bravo45

Mideast War: Sky News Anchor Cut To Size.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:32 am

By the one and only: George Galloway.
How long have I waited for someone to tell the media the kind of hideous job they are doing.

For streaming:
http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/vi...r/0,,31200-galloway_060806,00.html

For downloading:
http://skynews-clips.videoloungetv.c...skynews/latest/galloway_060806.wmv

777236ER

RE: Mideast War: Sky News Anchor Cut To Size.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 am

Your bone's got a little machine

raffik

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:44 am

I couldnt agree more with what he has said!
I cringe whenever that hag comes on the telly- she is so biased- her tone, her pitch, her blatant support for Israelies! Sky news should be fair, not biased
- Alec

bravo45

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 2):
Sky news should be fair, not biased

Galloway mentioned Rupert Murdoch, I guess he is the owner of Sky news, I know he owns Fox, so..... I am not surprised one bit. At least Sky unlike Fox let somebody like him on their airwaves.

Banco

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:30 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 3):
Galloway mentioned Rupert Murdoch, I guess he is the owner of Sky news, I know he owns Fox, so..... I am not surprised one bit.

Not exactly. Sky News is owned by BSkyB, which is 35% or so owned by News Corp. Which means Murdoch is the biggest shareholder and has a controlling interest in Sky, but is not an outright subsidiary.

Secondly, broadcasting regulations in the UK for news channels are incredibly strict (Fox News has itself fallen foul of these regulations, which they objected to and were basically told if they wanted to broadcast in the UK, tough), and they must be impartial. How close they get to this is of course open to debate (and indeed regulatory scrutiny), but Sky is anything but a British clone of Fox.

Thirdly, where Galloway is concerned, anything but unquestioning outright support for his own views is going to be considered by him to be outrageous bias.

He's entertaining enough, that's for sure, which is why a heavyweight clash between him and someone like Jeremy Paxman is always riveting viewing, but don't mistake his pontificating and agitation for a measured critique of the media.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

dtwclipper

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Thread starter):

What a fool this man is. Sorry, he may bring out your message, but he is not the right messenger.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

md80fanatic

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:59 am

I think he did a fine job, yet again.  highfive  Efficiently cutting through the Orwellian mind control.....Good job George.

Christa

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:03 am

Oh come on, this guy is completely mad. As Banco said, he is entertaining but he talks complete and utter crap.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:10 am

I'm just watching this and it's nice to view British TV after a while.

George Galloway - what a deluded idiot. She was very patient.

Maybe we should send him to the Israeli - Lebanon border.

Israel getting "a bloody good hiding" seems to impress the man.

He and his views are irrelevant.

I agree with 777236ER

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 1):

Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

bravo45

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:13 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 6):

Very much on the topic. And BTW were the photos showing Israeli children signing the artillery shells also forged?? All I read on this forum were people explaining and justifying it. In any case I didn't see any of them on ANY news network.

Quoting Banco (Reply 4):
but Sky is anything but a British clone of Fox.

I didn't pass judgement on Sky. What I said was that they at least let someone like him on the air. So if anything this one clip proves Sky, regardless of it bias is better than Fox. It is almost impossible to top Fox and it will be a tragedy if somebody did it.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 5):
but he is not the right messenger.

Quite strong feelings he stirs in everyone. I personally wouldn't mind anyone speaking the right things though I may need to know more about him but that's not the issue here.

bravo45

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 9):
She was very patient.

Very patient and quite when Galloway asked her to say the name of ONE member of the family butchered on the Gaza beach.

Quoting Christa (Reply 8):
Oh come on, this guy is completely mad.

As I said above, he seems to bring extreme reactions by others, though I am not agreeing with you, I would appreciate even a mad man when he says something right.

