options from F1. Can the good 'old boys shut him up next yr?

SlamClick

RE: F1: Hungarian Grand Prix

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:53 am

What I'd like to see:

1. The race between Schumi and Alonso remain close and thus, exciting.

2. Ditto the constructor's race between Renault and Ferrari.

3. Scott Speed score a point or two. I think he is due.

Maybe if he has some success, and I do think he is a pretty good driver, he can entice Danica Patrick into F1. It has long been my belief that the 'liberal' Europeans are truly closet male chauvinist, misogynists who would do NASCAR proud.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

legoguy

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 1):
Scott Speed score a point or two.

His crash at the start of the German qualifying was abit silly  Smile He should have laid off the gas pedal, other than that, he has shown skill in the past  Silly

Would be nice to see Webber go to Renault where he could be in for a chance for a race victory.

Michelin are pulling out of Formula One next year thus leaving Bridgestone as the sole tyre supplier. My question is...would it not have been a good idea for most teams to choose bridgestone this year so that next year, they could have used this year to gather bridgestone tyre data, leaving them fully prepared for next year.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

SlamClick

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 2):
Michelin are pulling out of Formula One next year thus leaving Bridgestone as the sole tyre supplier. My question is...would it not have been a good idea for most teams to choose bridgestone this year so that next year, they could have used this year to gather bridgestone tyre data, leaving them fully prepared for next year.

I would think so but on the other hand it sounds like the tires used last week won't have much in common with those to be used next week other than the basic round shape. By next year Bridgestone chemists might have tires made from a single molecule of some exotic proprietary compound.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

legoguy

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 3):
By next year Bridgestone chemists might have tires made from a single molecule of some exotic proprietary compound.

Does that mean that pretty much all the data collected this year by the Bridgestone teams will have to be scraped?

Duff44

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 2):
My question is...would it not have been a good idea for most teams to choose bridgestone this year so that next year, they could have used this year to gather bridgestone tyre data, leaving them fully prepared for next year.

Why do you think Toyota and Williams switched this year?  yes 

Quoting Nosedive (Thread starter):
Kubria

Robert Kubica, who will become the first Polish driver to start an F1 race.

1 or 2 races in Germany?

Where's the US?

They'll get something done.

What about Spa?

Bernie's basically hung his rocks out saying they're going back to Spa, so I'd say it's a good bet.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

waterpolodan

Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:53 am

My guess is yes, tires change so much year to year (even week to week) when there is a "war" of the sort we are seeing now that any prior setup/chassis data collected is essentially useless, other than providing a ballpark range for the performance envelope of the car... I haven't checked out the new rules for next year, is F1 going to mandate one set of tires per race distance again, or will it just be a control tire that is changed at all pitstops like they are now? I actually think that ChampCar's idea is cool, where Bridgestone provides blue and red sidewall tires, and the red tires are a softer compound that typically allows a car to lap .5 seconds a lap faster compared to the harder blues, and every car gets one set of reds per race... granted, it is a bit contrived, but if there is only one tire provider, why not add that element of strategy about when to go for the softer tires and allow for more passing?

Aleksandar

Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:22 am

German GP was humiliating for Renault and there is very little time for some drastic changes, so I guess situation in Hungary would be the same.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

bill142

Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:20 am

Michelin need to sort out their blistering issue. The tyre being used in this race would have been tested a few weeks ago as they would already have been cast. Wether our not the spec is different I don't know.

Renault have their dampers back as the FIA are still investigating and have assured Renault that there won't be any retrospective penalties

As for the silly seaon. Webber has been linked with McLaren and Renault now that Frank has let his option lapse. I don't think the whole situation regarding driver placements is incumbet upon Schumachers decision. The apparent Ferrari pre-agreement has apparently lapsed and this would leave Renault free to sign up Kimi or Webber. Kimi would clearly be the better choice but offering Webber to McLaren might suit their needs as someone who can support Alonso whilst not throwing their younger drivers in the deepend.

The dates for Melbourne, Malayasia and Bahrain all appear to be set in stone, with the season kicking off on March 18 in Melbourne. Malaysia will follow two weeks later on April 7 and Bahrain a week later on April 15. The dates for the US GP could be rejigged but I would imagine that you will still see back to back races with Canada as this makes sense

ba757

Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:05 pm

It looks like Raikkonen IS going to Ferrari.

Schumi-Kimi match-up moves closer
Michael Schumacher and Kimi Raikkonen will race head-to-head as Ferrari team-mates next year, according to a report in this week’s Autocar.

The Maranello squad’s line-up has been the biggest talking point of the ‘silly season’ and is the key to the 2007 driver market.

A Schumacher-Raikkonen match-up has been mooted for months, but is contingent both on Schumacher choosing to prolong his Formula 1 career and Raikkonen moving from McLaren to Ferrari.

Both of these scenarios now look increasingly likely.

The word in the Hockenheim paddock last weekend was that Renault’s overtures to Raikkonen have failed and the Finn will head to the Scuderia after all.

Raikkonen’s Ferrari deal has been in the offing for a long time, with persistent rumours – denied by his management – that he has already signed a pre-contract agreement with the team.

And although Renault has made a concerted bid for his services in recent weeks, the French manufacturer’s competitive eclipse by Ferrari is likely to have steadied any ‘wobble’ Kimi had over his decision.

Meanwhile Schumacher is revelling in Ferrari’s resurgence.

The 37-year-old showed every sign of being a man at the top of his game as he romped to his third successive win at Hockenheim and made further inroads into Fernando Alonso’s championship lead.

Ferrari’s technical director and Schumacher confidant Ross Brawn told ITV Sport last weekend that Schumacher is more motivated than ever as his quest to reclaim the title from Alonso gathers momentum – an observation echoed by the German’s manager Willi Weber.

There is therefore now a strong expectation that Schumacher will defer his retirement and re-sign with Ferrari for another year.

The team has scheduled the long-awaited announcement of its 2007 driver pairing for its home grand prix at Monza next month.

Autocar claims that Ferrari will confirm a Schumacher-Raikkonen ‘superteam’ – and that both drivers will have equal status within the team and be free to compete with each other on equal terms.

This would be a departure from Ferrari’s favoured policy over the last decade – during which time the team has been moulded around Schumacher – of having a clear lead driver and number two.

Raikkonen will almost certainly have sought assurances from the team on this score, but maintains that being team-mate to Schumacher per se holds no fear for him.

"I will announce my decision when the time is right, and Michael's decision has no influence on my future," he reiterated in a recent interview with the official F1 website.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36888

--

Thats shite that is!

Adam

cornish

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 9):
It looks like Raikkonen IS going to Ferrari.

Quoting BA757 (Reply 9):
Thats shite that is!

Actually its potentially excellent in my opinion.

Putting aside favourite drivers or teams and trying to be neutral about it, if Kimi joins Ferrari and Schuey stays then it could be fascinating to watch.

Kimi is undeniably quick, and lets be honest is another step up from Michael's previous team mates at Ferrari. Plus I can't believe for a minute that Kimi is going there as a No.2. If he is given equal opportunity in the team then it could be fantastic to watch.

Should Michael get the better of him then it would remove the one remaining nagging doubt as to his greatness that many have often said - he's never had a truly competitive team mate alongside him - and they don't get much quicker than Kimi.

Plus Kimi doesn't strike me as the uncomplaining No.2 that Barichello and Irvine were and Massa is. Given that there could be a great rivalry on the cards. Should Kimi beat Michael easily then retirement will undoubtedly follow, but if Michael gets the better of Kimi then some people really will have to reassess him - particularly to be able to do so at such a late stage in his career.

