ba747yyz

Easiest Most Overpaid Jobs

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:56 am

I want to know the easiest and most overpaid jobs you can think of, and if you want tell me why they are so easy, and how much they get paid versus what you think they get paid!

Derico

RE: Easiest Most Overpaid Jobs

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:58 am

CEO, hands down.

The company does well, you are a genious with millions of dollars.

The company busts, you are still a genious because you didn't know what was really going on, with millions of dollars.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

canuckpaxguy

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:03 am

There was an expose recently on City of Toronto workers. Cameras followed around employees as they took two-hour coffee breaks before going to lunch and napped all afternoon. A few friends of mine who work for the City all agree there is a general mentality of trying to do the least amount of work without getting reported for complete incompetence.

You know, it's a difficult question to answer. I know some people who make small fortunes, doing very little work requiring very little skill. They're usually people who've been with a company for many years and are "resting on their laurels" as it were.

I know some others who make rediculous sums of money, but they possess a skill that is highly in demand. A few friends of mine are ISO consultants and are paid exorbitantly for their work ... but they DO work hard even though it never seems that way since they're off all the time. They seem like they do nothing, but actually, they're just really good at what they do.

G

Christa

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:06 am

Leader of Zimbabwe

Reason:- Don't do a lot, ignore issues in your country, allow your people to starve and then use your country's airline to send your wife on shopping spree's to South Africa.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

aloges

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:07 am

Quoting BA747YYZ (Thread starter):
the easiest and most overpaid job

being Paris Hilton

if you want tell me why they are so easy

should be obvious

In seriousness, I don't like this "let your money work for you" mentality that some German banks advertised with exactly those words. Money can't work, and the fruits of that "work" are actually the fruits of someone else's work. I don't envy wealthy people or people who earn a good wage and like to spend it on stuff they like, that's great for them; but I do have a problem with people who live off of nothing but the interest their money is yielding - they don't make any direct contributions to society, i.e. they don't work.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

aloges

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:09 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 2):
ISO consultants

ISO? As in International Organization for Standardization?

UAXDXer

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:13 am

I want to know the easiest and most overpaid jobs you can think of

US Congressman/Senetor .. elected once and they are taken care of for life.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

tercer

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:22 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 1):
CEO, hands down.

ever been a CEO?

First place: The person at Sam's Club that is standing at the exit door just to highlight your receipt (the never really check).

Second Place: The person that stands at the Sam's Club front door checking for your card.
It's politically sensitive, but it's going to happen.

greasespot

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:30 am

Pilot....(unless there is an emergency but since those do not happen every day...)

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

bill142

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:39 am

Suggestion Box Coodrinator for one of the Australian Government Departments. It paid over $40,000 a year.

canuckpaxguy

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
As in International Organization for Standardization?

No, that would be "IOS". Maybe something is lost in the translation ... It's the International Standards Organization. I imagine we're talking about the same thing though. (ISO9000 and ISO14000 etc. )

G

MaxQ2351

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 8):
Pilot....(unless there is an emergency but since those do not happen every day...)

What do you think would be fair pay?!?! These guys are soley responsible for the lives of multiple hundreds of people, and they are solely responsible for a piece of machinery worth from as "little" as about $50 million, to over a quarter billion.

Unless there is an emergency??? Well, since it's so easy, why don't we just go take a 777 for a spin around the pattern!!! Don't worry, it's cake.......since emergencies don't happen that often!!

Anyhow, my votes!!

1st: The guy at construction sites who flips the "Stop/Slow" sign.

2nd:

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 6):
US Congressman/Senetor .. elected once and they are taken care of for life.

You take an ungodly large amount of vacations, you control how much you get paid, how often you get raises, and how much those raises are. You control when you get drug tested, job performance evaluations, and when you get reprimanded for jobs done to an unsatisfactory standard. (when was the last time any of those things happened!?!?!)

3rd:

Quoting Tercer (Reply 7):
The person at Sam's Club that is standing at the exit door just to highlight your receipt (the never really check).

Maybe that's why they weren't offered jobs with TSA  Wink

-Max
The 777-200LR......2 engines 4 longer haul

aloges

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 10):
I imagine we're talking about the same thing though. (ISO9000 and ISO14000 etc. )

yup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ation_for_Standardization#The_name

captaingomes

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:28 am

I want to know the easiest and most overpaid jobs you can think of, and if you want tell me why they are so easy, and how much they get paid versus what you think they get paid!

C'mon, you already have it pretty easy, right?  Wink

I look at where I work, and there are people who work really hard for very little money, and then there's quite the opposite. I also see certain positions where one person does hardly anything, and their replacement will work exceedingly hard for the same money, or vice versa.

Many jobs are as busy as you want them to be. Currently I'm working my butt off for not much pay, but at the same time I'm hopefully gaining some respect from my superiors. I'm hoping this will pay dividends in the future.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

fspilot747

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 8):

You think pilots are overpaid? Since you know what the job is like and all,and every few months go through recurrent training, become an expert in your field (I guess experts make their craft look easy), basically being the core of an airline...why don't you elaborate?

And they are underpaid, if anything. 4th year skywest pilot still makes 25K a year. People need to lose their idea that pilots make 500K a year. Idon't know where that idea came from. You have to spend years at regionals (which are becoming a career nowadays) making 20-25K a year for several years before you hit the 30K a year mark. Still low considering the job. Only very senior guys at Healthy cargo carriers or Legacy carriers that make six figures, and it's not most of your career. It's after spending your whole career working up the seniority ladder.

Easiest money in my opinion? Paying people 30 million to play ball. But hey, if that's what they're worth.

[Edited 2006-08-08 03:34:11]

JAGflyer

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:38 am

Professional basketball players. You get paid millions to run and jump around on a hardwood floor trying to throw a piece of rubber in a net.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

nonrevman

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:50 am

How about a consultant? You get paid just for telling people what you think whether or not it really ends up being good for the company hiring your services.

greasespot

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:54 am

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 11):
What do you think would be fair pay?!

100-150k max for top tier

These guys are soley responsible for the lives of multiple hundreds of people, and they are solely responsible for a piece of machinery worth from as "little" as about $50 million, to over a quarter billion.

Yeah lets get a little melodramatic for a glorified bus / truck driver

Yeah and cops have a greater chance of ding on the job yet are paid far less...

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 14):
You think pilots are overpaid?

I know what the job is like....Check profile...Been working for an airline for over 10 years. 8 years in the operational side....

Since you know what the job is like and all,and every few months go through recurrent training, become an expert in your field (I guess experts make their craft look easy), basically being the core of an airline...why don't you elaborate?

See above

Get a clue, or don't talk about what you don't know about.

I know what i am talking about so I guess i can continue to talk about it.

Look i have been working for an airline long enough to be way past the pilot hero worshipping......My opinion is they are overpaid.....

Plus it is one of those jobs where i bet if say AirCanada put out a call for pilots that start at 40k they would be overwhelmed by applicants....There is never a shortage of pilot wannabe's

GS

[Edited 2006-08-08 04:25:21]
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Garri767

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting Tercer (Reply 7):
First place: The person at Sam's Club that is standing at the exit door just to highlight your receipt (the never really check).

WRONG, the person who stands at walmart and doesnt even highlight receipts! he/she just says hello! Big grin

Garri767
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

aa757first

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:13 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 1):
CEO, hands down.

The company does well, you are a genious with millions of dollars.

The company busts, you are still a genious because you didn't know what was really going on, with millions of dollars.

Too bad your job is always in jepordy, the extreme competiveness to get into the position, you put in at least 60 hours a week and the amazing amount of responsibilty. Yeah, besides that its a cake walk.

You should get 100 Bullshit Jobs...And How To Get Them by Stanley Bing. Funny this thread just got started, as I just got the book a few days ago. It's hilarious. Bullshit jobs:

- Construction Site Flag Waver
- Crumber (the people that de-crumb tables during your meal)
- Pop Diva
- Consultant
- Right Wing Talkshow Host
- Being Donald Trump
- Ayudrevic (sp?) Healer
- Aromatherapist

etc Its a really funny book.

Besides singer, actor, actress, etc, I'd probably say chiropractor or naturopathic doctor. Most chiropractors are just lying anyway (they can make your back feel better, period). Make people's backs pop and then tell them you're effectivley managing their hypertension in the process of doing so. And tell people pills don't do anything because you're not allowed to prescribe them. And naturopathic doctor because not only do you have no skills at all, but you're allowed to prescribe medication (!!!). I've heard of fourth year students in ND school that can't describe breath sounds.

