carmenlu15

Your Latest "D'oh!"

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:08 pm

The other day I had to meet with a friend for a college project. I had been at her house once before, so I knew the way there: two blocks from the bus stop, then three blocks to the right, and bingo! I arrived at the street where she lives. However, while I knew it was a corner house, I forgot on which side of the street! So, I looked for the paper where I had written her address... just to find I had lost it.  banghead 

Instead of making a fool of myself by knocking at the wrong door, I tried to remember some more details about the house. "Let me see... I think it was a pink house..."

Oh surprise, both houses were pink.

"Ok then... the door! It had a wooden door!"

Uh-huh... both houses had wooden doors.

"Damn! But there was something about the house... That's it! The house number! It had something to do with airplanes!"

After congratulating myself for being so smart, I went checked the house numbers... Guess what?

One house was numbered 7-37, and the other was numbered 7-47. D'oh!

I had to admit defeat, and phone my friend to check her address (it turned out to be 7-47).

So, that's my Homer Simpson moment of the week. Any good stories you want to share?
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

DLKAPA

RE: Your Latest "D'oh!"

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 pm

Opening this thread.

D'OH!
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:16 pm

There was this time I posted some pic from the internet on a.net.

Signed,
IAH777
International Homo of Mystery

gunsontheroof

Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:32 pm

Just a minute ago I hit my head on the refrigerator when I leaned in to get a drink...

"Mmmmm....driiiink...."

Frontiercpt

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:35 pm

Last night, one side of our kitchen sinks plugged when my mom left bok choy all over it. It was sooooo growse, the ENTIRE sink was covered in shredded bok choy mixed with water. We woke up, and all the water was gone, and so she told me to turn on some water and turn the garbage disposal on, so I did, and washed a bit of the bok choy down the sink. I was standing over the sink, watching it all go down, when suddenly the disposal made a weird sound, and from the hole in the other sink, all the bok choy that went DOWN the sink, came blasting UP. I was covered in green slime, as were all the clean dishes, and most of the kitchen. This beat when I turned an egg beater on high, and then poured loose flour in. Being coverd in white powder is better than green slime.

I mean, the whole situation was slightly hilarious, and definitely seemed like a scene from a cartoon, but uck, I was thinking "Damn, why me."

~Sean Big grin

aloges

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:02 pm

Confusing 2.35 m with 2.25 should qualify - lesson: always check twice what you measured.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

jamesbuk

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:21 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
2.35 m with 2.25

I can tell you now your's aint that big!

Seeing our gazebo fly across the garden and hit the fence and kinda bend and smash up because of the very high winds. I was asked to put a few new spikes into its feet a few day's before but i didnt because i was fairly sure it was going to be nice for the rest of the week, Oops lol

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

bill142

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
Confusing 2.35 m with 2.25 should qualify - lesson: always check twice what you measured.

theres an old attage, measure twice cut once.

aloges

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 6):
I can tell you now your's aint that big!

Well, the wood certainly is.  duck 

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 7):
theres an old attage, measure twice cut once.

yes  Good thing it didn't cause much of a loss.  relieved 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ajd1992

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:18 pm

Probably jumping into a pool in Majorca, complete with £220 iPod in pocket. D'oh... Anybody want a busted iPod, waterdamaged? Big grin

airbusA346

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:41 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Thread starter):

rotfl 

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

ThePRGuy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:11 am

I poured a pint of magners onto my brand new 17" MacBook Pro, that was a sickening sound. Just flickered, smoked and died.
Thank god for personal item insurance  Smile
Last year I managed to drop a acer tablet off a building, 5 stories up, don't ask me how...
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

SlamClick

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:26 am

However, while I knew it was a corner house, I forgot on which side of the street!

One house was numbered 7-37, and the other was numbered 7-47. D'oh!

Where did this happen? Every country I've been to, 737 and 747 both being odd numbers would be on the same side of the street - not opposite sides.

Maybe same side, opposite ends of the block, cornering different cross streets?
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 9):
Probably jumping into a pool in Majorca, complete with £220 iPod in pocket. D'oh... Anybody want a busted iPod, waterdamaged?

I don't know if it'll work, but I've read threads here where somebody did the same, and Apple actually replaced the iPod. Try it.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ThePRGuy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 13):
I don't know if it'll work, but I've read threads here where somebody did the same, and Apple actually replaced the iPod. Try it.

*embarrassed* - happened to me
Got my video pod replaced for that exact same thing.
More often than note Apple will replace instead of inspecting

BMIFlyer

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:43 am

Thats hilarious, and no doubt also embarrassing  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

airbusA346

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 11):
I poured a pint of magners onto my brand new 17" MacBook Pro, that was a sickening sound. Just flickered, smoked and died.

ouch 

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

Cadet57

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:29 am

ast year I managed to drop a acer tablet off a building, 5 stories up, don't ask me how...