AA777

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:57 am

Gotta love that interview. He ripped her a new one... and he had very many good points. I saw it earlier this morning and really was surprised at how he really went at it. I've never seen him before, but apparently he has a reputation for a strong opinion on the matters. He is angry, and rightfully so...its hard not to ramble when you're mad. But the system is so frustrating, to see the kind of spin all news put on these stories. I cant blame him for being sick of it.

-AA777

cedarjet

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:37 am

Glad to see this link being circulated. She is hopelessly outgunned on facts and ideology, but she doesn't concede defeat. He's a hero and this is brilliant telly.

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 8):
He and his views are irrelevant.

Oh dear god. I am unimpressed.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

jfk69

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:04 pm

This guy is a boob. I can see how he was making valid points for one side but this whole clip is just him calling her a silly person and and just yelling over her. When he says that the US is arming Israel with missles to attack the whole muslim world you know that this guy loses all credibility. He is a man with an agenda....thats it.

md80fanatic

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:25 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 13):
When he says that the US is arming Israel with missles to attack the whole muslim world you know that this guy loses all credibility.

Listen again, he says the US is supplying missiles that can be used to attack the whole muslim world. This is the truth JFK....the range of these missiles is well known and documented.

CXA330300

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Quoting Raffik (Reply 2):

Don't be naive. Almost everyone's biased in this conflict-Sky for the Israelis, the Arabic news channels for Lebanon. Sky at least isn't showing pictures and speeches out of context, but at least Al Jazeera hires people who can actually do the job of a news presenter.

BBC seems to be pretty fair............
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

baroque

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:45 pm

Quoting Bravo45 (Thread starter):
How long have I waited for someone to tell the media the kind of hideous job they are doing.

Just for the theatre I will be eternally grateful Bravo45! It might be interesting to collect a best of interviews for George G, I guess the US interrogations on oil for food would figure there.

What Banco says about BSkyB is technically correct, and there may be some independence from Fox, but look again at who the CEO is, none other than James Murdoch. The Dirty Digger does not let the scions off the leach much. Remember that Lachlan left executive posts (although he remains on the main News board), presumably not because the lunches were of poor quality!

Whatever else, I go back to the theatre of it. There should be more Galloways around to put interviewers in their place(s).

gkirk

Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 12):
He's a hero

Are you  crazy  or just  drunk ?
He's an idiot, an embarrassment to Scotland.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Banco

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 16):
What Banco says about BSkyB is technically correct, and there may be some independence from Fox, but look again at who the CEO is, none other than James Murdoch.

Yes, and I remember when he was appointed. There was considerable unease about the appointment, and Murdoch had to go around the shareholders and convince them that it was a reasonable appointment. It wasn't a fait accompli. As I said, a controlling interest, not a subsidiary.

777236ER

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
As I said, a controlling interest, not a subsidiary.

Of course that's true, but amongst Newscorp's news outlets, there does seem to be a general 'Newscorp-view' that prevails throughout. That might be because it's aquired papers, TV channels and magazines that follow the general political view of those already owned by Newscorp. But it might be signs of some degree of editorial control being carried about above each individual element.

Banco

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 19):
Of course that's true, but amongst Newscorp's news outlets, there does seem to be a general 'Newscorp-view' that prevails throughout. That might be because it's aquired papers, TV channels and magazines that follow the general political view of those already owned by Newscorp. But it might be signs of some degree of editorial control being carried about above each individual element.

No, they just can't do that. It's against all the regulations and would get leapt on. What you get is the Newscorp printed media doing a lot of pro-Sky stuff because they don't have the same restrictions on them, but if you watch Sky television the same is not true in reverse. It couldn't be, they'd get slaughtered for it.

Think about the heavy discussion and criticism the BBC get for their coverage, and that's an organisation that works ridiculously hard to try to be as impartial as possible. Now imagine what would happen if there was blatant bias in Sky's coverage.

Sky News is a pretty tabloidy approach in the way that they cover the news, but it is still pretty politically neutral, simply because they don't have a choice in the matter. No doubt Murdoch would love them to be able to back a cause, but they can't.