Chiropractor makes around $70,000 a year, naturopathic doctors, based on how dangerous they are, make anywhere from $50,000 to $200,000 a year.

AAndrew

MaxQ2351

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 17):

I know!!! It's so unfair that pilots get paid so much more, even though their training requires college degrees, thousands of hours of flight time, $40,000-$50,000 of their own money on flight training (unless they went military), and other such things!!!

I mean, we all know how bus drivers spend years of their lives and 50 large to get their jobs!!!

That is because the cars they drive are not worth $250,000,000 and if they should ever die in the line of duty, they would not be immediately responsible for the deaths of the 400 people in their car too. While cops have very respectable jobs, their jobs do not take years of professional training, and thousands of hours of "on the job time" to get where they are.

I know what the job is like....Check profile...Been working for an airline for over 10 years. 8 years in the operational side....

Haha!!! Nice try!!!

You know what their job is like?!?!? Well, I guess I know what your job is like too, since I work the ramp!! Same difference, right?!? You've been in ops for 8 years, so you know better than the pilots themselves (who have been doing their jobs 3x-4x longer than you), what their jobs are like. Since I've been on the ramp for about a month now, I well know what your job is like, and I'm able to speak about it in an educated manner too!!

Wow though, 8 years, that's impressive!!!! Except compared to those captains that have been at that same airline for 30 years.....they spit on your 8 years.

Sounds like someone is a little jealous!!!  devil 

I guess it's unfortunate for you that once the airlines fully recover, "top tier" captains will go back to making more than $300 per hour, where you are still making about 1/10th that.......in a good year.

-Max

fspilot747

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:31 am

That pretty much is the top pay, hence you don't really know what you're talking about.
Example:
MAX scale for Northwest Airlines B-747-400 Captain is $144,000/yr.
That's after spending decades working your way up the seniority/pay ladder
-For comparison, 1st yr pay at NWA is $24,000. So it's a pretty big ladder and you don't see decent pay for a while. And 99% of the pilots can't hold 747-400 seniority (and pay) for many years. I know one. He's 747 cap, retiring soon, been on it for just a couple of years.
MAX scale pay for US Air A330 Captain: 138,000
Canada is almost worse, so you can't argue that one.

Therefore, no you do not know what you are talking about.

As a pilot or as a bag loader?

Now you're just trying to ruffle feathers without actually making an reasonable sense. Just like a Heart Surgeon is a glorified nurse.

I know what i am talking about so I guess i can continue to talk about it.

See above.

[Edited 2006-08-08 04:36:45]

tercer

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:36 am

Quoting Garri767 (Reply 18):
WRONG, the person who stands at walmart and doesnt even highlight receipts! he/she just says hello!

Yep I forgot about those folks and some don't even do that much...

who has the worst job?

The guy who dumps porta-pots or airplane lavs, the Guy who drains then cleans the porta-pots then the come back from a job site or the the Jizz mopper?
It's politically sensitive, but it's going to happen.

greasespot

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:38 am

Wow continue with the pilot worshipping.....

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 20):
Since I've been on the ramp for about a month now, I well know what your job is like, and I'm able to speak about it in an educated manner too

I am willing to bet my car that you do not know what I do.... wink 

ounds like someone is a little jealous!!! devil

Why would i be jealous? If I wanted to be a pilot I could have done it.. ..Like I said i am past the pilot worship....

I guess it's unfortunate for you that once the airlines fully recover,

Yeah, like that is ever gonna happen..  Yeah sure

GS

MaxQ2351

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:38 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 21):

It's difficult to rate pilot's pay by year, as they are paid by the hour, and every pilot does a different amount of hours per year. As a comparison:

current NWA 747-400 captain: $177/hr
peak NWA 747-400 captain: $272/hr (between 1999-2000)

current AA 777 captain: $199/hr
peak AA 777 captain: ~$310/hr~

Also, you can average about 75-80 hours per month. 1,000 hours per year is the FAA set limit.

-Max

fspilot747

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:43 am

"top tier" captains will go back to making more than $300 per hour,

Unfortunately, that'll never happen. Airline wages have been slashed in half and the only way they'll get back to the 300 per hour with the 70hr/mo guarantee along with it is when inflation takes over and 250K a year isn't worth nearly as much as it is worth today.

Wish you were right, brother. And welcome to my RR list. Just for knowing a thing or two about pilots and the industry.

greasespot

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:45 am

As a pilot or as a bag loader?

Neither.....More important job than that  wink 

WHere it should be...but lets not forget the O/T and perdiems that add a lot..I know that when i worked in CPH I got $75 american per day for per diems....SAME as the pilots...21 days on then 21 days off....adds up to a fair chunk of change......Yes, i know this is pay for being away from home...but if you do not want to be away from home do not work for an airline.....

..This is for a small airline..not a major airline...

fspilot747

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 24):

It's difficult to rate pilot's pay by year, as they are paid by the hour, and every pilot does a different amount of hours per year. As a comparison:

current NWA 747-400 captain: $177/hr
peak NWA 747-400 captain: $272/hr (between 1999-2000)

current AA 777 captain: $199/hr
peak AA 777 captain: ~$310/hr~

Also, you can average about 75-80 hours per month. 1,000 hours per year is the FAA set limit.

-Max

You're absolutely right, but I used the published, airline standard scale. Sure a lot of senior pilots can pick up trips for 150% pay and pick up extra trips and average 80-90 block hours. But I used the standard scale.

The peak AA777 captain pay will never be 310 again in todays monetary terms. Ever. Those days are over, as much as I wish they weren't. As long as fuel costs soar and everybody and their mother starts up an LCC, they won't double again.

Used to be a good job.

ltbewr

Corporate Executives at many companies
Large law firm lawyers, especially senior partners.
Some unionized construction workers
Computer repair service people

Derico

I was bein faeticious about the CEO thing, but seriously, those 60+ hours a week are not bad at all being a CEO.

It's not like a CEO is doing 60 hours a week of menial labor, or hard physical work, or 60 hours in a cubicle. Those 60 hours include dinners, golf rounds, cocktails, casual conversations, meetings and conventions, etc. It's not that bad. I have never heard of a CEO die of a heart attack...
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

MaxQ2351

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 23):
Wow continue with the pilot worshipping.....

Well, they do carry themselves in a more respectable manner than you do.

I am willing to bet my car that you do not know what I do.... 

Damn, you got me!! You are just TOO clever!!! It's still unfortunate that you are clueless when it comes to what it takes to be a pilot for an airline.

Why would i be jealous? If I wanted to be a pilot I could have done it.. ..Like I said i am past the pilot worship....

If you wanted to be a pilot, you WOULD have done it. The difference is, you weren't good enough to, so that's why you still make 1/10th what they do, but then still complain about their pay, because you are still jealous of them. You trust your life to them, yet you think they are glorified bus drivers?!?! Who's the idiot in this situation?!?! You think they are a bunch of schmucks, yet you trust your life to them. I can't get over this!!! Man, you just keep digging deeper holes, don't you!!

Yeah, like that is ever gonna happen..

http://www.forumspile.com/OMFG-Retard.jpg

Looks like you're just happy to go down with the ship then, if you really believe this!! Perhaps you should consider a job in oil drilling. They keep having to dig deeper holes to save face........just like you in this thread!!!!

-Max

NKP S2

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:49 am

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 16):
How about a consultant? You get paid just for telling people what you think whether or not it really ends up being good for the company hiring your services.

Amen. What a BS sinecure. Oh yeah, I can see where someone is seasoned in a particular discipline being asked his opinon, so long as it's the voice of experience and not the ramblings of someone who couldn't cut it actually doing it. But my eyes roll when I hear some early 20-something yuppie dork who says he/she's a consultant, as though the word alone carried prestige, and without a hint of irony at such an inexperienced age. Consultant of what? Which racing decals look best on a tricked-out civic? Such sagacity Wink

fspilot747

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 26):
WHere it should be...

Wow dude, did you just not cut it as a pilot or fail multiple checkrides? You sound unbelievably jealous. Who else would say something like that?

Think about it.

MaxQ2351

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 26):
WHere it should be...but lets not forget the O/T and perdiems that add a lot..I know that when i worked in CPH I got $75 american per day for per diems....SAME as the pilots...21 days on then 21 days off....adds up to a fair chunk of change......Yes, i know this is pay for being away from home...but if you do not want to be away from home do not work for an airline.....

..This is for a small airline..not a major airline...

