rjpieces

What Would The US Response Have Been Today?

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:11 am

Watching the news today, I couldn't help but wonder what the US response would have been had these terrorist acts been carried out...I can barely fathom the thought of ten trans-atlantic flights being downed, it would have been similiar in casulaties to 9/11 but probably much worse in effect.

And in this case, there would be no address to attack back...It's not like after 9/11 where Afghanistan was the refuge of the terrorists and was a natural country to attack in response. The only thing I could see the US having done is stepping up plans for regime change in Syria and Iran. What else could we have possibly done in response to a massive terrorist attack by Muslims of British origin?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Mir

RE: What Would The US Response Have Been Today?

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):
And in this case, there would be no address to attack back...It's not like after 9/11 where Afghanistan was the refuge of the terrorists and was a natural country to attack in response.

Of course there'd be a return address. You find out where the terrorists recieved aid, training or shelter, and deal with those countries appropriately. Just like 9/11.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
You find out where the terrorists recieved aid, training or shelter, and deal with those countries appropriately.

Let's see now, that would be the U.K.
International Homo of Mystery

cosec59

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
that would be the U.K.

So the US had no input?
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 3):
So the US had no input?

My point is that you can't always blame governments for the actions of their citizens.

cosec59

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
My point is that you can't always blame governments for the actions of their citizens.

Well it didn't come across that way

Mir

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:34 am

I'm pretty sure the UK did not train, shelter or give aid to them. If the UK knew about them and had turned a blind eye, then I think some sort of response (not necessarily military) would be appropriate. Obviously, that's not the case.

But when you have international terror networks, there is more than one country involved. The UK isn't the only player in this.

-Mir

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:35 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 5):
Well it didn't come across that way

My apologies.

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
I'm pretty sure the UK did not train, shelter or give aid to them.

Then why did you suggest that we:

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
deal with those countries appropriately

The implication was that wherever these people came from, their home countries should be "dealt with". Well, they were U.K. citizens. The implication was clear.

cosec59

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
I'm pretty sure the UK did not train, shelter or give aid to them.

I'm afraid that due to our lackadaisical approach we may well have given shelter and aid

Falcon84

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:44 am

There would have been a response, but not immediately, as with Afghanistan. It would have taken some time to find out where this originated-although I think most of us with a shred of sense have a good idea where that could be.

If it could be determined, then God help whoever did it, be it simply Al Qaeda, or if it were someone like Iran.

With this president in office, it would have been a massive response.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ltbewr

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:52 am

I think first of all, all flights in/out and around the USA would have been grounded or forced to land immediately, just like 9/11. All airlines in the air would have told everybody they absolutely cannot leave their seats, even to go to the bathroom, even if several hours of travel until landing. Everyone upon landing would have to be screened as the left the aircraft, perhaps on the taxiways. Beyond that is unthinkable.

airxliban

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:54 am

Whether we want to believe it or not the UK has become a sort of a nerve centre for Islamic terrorism through both British appeasement and in some ways, the unintentional fostering of it: or at least, providing the sea where militant Islam can swim. It's hardly surprising that such an attack was conceived and planned out of the United Kingdom. They don't call it Londonistan for nothing.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Mir

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
The implication was that wherever these people came from, their home countries should be "dealt with". Well, they were U.K. citizens. The implication was clear.

That was certainly not my intent. As you said, governments cannot be held responsible for the actions of their own citizens - they can only be held responsible if they willingly allow those actions to take place. I think it should be clear that the UK does not willingly allow terrorists to operate in the country. Doesn't mean that the UK is terrorist-free, but they are actively hunted down, and those that are caught are dealt with strongly by the authorities, which is really all one can ask for.

Other countries in the world, however, do willingly allow terrorists to operate within their borders, and I'd be shocked if there wasn't some connection between at least one of those countries and the plots today. Those are the countries that would need to be dealt with.