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 14):
Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 13):I don't know if it'll work, but I've read threads here where somebody did the same, and Apple actually replaced the iPod. Try it.
*embarrassed* - happened to me
Got my video pod replaced for that exact same thing.

You really dont have good luck with electronics, huh?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ajd1992

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:02 am

Believe me, they will not replace it after what i did to it Big grin Do the maths for this (Angry owner)+knive X Screwdriver=My iPod....

jetmatt777
Crew

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 18):
Believe me, they will not replace it after what i did to it Do the maths for this (Angry owner)+knive X Screwdriver=My iPod....

Tell them the girlfriend was mad and ran over your iPod with her car. They'll understand.  duck 

biggrin   Wink
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

ThePRGuy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 17):
You really dont have good luck with electronics, huh?

No Sad
You should have seen my last cellphone. Now that was not a pretty sight....
Out of all the electronics, the acer behaved best in the accident. It still booted  Smile but the screen was smashed, as it was in tablet mode.
I dropped it off one of those buildings with a swimming pool in the roof. A few cocktails might not have helped either....
Alex

srbmod

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:14 am

I had a doozy of one today. Our sales manager was riding along on the route with me today (If I take some time off, he'll be the one to run my route) and we were trying to get some clips for some retail signs and I put the route book for my Thursday routes on the roof of the van. We leave the account and not too far down the street a guy tells me that something dropped off the roof a few miles back. I had forgotten to retrieve the notebook from on top of the roof. We backtrack and find the route book. Most of the pages were scattered about on the side of the road and the notebook was flattened. They're going to have to replace the notebook and all of the route cards in the book because the only way to get the ones that are still in the notebook would be to tear them out. The worst part of the whole thing was that I lost one of my good pens.

LOT767-300ER

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 20):
No
You should have seen my last cellphone. Now that was not a pretty sight....
Out of all the electronics, the acer behaved best in the accident. It still booted but the screen was smashed, as it was in tablet mode.
I dropped it off one of those buildings with a swimming pool in the roof. A few cocktails might not have helped either....
Alex

carmenlu15

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 12):

Exactly, guess I should have clarified that.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

ThePRGuy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 22):

Sadly for me, no.

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:04 am

I applied for a job I had no business applying for-mistaking it for a position I am qualified for.  banghead 
Go big or go home

bongo

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:10 am

it turned out to be 7-47

Well...much better than 7-37 ! Big grin
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

S12PPL

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:52 am

Well, mine may not be a biggie to any of you, but in terms of what I do for fun, it was a big one.

As I said earlier this year, I was selected to umpire at the Little League Sr. Western Regional Tournament. That was the last week and a half in Salem, OR. It wrapped Tuesday night. Well, Saturday afternoon I was working the plate, and we ran four man crews for all games except the championship, where we ran six. With a four man crew, we have what we call rotations. For instance: With no runners on base, and a fly ball hit to left field, or left center field, the third base umpire will leave the infield for catch/no catch responsibilities. When this happens, the plate umpire will go up to third for a potential play if it turns into a tripple, the 2nd base umpire will rotate in to take the batter runner into 2nd base, and the 1st base umpire will rotate to the plate for any potential play there.

Anyway, so I was to rotate up to third base for a play there, and when it was aparent there would be none, I decided I would go back to the plate in case they decided to throw the ball around, and the runner at second advanced home. Next thing I know I hear my first base umpire goin "Uhhhh, Matt.....I got it buddy....."

Again, not a big "DOH!" to you, but what if the kid on 2nd decided to go to 3rd? Yeah, my 2nd base umpire would have covered my ass, but still...coulda been uuuuugly.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

saxdiva

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:21 am

My Principles of Management class was scheduled to take an exam a few weeks ago. This is a survey course for new business students, and I have to give a couple of multiple-choice exams on material in the textbook to make sure they actually read it. So I'm handing out the test booklets (they bring their own Scantron forms), and I only get about two-thirds of the way through the class when I run out--I guess the photocopier must have run out of paper, and like an idiot I didn't count them before walking into class. Argh.

Fortunately, the class didn't complain much when I told them I'd postpone the test to the next meeting and turned them loose for the day...  blush 

-Leanne

VC10BOAC

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:15 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 23):
Quoting SlamClick (Reply 12):

Exactly, guess I should have clarified that.

How about same side, both at the corner and on opposite sides of the same cross street? That makes the story more believable! You need to learn how to tell a good story.