777236ER

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:36 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 20):
but if you watch Sky television the same is not true in reverse. It couldn't be, they'd get slaughtered for it.

I'm not talking about Sky taking a pro-Newscorp view, but rather taking a very similar general political view to the other Newscorp organisations.

Think about the heavy discussion and criticism the BBC get for their coverage, and that's an organisation that works ridiculously hard to try to be as impartial as possible. Now imagine what would happen if there was blatant bias in Sky's coverage.

I support the BBC more than most, but even I have to admit that a lot of the checks and balances at the BBC came in only after the Hutton report.

I'm not talking about blatent bias, but implied or percieved bias. The BBC tend to go to their Lebanese correspondents first. You could say this is because Lebanon is the country that's being attacked, but you could also claim that it shows BBC bias towards the Lebanese side.

Sky interviewed Galloway, who is an extreme-left caricature. You could say by interviewing such an extremist, they're ridiculing the left, in the same way that Bill O'Reilly tends to interview those on the fringe of the left wing. But you could also say that by interviewing Galloway, they're giving the left a voice.

From the Ofcom code:

Section 3.1 IMPARTIALITY

“It is for each licensee, acting through the executives who commission and schedule programmes, to ensure the service they provide deals fairly with matter of political or industrial controversy, or current public policy”.

3.4 NEWS

“In addition to the general requirement relating to matters of political or industrial controversy or current public policy, the [Broadcasting] Act require that any news, given in whatever form, must be presented with due accuracy and impartiality.

“Reporting should be dispassionate and news judgement based on the need to give viewers and even-handed account of events. In reporting of matters of industrial or political controversy, the main differing views on the matter should be given their due weight in the period during which the controversy is active. Editorial discretion will determine whether a range of conflicting views is included within a single news item of whether it is acceptable to spread them over a series of bulletins.”

Giving political matters 'their due weight' is about as ambiguous as you can get. An 'even-handed account of events' means one view can be presented first, giving a percieved bias. It's explicitely acceptable to air only one side of an argument in one bulletin. While the spirit of the Ofcom regulations is that there should be no bias, it allows broadcasters quite a lot of leeway in their reporting of the news.

A difference in the reporting style of Sky could be because they want to provide a counterfoil to the BBC. But it could also be a sign of editorial control from Newscorp itself.

If you were to give Sky a place on the political spectrum, you'd certainly say it was more right than left. Is it a coincidence that all of Newscorp's other companies tend to be more right wing, too?

Sky News is a pretty tabloidy approach in the way that they cover the news, but it is still pretty politically neutral, simply because they don't have a choice in the matter.

Sad, maybe, but I wrote to Ofcom a few years ago complaining about a piece I saw on Fox that displayed clear bias (it was about boycotting French products). Their reply said that whilst their code outlawed bias in factual reporting, it didn't outlaw bias in editorials. Furthermore, 'editorials' didn't have to be explicitely stated as being so. They felt that a show with a distinct and constant anchor, could include elements of editorial along with the reporting of facts.

tu204

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:50 pm

Actually I completely support his point of view. It really is disturbing the bias of the western news companies. Hey, I am even against the Russian coverage of the events. To get the full picture, if you want to watch CNN or Sky, then also read Al Jazeera and combine what you see on Sky and Al Jazeera, then you are a little closer to the truth.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Banco

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:57 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 21):
I'm not talking about Sky taking a pro-Newscorp view, but rather taking a very similar general political view to the other Newscorp organisations.

OK, that's clarified it a bit.

I'm not talking about blatent bias, but implied or percieved bias. The BBC tend to go to their Lebanese correspondents first. You could say this is because Lebanon is the country that's being attacked, but you could also claim that it shows BBC bias towards the Lebanese side.