Of course if Kimi does go to Ferrari then Renault is the big loser. One of the reasons they've been pushing to hire Kimi is they ould end up with a potentially championship winning car without a championship winning driver sitting in it next season. One assumes they'll move Kovalienen up next to Fisichella, rather than place him with Red Bull as has been suggested. Its that or Webber moving across from Williams, but i don't really see what extra Webber possesses over Fisi.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

legoguy

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 9):
Autocar claims that Ferrari will confirm a Schumacher-Raikkonen 'superteam' -- and that both drivers will have equal status within the team and be free to compete with each other on equal terms.

I will believe it when I see Kimi NOT pulling off to the side to let Schumacher past next year.

This would be a departure from Ferrari's favoured policy over the last decade -- during which time the team has been moulded around Schumacher -- of having a clear lead driver and number two.

Is it any wonder he's such a good driver. He always has top priority in Ferrari. The second man rarely gets a look in! Is it any wonder Barichello was so happy to leave.

What is to become of Massa then if Schumacher and Kimi are the new Ferrari line up. Could Renault consider taking Massa or will Ferrari offer Massi a test driving job?

ba757

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 10):

I agree with you.

Provided that Ferrari do let Kimi race Michael - and as many say, Kimi will not be a number two to anybody - then we have the potential for some fantastic racing. I am no Ferrari fan by a long way, but this could be amazing (as you say) to watch.

However when I put my rose tinted specs back on, I'd much rather Kimi have stopped at Mclaren, or at least gone to Renualt.

But who is to say Michael will continue - the other day there was reports that Willi Webber told Michael to win the championship this year and retire. Many people believe that Ferrari will win the championship again this year -- so will Michael take his managers advice and retire if he does win the championship?

Adam

ba757

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 11):
What is to become of Massa then if Schumacher and Kimi are the new Ferrari line up. Could Renault consider taking Massa or will Ferrari offer Massi a test driving job?

I would imagine a test drive again, keeping him for when Michael does retire. If Michael does continue next year, surely it won't be for many more seasons.

Would Massa wait though, thats the question I ask? Would he want to play number two to Raikkonen?

If you ask me, Massa would be better looking for a drive elsewhere.

Adam

ba757

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:30 am

Wurz replaces Webber in 2007 Williams line-up
Alex Wurz will partner Nico Rosberg in the 2007 Williams race line-up after the team sensationally announced on Wednesday that it will not be continuing its relationship with Mark Webber beyond the end of this season.

Wurz will step up from his current role as the team’s test and reserve driver, which he has held since joining the Grove-based squad from McLaren at the end of last year.

Webber’s future is unclear – but with Michael Schumacher and Kimi Raikkonen now seemingly set to team up at Ferrari, Fernando Alonso’s vacated Renault seat is wide open for the Flavio Briatore-managed Australian to secure.

Explaining Wurz’s promotion, team owner Frank Williams said: “Alex brings us important technical continuity and understanding of the car and as well as being an excellent communicator with our engineers, he is ultra-competitive during the Friday ‘full tank’ practice sessions.

“Alex will be a great racing driver for us as he is one of the few men I have seen in a wheel-banging confrontation with Michael Schumacher and come out on top!”

Williams also confirmed that Rosberg will be kept on for 2007 after a sporadically impressive rookie campaign convinced the team of the 21-year-old German’s potential.

“Retaining Nico for next year was not a tough decision,” Williams said.

“He has shown great promise so far in his debut season and I know he will build on this with every race.”

The team made it clear that Webber will definitely see out the season, ruling out a repeat of the Montoya/McLaren scenario whereby the Colombian was replaced by Pedro de la Rosa two days after his shock announcement that he would be switching to NASCAR.

Frank Williams paid tribute to Webber for his stalwart efforts since joining the team in 2005.

“As much as taking great pleasure in confirming Alex and Nico for next season,
I must also commend Mark Webber for his contribution to the team over the past two seasons, as he has been a credit to himself and Williams and has never let up in his pursuit of competitive success,” Williams said.

“I know Mark will give his all until the end of the season and we wish him well in his future arrangements.”

