B737-112
Topic Author

Do You Believe In God?

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:16 pm

I just wanted to get an idea of the ratio of believers vs athiests.

Ryan

Halcyon

RE: Do You Believe In God?

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:21 pm

A lot more athiests, but:

1 believer here.

B-1
A-0

Gemuser

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:23 pm

NO

A-1
B-1

(A comes before B!)

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

DLKAPA

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:23 pm

So if you don't believe in God you're an Atheist?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Halcyon

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:26 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 2):
(A comes before B!)

Nah, because I beat you too it! Bwah ha ha! Gotta be faster than that. But, yes, normally it does.  Wink

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 3):

a·the·ist ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-st)
n.

One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

gunsontheroof

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:27 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 3):

That would be consistant with the traditional definition of "atheist".

I'm agnostic. Or, in scoreboard terminology, a tie game.

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:27 pm

I do not believe that there's some guy sitting up on a cloud pulling strings. It doesn't mean that I don't believe in either a higher power of some type or the possibility of a collective power.
International Homo of Mystery

airxliban

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:33 pm

I believe in God and I take my faith (Orthodox Christian) very seriously.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Halcyon

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:35 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 5):
That would be consistant with the traditional definition of "atheist".

I'm agnostic. Or, in scoreboard terminology, a tie game.

Do we add a point to each or no points at all?  Wink

coiah756ca

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:37 pm

I believe in a "higher power", but not religion...

Religion==The Opiate of the People
Long live Denver-STAPLETON. RIP the old and best KDEN

skidmarks

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:40 pm

Sorry, a resounding NO here.

Although my wife does. And we co-exist quite happily Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

9VSPO

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:40 pm

Athiest. Religion is a man-made concept based on fear.

skidmarks

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:45 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 11):
Athiest. Religion is a man-made concept based on fear.

Bit like going to work then Ian. or getting married! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:06 pm

Always.
When you see Miracles Happening.You do.I personally believe there is a Stronger Force that Governs all things.People give it many names.
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Quoting B737-112 (Thread starter):
Do You Believe In God?

NOOOOO!!!

flyjetstar

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:17 pm

Yep I do in fact I'm a Pastor at the church I go to.

cedars747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:17 pm

I dont believe in god but i enjoy Christmas  Wink
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:18 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 16):
I dont believe in god but i enjoy Christmas

Well said!

I enjoy my easter holiday as well

[Edited 2006-08-06 10:20:12]

Halcyon

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:33 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 17):
I enjoy my easter holiday as well

You murder bunnies, you filth...careful, this friendly little bugger might make a stop by your lane one day...
Big version: Width: 500 Height: 375 File size: 49kb

Wink

Lucas

QXatFAT

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:35 pm

I am a strong believer and follower of Christ.
Don't Tread On Me!

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 18):
You murder bunnies, you filth...careful, this friendly little bugger might make a stop by your lane one day...

Lol that's not how we celebrate easter here, just for the record.  Wink

We usually have huge (and I mean HUGE) lunch tables with lots of easter beer Big grin

AerospaceFan

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:40 pm

I just wanted to get an idea of the ratio of believers vs athiests.
Ryan

I believe in God. At least I think I do. The more interesting question to me these days is: Does God believe in us?

Look around you. Look how people are engaged in acts of destruction in the place that is most associated with the Western idea of God: The Middle East.

Ask yourself whether an infinitely wise entity would be in any way happy -- no, not happy; shall we say, satisfied? -- with what is being done in the places that he is associated with.

Does God believe in His own creation?

There are, they say, many faces of God; those that say it are usually those not identified with strict monotheism. There are places in the world where God is less anthropomorphic, more Far Eastern, perhaps. To the Western way of thinking, this idea of God is inaccurate. It's false. It's not the God that actually exists.

As I said in another thread: If God exists, He's beyond our perception. He's beyond what we can know. And the man who says he knows God can provide no proof of God, since the idea of proof reduces God to something below our knowledge. It is in some ways a contradiction in terms to say that one can know any entity whose infinity is self-defined.

Belief... that's a can of worms right there. Should the act of belief be indicative of truth? In this connection, for the above reasons, shouldn't belief be a reduction in God's magnificence, in that the belief itself is a conditional aspect that, since it can be withheld, reduces the fullness of His very concept?

Why would God need belief to exist?

I don't believe that He does.

So, a short answer to the question is: I believe in God -- in spite of Himself.
What's fair is fair.

Halcyon

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:52 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 20):
Quoting Halcyon (Reply 18):

Lol that's not how we celebrate easter here, just for the record.