-Mir

photopilot

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:03 am

Stop and think this through for a second. If 10 trans-Atlantic flights drop off the radar scopes at aproximately the same times, well of course the administrations of many countries would know that "something" had happened. But WHAT exactly? Would they suspect bombs? Suicide bombers? Bombs on timers (a-la-Lockerbie)? Much would have depended if any Mayday calls had gotten out in the seconds between explosion and crash.

Right now we know what these arseholes were planning. But if it had happened, then EVERYTHING would have been pure conjecture till some sort of factual answers could be found. Look at how long it too to find out what exactly happened to Air India 20 years ago when it disappeared off the coast of Ireland. It was months before they put the story together, and that was mostly because of the Narita Japan explosion that gave them the hint.

And even when the truth finally came out, what could the USA do? Well lots of huff and puff and rhetoric, but bomb England.... hardly!!!

Schoenorama

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
If it could be determined, then God help whoever did it

Why? I think we all agree 9/11 was Bin Laden's job, yet he's still 'alive and kickin'. Didn't Bush promise to find him?

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
With this president in office, it would have been a massive response.

He would probably invade Iran, despite the fact that (now) there appear to be links to Pakistan.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
Other countries in the world, however, do willingly allow terrorists to operate within their borders, and I'd be shocked if there wasn't some connection between at least one of those countries and the plots today.

Well then, why don't we do that. Identify and contain. Nip this stuff in the bud. Don't let it spread around the world.

Name names. Name a few of "those countries" you're sure are financing and encouraging this behavior and what should be done.

Give specific examples, please.

cosec59

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 16):
Name a few of "those countries" you're sure are financing and encouraging this behavior and what should be done.

The Bush administartion is financing Israel.

RobertNL070

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 9):
due to our lackadaisical approach

I read that the arrrest of these 21 suspects is the culmination of months of intensive surveillence by the police and MI5. New intelligence gathered in the last few days precipitated their arrest.

The fact that they are UK born-and-bred terrorists is extremely insiduous.

bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

AGM100

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:27 am

What a great question, unfourtanalty the "enlightned" world would no doubt blame the US and Israel first. That being said, the sane world would hopefully unite enough to bring pressure on the Islamic governemnts to act.

Although given the current pasivist wave of thought blinding most of Europe and the left wing most likly nothing would happen.

We should know by now that the Arab world will of course condem the action to the press while dimissing it as the fringe. It is time that the muslim governemnts do what they need to condem and act against the ideas of the Jihad.

Another thought would be for the west to be united enough to issue a warning to the Arab League/ muslim powers. " In the event of another attack on the west by agents working in the name of Islam". The western governemnts wil hold stricktly responsible ... ( a list) A/B/C/D. The Western coalition will reserve the right to act against these governemnts as warranted and in balance to the level of damages recieved.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:33 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 19):
That being said, the sane world would hopefully unite enough to bring pressure on the Islamic governemnts to act.

Against ... whom? Let's be upfront about this. People keep talking in whispers about a boogie man that needs decapitating. Name it/him.

Mir

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 14):
Right now we know what these arseholes were planning. But if it had happened, then EVERYTHING would have been pure conjecture till some sort of factual answers could be found.

Good point.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 16):
Name a few of "those countries" you're sure are financing and encouraging this behavior

Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are the two big ones in my mind. Dealing with them is difficult - Pakistan is a nuclear power and Saudi Arabia has the magic liquid. There's no quick military solution for dealing with them, there's going to have to be long-term diplomatic pressure in place for them to get around to changing things.

There's obviously going to be an investigation into this, and more specifics will become available. But Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are the two countries I'm worried about most, with Iran behind them. But at least we're being tough on Iran.

-Mir

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 21):
Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are the two big ones in my mind.

Okay, in your first post you suggested there would be an appropriate "return address".

What, in your opinion, is an appropriate return address against Pakistan and Saudi Arabia for today's events?

AirWillie6475

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:49 am

Thank god these guys were stupid. I can't believe terrorists would try the aviation route again with all the securities. Liquid explosives? These guys were geniuses, like security hasn't thought of that before. Hopefully the media will forget about this one because airlines are suffering enough, the last thing they need is cancellations from customers because of concern from something that didn't happen.

dl021

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
You find out where the terrorists recieved aid, training or shelter, and deal with those countries appropriately.