::::Digging deeper..........digging deeper::::

Nice try Greasespot. In the majors, like AA, UA, CO, NW, US, DL, pilots make about $1.90 per hour per diem on domestic, and $2.10 per diem on international. Unless there are.........35 hours in a day, they won't make $75 per diem!!! It was a nice try though, but you SHOULD stop making stuff up, as I can rebuff your BS rather easily!!

Too bad you STILL don't know what you're talking about!! Maybe that's why you haven't told us what you do for a job, or what airline you work for. I've heard there have been teriffic advances in virtual reality......are you sure you aren't in a waking dream?!?!

-Max

greasespot

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:57 am

Hello the thread title is about the easist most over paid job....I gave my opinion...nothing else..You obviously have a different opinion...

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 30):
t's still unfortunate that you are clueless when it comes to what it takes to be a pilot for an airline.

I will let you think that.......I on the other hand know differently.

If you wanted to be a pilot, you WOULD have done it

Bingo.......I do not want to be one.....Riding jumpeats for years has shown me that it was a dull job.

so that's why you still make 1/10th what they do

Since they make so little i guess i make 1/5th they do and not 1/10...But then you really have no idea what i get paid so this is a moot point.

GS

prosa

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting Garri767 (Reply 18):
WRONG, the person who stands at walmart and doesnt even highlight receipts! he/she just says hello!

These Wal-Mart greeters are there for a purpose. The company has determined that having greeters acknowledge customers as they enter the stores actually helps deter shoplifters, even though the greeters aren't security workers. Apparently, some would-be shoplifters are deterred if their presence in the stores is noted in any way.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

fumanchewd

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:59 am

What do you think would be fair pay?!?! These guys are soley responsible for the lives of multiple hundreds of people, and they are solely responsible for a piece of machinery worth from as "little" as about $50 million, to over a quarter billion.

Unless there is an emergency??? Well, since it's so easy, why don't we just go take a 777 for a spin around the pattern!!! Don't worry, it's cake.......since emergencies don't happen that often!!

Soley responsible!!??? Oh....I understand now -a 20 year old starter pilot. Ask any pilot if they are "soley responsible" for the people on the flights and they will tell you no.

I agree with her that airline pilots are paid too much. Especially when you look at what the Customer Service/Flight Attendants/Line Service are making. I agree that they should not make more than $125K tops.

checkmark 

They do have alot of lives in their hands but so do the ops/mechanics/atc/etc.
As Greasepot has pointed out many underpaid civilian jobs have at least as much responsiblity.

4th year skywest pilot still makes 25K a year.

Maybe a fourth year 1st officer who was a punk and bought his training. They deserve not to make money. Is that you?

Since you know what the job is like and all,and every few months go through recurrent training, become an expert in your field (I guess experts make their craft look easy), basically being the core of an airline...why don't you elaborate?

OK, you seem to be condescending to people that whom you know nothing about. I have also worked in aviation for over 15 years and agree with her assessment. Pilot's are certainly important, but "the core"??? Come on that's typical pilot ego. That's why a 25 year international pilot is making $175K+ and a 25 year international f/a is making $25-$30. Sure airline pilots deserve more, but not in the manner that they dwarf their colleagues.

As for the most overpaid-it would definitely have to be a fluffer. I can't believe that people would get paid for what most of a.net would do for free. Smile
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

itsjustme

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:00 pm

I guess it's unfortunate for you that once the airlines fully recover, "top tier" captains will go back to making more than $300 per hour, where you are still making about 1/10th that.......in a good year.

Hey Max, ever stop to consider that maybe those $300/Hr pilots are one of the reasons their companies have not only had to resort to filing for bankruptcy but are asking for concessions from their employees?

You know what their job is like?!?!? Well, I guess I know what your job is like too, since I work the ramp!! Same difference, right?!? You've been in ops for 8 years, so you know better than the pilots themselves (who have been doing their jobs 3x-4x longer than you), what their jobs are like. Since I've been on the ramp for about a month now, I well know what your job is like, and I'm able to speak about it in an educated manner too!!

So it sounds like you are just as unqualified as Greasespot to know what a pilot's job is like. I checked your profile and I don't see anything in the "Occupation" field that reads "Commercial Airline Pilot". If you're going to chastise someone for being unqualified to voice an opinion about a particular profession, perhaps you should heed your own advice.

MaxQ2351

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:02 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 34):
I will let you think that.......I on the other hand know differently.