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36893

--
So bets on he ends up at Renault?

Adam

nosedive

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:00 am

Williams is having Wurz and Rosberg for next season.
Read it

JV may not return, hints Kubica's (thanx for the correction, Duff) manager.
Seeing is "believing"

As for the Kimi-Schumie-Massa ordeal, rumors still have Massa at Redbull.
Last sentence

The Kimi deal, if as rumored, may shine some light as to where Webber goes. Renault was looking for Kimi, but that doesn't appear to be working out, but the quiet departure from Williams makes Webber the free agent he wants to be, and Flav is his manager.   

As for the Kimi deal itself, and Kimi would have to race MS for it to work, I'm not a fan of it. Sure, Kimi v Schumie at Ferrari may be exciting to watch, but nothing like Senna v. Prost. They don't hate one another enough. Alonso v Kimi at McLaren might have been just as exciting. Hell, if Kimi went to Renault, a 3 way battle for both the driver's and const's may be just as exciting! Regardless, none of these things will be super awesome if the cars don't pass! or if no one gets punted into the grass... whichever   

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 6):
ChampCar's idea is cool, where Bridgestone provides blue and red sidewall tires, and the red tires are a softer compound that typically allows a car to lap .5 seconds a lap faster compared to the harder blues, and every car gets one set of reds per race... granted, it is a bit contrived, but if there is only one tire provider, why not add that element of strategy about when to go for the softer tires and allow for more passing?

Interesting, but I'd rather F1 have something like a "push to pass" thing goin on. The reason the F1 gods want 1 tire manufacturer is to slow the cars down, and the mixed sets may be too controversial to achieve that goal. Passing does need to be addressed, yes.

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 5):
Quoting Nosedive (Thread starter):Where's the US?
They'll get something done.

Vegas (downtown, not the oval) is a CART track No F1 here

EDIT: Looks like a bunch my points were made I was making my post. Last time I make breakfast while posting  Wink

[Edited 2006-08-02 19:03:07]

ba757

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:51 am

I had a F1 SMS alert to my phone that says:

Quote:

Ross Brawn to step down from his post next season to take a year out of F1 after ten seasons with the team

So is the Ferrari team starting to crumble, if Brawn is leaving for a year, is Michael retiring? Would Michael continue without Brawn?

Personally I think Brawn will convert this sabbatical into permanent retirement, especially if Michael goes. Todt will be next...

Adam

bill142

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 10):
Kimi is undeniably quick, and lets be honest is another step up from Michael's previous team mates at Ferrari. Plus I can't believe for a minute that Kimi is going there as a No.2. If he is given equal opportunity in the team then it could be fantastic to watch.

It could simply be sucession planning. Getting kimi into the team to understand how it works and showing him what he'll be getting when MS retires and he becomes the #1.

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 15):
The Kimi deal, if as rumored, may shine some light as to where Webber goes. Renault was looking for Kimi, but that doesn't appear to be working out, but the quiet departure from Williams makes Webber the free agent he wants to be, and Flav is his manager.

McLaren has also been mentioned. This would be more likley if Kimi goes to Renault. Should Kimi go to Ferrari Webber at Renault is more likley.

nosedive

Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:45 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 17):
It could simply be sucession planning. Getting kimi into the team to understand how it works and showing him what he'll be getting when MS retires and he becomes the #1.

But if he could be an instant #1 at Renault or a shared #1 at McLaren...

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 17):
Quoting Nosedive (Reply 15):The Kimi deal, if as rumored, may shine some light as to where Webber goes. Renault was looking for Kimi, but that doesn't appear to be working out, but the quiet departure from Williams makes Webber the free agent he wants to be, and Flav is his manager.
McLaren has also been mentioned. This would be more likley if Kimi goes to Renault. Should Kimi go to Ferrari Webber at Renault is more likley.

checkmark 
Another piece of the never ending puzzle, where's Hamilton going?

