virgin744

Players For Online Radio Other Than Real/WMP?

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:10 am

I am trying to listen to a UK radio station (Radio 1) over the web but Real Player keeps timing out after only a few minutes. I changed the preferences to increase the timeout to the max. 300 seconds but even though it increased the timeout to around 4.45 secs - it still cuts out.
Does anyone have any other suggested Media players that are better than Real Player?

The other problem seems to be that the website only allows you to use either their own player or an external Real Player. I Tried to open the URL in Windows Media Player but it doesnt recognise it..

Any suggestions?

virgin744

Queso

RE: Players For Online Radio Other Than Real/WMP?

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Virgin744 (Thread starter):
Any suggestions?

You bet! You really need Winamp at www.winamp.com. Then go to www.shoutcast.com and there's a HUGE variety of stuff to listen to.

Even 24k streams from www.club977.com sound like full-CD quality with none of that lispy digital distortion when you use Winamp.

I really dislike Real Player. I think Winamp might be able to play Real files with the right plug-in.

What's the URL of the site you're trying to listen to, I might want to give it a try.

JamieD

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 1):
What's the URL of the site you're trying to listen to, I might want to give it a try.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/listen/

Smile

Queso

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:01 am

Thanks for the link, I just listened to it for about an hour with no problems. I couldn't tell what their embedded player was, but it was pretty good. The audio quality was very good for a 34k stream. I didn't even try the Real Audio player on it.

I'm not sure what to suggest at this point, other than maybe the server was swamped when you were listening to it earlier. Could bandwidth on your end be an issue? Are you using dial-up?

Good luck with it!

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:02 am

Itunes

virgin744

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 3):
Could bandwidth on your end be an issue? Are you using dial-up?

I can't work out what it is either, but I think it may be related to the station as I used my work laptop at home (DSL) many months ago and managed to listen to Radio 1 without any problems for at least 1 hour.

My desktop should handle it no problem - Dell E510, standard setup, nothing extra installed other most mainstream basic software (I try to keep it free from unnecessary software)

I've just connected to the site again and am already listening longer than I managed in the past which never got past 4.45seconds but I'm now past 8 minutes...(touch wood)

Thanks for the advise anyway,

thumbsup 
Virgin744

IFEMaster

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:30 am

www.pandora.com

It's all you'll ever need.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978