tbar220

Bush Expands Presidential Powers

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:42 am

Sorry, I couldn't resist  Silly

Bush Grants Self Permission To Grant More Power To Self
August 1, 2006 | Issue 42•31

WASHINGTON, DC—In a decisive 1–0 decision Monday, President Bush voted to grant the president the constitutional power to grant himself additional powers.

"As president, I strongly believe that my first duty as president is to support and serve the president," Bush said during a televised address from the East Room of the White House shortly after signing his executive order. "I promise the American people that I will not abuse this new power, unless it becomes necessary to grant myself the power to do so at a later time."

The Presidential Empowerment Act, which the president hand-drafted on his own Oval Office stationery and promptly signed into law, provides Bush with full authority to permit himself to authorize increased jurisdiction over the three branches of the federal government, provided that the president considers it in his best interest to do so.

"In a time of war, the president must have the power he needs to make the tough decisions, including, if need be, the decision to grant himself even more power," Bush said. "To do otherwise would be playing into the hands of our enemies."

Added Bush: "And it's all under due process of the law as I see it."

Full Article: The Onion

Enjoy
NO URLS in signature

mhodgson

RE: Bush Expands Presidential Powers

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:35 am

Was it written in crayon?  Silly
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

CO7e7

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 1):
Was it written in crayon?

yea, by president Bush  rotfl   rotfl 

-Zaki

scintx

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 2):

yea, by president Bush

You mean to tell me his boss Dick Cheney did not sign it?
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

Beaucaire

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 2):

yea, by president Bush

So WB actually did learn to write ?????  Wow!
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

IceTitan447

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:24 am

Thats so cute, a bunch of lefties having fun, is that what Thats called?

scintx

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 5):

In correct in my case. Been voting a Republican ticket since 1980. Just not real please with the last several years, no let me tell you what I really feel, I'm Pissed! I voted for GWB twice as Gov.
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

Beaucaire

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:28 am

If you call an opposition to auto-empowerment Lefty - I'm a lefty...

A332

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:37 am

Well, it's pretty bad when it's THAT easy to ridicule your precious fearless leader...
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

IceTitan447

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Scintx (Reply 6):
Just not real please with the last several years,

I am in the same boat with you, but it sure beats Gore or Kerry.

Quoting A332 (Reply 8):

Well, it's pretty bad when it's THAT easy to ridicule your precious fearless leader...

Dont even start, we all know how you handled yourself in the republican thread.  cry 

A332

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:51 am

Pot. Kettle. Black. Done.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Klaus

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:30 am

Two possible reactions:

1) I thought djinns usually refused to grant that kind of wish...?

2) Is it 1933 again, already?  mischievous 

deltagator

Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 7):
If you call an opposition to auto-empowerment Lefty - I'm a lefty...

If you believe The Onion is a valid news source then not only are you a lefty but probably an idiot as well.  Wink

That said, I'm conservative and I've grown annoyed with Dubya and more so the GOP and their idiotic spending for a huge government.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Falcon84

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:46 am

And I call you, perhaps, a sourpuss righty, who doesn't even have the nerve to laugh at something funny, because it's about Imperious and almost God-Like leader.

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 9):

That's a matter of opinion. I feel the opposite, not that that's a surprise. It'd be better than this 6-year train wreck.
Work Right, Fly Hard

IceTitan447

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):

And I call you, perhaps, a sourpuss righty, who doesn't even have the nerve to laugh at something funny, because it's about Imperious and almost God-Like leader.

Hope we get a so called God like leader for the next term. The Lord knows this country needs it.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):

That's a matter of opinion. I feel the opposite, not that that's a surprise. It'd be better than this 6-year train wreck.

I guess there is one thing to be said, between Gore and Kerry this country wouldn't be at war.

itsjustme

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:52 am

Disagree. Strongly. I can't imagine either one of them causing a mess comparable to the one this country is in today.

Falcon84

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 14):
I guess there is one thing to be said, between Gore and Kerry this country wouldn't be at war.