Quoting BA757 (Reply 16):
Personally I think Brawn will convert this sabbatical into permanent retirement, especially if Michael goes. Todt will be next...

Brawn's probably out, but I still think Schumie has one more season in him.

In other F1 news, will Hill race at the GP Masters race at Silverstone? Mansell wants him to!

bill142

Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:44 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 18):
Brawn's probably out, but I still think Schumie has one more season in him.

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 18):
Another piece of the never ending puzzle, where's Hamilton going?

Good Question. Midland are without an engine for next season so they could land cheap Mercedes engines if they take on Hamilton

emrecan

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:59 pm

Hi everyone...

I can't wait till sunday. I hope SCHUMI will win this GP and in ISTANBUL GP he will be the leader of the championship.

As I've told before

Schumi is the best, f... off the rest !!!

Aleksandar

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:41 pm

Quoting Emrecan (Reply 20):

F.... off the rest  scratchchin 
My English is a but rusty, so what does it mean?  angel 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

bill142

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:06 pm

Quoting Emrecan (Reply 20):
Hi everyone...

I can't wait till sunday. I hope SCHUMI will win this GP and in ISTANBUL GP he will be the leader of the championship.

As I've told before

Silver Arrows kill Prancing Horses  wink 

emrecan

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Bill142:

I also like McLaren Mercedes.
My wish for Hungarian GP result:

1) Michael Schumacher
2) Felipe Massa
3) Kimi Raikkonen
4) Jenson Button
5) Pedro de la Rosa
6) Rubens Barrichello
7) Jarno Trulli
8) Fernando "B"Alonso (This is only for you Adam Big grin, otherwise I don't want even 1 point for him )

I just want to say; despite Hungaroring is a very boring circuit I hope we will all watch an excited and great GP without any accidents.
Good luck for all the teams and drivers....

nosedive

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:45 am

And the weather: Something you'd expect in London

The damper case will be heard on Aug 22 But Alonso "doesnt't" notice them at times.

Weber says Shumie's decision to quit is 50-50 Let's hope he chooses the correct 50!

Alonso says Renault to struggle this weekend and at the next 2 races. Doesn't Schumie hate Suzuka?

bill142

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:53 am

Whats the bet that Ferrari are testing between Hungary and Turkey?

nosedive

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:30 am

Other racing news: Da Matta his a Deer at Road America Airlifted to Hospital

bill142

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 26):

Ouch! thats bad news. Hopefully Da Matta is ok.

Duff44

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Cristiano had to be operated on for a subdural hematoma....  Wow!
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=5&id=2538734

I'm hoping this isn't at all like Tom Pryce at South Africa in 1977 when he hit the corner marshal crossing the track...  tombstone 

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 25):
Whats the bet that Ferrari are testing between Hungary and Turkey?

Considering they have their own track, pretty good. All legal if the test is a <50km "shakedown" (which technically isn't a test)

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 22):
Silver Arrows kill Prancing Horses

No, they go up in plumes of smoke before they get there...

bill142

Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 28):
Considering they have their own track, pretty good. All legal if the test is a <50km "shakedown" (which technically isn't a test)

Technically yes. Last year during, what I though, was a testing ban, they tested for days upon days. However this year I do believe that the testing agreement has been ripped up for this year and that this testing ban is enforced by the FIA as its meant to give teams a break.

nosedive

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 27):
Ouch! thats bad news. Hopefully Da Matta is ok.

I started a new thread about it
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1323792/

bill142

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:19 pm

ba757

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:56 am

I have just had another SMS F1 alert, and it says Alonso has been given a qualifying 2 second penalty for driving offences in practice.

Adam

ba757

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 32):
I have just had another SMS F1 alert, and it says Alonso has been given a qualifying 2 second penalty for driving offences in practice.

Full Story
Alonso penalised by Hungarian stewards
Fernando Alonso's world championship challenge has been dealt a crushing blow after he was given a two-second qualifying penalty for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The Renault driver was punished by race stewards at the Hungaroring for an incident with Red Bull tester Robert Doornbos in second practice, as well as overtaking under a yellow flag.