Oh, I was referring to the slaughter of chocolate bunnies, you see. Here I celebrate easter by working more than usual, b/c I do not celebrate them as religious holidays.

Lucas

m180up

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:57 pm

I believe.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 21):
I believe in God. At least I think I do. The more interesting question to me these days is: Does God believe in us?

He does, He trusts in us, that's why He gave us free will, so we could choose between the good path and the wrong path, He is not oppressive, he will let you fail if you decide to, but if you follow His path even against everyone's or most of the people's beliefs even with the difficulty of being against the world, you will see your life blessed in many ways.
Werner from SAL

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:57 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 22):
Oh, I was referring to the slaughter of chocolate bunnies, you see. Here I celebrate easter by working more than usual, b/c I do not celebrate them as religious holidays.

Ohhh okay.. well we eat chocolate bunnies too. I guess I'm guilty as charged then Big grin

And neither do I.

btw why is the picture of the helicopter in your profile not acceptable for a.net? It looks like it would have a fair chance

Doona

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Atheist here.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:07 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 25):
Atheist here.

So we do agree on something afterall Big grin

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:08 pm

No, I don't believe in god. Another atheist here.

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Halcyon

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 24):

Ohhh okay.. well we eat chocolate bunnies too. I guess I'm guilty as charged then Big grin

Yes, it's sad that I'm guilty too, but I no longer hunt the eggs, as I don't approve of the slaughter of innocent me. (From that pic, I also do not approve of reaper bunnies.)

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 24):

btw why is the picture of the helicopter in your profile not acceptable for a.net? It looks like it would have a fair chance

Well, it makes me sad. That's not even near the quality of my upload (I tried twice about a year ago), as I smashed it so it takes up less space, but the first try was for: contrast/motive, and the second was (only changed the contrast) level/distance. Thusly I gave up. Might try again soon with a new edit, but I think they all hate it for whatever reason. BTW, I sold another pic like it to a corporation in Washington (for cheap, only $125), but they offered to pay me for it after finding it online (since pulled and I no longer have it), so I'm depressed that this did not make it. I only try to get a few pics up. Thought that would be my ticket too, oh well.  blush  I guess I suck. I wonder if any photographers here could help with it though?

See ya!

Lucas  sun 

EL-AL

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:12 pm

I am a jew who believe in god.

So "YES" here.
every day is a good day to fly

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 28):
Well, it makes me sad. That's not even near the quality of my upload (I tried twice about a year ago), as I smashed it so it takes up less space, but the first try was for: contrast/motive, and the second was (only changed the contrast) level/distance. Thusly I gave up. Might try again soon with a new edit, but I think they all hate it for whatever reason. BTW, I sold another pic like it to a corporation in Washington (for cheap, only $125), but they offered to pay me for it after finding it online (since pulled and I no longer have it), so I'm depressed that this did not make it. I only try to get a few pics up. Thought that would be my ticket too, oh well. blush I guess I suck. I wonder if any photographers here could help with it though?

Yeah I totally understand you  Sad Remember to re-size your picture in photoshop so there is no loss of quality. But believe me, I've had a lot of pictures rejected too! So far I've only gotten a single picture accepted on a.net. I think it is pretty well done though, that a company actually offered you $125 for a picture that you had taken! Big grin

Right now I have two pics in the upload queue  crossfingers 

Halcyon

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:25 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 30):
Yeah I totally understand you Sad Remember to re-size your picture in photoshop so there is no loss of quality. But believe me, I've had a lot of pictures rejected too! So far I've only gotten a single picture accepted on a.net. I think it is pretty well done though, that a company actually offered you $125 for a picture that you had taken!

Yeah, I never really tried after that. Well, I never tried period, mainly because I just had no urge to. Most photos I take for myself anyway, so it's no big loss. I alwats resize anyway. That one made it past 2 screeners but got rejected both times, so it's not worth it. I generally sell really cheap when people ask me for pics. Yesterday I sold a portrait for $50. Locally I won't charge, but people tip me. It's just a hobby that is semi-self supportive, so what more can I ask for? I also take a lot for the newspaper here and generally get $25/pic for them. I started doing that when I was 15, and don't care about pay. It's just a fringe benefit that I get sometimes.

Anyway, hope your two make it!

Good night.  Smile zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Luke

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 31):
I also take a lot for the newspaper here and generally get $25/pic for them. I started doing that when I was 15, and don't care about pay. It's just a fringe benefit that I get sometimes.

I wish I had a job like that! Big grin

Good night to you, but it isn't night here  Smile

LawrenceMck

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:32 pm

I don't believe in God at all, so it's a "NO" from me here.

Lawrence  Wink
Love It To Live It

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:38 pm

Out here.Majority of my Friends too believe in their GOD,as they could be Hindus,Sikhs,Muslims,Parsis & Christians.
So I've rarely met many that don't.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Halcyon

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:45 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 32):
I wish I had a job like that!

Well, not really my job, as my jobs are in the EMS and resort/hotel line of things, but I do help them out and they've tried to get me to work for them 4 times now. It's nice to know that I have a place to work in Spokane and in Montana if I ever need a job.  cloudnine 

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 32):

Good night to you, but it isn't night here

Well, more like good shower, and now I'm off to bed. Its' 4 in the morning here.

Blue skies,
Lucas

tercer

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:20 pm

believe in God. At least I think I do. The more interesting question to me these days is: Does God believe in us?

Look around you. Look how people are engaged in acts of destruction in the place that is most associated with the Western idea of God: The Middle East.

Ask yourself whether an infinitely wise entity would be in any way happy -- no, not happy; shall we say, satisfied? -- with what is being done in the places that he is associated with.

Free Will... When Jesus was nailed on the cross thier were two murderers, one on each side, about to die. One asked Jesus for forgiveness while the other, mocked Jesus: free will, this was a free choice of everlasting death over everlasting life.

Does God believe in His own creation?

There are, they say, many faces of God; those that say it are usually those not identified with strict monotheism. There are places in the world where God is less anthropomorphic, more Far Eastern, perhaps. To the Western way of thinking, this idea of God is inaccurate. It's false. It's not the God that actually exists.

As I said in another thread: If God exists, He's beyond our perception. He's beyond what we can know. And the man who says he knows God can provide no proof of God, since the idea of proof reduces God to something below our knowledge. It is in some ways a contradiction in terms to say that one can know any entity whose infinity is self-defined.

Belief... that's a can of worms right there. Should the act of belief be indicative of truth? In this connection, for the above reasons, shouldn't belief be a reduction in God's magnificence, in that the belief itself is a conditional aspect that, since it can be withheld, reduces the fullness of His very concept?

Why would God need belief to exist?

I don't believe that He does.

So, a short answer to the question is: I believe in God -- in spite of Himself.

I read Hitchhikers too... ...

Quoting Douglas Adams:
Now it is such a bizarrely impossible coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

It's politically sensitive, but it's going to happen.

Gman94

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:24 pm

I believe in a higher power but I don't believe in man made created religion which is designed to wield power over and instill fear over mankind.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 37):
I believe in a higher power but I don't believe in man made created religion which is designed to wield power over and instill fear over mankind.

Well said!  checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

And look what religion has brought: Lots and lots of wars even though it was supposed to create peace.

rammstein

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:39 pm

Agnostic here. I don't belive in any "man-made God".

And I still think that telling "God thinks this", "God says that" is an insult to the maybe existing Stronger Force. You can't be so arrogant to believe understanding what God thinks (we are nothing compared to God). Of course this is in my humble opinion.

Quoting COIAH756CA (Reply 9):
Religion==The Opiate of the People

thumbsup   Silly
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

solnabo

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:40 pm

I´m NO beliver in God!

As someone wrote in here: its a man-made concept made out of fear!

Micke//SWE  Smile
Airbus SAS - Love them both

kazzie

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 14):
Do You Believe In God?

NOOOOO!!!

Ditto.
Bazinga punk.

BHMNONREV

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:57 pm

Believer: YES

Worshipper: NO

Just call me another lapsed Catholic...

bezoar

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:06 pm

A believer here.

For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. (1 Corinthians 2:11)

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)

[Edited 2006-08-06 13:14:07]
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Klaus

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:36 pm

Yes and no.

I think god exists, but in a completely different way than religious doctrine claims it does.

I see "god" as an idea, a collective imagination, a carrier of philosophical and social concepts which accumulated and congealed in the way humans traditionally packaged such concepts: As an imagined person.

There is no indication whatsoever that our human concept of a god (actually, any of the many competing concepts) had any kind of connection to the actual physical world.

Gods have always been limited to just the societies who worshipped them; No all-powerful god would have been limited by the accidental range and speed of human travelling at the time, but a collective imagination surely would.

Consequences:

• Gods may not be strictly "invented" as some claim, but they emerged, evolved and vanished again on the basis of what was going on in the human minds "carrying" them.

• Spirituality is not just "opium for the masses" as Marx believed. It is (or at least can be) an expression of individual and collective levels of the human mind, with many valid aspects, but a strong need for caution at the same time.