We would have been in Afghanistan, no matter what after 9/11. However, we wouldn't be involved in Iraq, which, even the Generals are now saying is close to Civil War.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Klaus

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 16):
We would have been in Afghanistan, no matter what after 9/11.

Without completely disregarding the existing warnings, 9-11 my actually not have happened at all.

If it still had, Afghanistan was an absolute necessity. Nobody around the globe ever doubted that. And both Gore and Kerry would have done exactly the same - maybe except letting the Northern Alliance handle Osama bin Laden...!  crazy   hypnotized 

Falcon84

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 17):
Without completely disregarding the existing warnings, 9-11 my actually not have happened at all.

I disagree. No doubt 9/11 was in the planning stages before Mr. Bush took office in' 01, so I think it wouldn't have mattered one bit if Mr. Gore or Mr. Bush were in office. I feel that Mr. Gore would have made the same decision to go to war that Mr. Bush made. I do feel that Mr. Gore would not have invaded Iraq, and we could have concentrated on Afghanistan, and given them a better chance to make it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:55 pm

between Gore and Kerry this country wouldn't be at war.

No but we'd be saving a lot of trees and trying to develop a plan . . . .

Quoting Klaus (Reply 17):

Please, send your comments to William Jefferson Clinton, Park Ave, NY NY, or to that oversized couble wide trailer he has hanging out over the river in Little Rock now . . .  sarcastic  You don't think, Klaus, that the terrorists suddenly got MAD at the US after GWB took office, eh?

Of course you don't, you're a smart man, you know better.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
so I think it wouldn't have mattered one bit if Mr. Gore or Mr. Bush were in office.

checkmark 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ANother

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:40 pm

Back to this power thing ... Is that AC or DC, 120 or 220v, 50 or 60hz? We need answers to these important questions!!!

itsjustme

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:58 pm

No doubt 9/11 was in the planning stages before Mr. Bush took office in' 01, so I think it wouldn't have mattered one bit if Mr. Gore or Mr. Bush were in office.

I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that al-Qaeda had been planning the 9/11 attacks for years prior to the actual event. I do, however, believe there is a strong possibility the attacks could have been thwarted or at least the casualty rate lessened, had there been an administration in place that didn't have it's head up it's ass with regard to national security. I think it was more than irony that, in a speech President Bush gave on 8/31/01 to celebrate the launch of the White House's new web site, national security was last on a list of major issues his administration planned to deal with.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 19):
You don't think, Klaus, that the terrorists suddenly got MAD at the US after GWB took office, eh?

Probably not. But given the President's terrible approval ratings, I think it's accurate to say a lot of people are MAD at the him and the US now.

itsjustme

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:03 pm

between Gore and Kerry this country wouldn't be at war.

No but we'd be saving a lot of trees and trying to develop a plan . . . .

Sounds like a win win situation to me. A healthier environment AND close to 3000 American GI's would still be alive today, not to mention a hundred thousand or so Iraqi's.

IceTitan447

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:53 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 16):

We would have been in Afghanistan, no matter what after 9/11. However, we wouldn't be involved in Iraq, which, even the Generals are now saying is close to Civil War.

Getting rid of Saddam was a good thing. BUt that part of the world is ALWAYS going to be a mess.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 15):

Disagree. Strongly. I can't imagine either one of them causing a mess comparable to the one this country is in today.

Cut and run is a term used by these libbies, they wouldn't have had the chance to use the slogan.

It is so easy to sit behind a PC and analyze what we should have done. Arm chair Presidents rock!

darrenthe747

Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:50 pm

IceTitan, have you ever served in the Armed Forces?
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

CO7e7

Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:59 pm

Lefty or Righty...call it anything you want. GWB is not the sharpest tool in the box to serve as a president or as a Rancher either.... With all the bad things about him, he is very good at one thing..one thing only and that's BULLSHITTING.

End of story

-Zaki

IceTitan447

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting Darrenthe747 (Reply 24):
IceTitan, have you ever served in the Armed Forces?

What does that have to do with Presidential Powers?

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 25):

Lefty or Righty...call it anything you want. GWB is not the sharpest tool in the box to serve as a president or as a Rancher either.... With all the bad things about him, he is very good at one thing..one thing only and that's BULLSHITTING.

And if it were Bill Clinton you would have never made that comment. It is so easy to make the comments you make when you haven't shit to lose. It is easy to criticize until you are placed in that situation. Keep dreaming CO7e7

AA777

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:56 am

I disagree. No doubt 9/11 was in the planning stages before Mr. Bush took office in' 01, so I think it wouldn't have mattered one bit if Mr. Gore or Mr. Bush were in office. I feel that Mr. Gore would have made the same decision to go to war that Mr. Bush made. I do feel that Mr. Gore would not have invaded Iraq, and we could have concentrated on Afghanistan, and given them a better chance to make it.

9/11 was in the planning stages...and so was the Iraq war. What a coinicidence. They knew it was going to happen- and they let it happen. Perfect for their political agenda.

-AA777

CO7e7

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 26):
Keep dreaming CO7e7

cloudnine   cloudnine   cloudnine  I will do that...
but W is still a big idiot and i will criticize him ALL i want.

-Zaki

tbar220

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:23 am

Boy did this thread degenerate fast. I didn't think an Onion article would strike such a nerve with everybody here! All I got was a good laugh out of it  Silly I hoped I could provide you with the same
NO URLS in signature

darrenthe747

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:25 am

What does that have to do with Presidential Powers?

i only asked because of this:

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 23):
Cut and run is a term used by these libbies, they wouldn't have had the chance to use the slogan.

Sure is easy to say "stay and fight" and "I support the troops" when you're not over there, huh?

dvk

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:47 am

Cut and run is a term used by these libbies,

No it's not. It's a catchphrase used by the "connies" to denigrate anyone who disagrees with "staying the course".
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

darrenthe747

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Dvk (Reply 31):
No it's not. It's a catchphrase used by the "connies" to denigrate anyone who disagrees with "staying the course".

Very true. Come to think of it, I have never heard a "libbie" or democrat, or person opposed to the Iraq war, use this expression. Please IceTitan, tell us where you heard a "libbie" use this expression.

Falcon84

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:06 am

Getting rid of Saddam was a good thing.

The ends do NOT justify the means. We had no business going into that country-a country that many now believe is very close to civil war, thanks to our intervention.

And if it were Bill Clinton you would have never made that comment.

You can't make that comment about him compared to Bush. Yes, Clinton made an idiotic decision vis-a-vis Monica Lewinsky, but it's also true that he is probably one of the most intelligent men every to occupy the White House. Bush, on the other hand, is a dim bulb, of that there's no doubt.
Work Right, Fly Hard

MDorBust

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting Dvk (Reply 31):
It's a catchphrase used by the "connies" to denigrate...

Don't go dragging beautiful aircraft into a political mudslinging fight.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

itsjustme

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:39 am

It is so easy to sit behind a PC and analyze what we should have done. Arm chair Presidents rock!

Cut and run? Where did I say anything about cut and run? My point was, had Mr. Gore or Mr. Kerry been in office, we would not be in the dire straits we are in today.

Call it armchair whatever you'd like but, with someone in the oval office who didn't have a "Saddam agenda", I strongly doubt we would have ever stepped foot in Iraq, even if the 9/11 attacks had occurred. Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11 and all President Bush did was use those attacks as a reason to fulfill his agenda to get some payback for Saddam's plans to kill his daddy. How sad that thousands of GI's and God knows how many innocent Iraqi's have had to die just so President G.W. Bush could see his agenda to completion.

Klaus

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 21):
I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that al-Qaeda had been planning the 9/11 attacks for years prior to the actual event. I do, however, believe there is a strong possibility the attacks could have been thwarted or at least the casualty rate lessened, had there been an administration in place that didn't have it's head up it's ass with regard to national security.

Exactly!

IceTitan447

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:48 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 35):
Cut and run? Where did I say anything about cut and run? My point was, had Mr. Gore or Mr. Kerry been in office, we would not be in the dire straits we are in today.

Never said anything about you sayin cut and run, that is the way of life for the democrat.

Call it armchair whatever you'd like but, with someone in the oval office who didn't have a "Saddam agenda", I strongly doubt we would have ever stepped foot in Iraq, even if the 9/11 attacks had occurred. Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11 and all President Bush did was use those attacks as a reason to fulfill his agenda to get some payback for Saddam's plans to kill his daddy. How sad that thousands of GI's and God knows how many innocent Iraqi's have had to die just so President G.W. Bush could see his agenda to completion.

You are sad person. You probably believe into a ton of conspiracy theories as well.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):
but it's also true that he is probably one of the most intelligent men every to occupy the White House. Bush, on the other hand, is a dim bulb, of that there's no doubt.

That is a matter of opinion. There are a few topics I dont support with Bush, but I am happy with his choice in the middle east, time to realize not everyone thinks the same in your black and white world.

Quoting Dvk (Reply 31):

And those are the liberals and democrats, viscous cycle isn't it.

itsjustme

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 37):

You are sad person. You probably believe into a ton of conspiracy theories as well.

That's the best you can do? "You are sad (sic) person"? Why am I not surprised being that you have no evidence to dispute what I stated in my post. I, on the other hand, have the likes of former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neil and US Gov't terrorism expert Richard Clarke who have confirmed Bush's Iraq agenda long before 9/11/01.

tercer

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:02 pm

Please, send your comments to William Jefferson Clinton, Park Ave, NY NY, or to that oversized couble wide trailer he has hanging out over the river in Little Rock now . . . You don't think, Klaus, that the terrorists suddenly got MAD at the US after GWB took office, eh?

Of course you don't, you're a smart man, you know better.

disagree. No doubt 9/11 was in the planning stages before Mr. Bush took office in' 01, so I think it wouldn't have mattered one bit if Mr. Gore or Mr. Bush were in office. I feel that Mr. Gore would have made the same decision to go to war that Mr. Bush made. I do feel that Mr. Gore would not have invaded Iraq, and we could have concentrated on Afghanistan, and given them a better chance to make it.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):
You can't make that comment about him compared to Bush. Yes, Clinton made an idiotic decision vis-a-vis Monica Lewinsky, but it's also true that he is probably one of the most intelligent men every to occupy the White House. Bush, on the other hand, is a dim bulb, of that there's no doubt.

Why is it when Bill Clinton is mentioned the Monica issue is always the top subject. Lets focus on the Administrations foreign policy, or lack there of! The same group of terrorist that brought down the World Trade Center are the ones that started trying on Clintons watch in 1993 with the Trade Center bombings and what did the administration do, nothing! Then followed in 1996 the Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia, 1998 the US embassy bombings in East Africa and finally the attack on the USS Cole in 2000 and if I remember correctly the administration launched 13 Tomahawk Missiles after the Embassy bombings and at the cost of 1.3 Million a piece "there will be no sanctuary for terrorists," President Clinton Said ... Yeah right, after that quote were did Clinton decide to put US troops: Afghanistan - No, The Middle East - No, the Balkans - Yes.... That's right Mr. Clinton decided that a civil war in Serbia was the most pressing issue to US interest at the time and that folks is were resources were dedicated. The Bush administration has made their share of mistakes, and how, but lets not forget what administration put up with a decades worth of Al-Qaeda attacks and then, ended up using the stealth to bombed Belgrade...

[Edited 2006-08-06 05:16:45]
It's politically sensitive, but it's going to happen.

NWDC10

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:39 am

Bush is a modern day Hitler. He truly wants TOTAL power and He's murdering innocent people. Robert NWDC10

Klaus

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting NWDC10 (Reply 41):
Bush is a modern day Hitler. He truly wants TOTAL power and He's murdering innocent people.