No...I don't think that the UK is where they came from. They ran there just like they ran here. There are some UK born radical Islamists, but the majority are people who emigrated there to take advantage of the system.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
deal with those countries appropriately

I'd say the home countries are the ones the radical leaders came from.

The UK has hamstrung itself with political correctness, like us in many ways, and has allowed extremist mullahs and imams to preach violence and hatred while claiming protection and even welfare benefits under UK law. The authorities there have worked to prevent this, but it's difficult when they're accused of racism every time they work to put down the psychos.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

cosec59

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 23):

You seem to have missed the point. These individuals were by no means stupid.They have once again brought the threat of terrorism in the skies back to the forefront of people's minds

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 24):
The authorities there have worked to prevent this, but it's difficult when they're accused of racism every time they work to put down the psychos.

Well let's be honest here. Whom do we go after. Those who give direct or indirect aid and protection?

Emirates773ER

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting BBC here:

"A senior Pakistani security official told the AFP news agency that Pakistani intelligence agencies helped British authorities foil the plot.

Foreign Office spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said: "Pakistan played a very important role in uncovering and breaking this international terrorist network.

"There were some arrests in Pakistan which were coordinated with arrests in the UK."

It Pakistan would not have been proactive in their approach you would have seen 10 planes blown apart pretty soon.
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Leskova

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:05 am

For more reasons than the relief of not seeing news reports about several airliners downed by bombs, I am glad that we will - in all likelihood - not be seeing any type of military response to the events of today.
Smile - it confuses people!

Falcon84

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 27):
It Pakistan would not have been proactive in their approach you would have seen 10 planes blown apart pretty soon.

You could be right. Sounds like someone, this time, got some good intel, or so it seems. And it could have saved lots of lives.
Work Right, Fly Hard

haggis79

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 28):
For more reasons than the relief of not seeing news reports about several airliners downed by bombs, I am glad that we will - in all likelihood - not be seeing any type of military response to the events of today.

Leskova, welcome as the first user on my R/U list.
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

AirWillie6475

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 25):
skies back to the forefront of people's minds

Unless they live in France or Germany, people don't really need to be reminded. Hopefully these guys were nothing more than amateurs because, liquid explosives are not that impressive.

Banco

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 24):
No...I don't think that the UK is where they came from. They ran there just like they ran here. There are some UK born radical Islamists, but the majority are people who emigrated there to take advantage of the system.

No, they're not. This is the frightening thing. I've posted elsewhere that British race relations have always been viewed as a beacon for how to do it. We could look at problems the US would have and think how well we'd managed it. God, how could we have got it so wrong? Were we complacent? Maybe, but the thing is these people are young, they will have been born and bred in this country.

The vast, vast, vast majority of second or third generation immigrants, be they Muslim, Hindu, Sikh or any other religion, have assimilated beautifully into British society. We don't have ghettoes, there is no exclusively non-white area of the UK, and people of any creed or colour fit well into this country.

And yet...

At the same time we've managed to produce people this radical. They are few in number, sure. But we can't believe they are isolated cases. We have to find out why this is happening, but I have to be honest: I don't think we have a clue what's gone wrong.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

VSlover

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:12 am

this really sorta throws the whole bush concept of "were fighting the terrorists over there so we dont have to fight them here" out of whack, no?

AirWillie6475

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 33):
this really sorta throws the whole bush concept of "were fighting the terrorists over there so we dont have to fight them here" out of whack, no?

You guys need to protect your own country, you want us to protect you too? That was a statement ment of our country.

BMIFlyer

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:15 am

A nationwide groundstop / aircraft grounding  stirthepot 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

dl021

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 35):

A nationwide groundstop / aircraft grounding

I don't think so. We have responded to this threat by doing precisely what we're doing.

I'm pretty sure you're kidding here, but others sometimes jump to the WPEI scenario too easily.