Stewards docked him one second for each incident to be added for each qualifying session, raising the prospect he will fail to make it past first qualifying.

With only the top 16 passing through to second qualifying, his task will be tricky but he will find it nearly impossible to reach the final top-10 shoot-out.

That leaves the Renault driver likely to start from the rear half of the grid on a track where overtaking is next to impossible.

He faces the very real prospect of having his championship lead radically reduced again, following three consecutive wins for rival Michael Schumacher.

His lead is down to 11 points but Ferrari have shown well in practice and Schumacher will now be favourite to win.

Alonso gesticulated angrily at the Dutchman after being held up on the start-finish straight in second practice.

He weaved ahead and then slowed dramatically at the apex of the corner, forcing Doornbos to take avoiding action, a move the stewards have interpreted as a deliberate brake test.

That potentially dangerous move is frowned upon in Formula One but Alonso claimed he was just reminding Doornbos to use his mirrors.

He said: "What happened is the same thing that happens in every race and in the test sessions when you lap someone. The slower cars take so long and they don't look in the mirror too much.

"When you overtake them you always do something to say look in the mirror - and this time it seems that it is really important."

Race stewards disagreed, claiming Alonso's actions were "unnecessary, unacceptable and dangerous".

He was also punished for overtaking a rival when yellow flags were waved to indicate a hazard, an offence he committed towards the end of the session.

Renault confirmed they will not challenge the penalties.

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_.../0,15909,3210_3213_1385456,00.html

waterpolodan

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:31 am

Ouch for Alonso! That is a common move, but it must have been very blatant and dangerous to warrant a 1 sec penalty. Now, it is time for all this site's Tifosi to hope for a clean race for Schuey, this is his chance to bring the championship lead down to 1 point as Alonso will find it nearly impossible to move into the 2nd qualifying session, much less the final 10, and at this track that is as good as a guarantee that he will score minimal points tomorrow.

[Edited 2006-08-04 21:38:15]

emrecan

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:26 pm

A bit off the topic but what do you think if next year Alonso and Kimi both in McLaran Mercedes? Who will be more successful?

I vote for Kimi. Alonso cannot pass him if they are in the same team. (Also let's assume that there won't be any problem or breakdown with the car)

airbusA346

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:23 pm

laughing 

Alonso is getting frustrated.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

rammstein

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 36):
Alonso is getting frustrated.

No, I'm not.

Signed,
Alonso

He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

airbusA346

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 37):

rotfl 

:D

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

racko

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Schumacher just got a 2 sec penalty for the qualifying AS WELL!

Great, we now know a dumbass will win the championship this year !  Smile

rammstein

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting Racko (Reply 39):
Schumacher just got a 2 sec penalty for the qualifying AS WELL!

Damn.

Signed,
Michael.

He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

emrecan

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:30 pm

Great qualifying for Kimi. Schumi and Balonso are really stupids !!!

waterpolodan

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:24 am

Did anyone see the incident that got schumacher the penalty? Reading his comments, it seems he hints that Alonso had it planed to get him to pass under red...

Duff44

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:25 am

They should both start at the back for being just plain stupid....  yes   yes 

How about Massa from Barrichello and Button for a prediction...

Kimi blows up, Schumi and Alonso wreck each other

legoguy

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:56 am

Damn I cant believe I missed the qualifying session! It sounds like it was brilliant. Come on the Honda's, Renaults and McLarens!

I havn't seen the incidents yet but will see them tomorrow!

ba757

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 42):
Did anyone see the incident that got schumacher the penalty? Reading his comments, it seems he hints that Alonso had it planed to get him to pass under red...

I haven't seen it.

Anyway, Schumacher pulls all kinds of shit stunts to maximise his advantage at the expense of other drivers... Monaco for example.

Anyway, both drivers have been penalised so I don't care, it could make for some interesting racing.