Since you've sit in on the 3-4 hour annual checkrides where they put those pilots through hell on earth, push them a little harder for good measure, throw a few more problems at them, then evaluate them to see if they are fit to keep their job for 12 more months.

Bingo.......I do not want to be one.....Riding jumpeats for years has shown me that it was a dull job.

Or maybe that it is a LOT harder than you think.

Since they make so little i guess i make 1/5th they do and not 1/10...But then you really have no idea what i get paid so this is a moot point.

A senior international captain at a major airline may work 9-12 days per month, yet they make 5x more than you, while working half as much. Because of this, you still think you can convince me there are not a few degrees of jealousy behind your opinions!?!

-Max

gunsontheroof

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:03 pm

There's no such thing as being "overpaid". You're worth (in monetary terms) what someone is willing to pay you. Simple economics.

greasespot

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 33):
hey won't make $75 per diem!!! It was a nice try though, but you SHOULD stop making stuff up, as I can rebuff your BS rather easily!!

Ummm I never said I worked for any of them....I was comparing what I made to our pilots. If you like i can show ( well i would have to scan it tomorrow) you our contract that stipulates 75 american per diem per day for internationl(including the USA) working. WE get 43 per day for Domestic canada......54 if we work in the Arctic and finally 75 US for everywhere else.

Too bad you STILL don't know what you're talking about!! Maybe that's why you haven't told us what you do for a job

Occupation: AME/analyst /subject to change. Wow amazing what you can find out when you click on a person profile...

As for company i have worked for an Arctic airline in Canada..( well i said it in an indirect way as i gave our per diem rate for arctic work)..since there are two of them and only one based in YOW do I need to draw you a map?

GS

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:06 pm

You know you're at an easy and overpaid job when.....you're unionized  Silly.
E pur si muove -Galileo

fspilot747

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:06 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 36):
Come on that's typical pilot ego. That's why a 25 year international pilot is making $175K+ and a 25 year international f/a is making $25-$30. Sure airline pilots deserve more, but not in the manner that they dwarf their colleagues.

Oh gimme a break man. F/As should get paid alongside airline pilots for serving drinks? Yes they're there for the safety aspects, but their daily job involves serving drinks and peanuts. Not even meals anymore (in the U.S.).

That just doesn't make any sense. According to your logic, receptionist at the hospital should not make a whole lot less than the attending surgeon.

[Edited 2006-08-08 05:10:08]

fspilot747

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Maybe a fourth year 1st officer who was a punk and bought his training. They deserve not to make money. Is that you?

No. They don't pay differently to punks or people who bought their training. It's a standard scale.

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 38):
A senior international captain at a major airline may work 9-12 days per month, yet they make 5x more than you, while working half as much. Because of this, you still think you can convince me there are not a few degrees of jealousy behind your opinions!?!

Max, while I admire your spirit, I think you're also a little misinformed. The days of 250K a year captains working 9 days a mo. are, for the most part, long gone. I know several of these 25-30 year captains who do not have it this great and they are at the "legacies." If you are going for becoming an airline pilot, I hope, for your sake, you do not have these expectations.

fumanchewd

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:09 pm

That pretty much is the top pay, hence you don't really know what you're talking about.

I've met some senior captains making $225K

Too bad you STILL don't know what you're talking about!! Maybe that's why you haven't told us what you do for a job, or what airline you work for. I've heard there have been teriffic advances in virtual reality......are you sure you aren't in a waking dream?!?!

Man..you kids today are crazy.

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 27):
Used to be a good job.

Than please quit. I am a pilot, I work with pilots, and I've met enough egotistical such as your CFI (woooow) self to know that they your attitude will be detrimental to your career. Please, in your first interview tell them you would like the job and you deserve to make lots $$ because you are the godly hero "soley responsible" for all of those onboard. I can't wait until your first captain puts you in your place.

Back to the thread kid.

fumanchewd

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 43):
No. They don't pay differently to punks or people who bought their training. It's a standard scale.

That shows your ignorance. Senior pilots and many people I know who hire, will overlook you for promotions or the initial if you've paid your way up. They will also not hire people who cannot get along with the people who are the "core" of the airline. Mtx/ops/csr/line.