[Edited 2006-08-11 17:17:31]

ajd1992

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 19):
Tell them the girlfriend was mad and ran over your iPod with her car. They'll understand. duck

Hey Matt,

It would be nice to have a girlfriend, but it would be a bit weird if she could drive! I'm 14, and i'm probably gunna suck it up and buy a new one. I've been hiding this from dad now for almost two weeks. In regards to what i did to it, i ripped out the insides, leaving only the click wheel Big grin

jetmatt777
Crew

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 30):
It would be nice to have a girlfriend, but it would be a bit weird if she could drive! I'm 14, and i'm probably gunna suck it up and buy a new one. I've been hiding this from dad now for almost two weeks. In regards to what i did to it, i ripped out the insides, leaving only the click wheel

Ohhh. What about your 18 year old girlfriend?  Wink
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

ajd1992

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:05 am

I wish  Wink Until then i have to console myself with... nothing. I could sell it on eBay  Big grin

jetmatt777
Crew

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:49 pm

Well, this morning when I woke up, I was dizzy and I ran into a wall, then trying to walk down the stairs fell down them half way. The when I made it to the computer, I was so dizzy I couldn;t type Airliners.net into the URL bar. It spelled something like this:

SJlintrs.mdt, don't ask me why I was so dizzy, but it wasn't very fun.

-Matt  biggrin 

carmenlu15

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:21 pm

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 29):
How about same side, both at the corner and on opposite sides of the same cross street? That makes the story more believable! You need to learn how to tell a good story.

Thanks for the tip, but I think learning how to translate my thoughts at 1 in the morning would be more helpful at the moment. Big grin

m180up

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 34):
Thanks for the tip, but I think learning how to translate my thoughts at 1 in the morning would be more helpful at the moment

Tell me about it, that used to happen a lot to me before, but then my english teacher told me to start thinking everything in english instead of translating, and everything has been a lot easier. Big grin
Werner from SAL

pawsleykat

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:04 pm

My latest "D'Oh!";

was last night after I came out of the shower. I was combing my hair and my dad asked me for the days Scotsman newspaper. I went and got it out of my bag and then realised that I had forgotten where i had put the comb. I searched everywhere and when I gave up, I went to get the other comb out of my drawer. Then, as I went to the mirror, I started combing my hair and guess what, I had put the other comb in my hair for safe - keeping. What a b00b, eh!  banghead 

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

VC10BOAC

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:38 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 34):
Thanks for the tip, but I think learning how to translate my thoughts at 1 in the morning would be more helpful at the moment.

Oh, I was just messing with you. You write English very well for someone whose first language is not English, even better than many native English speakers I know.

My second language is American.

LTU932

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:49 pm

I noticed I was using two AFCADs for the same airport and they were conflicting when I flew in FS to LPB. D'OH!

How the hell could this happen to me? I usually put lots of attention to detail.

Oh well, I'll probably have to do yet another flight to LPB anyway.

carmenlu15

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting M180up (Reply 35):

Tell me about it, that used to happen a lot to me before, but then my english teacher told me to start thinking everything in english instead of translating, and everything has been a lot easier.

Key word here, thinking. I do the same, and think in English when I want to talk in English; however, after getting only 3.5 hours of sleep every night for 5 days, thinking in either language becomes a harder task.  Silly

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 37):
Oh, I was just messing with you. You write English very well for someone whose first language is not English, even better than many native English speakers I know.

No problem, I never take myself too seriously. And thanks for the compliment.  Smile

Another story... Two days ago, my best friend and I went out to have a coffee and talk. He was telling me that he felt quite lonely, since his brother was on a trip and he had nobody to be bothering him. I told him, "get a girlfriend, then she will surely be bothering you every day!". He just smiled and said nothing... Later during the conversation, he finally came out and confessed he is actually gay. Oops...

L-188

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:17 pm

I put a quarter in a parking meter yesterday, before I realized it was after 6 and parking wasn't enforced....I miss that quarter.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

falstaff

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:37 pm

I was working on my boat yesterday and after working for a while I lost my screwdriver. I went in the garage to get another and when I came out I saw I left it sitting on top of the boat's motor. D'oh!

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 9):
Probably jumping into a pool in Majorca, complete with £220 iPod in pocket.

A few years ago I jumped into a lake and I still had my phone in my pocket. I did remember to take out my wallet and keys. The phone was wet and didn't work. I set it out in the sun later that day and after it dried it worked. It worked for another two years.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

malmoaviation

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:11 pm

Yesterday I was at an airshow in Northern Sweden. Me and my mother were going there by car, and it was a long trip. Later at the evening, when we were at our gliding club, a friend to me asked me

"Micke, were you at the airshow today?
- Yes, I was there.
- Did you dont see the red Cessna 172 there?
- No... were you flying it?
- Yes, I was, and you could have been flying to the show with me instead of going there by car"

It was only a Cessna trip, but you know how it feels. Well, I did buy a scale model of the 380 (1:144) there  Smile

saxdiva

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:43 pm