The point about covering matters like this is that there is always going to be bias, because it's human beings reporting on things. Equally, the point about the BBC is that they have always tried to monitor it, and post-Hutton report have gone even further in so doing. They aren't perfect of course, far from it, but they go further than any other news organisation in making the attempt.

Sky interviewed Galloway, who is an extreme-left caricature. You could say by interviewing such an extremist, they're ridiculing the left, in the same way that Bill O'Reilly tends to interview those on the fringe of the left wing. But you could also say that by interviewing Galloway, they're giving the left a voice.

I know what you're getting at, but in such circumstances you can find such a justification irrespective of what happens. if they don't interview him, it would be evidence of a far-right conspiracy by denying him a voice etc etc.

Giving political matters 'their due weight' is about as ambiguous as you can get.

It is, but how else can you do it? It always comes down to individual interpretations and viewpoints.

A difference in the reporting style of Sky could be because they want to provide a counterfoil to the BBC.

That's unquestionably true.

If you were to give Sky a place on the political spectrum, you'd certainly say it was more right than left.

Um. I don't know about that. I'm not a huge fan of Sky's approach to news, but I don't discern a noticeable, deliberate bias there.

Sad, maybe, but I wrote to Ofcom a few years ago complaining about a piece I saw on Fox that displayed clear bias

Ofcom themselves expressed the difficulty in dealing with overseas news organisations broadcasting in the UK, and how possible it is to ensure they conform to a UK code.

Their reply said that whilst their code outlawed bias in factual reporting, it didn't outlaw bias in editorials. Furthermore, 'editorials' didn't have to be explicitely stated as being so. They felt that a show with a distinct and constant anchor, could include elements of editorial along with the reporting of facts.

If you outlaw this kind of thing, then the likes of Panorama can't be shown either, and I'm sure you'd agree that that would be a loss. It's a balancing act, and one that generally speaking I think they perform well.

I'm sure you're infinitely happier with our various news organisations than if we had to put up with what passes for news in the US.

jfk69

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:17 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 14):
Listen again, he says the US is supplying missiles that can be used to attack the whole muslim world. This is the truth JFK....the range of these missiles is well known and documented.

That is true, I also have a car that can go 150 MPH, but I don't utilize that option. By him saying that it sounds as if Israel is going to start attacking Dubai and Qatar.....we all know that is not happening, so its a very harsh statement for him to make.

Quoting Tu204 (Reply 22):
then also read Al Jazeera and combine what you see on Sky and Al Jazeera, then you are a little closer to the truth.

Can we all agree that Jazeera is probably not the best news source........??

777236ER

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
but in such circumstances you can find such a justification irrespective of what happens. if they don't interview him, it would be evidence of a far-right conspiracy by denying him a voice etc etc.

Which shows that you can look at everything both ways. You can say that Sky has a left or right bias by interviewing Galloway.

It is, but how else can you do it? It always comes down to individual interpretations and viewpoints.

As that's the case, you can't really say that 'bias is against all the regulations and that they would get leapt on' - bias is completely subjective.

Um. I don't know about that. I'm not a huge fan of Sky's approach to news, but I don't discern a noticeable, deliberate bias there.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Sky presenters seem much more willing to give their personal opinion than BBC presenters. The entire formats lend themselves to Sky giving more opinion during pure 'news' shows - the BBC tends to leave controversial interviews (and questions) to shows like Newsnight and Panorama, shows that have clear editorial content.

To me, Sky looks more and more like 'The Day Today' with each passing, uh, day.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:29 pm

Sky News is a pretty tabloidy approach in the way that they cover the news

checkmark  I agree that it is now and think the standards have really slipped since the Bob Friend days. There are plenty of interviews where I seriously feel like calling and asking if the presenter would kindly STFU and let the person being interviewed actually answer the question. And, what's this new feature all about where anyone with a webcam gets to give their 2 cents worth (around 8pm)... it's become like The Sun on telly.