MaxQ2351

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 37):
So it sounds like you are just as unqualified as Greasespot to know what a pilot's job is like. I checked your profile and I don't see anything in the "Occupation" field that reads "Commercial Airline Pilot". If you're going to chastise someone for being unqualified to voice an opinion about a particular profession, perhaps you should heed your own advice.

Except I've had the privilege to sit in on, and even participate in Northwest simulator checkrides in the 757, 747-200, and 747-400. Just a bit more experience than you, or Greasespot have.

Maybe a fourth year 1st officer who was a punk and bought his training.

To hell does it matter if they went in the military or "bought" their training. Since you are a CFI, you obviously "bought" your training, as no military pilot will resign to become a CFI........talk about a massive paycut.....not to mention job desirability.

OK, you seem to be condescending to people that whom you know nothing about. I have also worked in aviation for over 15 years and agree with her assessment. Pilot's are certainly important, but "the core"??? Come on that's typical pilot ego. That's why a 25 year international pilot is making $175K+ and a 25 year international f/a is making $25-$30. Sure airline pilots deserve more, but not in the manner that they dwarf their colleagues.

You are as clueless as Greasespot. A senior AA F/A will make very close to $70/hour. They can do between 70-100 hours per month, depending on how handsome they want their paycheck to be.

I agree with her that airline pilots are paid too much. Especially when you look at what the Customer Service/Flight Attendants/Line Service are making. I agree that they should not make more than $125K tops.

I didn't bring this up, you did.....so now you can't hold my comments against me. Line service folks throw bags. We drive around, and that's it. We deserve $10/hour. Customer service agents print boarding passes, rebook, and listen to customer complaints. They deserve $15 per hour. Flight attendants have to go through annual reccurent training on the safety features of every aircraft in the fleet, and carry the responsibility of evacuating the aircraft in an emergency. They deserve $50 per hour. The pilots go through endless recurrent training, and are responsible for the lives of everyone on the plane, not to mention the plane itself. If anything goes wrong, they will almost always be blamed. They carry all of these responsibilities, so they deserve between $50-$200 per hour. To try to compare these jobs is complete idiocy. If you think paychecks should be more equitable, maybe you should write your ideas down, and mail them to 20 years ago back when communism existed.

-Max

fumanchewd

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:14 pm

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 42):
Oh gimme a break man. F/As should get paid alongside airline pilots for serving drinks? Yes they're there for the safety aspects, but their daily job involves serving drinks and peanuts. Not even meals anymore (in the U.S.).

Read it again. I said that they shouldn't be paid the same. Hey, please get some years in the business, learn to read, and then lets talk. Smile

greasespot

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:18 pm

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 46):
Except I've had the privilege to sit in on, and even participate in Northwest simulator checkrides in the 757, 747-200, and 747-400. Just a bit more experience than you, or Greasespot have.

Oh except i spent 1 year actually riding arround in a REAL airplane jumpseat on check rides and such......plus rotating all over the North.... Your right i have never been in a simulator......But then a simulator is not the real airplane.  wink 

Quoting MaxQ2351 (Reply 46):
To try to compare these jobs is complete idiocy. If you think paychecks should be more equitable, maybe you should write your ideas down, and mail them to 20 years ago back when communism existed.

Gee are you going to tell him to shut-up soon?

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 37):

I checked your profile and I don't see anything in the "Occupation" field that reads "Commercial Airline Pilot". If you're going to chastise someone for being unqualified to voice an opinion about a particular profession, perhaps you should heed your own advice.

yes 

GS

MaxQ2351

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 43):
Max, while I admire your spirit, I think you're also a little misinformed. The days of 250K a year captains working 9 days a mo. are, for the most part, long gone. I know several of these 25-30 year captains who do not have it this great and they are at the "legacies." If you are going for becoming an airline pilot, I hope, for your sake, you do not have these expectations.

I've grown up in an airline family, so I run in the circles of the cabin and cockpit crews at least. I just got a job on the ramp, so I'm getting into that one also.

Anyhow, while I'm sure people could just say I'm bluffing on this, I'll say it anyway!!! Most of my dad's friends, and my dad, work 12 days per month. A couple of 3-day trips, a single 12 day trip, etc etc. So, this is still around. With 737 or A-320 pilots, they are probably working 20-21 days per month. It's still a pretty cush job for international flying though, despite the paycuts. As far as AA goes, most of their trips are only 3 days, so the international captains have to bid to do 3 or 4 trips per month, and that's it.

-Max