("Worst Possible Environment Imaginable....that's all you had to say...Worst Possible Environment Imaginable")

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
Well let's be honest here. Whom do we go after. Those who give direct or indirect aid and protection?

You've got a great point. I say we bomb the hell out of Iran and Syria for starters, you in on that?

Quoting Leskova (Reply 28):

What if we found that the people that funded this were in a particular area? Would you be against military response?

VSlover

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 34):
You guys need to protect your own country, you want us to protect you too? That was a statement ment of our country.

oh, sorry. i'm in the US/and American--I just like the scottish flag.

AeroWesty

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 36):
I say we bomb the hell out of Iran and Syria for starters, you in on that?

Hmm, so what do we bomb the hell out of over there? (I expect either a list or having someone say I forgot to see the sarcasm in it.)

Earlier people were calling to "deal with" Pakistan when Pakistan's efforts helped thwart these attacks. I'm surprised Falcon didn't call himself a terrorist-hugger for having to have to praise them.

I still haven't seen anyone come up with real concrete targets of opportunity, nor reasonable ways in which to deal with these threats on a worldwide basis. Plenty of bandwidth here, so someone please come up with something we can get behind if you know what it is. I'm out for a few hours, and will check back later to see if anyone's come up with anything.

cosec59

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 34):
, you want us to protect you too?

The US protecting any country other than their own? I don't think so.
This world will be a much safer place when Bush is retired

dl021

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:42 am

I say we bomb the military airfields of Iran pour encourager les autres.

Tell them that for every terrorist attack the rest of the world suffers we will bomb to obliteration another facility, and we take out the nuclear facilities right away.

Do the same with Syria and any other nation that we know is supporting terrorists of one sort or another.

I'm almost serious here.

jaysit

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:53 am

So, it appears that Bush and Cheney knew of these planned attacks . . . LAST FRIDAY.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060810...britainattacksairline_060810185330

Snow said Bush first learned in detail about the plot on Friday, and received two detailed briefings on it on Saturday and Sunday, as well as had two conversations about it with British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

But a senior White House official said that the British government had not launched its raid until well after Cheney held a highly unusual conference call with reporters to attack the Democrats as weak against terrorism.

If this is true, then I'm beyond stunned. Even for this administration, its beyond the pale. If the protagonists of this plot were fully known last Friday, then what the hell was the Blair govt doing for 6 days? If this was so dire, why weren't the over-the-top warnings and cancellations put into action a week ago?

I guess we just have to wait and see what answers we get. If we get them at all.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

haggis79

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:56 am

What if we found that the people that funded this were in a particular area? Would you be against military response?

And what if we found there just IS no country that funded this plot? I mean, the ingredients for building liquid explosives are easily available in your average grocery store... the recepies easily available on the internet... so all it needs is some people evil (and I mean evil, as blinded is too much of excusing them) enough to put the whole plot together... could be easily done by any group of (most likely muslim) students/workers/whomever with the same view of the world and goals - no need of any additional funding or encouragement.
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

BMIFlyer

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:57 am

Kidding

Yes, i'm kidding  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 41):
If this is true, then I'm beyond stunned. Even for this administration, its beyond the pale. If the protagonists of this plot were fully known last Friday, then what the hell was the Blair govt doing for 6 days? If this was so dire, why weren't the over-the-top warnings and cancellations put into action a week ago?

I guess we just have to wait and see what answers we get. If we get them at all.

The group was under surveillance since December. Apparently, they hadn't even booked their tickets yet. It seems pretty ignorant to think that the authorities weren't fully aware and prepared for any move. They wouldn't have gotten on an airplane.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Banco

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 41):
If this was so dire, why weren't the over-the-top warnings and cancellations put into action a week ago?

Because they wanted to catch all of them. So they were tracking them until they were forced to make a move to ensure public safety. I do not believe for one second that a government, ANY government in a democratic society would risk such an atrocity. They moved when they had to, and the idea that the British police and security services base their decision on when to make that move on an American political briefing is ludicrous.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

jaysit

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:15 am

You've got a great point. I say we bomb the hell out of Iran and Syria for starters, you in on that?

