texan

Things That Just Make You Feel Good

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:59 am

Well, today is my last weekday at work. Still working the next two days, but there are only 5 other people here on the weekends. I don't really believe anything good that anyone says about me but always believe the bad. The people here at work have been great, telling me I'm a great guy, nice guy, et cetera, but I still just have a hard time believing it.

So today I came into work early to do my exit interview. Went into the HR office and was doing the interview when she asked if I had some form I'd never heard of before. So she said we'd have to walk down to my manager's office to see if he had it. Got up, walked out the door, and there were about 20 of my coworkers standing in the hallway and they gave me a round of applause. And I was not expecting that at all. They had catered in my favorite meal (chicken enchiladas, steak burritos, rice, beans, sopapillas, and sweet tea). My supervisor, manager, the VP, four line guys, two maintenance guys, and some of the pilots who are regulars all showed up and we had a big meal together. And I gotta tell you, it felt really good to know that I had made some kind of an impact in their lives, whether at work or otherwise. Almost made me cry. Still a bit misty eyed right now  Silly

Anyway, whar are some things that just make you feel good?

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jpax

RE: Things That Just Make You Feel Good

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting Texan (Thread starter):
Anyway, what are some things that just make you feel good?

Taking out the plastic to sign up to be an Anutter after reading for years upon years.  mischievous 

aloges

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:14 am

After two years in college, I'm on my first long-ish break and getting some visible, tangible manual work at home (parents' place) done... oooh the pleasure! Big grin No papers except the ones I make, a.k.a. "plans".

Oh, and I love it when computer/telecom stuff that i set up just works... which is why I'm dreaming of a MacBook Pro and as of today officially hating Siemens mobile phones and software.  Silly
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

IFEMaster

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:25 am

When I wake up to the missus wanting some. Fantastic start to the day if you ask me.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Bobster2

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:34 am

whar are some things that just make you feel good?

Your story made me feel good. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I can be happy just knowing that others are happy.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Sabena332

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:56 am

Tonight, a simple phone call from my best friend made me more happy than a lottery win of several million Euros.

I can't go into the detail, but this evening I was waiting for my friend, we wanted to down a few beers, smoke a bit, and meet with fellow A.net member DTManiac + friends in Dortmund tomorrow to watch the BVB vs. Tottenham test game. Then, around 6pm I got a call, my friend told me that he is in a pretty fucked up situation since Wednesday, I realized that I am partly guilty of bringing him in this situation. We only talked for a minute or so and he had to end the call quickly. After the call I sat here for 4 or 5 hours spending the time with thinking about a million things, I even had to cry, I didn't want to but I simply had to because the situation appeared to be really bad.

At 11:30pm, my friend called again because he could talk for a bit longer. We talked until 30 minutes ago and we found out that the whole situation isn't actually that bad, and that he is doing well considering the situation... Thanks God!

Another thing that makes me feel good is that he called me and told me about everything that has happened, and that we could talk about it. I guess that's another evidence that I am his best friend.

Yeah, that makes me feel pretty good right now, a simple phone call made my day!

Now I need a beer.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

aloges

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 5):
Now I need a beer.

Prost! Big grin

...and one for the road:

German #1: "I'm sorry, but I have to say that you suck at bowling."
German #2, after a brief stare: "But I suck really good!"
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sabena332

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 6):
Prost!

Prost!

Ze jook of zhe evenink! Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

canuckpaxguy

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:52 pm

I'm not much for compliments either. I tend to dispute, disregard or discredit them for any reason I can find. That being said, they're still nice to have once in a while; and I DO miss them when I don't get them. I have to admit it though, compliments from people I admire DO make me feel good. Compliments backed by examples make me feel great.

It's not just compliments. There are lots of things that make me feel good:

• Running into or hearing from old friends.
  • Hanging out on a patio into the wee hours of the morning.
  • Travelling to places far away.
  • Hugs.
  • A good song on the radio.
  • Being trusted.
  • Finishing a monumental task.
  • Laughing.
  • The smell of the first few raindrops on a hot, sticky day.
  • Volunteering for charities and special events.
  • Feeling needed.
  • A certain look I get now and then from some of my friends.
  • Dancing.
  • Knowing I've made a difference to someone, somewhere.
G

m180up

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 1):
Taking out the plastic to sign up to be an Anutter after reading for years upon years.

