mdsh00

Wussification Of American Kids Continues

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:12 am

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/08/08...parenting.protecting.ap/index.html

So first they ban dodgeball, then they have to give every kid little trophies even if they lost. And now they don't keep score in games. Our schools are breeding a generation of pansies that will grow up thinking life is fair and everything is owed to them. If a majority of people find measures like these ridiculous, why do schools keep doing this?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

MigFan

RE: Wussification Of American Kids Continues

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Thread starter):
why do schools keep doing this?

To stave off lawsuits and keep parents happy.

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

Jetsgo

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:45 am

This is absolute bullshit. I hope my daughter is never exposed to this. Kids that succeed need to be recognized. Kids that fail need to be called on it so they can either improve or find something they can succeed in. Why preach something to kids that just isn't true about the real world?

Some people are good at some things. Others aren't. Face it, its life. Kids will rebound and get over it.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

aa61hvy

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:47 am

"Wussification Of American Kids Continues"

I think the scientific term is 'wussified'  Wink
Go big or go home

ShyFlyer

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:50 am

Our schools are breeding a generation of pansies that will grow up thinking life is fair and everything is owed to them.

Not to mention never learning to deal with disappointment. My fear is that this will lead to even further violence in schools.
I lift things up and put them down.

DrDeke

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:51 am

This was certainly going on at my high school (1997-2001). We would have one or two big "award ceremonies" every year at which so many meaningless awards would be passed out that every student would have at least two or three by the end.

And to think that my and my friends' parents never understood why we didn't want to go (these ceremonies were after school hours).

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

LOT767-300ER

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 3):
"Wussification Of American Kids Continues"

I think the scientific term is 'wussified'

I believe the correct term that myself and my Polish mates used in the USA was "Pussyfication."

Gym class was always a treat when we played soccer even in high school in America. Myself and a bunch of Polaks, Serbs, Croats, Greeks and Russians specifically played always on one side against the Americans. It is not that some of them were un-coordinated as hell...almost all of them showed this "pussyfication." The gym teacher was yelling at us for tackling kids (legal tackles for the ball) and to not use any other languages because no one could understand us and it was fair. Of course we continued swearing in about 4 different languages at the top of our lungs and to each other across the pitch  Silly

StarAC17

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:37 am

So first they ban dodgeball, then they have to give every kid little trophies even if they lost. And now they don't keep score in games. Our schools are breeding a generation of pansies that will grow up thinking life is fair and everything is owed to them. If a majority of people find measures like these ridiculous, why do schools keep doing this?

Man I'm 22 and still like would play dodgeball if given the chance and the only reason that I wouldn't keep score in a sport is when we are too lasy to.

Quoting MigFan (Reply 1):

checkmark 

If they can't learn to lose then it will be hell when they become teenagers.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

lowrider

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:41 am

These kids are being handicapped by the schools without even realizing it. Life comes with a variety of dissapointments and rejections. Learning to deal with it in a mature manner a valuable skills. I expect that this will lead to an increase in behavior such as suicide, road rage, and other behaviors that show a lack of self control and coping.
Proud OOTSK member

AsstChiefMark

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 am

Wussification breeds a "right to entitlement" society. Those kids are going to be in for a hell of a surprise when reality hits them square in the face.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Go3Team

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:48 am

Within the last few weeks, there was a post or 2 concerning someone here that thought their boss was being mean. In the business world, it is common practice. With no experiance on how to achieve, outperform others, etc., how do we fare as a country in the future?
Yay Pudding!

CXA330300

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:50 am

This is idiocy in its purest form.

A few months after I moved to the United States (when I was 12/13) I reached the national level of an academic competition (I went again the following year). At all levels, they gave everyone a certificate, but only the winner got the "trophy". And most of my fellow students seemed to understand why the winner got it. So it can't be that difficult to start younger? Young children understand competition perfectly well, and that there is a reward for only those who succeed.

This sums it up perfectly:

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):
Wussification breeds a "right to entitlement" society. Those kids are going to be in for a hell of a surprise when reality hits them square in the face.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 2):
Kids that fail

Now now, it's deferred success Big grin
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

halls120

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:22 am

why do schools keep doing this?

You can't blame the schools. My ex is a teacher, and when she tries to give grades that her students actually earn, there is always some ass*ole parent ready to complain that it couldn't be precious Johnny's fault. The fact that he hadn't turned any homework in for the entire semester wasn't his fault - right.....

Mark

Couldn't agree more.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

RAPCON

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:48 am

Nothing that a good draft or long-term military service will not easily fix. Let the top sgt get a hold of those boys, and just watch the change.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 6):
The gym teacher was yelling at us for tackling kids (legal tackles for the ball) and to not use any other languages because no one could understand us and it was fair. Of course we continued swearing in about 4 different languages at the top of our lungs and to each other across the pitch

...and then you had to play against us Hispanics, and we would proceed to kick your ass, take your lunch money, and screw your girlfriend.
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

MEABeirut

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:52 am

That is sick! I am still in high-school and have never experienced this! I have won multiple academic awards and have busted my ass for them. Any one who has had anything handed to them needs a reality check...bad!

-Tim
Oil isn't everything...

san747

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:57 am

Most definitely true... My parents made damn sure I didn't have an "entitlement" attitude by simply handing me things when I was "old" enough... I didn't get my driver's license until my 18th birthday- my parents waited until I showed I was mature enough to handle such a responsibility. Believe me, it wasn't easy (who in high school doesn't want to start driving ASAP), but I knew I had to prove to my parents, who are taking major financial and safety risks letting me drive, that I could be trusted.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 13):
You can't blame the schools. My ex is a teacher, and when she tries to give grades that her students actually earn, there is always some ass*ole parent ready to complain that it couldn't be precious Johnny's fault. The fact that he hadn't turned any homework in for the entire semester wasn't his fault - right.....

That is true. My stepdad is a teacher, and the most stressful part of his job is dealing with parents. The problem is compounded by the fact that the school is one that stresses classical academics and has families/parents with high expectations... Some people don't seem to understand that your child can't get an "A" if he didn't do anything in the class...

I failed my Pre-Calculus class 1st semester this year. Why? I didn't turn any homework in for over a month... I hauled ass after that, and was about 6 points away on my final from passing, but I knew that I most definitely earned and deserved the grade I got...
Scotty doesn't know...

LOT767-300ER

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:04 pm

Quoting RAPCON (Reply 14):
...and then you had to play against us Hispanics, and we would proceed to kick your ass, take your lunch money, and screw your girlfriend.

Buahahah! Even a Ukrainian hooker knows not go around like a Mexican Ice Cream Cart on a childrens playground.

Last I remember, the Italians proceeded to kick ass not American, Puerto Ricans or Venezuelans.

Dont forget, Puerto Rican's are Americans buddy. If you were from Argentina I would take your statement with a little bit of more thought.

scintx

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:04 pm

To stave off lawsuits and keep parents happy

Warning You May be Injured and not know it!! Call 1-800- Lawsuit. My question is did you have a helmet on when you wrote this. Do you know your rights?. I was once married to one of those bottom feeders. Guess who removed your diving boards? The list gets long and thanks to all of those fine folks saving us from ourselved and lining their pockests. This is one of our strongest industries and to bad we can't put it on a sea container and export it to China.
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:10 pm

Nothing that a good draft

Advocate of mandatory military service coming from someone who wouldn't serve under an administration he didnt like.  Yeah sure
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

DrDeke

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 12):
Now now, it's deferred success

Yep, "Deferred Success." Definitely one of the sickest educational slogans I've heard lately. It reminds me of the Monty Python sketch:

Failure? No, no, no. No more failure for me, teacher. I'm off... To engage in DEFERRED SUCCESS! Pardon me, while I fly my AEROPLANE!

Quoting MEABeirut (Reply 15):
That is sick! I am still in high-school and have never experienced this! I have won multiple academic awards and have busted my ass for them. Any one who has had anything handed to them needs a reality check...bad!

Yeah, I thought it was pretty sick too when I was in high school. (Still do.) If I may ask, what country are you going to high school in? It really was sick in our public school system. It's not considered a "bad" system by any means, but the idea that some people might be smarter than others, or even more skilled at a certain subject than others, was VERY seriously frowned upon in our school system, and such ideas were generally not allowed to be expressed.

When I was a little kid and would beg my parents or grandparents to take me to the "Fun Factory" (the local video game arcade) and spend $1.00 worth of quarters playing Super Mario Brothers, I always noticed a rather lame video game in the arcade that nobody ever played. Everyone noticed it, though, because every few minutes it would pipe up and play back recorded statements such as, "EVERYONE'S A WINNER!!!!," in an excited, clown-like voice.

While it is true that, in my opinion, every human being has worth; it is really not true that "everyone's a winner" in the sense that everyone "wins" on average as much as everyone else, is as smart as everyone else, has as good luck as everyone else, or really most anything else. In an ideal world, everyone would be a "winner". But that's simply not the case in the real world in which we live. I think it's great to be inclusive in childrens' activities, and to an extent to force inclusion of others at a young age as a part of teaching courtesy and respect for other humans to one's children. But when it becomes a systematic scheme of trying to say that "everyone is exactly like everyone else in every way," it crosses from the realm of truth into that of lies, and the realm of the helpful to that of the harmful for children and their upbringing.

-DrDeke

[Edit: Typo: Courtsey -> Courtesy]

[Edited 2006-08-10 05:22:56]
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

Falcon84

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:14 pm

And now they don't keep score in games

Why keep score in first, second grade games? Or in t-ball? Or in flag football for really young kids? So that asshole parents can scream and yell and intimidate officials-or worse?

How often do we have to see fights at sporting events, be they school or otherwise, for young kids, where some parent who is trying to live his/her failed dream of glory through his/her child, goes off on another parent, or a coach, or an official.

Until they get into Junior High, I don't see the need to make ultra-competitive kids. All it has done in this country is breed spoiled, entitled parents, nothing else.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 2):
This is absolute bullshit. I hope my daughter is never exposed to this.

Yeah, I'm sure she'll be scarred for life...right.

You can't blame the schools.

I don't, nor do I blame Little Leagues, or Pop Warner, or any other organized sport for young kids. Don't blame the kids, people-blame their parents, who have dreams of $$$$$ in their head, and push and push and push, and critisize their kids when they make a mistake, or berate a coach for not playing their child, or threaten an official when they call a foul on their kid.

This isn't "wussification" of the kids. It's the result of idiot adults who can't see the game for what it is-just a game.

Let kids be kids. Not keeping a score in a 2nd grade flag football game isn't going to damage them when they get in the corporate world.

What utter nonsense.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LTU932

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:21 pm

Gym class was always a treat when we played soccer even in high school in America. Myself and a bunch of Polaks, Serbs, Croats, Greeks and Russians specifically played always on one side against the Americans. It is not that some of them were un-coordinated as hell...almost all of them showed this "pussyfication." The gym teacher was yelling at us for tackling kids (legal tackles for the ball) and to not use any other languages because no one could understand us and it was fair. Of course we continued swearing in about 4 different languages at the top of our lungs and to each other across the pitch

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Sounds like fun. Big grin

Nothing that a good draft or long-term military service will not easily fix.

Actually the problem is the parents. Before they have children, they should be sent to the Marine Corps to Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann for a couple of years of basic training.  Wink Unless our resident Sergeant Major wants to re-enlist and get his hands dirty with them.  duck 

Jetsgo

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 21):
Yeah, I'm sure she'll be scarred for life...right.

I dont care if she too thinks its rediculous, or if she is scarred for life. It is pure utter bs to take every kid and call them even. Isn't that somewhat similar to communism? The idea that everyone and everything is equal? Some kids do things better than others, and by winning/losing, kids are made aware of that. Fat kids most likely will not be track stars, while skinny, non muscular kids will not make very good wrestlers. It's life.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

san747

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:40 pm

Nothing that a good draft or long-term military service will not easily fix. Let the top sgt get a hold of those boys, and just watch the change.

While I don't think kids should be spoiled and pandered to, I don't think one has to go to that extreme... I don't even want to think what would happen if a draft was imposed at this point in time...
Scotty doesn't know...

aaden

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:46 pm

nothing like a good old game of dodge ball along with a black eye to teach a kid about life

piercey

Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 10):
Within the last few weeks, there was a post or 2 concerning someone here that thought their boss was being mean. In the business world, it is common practice.

Hi, remember me?  Wink

Hey whatever, I found a higher paying job with a boss that @ least treats me with respect (I don't care if your an arse, just show some respect when I do the job and stop cutting my pay!). I did not leave because the boss was "mean". Go look up the thread in question, read it, and then respond.

there is always some ass*ole parent ready to complain that it couldn't be precious Johnny's fault. The fact that he hadn't turned any homework in for the entire semester wasn't his fault - right.....

ugh, I hate kids with overprotective parents. The kids themselves turn into pansies and do nothing because mommy will do everything for them.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

MigFan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 17):
Puerto Rican's are Americans buddy

I wouldn't go that far. Have you asked a Puerto Rican lately?

Gym class sucked! I used to cut the hell out of that one.

The ghost of columbine my be showing itself in the application of "wussification". No one wants a repeat of that, so the goal is to keep everyone happy. It is a goal, after all. Over-protective and driven type-A parents are nauseating. My wife's family is the same way. If the kid does bad it has to be the teacher's fault...

If I did not hand in any homework for a who semester and failed, I would have got my ass kicked by Dad!

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:04 pm

WASHINGTON, DC - Congress is considering sweeping legislation, which provides new benefits for many Americans. The Americans With No Abilities Act (AWNAA) is being hailed as a major legislation by advocates of the millions of Americans who lack any real skills or ambition.

"Roughly 50 percent of Americans do not possess the competence and drive necessary to carve out a meaningful role for themselves in society," said Barbara Boxer. "We can no longer stand by and allow People With No Abilities to be ridiculed and passed over. With this legislation, employers will no longer be able to grant special favors to a small group of workers, simply because they do a better job, or have some idea of what they are doing."

The President pointed to the success of the US Postal Service, which has a long-standing policy of providing opportunity without regard to performance. Approximately 74 percent of postal employees lack job skills, making this agency the single largest US employer of Persons With No Abilities.

Private sector industries with good records of nondiscrimination against the inept include retail sales (72%), the airline industry (68%), and home improvement "warehouse" stores (65%). The DMV also has a great record of hiring Persons With No Abilities. (63%)

Under the Americans With No Abilities Act, more than 25 million "middle man" positions will be created, with important-sounding titles but little real responsibility, thus providing an illusory sense of purpose and performance.

Mandatory non-performance-based raises and promotions will be given, to guarantee upward mobility for even the most unremarkable employees. The legislation provides substantial tax breaks to corporations which maintain a significant level of Persons With No Abilities in middle positions, and gives a tax credit to small and medium businesses that agree to hire one clueless worker for every two talented hires.

Finally, the AWNA ACT contains tough new measures to make it more difficult to discriminate against the Nonabled, banning discriminatory interview questions such as "Do you have any goals for the future?" or "Do you have any skills or experience which relate to this job?"

"As a Nonabled person, I can't be expected to keep up with people who have something going for them," said Mary Lou Gertz, who lost her position as a lug-nut twister at the GM plant in Flint, MI due to her lack of notable job skills. "This new law should really help people like me." With the passage of this bill, Gertz and millions of other untalented citizens can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Said Senator Ted Kennedy, "It is our duty as lawmakers to provide each and every American citizen, regardless of his or her inadequacy, with some sort of space to take up in this great nation."
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

deltagator

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 28):
The Americans With No Abilities Act

Beautiful! Cletus Federline could benefit from this one.

My motto...second place is first loser.

From that horrible movie "The Rock"...Losers always whine about their "best"! Winners go home and f*** the prom queen.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Clogman

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:05 pm

The gym teacher was yelling at us for tackling kids (legal tackles for the ball) and to not use any other languages because no one could understand us and it was fair. Of course we continued swearing in about 4 different languages at the top of our lungs and to each other across the pitch

Hahahaha!!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

MDorBust

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Prepare for some spectacular meltdowns when these children who have never before had to pay the price of failure suddenly encounter it where the stakes are for real and failure has serious consequences.

Now would be a good time for all of you aspiring college students to change over to a counseling degree plan.

Let kids be kids. Not keeping a score in a 2nd grade flag football game isn't going to damage them when they get in the corporate world.

What's the point of joining a competitive league if you don't want the baggage of being competitive. Just leave the kids in the sand lot if you dont' want them in an organized competative environment. Then again, I bet the kids on the sand lot are keeping score...

I do completely agree with you that the over the top wacko parents help to ruin the game for their kids. But, even as a snotty nosed little tike, I appreciated the competition of winning or losing and frankly wouldn't have been nearly interested if I knew I was going to be held to the same standard as the kid who just stood on the field and picked his nose.

In other news: Tag is too dangerous for kids to play

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-06-26-recess-bans_x.htm

Now, I'm confused. I know there is a nationwide push to get kids out from behind the PS2 and into more active sports to help combat growing rates of childhood obesity... but... is there anything physically active kids are allowed to do?

What happened to the days when children were expected to break a couple of bones, skin their knees and shins, and generally earn those tetnis booster shots they are given?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

MigFan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:24 pm

WASHINGTON, DC - Congress is considering sweeping legislation, which provides new benefits for many Americans. The Americans With No Abilities Act (AWNAA) is being hailed as a major legislation by advocates of the millions of Americans who lack any real skills or ambition.

Nice, now Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie, Ryan Seacrest, and Kevin Fedeline have a purpose!!!

Said Senator Ted Kennedy, "It is our duty as lawmakers to provide each and every American citizen, regardless of his or her inadequacy, with some sort of space to take up in this great nation."

C'mon Ted, you are just making the excuses for yourself into law...

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 31):
In other news: Tag is too dangerous for kids to play

That is just to shut some lawyer up along with the deep-pocketed clients.
UH-60's suck!!!

MDorBust

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting MigFan (Reply 32):
C'mon Ted, you are just making the excuses for yourself into law...

It's an article from The Onion.

Quoting MigFan (Reply 32):
That is just to shut some lawyer up along with the deep-pocketed clients.

No doubt it is just CYA because of the litigious society we have let develop.

At what point do we stop the madness though? Do we wait until children wear mandated padded suits and can't engage in any physical activity?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Falcon84

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:31 pm

Prepare for some spectacular meltdowns when these children who have never before had to pay the price of failure suddenly encounter it where the stakes are for real and failure has serious consequences.

That's a lot of testosterone-induced crap. That's all that is. Why do you NEED competitive leagues for 7 year olds? They're kids at that age, not future pro stars. Let them be kids, and have fun learning the game. The time to be competitive can come later. Let them grow up a little first.

I think of what you say, and I think of Emilio Estevez' character, Andy, in the Breakfast Club, who had a father who pushed him to "win! win! win!". And that's what you get when you make a fun game competitive for young kids.

Tell me this: how much good will it do for a 3rd grader, who is no good at a sport, and feels the wrath from his parents, or teammates? Why not just let the kids HAVE FUN. Gee, what a concept!

I won't buy this "it'll hurt them when they enter the real world" bullshit. That's all that is, and it's so endemnic of what is wrong with our society on this level.

What's the point of joining a competitive league if you don't want the baggage of being competitive.

What's the point of MAKING it competitive? I think you could do more damage to some kids in that enviornment, instead of teaching them about the game, and having fun with it.

One of the problems about making it so competitive so early is that, even some kids who are good at it, and like it, quit, because they can't stand being pushed by parents and coaches to be the next LeBron, or the next LaDanien Tomlinson, or the next A-Rod.

Again, let them be kids, and have fun.
Work Right, Fly Hard

halls120

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:35 pm

I agree that most of the problem can be traced to parents. But kids want to keep score. Even in the second grade. I was in the second grade in 1959. Long before we cared about coddling children. And when we went out to recess, whether it was tetherball, tag, or kickball, we wanted to win.

To suggest kids won't keep score if left to their own devices is silly.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 22):
Actually the problem is the parents. Before they have children, they should be sent to the Marine Corps to Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann for a couple of years of basic training.

thumbsup 

Quoting AAden (Reply 25):
nothing like a good old game of dodge ball along with a black eye to teach a kid about life

Concur. We are raising a generation of wimps. Both my kids are in their 20's and out in the real world. If you asked both of them what their dad's signature phrase was as they grew up, they would both respond "Life isn't fair. Deal with it."

Every time my kids came to me with some ridiculous whine about some perceived indignity they had suffered, that was my usual response. To this day, part of the reason both my kids are productive (so far) adults is their mother and I refused to coddle them as they were growing up.

rotfl 
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

MigFan

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:38 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 33):
At what point do we stop the madness though? Do we wait until children wear mandated padded suits and can't engage in any physical activity?

I think legal precedent has to happen to the contrary. An astute judge who is not out to make a political name for themself has to say "enough is enough" a few times and throw some of these ridiculous cases out of court. After that happens, more room will be available for similar-minded judges to follow.

America's competitive-natured society has to change as well. Everything in American culture is based on merit and standings. From TV shows to family values. Is our lives a product of how we stand as opposed to others? I could care less how I stand against others. We have to make a stand in life, but we don't have to be the tallest in the room. There cannot be winners without some losers too...

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

MD-90

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:54 pm

Indoctrination at teachers' colleges explains it all...

MDorBust

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 34):
That's a lot of testosterone-induced crap. That's all that is. Why do you NEED competitive leagues for 7 year olds?

Well, I was playing (and enjoying) competitive sports at the age of seven, and unless I was some sort of genetic freak I doubt it was very testosterone induced.

And that's what you get when you make a fun game competitive for young kids.

That's what you get when the parents push it too far. I already agreed with you about that.

Tell me this: how much good will it do for a 3rd grader, who is no good at a sport, and feels the wrath from his parents, or teammates?

Nobody is good at everything. Find the things you are good at and compete there, not in the things you aren't good at. If your parents can't recognize that you aren't good at something and want to do something else, then they fit into the category of parents we've both already agreed upon. Parents need to recognize the talents their children have, not the ones they wish their children had.

What's the point of MAKING it competitive?

, I appreciated the competition of winning or losing and frankly wouldn't have been nearly interested if I knew I was going to be held to the same standard as the kid who just stood on the field and picked his nose.

RAPCON

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 19):
Advocate of mandatory military service coming from someone who wouldn't serve under an administration he didnt like.

I did not serve, and will never serve, any administration that will not properly support me, train me, and provide the necessary equipment for the missions that the military says it needs. But I did do my 3 years reserve under the administration of that duchebag.

I put in 8.5 years active and 3 reserve. How many did you put?

Last I remember, the Italians proceeded to kick ass not American, Puerto Ricans or Venezuelans.

And pray tell how did Poland, and the rest of the slavs do this summer? Emberrasment, eh?

Quoting Migfan (Reply 27):
Puerto Rican's are Americans buddy

I wouldn't go that far. Have you asked a Puerto Rican lately?

We are Americans! It's just that we, those from the island not the NYC scum, speak a different language and have a different culture. Kinda like the Frenchies in Quebec--they're still Canadian.
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

Aaron747

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:53 pm

Who needs to beat the system when the system beats you before you get anywhere in life? So sad. Reason #323 I'm glad to be enjoying ex-pat income tax exemption.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:37 pm

Isn't that nice. Too bad the real world still has winners and losers. I've always said that it won't be terrorism that destroys the US, it won't be economic failure, and it won't be bad leadership. It will be the complete lack of responsibility that will destroy this country. That and all of our children will be a bunch of f#cking pussies that will all have meltdowns the day they finally realize that they aren't always a winner.
E pur si muove -Galileo

mdsh00

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 35):

This part is really true. Someone is going to keep score even if the teacher won't.

That's all that is. Why do you NEED competitive leagues for 7 year olds? They're kids at that age, not future pro stars. Let them be kids, and have fun learning the game. The time to be competitive can come later. Let them grow up a little first.

Maybe, maybe not. My gut feeling is that these kids aren't going to have any idea how to deal with rejection in the future. Another thing I read in that article is that kids aren't allowed to hand out birthday party invites in class unless the whole class is invited. What kind of crap is that? For so many parents, school is the only place of contact between their kids' friends. Why does a kid need to invite everyone and why would everyone even want to go? This whole "everybody is a winner" isn't the greatest idea in my opinion.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

MigFan

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting RAPCON (Reply 39):
Kinda like the Frenchies in Quebec--they're still Canadian.

Didn't Quebec try to ceceed from Canada?

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

AGM100

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:22 am

Great thread. I am in a situation with my son and daughter right now that is driving me nuts. The issue is the BS Karate class their mother signed them up for. It is so F'ING lame , its all about respect for others and things that seem good , but its just wooosie.

Basically its just ballet with some weak ass punching every once in a while. Dont get me wrong, respect is important obviously , but to me it is the parents job to teach this. I WANT MY KID TO LEARN HOW TO KNOCK THE CRAP OUT OF SOMEONE! (if he has too) .

My son is so not interested in it , and one reason is that you have these little geeks getting the same belts he is "just for showing up and .."trying" " No one is left behind ,, we are all equal and deserve credit for whatever our limited talent is.

And I blame their Mother, I wanted to put my son in a real boxing program at the gym down the street. This is the real deal, tough , sweaty , stinky and not for woosies. Although anyone can join, if you do not put out you will be marginalized and left behind. I Box their and just love it, its so anti yuppie its great. But his mother said its too violent and that he does not need to become more aggressive. BSBSBS. Thank God , I am a good father and regularly wrestle and push and shove with my son, (he loves it). Sometimes he gets hurt (not bad) but thats what happens in the real world.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Falcon84

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:27 am

But kids want to keep score.

That we're in agreement on. Maybe the answer is to 1. either tell parents they cannot get demonstrative at all at games, or 2. just not let parents attend. I know everyone wants to be proud of their child, but there's just too many parents who ruin what should be a positive experience for everyone involved.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 38):
Well, I was playing (and enjoying) competitive sports at the age of seven, and unless I was some sort of genetic freak I doubt it was very testosterone induced

I'm not talking about then-but now. We have this obsession that EVERYTHING should be a competitive, near life-or-death struggle. This stuff in saying that a child won't be able to handle adulthood because we made a 4th grade game of baseball FUN instead of something that has to be overly competitive is bull.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 38):
And that's what you get when you make a fun game competitive for young kids.

That's what you get when the parents push it too far. I already agreed with you about that.

Yes, on that point we agree. And that is the problem. If kids were left to their own, they'd be fine.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 41):
Isn't that nice. Too bad the real world still has winners and losers. I've always said that it won't be terrorism that destroys the US, it won't be economic failure, and it won't be bad leadership. It will be the complete lack of responsibility that will destroy this country. That and all of our children will be a bunch of f#cking pussies that will all have meltdowns the day they finally realize that they aren't always a winner.

Utter bull, my friend.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 44):
It is so F'ING lame , its all about respect for others and things that seem good , but its just wooosie.

What a TERRIBLE concept! I mean, RESPECTING others, it's just so 1990's I guess.

So respect is wussie, and then it's followed up by this gem:

Dont get me wrong, respect is important obviously

I WANT MY KID TO LEARN HOW TO KNOCK THE CRAP OUT OF SOMEONE! (if he has too) .

Yes, we want to learn VIOLENCE! Kicking in someone's teeth, as we all know, is so much more important that showing others dignity and respect!

Talk about a testosterone-induced response, that's the one. And I feel sorry for any child who has a parent that this "win! win! win! You're effort is for shit!" attitude.

And you wonder why we're so messed up as a society.

And I blame their Mother

Is your theme song "Mother" by Pink Floyd?

I blame you, not her. You seem to be the one with the problem.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LOT767-300ER

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:30 am

And pray tell how did Poland, and the rest of the slavs do this summer? Emberrasment, eh?

We lost to 1 latin american team and beat 1. Ukraine got into the quarters so overall not that bad.

We are Americans! It's just that we, those from the island not the NYC scum, speak a different language and have a different culture. Kinda like the Frenchies in Quebec--they're still Canadian.

Congratulations but you still only hold a US passport.

CastleIsland

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:43 am

Back when I was in elementary school, we played a game called "Kill the Guy with the Ball." Rules were simple - if you had the ball, everyone else tried to tackle you, make you fumble, and then some other bastard would have to pick it up, and so on. No need to keep score.

It was all well and good until one day we all tackled some kid on the pavement, and he got pretty cut up. Then they banned it, and we were hacked off about that for more than a few weeks. That's when all of this started, my friends... duck 
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

AGM100

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 45):
I blame you, not her. You seem to be the one with the problem.

My kids happen to be very respectful and well behaved. As was I all my life. But the thread is about the non challenge of our kids now adays. I do not promote wiw win win , but its a Karate class for Pete's sake. More time is spent learning how to be nice and never hurt anyone. That is why we take our kids to Sunday school ,charity events, boy scouts ,girl scouts etc.

Respect and non violence to others in my case is a given, my kids know that they should not hurt anyone ! They go to Karate to learn some aggressive moves and self defence. More time is spent with civility and equality. Its just a pet peeve of mine about the Karate class that's all.

Besides If I said this to my wife she would do the two headed cobra strike move on me ,, then I would be in a world of hurt. Big grin
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Nancy

How about if we teach our kids some manners? You shouldn't invite people to an event in front of someone who isn't invited. It shouldn't be legislated, but basic manners should be a classroom rule. You shouldn't give gifts, or cards, to some people and not others while they're all together. It's not polite. Learning to think about others' feelings and be considerate will serve children well throughout their lives. Kids should be given some responsibility in this area and this should be taught at school and at home and it should be an expectation. Making manners a legislative matter doesn't teach the kids social skills. It controls them without giving them any understanding of what they should do.