And you have evidence that today's bizarre happenings were created by Syria and/or Iran? Or are we again using the Iraq war evidence standard? Or are we just slipping into some sort of Toby Keith song?

Maybe we should just bomb Saudi Arabia, since its the wellspring of radical Islamic fundamentalism. The Wahabbi sect and its brand of Islamic fundamentalism make the Iranian mullahs look like the Swedes.

Do you really think that Iran or Syria or the Wahabbis are dumb enough to create some sort of paper trail leading directly to their respective governments? They don't even have to. What we have here is a multi-headed hydra. Money can be laundered through cells using the "hawala" system in any one of 50 countries - Mali, Nigeria, Egypt, Bangla Desh all have large Muslim populations where the governments would be blissfully unaware of what one cell composed of 50 people may be doing. Even if you tried to create an evidentiary trail back to the source, it would years.

Well, which area would that be? And who are we going to trust to find that out? The fantastic CIA? And if they miraculously did find the truth, would our government discard it like they did before? And if it once again stems back to that Yeti, Osama Bin Laden, well, we've been looking for him now for 5 years.

Maybe we should just drop several big nuclear bombs on all of the Mideast.

While we're at it, lets hit Indonesia and Morocco too. And lets not forget Nigeria and Madagascar. I mean, there have to be one or two fundie cells there as well.

But in the end, I don't think there would have been a US response today, because there wouldn't have been a large scale attack. It was essentially foiled - 6 days ago.

Its like you don't even know what to believe anymore in this whole cycle. At one end we have insane brainwashed young men willing to kill for a dime mostly from countries on our payroll, and then we have a duplicitous shadowy government (our own) incapable of honesty. On some days, it feels like a no-win situation. We're basically screwed - not only by Islamic fanatics, but also by our own government.

jaysit

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 40):
I say we bomb the military airfields of Iran pour encourager les autres.

Hon, the last person who spoke French in Iran was the hapless Shah and his fabulous wife. Gosh, those really were the days. The lovely Farah Diba was so much better than these flea bitten Mullahs, and she looked so svelte stepping out of an Iran Air 707 on a trip to Paris, but I digress.

I take it that we're still on the topic of the foiled liquid bomb plans, right? And that we haven't segueway'd into the topic of Iranian support for Hezbollah or Hamas? Because the latter is well known with evidence to back it up (the crazy Iranian President flaunts it), while Iranian complicity in the former is just a figment in everyone's angry imagination for now.

Besides, if it were so easy to bomb Iranian airfields, Israel would have done it by now. But they're much too smart to do so.

halls120

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 45):
Because they wanted to catch all of them. So they were tracking them until they were forced to make a move to ensure public safety. I do not believe for one second that a government, ANY government in a democratic society would risk such an atrocity. They moved when they had to, and the idea that the British police and security services base their decision on when to make that move on an American political briefing is ludicrous.

Not only do I believe we would NEVER ask the UK police to base their take down decision on US politics, the Brits would be the last ones to do it if we asked.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 47):
Besides, if it were so easy to bomb Iranian airfields, Israel would have done it by now. But they're much too smart to do so.

Actually, it would be very easy to bomb their airfields. The only reason the Israelis haven't done it yet is that such an act would be militarily useless.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

jaysit

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 48):
Actually, it would be very easy to bomb their airfields. The only reason the Israelis haven't done it yet is that such an act would be militarily useless.

Exactly.

Iran doesn't use its airfields to influence its vassal organizations (Hamas, Hezbollah, etc.).

What they do is twist an already twisted ideology and fund other organizations.

Btw, getting away from all the political chatter on here, I found this very funny (especially since I know only too well how insane security check-in lines at Dulles can be)

At Dulles International Airport near Washington, one traveler reported that screeners were also making passengers remove all food items from their carry-on bags for inspection, and one passenger was told to peel her banana.

Source: The NYT.