Organized religions are just the extreme and dogmatized solidification of what once was a realm of real inspiration and intuitive direct access to the collective level, even if it was somewhat chaotic and sometimes aberrant.

• There is no real divine will - what is perceived as such is (at best) an expression of individual or collective spritiual inspiration or (at worst) willful manipulation. In the end it is no less ideological extremism to impose certain religious tenets on other people than marxism or other ideologies are.

• There is some real value contained even in dogmatic religions. Jesus is a fantastic role model, completely regardless whether he had actually lived or not, regardless whether a supernatural god exists or not. The same is true for real inspiration contained in all the other major (or minor, or extinct) religions, each despite their own historical ballast and shortcomings.

"Afterlife" is an illusion. Or rather: It takes place in other people remembering us. So on the spiritual level, it is actually "real", just not for the physical person itself. I have no problem with that - I'm adding my ripples to the pond without greedily needing some imaginary reward for myself afterwards.

So no, I don't see anything supernatural going on, but that makes reality actually more fascinating, it makes moral questions more relevant by having to actually do the right thing even without the authoritarian and more than a bit childish "stick and carrot" show presented by many religions.

I often have the impression that religious people have a panicking fear that their entire universe would come crashing down if they were to realize one day that there was no supernatural big bully in the sky. But I am very certain that this fear is baseless - something is not "made" wrong or right by some supernatural being saying so, it just is wrong or right because it makes this world a worse or better place to be in.

While we don't have direct and arbitrary control over the entire depth of our collective imagination, we should be increasingly aware of what we're doing there, what it means and how we need to take responsibility for what's going on. Cults and other mass penomena are a clear indication of the basic mechanisms and the dangers therein, so in the end it is our choice what to do with this capability of ours.

We've gone from nature spirits through religious wars to modern ideologies, all with their respective horrors. But we should also stay aware that the positive inspiration in many religions is also a part of the spectrum, infused with all our compassion, our best intentions and our hope. The brutal and vengeful gods of old were as much our collective creations as Jesus and Buddha were!

We should never overestimate ourselves, but we should also never underestimate ourselves either!

CO7e7

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:39 pm

I was born and raised in the Old City of Jerusalem... so YES i am a believer.

express1

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:49 pm

My wife Linda and i believe in God,Linda has done so for 20 years and i have done so now for 3 years.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

ANITIX87

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:07 pm

Does God believe in us?

i was baptised Catholic, and I was very observant until 1995. My aunt, who was 29, died suddenly of a heart attack in her sleep, two months after her wedding and while she was pregnant with her first child. She was the most amazing person in the world and for her to die was completely unnecessary, regardless of what people say about "her time" or whatever. Since that, I decided that God cannot possibly exist because if he loves us all equally he never would have let Nadine die, because why make people suffer so much for believing in him?! (Nadine was a devout Catholic also). And, once I made that decision, I discovered many more instances where people suffered way too much to have possibly had God's guidance and support with then. My roommate in college, for example, lost both his parents to cancer within a month of each other when he was 13 and his brother was 11. He had to leave England and come to the US, a country he'd never been to before and adapt to a completely new lifestyle. Things like this, along with all the people in the world killing each other and threatening each other for whatever reason, is proof to me that God does not, and never could, exist. Sure, go ahead and say that people are inherently evil and selfish and the things they do are outside of God's control, but Nadine was neither of those things, and neither is my roommate, and they both unjustly suffered (though, it is arguable that Nadine didn't "suffer", but what is death if not bad?).

And, there are so many holes in religion's beliefs. If God created EVERYTHING in 6 "days" (and I've never heard anybody say that he created anything since then) how come the earliest record of homo sapiens we have is only several thousand years old?! Where were all our ancestors when the Dinosaurs, and all the prehistoric creatures were around?! We even know exactly where (in theory) the first people made by God popped up and in years and years of looking we've found nothing!

I don't know how else to put what I feel.

So put me down in the Atheist tally line.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

aloges

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:11 pm

I probably am what you'd call a deist: I think there could very well be something like one God, but I don't like all the strings attached to organised religion.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

bezoar

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 47):
I decided that God cannot possibly exist because if he loves us all equally he never would have let Nadine die, because why make people suffer so much for believing in him?!

Quoting Klaus (Reply 44):
I don't see anything supernatural going on, but that makes reality actually more fascinating, it makes moral questions more relevant by having to actually do the right thing even without the authoritarian and more than a bit childish "stick and carrot" show presented by many religions.

We all seem to have this sense of right and wrong, a sense of human decency, of fairness and justice. From where does that sense arise?
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."