Still for me the worse journo ever was much praised award winning Kate Adie. Silly cow used to come to TIP and much to her disgust the place was all peace and quiet, so she'd just make stuff up about how bad and dangerous it was there.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

Banco

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 25):
As that's the case, you can't really say that 'bias is against all the regulations and that they would get leapt on' - bias is completely subjective.

Not individual examples, no. But I was more thinking about the Fox News type of approach. They couldn't get away with that. To further make the point, I was (for my sins) watching an ITV news bulletin where they talked about a bombing in Lebanon using the words "atrocity" and "massacre" which struck me as being highly contentious since it implied a deliberate act. Now, that would doubtless attract complaints, but it would only be stamped on if it was a consistent line. It might be for all I know, I usually avoid ITV news like the plague as being the equivalent of the Daily Star on television.  Wink

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Sky presenters seem much more willing to give their personal opinion than BBC presenters. The entire formats lend themselves to Sky giving more opinion during pure 'news' shows - the BBC tends to leave controversial interviews (and questions) to shows like Newsnight and Panorama, shows that have clear editorial content.

I do think Sky use the "anchor" model from the US much more than the BBC, certainly. Whether that's an example of systematic bias is something I am less certain about. I suppose there's a reason why I always prefer the BBC news coverage, and that may be part of it.

To me, Sky looks more and more like 'The Day Today' with each passing, uh, day.

The Day Today was pretty much based on Sky wasn't it?

KSYR

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 9):
And BTW were the photos showing Israeli children signing the artillery shells also forged?? All I read on this forum were people explaining and justifying it. In any case I didn't see any of them on ANY news network.

I don't understand why that is newsworthy. Americans signed bombs that were dropped on Iraq in Gulf War I; hell, if I were in Israel right now I would probably be signing the artillery shells as well!

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 10):
Very patient and quite when Galloway asked her to say the name of ONE member of the family butchered on the Gaza beach.

You mean the family butchered by that Hamas mine?

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 12):
He's a hero and this is brilliant telly.

No, he's an idiot. The Israelis getting a "bloody good hinding" is what he goes on and on about? Has be not been seeing the news lately? 300 dead Hizballah terrorists to about 50 dead Israeli soldiers...now who is getting the "hinding" again?

This guy is delusional. The US is in no way like Iran, but he makes it sound like the two nations are exactly the same. What a crackpot!

bravo45

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting KSYR (Reply 28):
I don't understand why that is newsworthy.

huh!!!
Oh well, being a racist or hold bias of the most extreme type is your right. You just will not be dignified with a response again.

Quoting KSYR (Reply 28):
You mean the family butchered by that Hamas mine?

How many bloody times will I have to slap the Human Rights Watch report to set the record straight??
http://hrw.org/english/docs/2006/06/13/isrlpa13544.htm
Its not for you, its for those others who may have missed it all those times. I know how you are convined HRW is biased and that IDF report is the most fair on the face of this planet.  
And BTW that comment still goes off my point.

What a waste of bandwidth...

[Edited 2006-08-08 15:43:43]

PanHAM

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:42 pm

Something about Mr.Galloway...............

http://www.welt.de/z/plog/blog.php/t...sts_weblog/2005/11/25/poor_trotsky

More can be found under www.welt.de go to weblogs and "The Free West" search for Galloway.

I have great respect for Mr. de Winter, a Dutch Journalist, who speaks out open and without any false political correctness.

What strikes me, is that Galloway equals Terrorist states with Democracies. You find that in many discussions, not only in Germany but in all countries that are true Democracies, with full freedom of speech, that many do not value that freedom anymore, They take it for granted and don't realize that in countries like Iran or within organisations like Hezbollah there is no freedom of speech, in fact there is no freedom of anything.

A British MP should know better, but then, this guy is a left wing populist. As long as they cater for a tiny fraction, let them be clowns. But when the clowns draw enough votes to form majorities with the help of fools, it becomes dangerous.