alberchico

Statue Of Liberty Crown To Be Closed Forever....

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:39 am

today the new york park service announced that the statue of liberty crown will remain closed indefinitely. It has remained closed since 9/11 and todays decision puts further debate on this to rest.

Looks like the terrorists win........

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/a/a0/Statue_of_liberty_crown.jpg
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

alberchico

RE: Statue Of Liberty Crown To Be Closed Forever....

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:42 am

btw the pic above is what people visiting the crown would have seen years ago.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

dl021

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:45 am

This really pisses me off.

Although I don't agree that "indefinitely" means "forever" it really chaps me that they can't just run metal detectors and bomb dogs across the line to get to the crown.

Some bureaucrat should be fired for this simplistic and counterproductive decision. It was a cowardly decision.

I'm willing to take the risk. Open it up.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ILOVEA340

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:45 am

Sadly this one goes down as a win for terrorist tactics and sends a message a weakness as far as I am concerned. I managed to make it up to the top in the summer of 2000 and it was a great experience. I hope some day that they will reconsider this...

ltbewr

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:58 am

The problem is that the access to the crown is very limited to a narrow staircase system. If there was a need to evacuate the statute due to a possible terror attack, a fire or other emergency, it would be near impossible to do so in timely and safe fashion. It also cannot be made to comply with the American with Disabilities Act, although it could get an exemption. While sad in one way, I wouldn't see it as the "terrorists winning". Demand at peak times also limited the numbers of people that could go up and that meant long lines and a lot of frustrated people at peak times.
I remember going to the crown as a kid back in the 1960's and the view was quite special. A good alternative is to take the free Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park, and place your self at the part of the ship facing Manhattan. On a nice day it is quite a view.

ilikeyyc

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:02 am

This is painfully ironic. One of the great symbols of America's freedom and liberty is closed to its own people by the government in a police-state-dictatorship-like move.

It seems like the terrorists did win.

EDIT:

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
The problem is that the access to the crown is very limited to a narrow staircase system. If there was a need to evacuate the statute due to a possible terror attack, a fire or other emergency, it would be near impossible to do so in timely and safe fashion. It also cannot be made to comply with the American with Disabilities Act, although it could get an exemption

The St. Louis Arch is the same way, but the NPS has kept it open. Hardly an argument on this point.

[Edited 2006-08-10 01:11:05]
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

stlgph

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:03 am

Civil Liberties are *SO* September 10th.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

searpqx

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:04 am

As sad as it is, it was only a matter of time until it was closed anyway. Even before 9/11 the issue of access and evacuation had been raised. All it would have taken is someone panicing in that stairwell and you likely would have had someone trampled and hurt. I do wish that they could find a way to allow a limited number of people up there, maybe a lottery system or something. I really regret that I never got up there.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

aloges

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:54 am

Oh sheesh... couldn't they just put up signs telling everyone how extremely, terribly dangerous that stairwell is, and that no one should ever use it for safety reasons? And if still someone was interested in it, they'd go up at their own risk?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

greasespot

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:22 am

Wow the terrorists are again winning.....Instilling fear in the gov't with out even launching another attack but using the memory of the last one.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:25 am

Not arguing here, just commenting on the facts.

It also cannot be made to comply with the American with Disabilities Act

So because disabled people can't go up there, nobody should be able to? I hate PC stuff...

Demand at peak times also limited the numbers of people that could go up and that meant long lines and a lot of frustrated people at peak times.

Welcome to a popular attraction. Not patient enough to wait, go somewhere else or deal with it.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MigFan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:33 am

That's a real bummer!

I am not so sure about the terrorists winning, but they did play a role. Maybe it is just time to close the lady and admire her from a distance. She served her country...

F*ck Al Qaeda and the terrorists, I am not scared...

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

greasespot

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting Migfan (Reply 12):
F*ck Al Qaeda and the terrorists, I am not scared...

You may not be but...

the park service is...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

alberchico

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:52 am

technically it isn't a building so of course they'll never be able to guarantee one's safety. But that dosen't mean that it should be closed of forever.

L-188

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:14 am

Quoting Alberchico (Thread starter):
Looks like the terrorists win........

Got to agree completely with that one.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

scintx

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting ILOVEA340 (Reply 3):
Sadly this one goes down as a win for terrorist tactics and sends a message a weakness as far as I am concerned

My local lake in Dallas, Lake Lavon Dam has been closed since 9/11 for traffic driving across. I wonder who many people even know of this place? We tend to do a lot of dog and pony shows with the intent of sound good/ feel good and penalize the citizens and a job well done. We the People own the Statue of Liberty and that is what it stands for. This is Not the Statue of the Meek.
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

aa61hvy

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:55 pm

Quoting Scintx (Reply 16):
Dallas, Lake Lavon Dam

Holla for East Dallas/McKinney..The crown was small in there. I nailed my head against the top. My dad snapped a picture 1 sec after it happend, so I'm frowning  Smile
Go big or go home

j_hallgren

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:54 pm

I've never been over to the SOL, but was wondering about: Do they have any videos of what you would have seen going up to the crown? And maybe having a remote controled hi-quality camera positioned up there would allow visitors to "see" what they would have from up there...and allow them to "look" around as one does with some web-cams...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

SP90

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:53 am

I had the fortune to go up to the crown twice since moving to NYC. Once in 1990 and again in 1998.

Both times I walked all the way up from the very bottom. Big grin

Both times the torch was closed.  Sad

Cadet57

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:57 am

Dam. The one thing in NYC i'll never get the chance to see.  Sad  Sad  Sad
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

pawsleykat

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting Alberchico (Thread starter):
Statue Of Liberty Crown To Be Closed Forever....

I first went there in 1997 and had the privilige to visit the crown. I found it a bit cramped, but the views were good. I was back up in 2001 (pre 9/11) and I thought it was even better, but my mum, dad and Aunt have always wanted to climb it but have never had the chance. Will you still be allowed to visit Liberty Island though??

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

dl021

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:47 am

Demand at peak times also limited the numbers of people that could go up and that meant long lines and a lot of frustrated people at peak times.

That's a BS excuse for them to use. If someone is willing to wait then they should get their shot.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 7):
I do wish that they could find a way to allow a limited number of people up there, maybe a lottery system or something.

Or simply selling tickets with a daily cutoff similar to the Washington Monument. There's a good model for them to use.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):
Oh sheesh... couldn't they just put up signs telling everyone how extremely, terribly dangerous that stairwell is, and that no one should ever use it for safety reasons?

Not with our lawyers.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?