No, he is not. I have no sympathy for this administration, but that's still far off.

RichPhitzwell

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:50 am

Well...he did say it would be easier if he was a dictator.

Maybe one of the kindergarten kids wrote it for him on 9/11 and he finally thought it was pretty enough to sign. Funny, I leaned republican until the ultra conservatives won power and what used to be conservative is now liberal.

And yes we know the Onion is a spoof.

And let the flames rise   

[Edited 2006-08-07 02:55:29]
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

deltagator

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Bush is a modern day Hitler.

There's no help for you if you really believe this idea. He's most definitely not on my Christmas card list anymore but to compare him to Hitler makes you lose all credibility. Nobody comes close to Adolf in the asshole department...not even Dubya.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:53 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 44):

Have to agree that was a stupid remark and silly comparing him to Adolf. Bush is an incompetent but he's around for a while yet. Cheney is probably more dangerous and as to where Donny R is god knows.
I thought I was wrong but I was only joking!

RichPhitzwell

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:17 pm

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 45):
Bush is a modern day Hitler.

There's no help for you if you really believe this idea. He's most definitely not on my Christmas card list anymore but to compare him to Hitler makes you lose all credibility. Nobody comes close to Adolf in the asshole department...not even Dubya.

USER PROFILESEND INSTANT MSGADD TO RESP USERSSUGGEST DELETIONQUOTE SELECTED TEXT

Pulkovokiwi From New Zealand, joined Mar 2006, 572 posts, RR: 0
Reply 45, posted Mon Aug 7 2006 05:53:14 UTC+2 and read 9 times:

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 44):

Have to agree that was a stupid remark and silly comparing him to Adolf. Bush is an incompetent but he's around for a while yet. Cheney is probably more dangerous and as to where Donny R is god knows.

Unfortunatly I have to strongly disagree, not in the since the W is Hitler, but that he could have become. All Hitler was was someone who was able to manipulate the situation for his own good (Think really good business). W at a time had this power and could have (Think post 9/11). He has allowed his power to slip and it shows, but at one time he could have.

I dont think of Hitler as evil, just the people who made him who he was. No man alone can do what happened in WWII.
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 46):

I think you have it wrong there. Hitler was evil and surrounded himself with gangsters like Himmler,Borman and the others. Hitler was able to carry it off with his brilliant oratory which was able to really stir the masses.Its silly to compare Bush with Hitler in any way. Bush is not even a charismatic speaker.
I thought I was wrong but I was only joking!

Beaucaire

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:38 pm

Bush is a modern day Hitler. He truly wants TOTAL power and He's murdering innocent people. Robert NWDC10

Despite my profound dislike for W,I have to admit there is no comparison with Adolf.
Hitler surrounded himself with a sect-like clique of satanists called Nazis-whose main targets were even tied to dark-esoteric goals that many people today are unaware of.
The swastika, used in Asian cultures as positive symbol,has been reversed to make it a symbol of negative energy.
GWB has clearly intellectual shortcomings and an entourage of judeo-christian blindfolds,but is far from planing the systematic introduction of darkness and evil.He might be blindfolded but he's not -at least currently -at par with the corporal from Braunau....
While the current disasters in Iraq ,Afghanistan and Lebanon are an indication of his wrong perception to solve a crisis,I would call it explainable by a strong influence of his entourage.They use GWB to export their ideological picture of the "free world under anglo-saxon-jewish" perspective.

Klaus

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 48):
GWB has clearly intellectual shortcomings and an entourage of judeo-christian blindfolds,but is far from planing the systematic introduction of darkness and evil.

Dick Cheney, on the other hand...!  mischievous   devil 

Beaucaire

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:00 pm

But GWB 's father definitely had some form of evil esoteric links,if you check the picture showing Bush-father with his buddies from S&B secret society..
The logo clearly recall dark SS-insignia...

http://www.government-propaganda.com/skull-n-bones.html