Welcome  Smile
Werner from SAL

ANCFlyer

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:08 pm

rotfl 

And who says Germans don't have a sense of humor.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 7):
Ze jook of zhe evenink!

Ditto.

Things That Just Make You Feel Good

My daughter . . . when ever we get to be together. We live 3000 miles apart, and it's great that we can see each other 4-5-6 times a year.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LOT767-300ER

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:28 pm

With love to ANC.

EWS

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:30 pm

Airliners.net!

Signed,
99% of Anet!

IAH777

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:45 pm

[sap]

A few years ago, when I was a fresh-from-the-academy rookie, I checked-by on a nasty 18-wheeler vs. Camry accident on the freeway. The truck had changed lanes into the small car an pinned/crushed the driver - a woman travelling with her dog. She was unconscious when I saw her being cut from the wreckage by the Jaws of Life. All I did was call a number on her cell phone (happened to get a friend of hers from work) to get someone to come pick-up and care for her uninjured dog.

Over a year later, I stopped to assist a stranded woman whose car battery had died. There was another lady there with her (a neighbor) who was giving her a jump start. We got to chatting and she mentioned she was in and out of several surgeries for some injuries she'd sustained. She explained that she'd been in a horrific 18-wheeler accident on the Loop and nearly died. After a couple of questions to make sure it was the same lady, I asked her how her poodle was doing.

Almost instantly, she dove head-first into my patrol car, hugged me around the neck and was sobbing uncontrollably. I tried to explain I hadn't done much, but she was having none of that. She thanked me as though I'd been the one who cut her out and put her back together at the hospital.

That and a few similar instances make me truly feel fantastic.

[/sap]

express1

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:47 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 10):

well you didn't when you lost the world cup!!! lol
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

atrude777

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:06 am

Pat-

Great to hear you had a great day at work!

As for me, I had one on a trip to Baltimore just this week. Met a friend of my 2nd cousin, and met her only for the 2nd time, and she pulled me over and said to me "Alex, you have such a gift for making people smile just by shaking their hands, people seem to KNOW they can be friends with you. You have a special gift within you, you survived your medical defect, live and work with it, i know im going to be hearing your name and for good reasons in the future"

I was just absolutely stunned, and this is the 2nd time iv had someone else say this to me, and neither of them know each other. It is nice to hear but im just quite surprised, but all I could do was smile and say thanks and said i hope i make you proud to know me! Smile

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

September11

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:14 am

me having to bowl six perfect games (300) so far

"strike, yes!"
Airliners.net of the Future

Queso

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:31 am

Pausing before you pull the trigger for the last time on an important qualifying shoot and knowing you're about to be the only one in the group to shoot a perfect score. True bliss.

Congrats all around and pats on the back, then it's time to collect the booty from the side-bet.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"- Paul Newman playing the part of Eddie Felson in "The Color of Money"

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Anyway, whar are some things that just make you feel good?

Helping a Poor Beggar to some Food.The Smile after they get it.

Knocking out an Opponent in a Friendly Boxing Match.The few seconds when you see the Space for that KO punch & knowing a few secs in advance this is the time to use the uppercut.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MYT332

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:56 pm

Taking a good shit after being a bit constipated. Relief!
One Life, Live it.

sk601

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:01 pm

Things that make me feel good....many things...for example:

- check-in, boarding and FLYING  airplane 
- LAS VEGAS !!
- Krispy Kreme
- Carl's Jr.
- Starbucks
- Stuart Anderson's Black Angus
- Boston Market
- Baskin Robins
- Manchuwok
- Lone Star
- IHOP, and many more...

snaggletooth  , and I still wonder why I'm overweight... Big grin  Cool

Halcyon

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:01 pm

Eh, snuggling the girlfriend, having her fall asleep in my arms, anything involving her.

I also enjoy charitable things, like my EMS work, Relay for Life, etc. I do highway cleanup and organize these sorts of things whenever possible. I work hard at my work and am appreciated for it; I usually change the groups of people I know into something akin to "second families." It's nice.

No matter where I go in peson, people just end up liking me right off the bat (unlike here, where I've made some people quite unhappy!  Wink ), ans that's happy too.

Smile

Lucas

kjet12

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 19):
Taking a good shit after being a bit constipated. Relief!

checkmark  bigthumbsup 

Good to see others who appreciate the finer things in life!  highfive 

Kris
AA - Doing what we do best.