The big question, will Massa win his first race, or will Raikkonen win his first race of the season?

I don't suppose you can discount Schumacher or Alonso, Renault fly off the start, so there isn't any reason why they cannot make up a lot of places at the start - especially if there is first corner havoc and they avoid it...

Could be a great race.

Go Kimi!

Adam

CptGermany

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 44):
Damn I cant believe I missed the qualifying session! It sounds like it was brilliant.

In my opinion it was a rather average qualifying except for the fact that both Schumacher and Alonso were penalized.

IMHO, both Alonso and Schumacher deserved to be penalized. Alonso for dangerous driving and Schumacher for breaking a rule, overtaking during a red flag. However, the penalties should not have been equal. Alonso should have been penalized more because of showing bad sportsmanship. I mean it wasn't even a proper qualifying when it happened. It was a practice session!

As for the race tomorrow, I think Massa will make it because the Ferraris are still very fast and as Hockenheim showed he can pull a good race with continuous speed. I am concerned for both Schumacher and Alonso because they might get into trouble during the first few turns. However, since Montoya left F1, the risk of a crash happening descreased immensely.  Wink

bill142

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:26 am

Personally, I think, if Flavio hadn't had a little outburst about the FIA trying to tinker with the championship, MS' little incident would have gone un noticed. Also the stewards are trying to show consistiency this year (which still seems to be inconsistient) so penalising FA would have mean they have to peanalise MS as well.

ba757

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Its raining, fantastic stuff!

--

The Hungarian Grand Prix may start under the Safety Car after torrential downpours throughout Sunday morning mean we are set for a wet start to the race.

The GP2 Series sprint race and Porsche Supercup event begun under "safe" conditions, but were chaotic nonetheless as the track proved particularly treacherous at Turns 1 and 4 and the dip down to Turn 7.

Sources within Ferrari suggest that the bad weather is expected to ease off prior to the start of the race.

But heavy rain continued through the Porsche race, which provided the last on-track running prior to the Formula 1 race, and it now seems likely that even if it stops, the track will remain wet for the opening laps.

With F1’s schedule having changed over recent years, drivers are no longer given an extra practice session to assess track conditions, so the FIA’s only other option in such a situation is to start the race behind the Safety Car.

Rain hasn’t affected a race-start since the 2005 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa and it remains to be seen how the weather plays into the tyre war.

“If we get a proper wet session or even a wet race it is going to be very interesting to see how they compare because it is several months at least since we were last at a [wet] test," said Ferrari’s Ross Brawn on Friday.

"I think what we expect we will see - and I have picked up some clues - is that we will be better in some wet conditions and they [Michelin] will be in others.”

“I know we don't have the situation we had a few years ago where Bridgestone were very dominant in the wet.

“I think Michelin have caught up," he added.

"The challenge will be trying to maximise the period where you have that advantage and minimise the period where you are struggling.

“But it will be fascinating when do get a proper wet race.”

Renault’s Pat Symonds added that Renault had not done any wet testing with Michelin since the season began.

“I can't actually remember when we last ran some wet testing,” he said.

“I believe - and I am talking about Renault now as opposed to Michelin - we haven't done any since December last year.

"But having said that the Michelin teams do work together in the same way that the Bridgestone teams do and if you look at the current extreme wet tyre that Michelin have that I think first came to Canada, it was a tyre that was evaluated by McLaren.

“The results were shared with us and it was a big improvement over the previous tyre and all the teams adopted it as indeed they have to by regulation with wet tyres.”

In its 20-year history, there has never been a wet race at the Hungaroring, although it did start spitting in 1989 race when Nigel Mansell scored a famous victory for Ferrari.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36954

bill142

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:23 pm

Wow.. I've got live timing going (no pictures in this part of the world for probably another 40 - 60 minutes) and on lap 9 what a start by Alonso upto 3rd. I've come in on lap 9 so perhaps I've missing something big at the start.