prosa

Roger Goodell New NFL Commissioner

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:08 pm

Story:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...-nflcommissioner&prov=ap&type=lgns

I don't follow football all that closely, but it seems to be that Goodell is taking over at a very good time. The NFL is a superbly run business, especially in comparison to Major League Baseball, having handled such difficult issues as labor relations, revenue sharing, salary caps, drug testing and stadium construction with what certainly looks like a high degree of success. Not to mention that revenues from television, ticket sales and merchandising are all very strong.

As for the main issues Goodell's likely to face, I see two:
1) Better pensions for retired players, especially for those active prior to the big-money era.
2) Growing evidence that increasingly large linemen are facing more and more size-related health problems.

Any other thoughts?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

N1120A

RE: Roger Goodell New NFL Commissioner

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting PROSA (Thread starter):
1) Better pensions for retired players, especially for those active prior to the big-money era.
2) Growing evidence that increasingly large linemen are facing more and more size-related health problems.

Any other thoughts?

I think that expanding and combining those two very valid points into a third would be quite proper.

3) Better health care post-retirement for former players because of the link between playing football and early death after retirement. The combination of a high level of physical fitness and the abrupt end to that post-retirement has caused severe problems with player health.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss