rootsair

Have You Tasted Splenda?

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:12 am

I reduced my sugar consumption in my coffee and tea drastically since a year but the tea or coffee tasted so bland because my taste buds were too used to the sugar test. i tested quite a few sustitutes but they were more sour than sweet.
However,when I went to Costa Rica last december, I discovered a new miracle... Splenda!
Quite a few products in CR are imported from the US, so I guess you can find in in the US and in most of Latin America. However, I still haven't found such a thing in Switzerland. Thus I get a pack send my mail by my mom every now and then.

what do my fellow a.netters think about Splenda?

I just love it !
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Cadet57

RE: Have You Tasted Splenda?

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:25 am

You are aware that that shit is made with bleach. Right?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

coyoteguy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:25 am

Yes, here in the US and in England it is very popular. Allegedly it is 'safe' (unlike Sweet n Low, Equal, etc) as it is made from sugar rather than from chemicals. It doesn't have an aftertaste either.

I love it too, I use it in coffee all the time, plus you can buy it in bigger boxes or jars, and use it in cooking instead of sugar.

I'm surprised you can't buy it in Switzerland yet.

ThePRGuy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:29 am

I'd rather keep my intake of Aspartame and Phenalaline tied into Coke Zero, and use normal sugar for other sweetening purposes.
One guy can only handle so much crap
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

KROC

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:45 am

Tastes all the same too me. I have no beef with it.

TWFirst

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Coyoteguy (Reply 2):
I'm surprised you can't buy it in Switzerland yet.

Maybe the Swiss know something we don't.

My mom likes Splenda... she's diabetic.

I heard it's fun to snort.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:46 am

I use it in coffee, french toast etc. It taste fine to me.
Go big or go home

coyoteguy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 5):
Maybe the Swiss know something we don't.

LOL well you could be right. Like I said, it is 'allegedly' safe, but of course in my other post on here I am talking about not believing everything you are told... so it could just be excellent marketing. Oh well, probably doesn't matter anyway. Our great leaders will take us to armageddon before we have time to die from any splenda related disease.

alphafloor

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:58 am

At first I thought it was condoms...  Wink
Whatever

CastleIsland

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:01 am

it is made from sugar rather than from chemicals

I always suspected that our friend sucrose wasn't really a chemical.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

PPVRA

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:03 am

yuck 
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

yooyoo

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:07 am

We use it at work all the time for coffee and are very pleased with it.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Nancy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:46 am

I like it, but if you use it for cooking use less because it is sweeter; even though they say it is a 1:1 replacement.

srbmod

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:55 am

I use it as well in coffee and in tea. Quite a few diet soft drinks have switched from using aspartame to sucralose (Diet 7-Up, Pepsi One, Diet Shasta, many private label soda sold in stores, Diet Rite, Hansen's just to name a few), as have many other products like Torani Sugar Free flavoring syrups. In some cases, it has been used in a mix with Ace-K or high fructose corn syrup since sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar.

It is a bit more expensive than aspartame because Tate & Lyle still holds the patent rights on Splenda. Once that patent expires, you'll see generic versions of it on the market.

AerospaceFan

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:36 am

So this stoner wakes up one day, goes down to the kitchen, brews some coffee, and reaches over to get some artificial sweetener. Sadly, in his mind-altered state, he couldn't get the packages open without spilling their contents all over the table. Blurry-eyed and irritated, he looked down and -- voila -- he saw...

You guessed it....

Splenda in the grass.

More seriously: No, I haven't tried Splenda. I'm a traditional sugar type of guy.

[Edited 2006-08-10 23:37:59]
What's fair is fair.

bongo

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:10 am

Splenda´s taste is very nice and better than aspartame. Also I tend to think is better for your health.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

tootallsd

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:44 am

Yes, here in the US and in England it is very popular. Allegedly it is 'safe' (unlike Sweet n Low, Equal, etc) as it is made from sugar rather than from chemicals. It doesn't have an aftertaste either.

There is no science to support calling Equal / Canderel / Aspartame unsafe.

TLG

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:09 pm

I am a diabetic so I use it all the time. I love Splenda! I never had a problem with Equal though. Even Sweet & Low is fine if I don't get too much of it at one time, as it has somewhat of a bitter aftertaste.

-TLG

TWFirst

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:19 pm

So I have a question for everybody...

What's the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke w/Splenda???
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Touchdown777

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 14):
I'm a traditional sugar type of guy.

Ahh ... a true American.

T7
Made in the USA

Alias1024

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:25 pm

I haven't tried it yet, and I plan to stick with sugar. I try to avoid putting man made chemicals in my body when possible. Also, honey works great in tea.

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 16):
There is no science to support calling Equal / Canderel / Aspartame unsafe.

I wouldn't say that. There are hundreds of studies both for and against the safety fof aspartame. The FDA approval was pretty shady as well, leading many to question the safety of the product. Fairly interesting reading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

srbmod

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:31 pm

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 18):
What's the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke w/Splenda???

Coke Zero is sweetened using a blend of Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K) and Aspartame while Diet Coke w/Splenda uses and blend of Ace-K and Sucralose (Splenda).

rootsair

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 21):
Coke Zero is sweetened using a blend of Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K) and Aspartame while Diet Coke w/Splenda uses and blend of Ace-K and Sucralose (Splenda).

Which one tastes better according to you ?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Aeroflot777

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:04 pm

I've heard that Splenda is bad for you, but i really wouldn't know. Since i don't like sugar, I'm not really interested in finding out the details. For me, tea cannot have sugar in it. It completely ruins the taste!! I'm a huge tea drinker, and love to taste various teas. With sugar they are completely ruined.

Aeroflot777

ThePRGuy

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 23):
I've heard that Splenda is bad for you

As far as I remember, it contains high levels of Aspartame and other sweeteners, which according to 'scientific research' can lead to mutations and cancer.
Then again, they say that roll on and spray on deodorant causes cancer.
Everything these days seems to...

Alias1024

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 24):
As far as I remember, it contains high levels of Aspartame and other sweeteners, which according to 'scientific research' can lead to mutations and cancer.

Splenda uses sucralose, not aspartame.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

deltadc9

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 23):
For me, tea cannot have sugar in it. It completely ruins the taste!! I'm a huge tea drinker, and love to taste various teas. With sugar they are completely ruined.

A lot of people including my wife agree, but on the other hand on the lable of Earl Grey they tell you to enhance the taste, add sugar, but I add honey.

For iced tea I love it because it doesnt take over like sugar, you can still taste the tea. In the south they have this stuff called "sweet tea" that is just too much and sugar does not dissolve in cold tea, so Splenda is the perfect sweetener IMHO.

Splenda also is really the first artificial sugar you can actually cook and bake with (successfully) which is huge for diabetics and people like me that eliminate sugar to control thier weight.

I think it is the closest thing to sugar yet.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

srbmod

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 22):
Which one tastes better according to you ?

Coke Zero, as it's based on the formula for Coca-Cola; Diet Coke with Splenda uses the Diet Coke formula.

AerospaceFan

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:58 am

Speaking of various sugary substances, Coca-Cola (Classic -- the one and only, and before it even had the qualifier "Classic") hasn't tasted the same to me every since they changed the original sweetener.

The original Coca-Cola tasted tangier. Coca-Cola (Classic) started substituting the original sweetner with sugar cane extract or something, and ever since then, it's been too sweet. Too much like Pepsi. (This was in the late 1960's or early 1970's, I think.)

I shudder to imagine what Coca-Splenda would taste like.  

[Edited 2006-08-11 22:11:53]
What's fair is fair.

redngold

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:08 am

You could call it "faux iced tea" since what I get is a 4C brand that is both decaffeinated and made with Splenda. I've been able to drastically increase my intake of this stuff because it doesn't give me headaches or raise my blood sugar.

Yummm...
Up, up and away!

srbmod

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 28):
Speaking of various sugary substances, Coca-Cola (Classic -- the one and only, and before it even had the qualifier "Classic") hasn't tasted the same to me every since they changed the original sweetener.

The original Coca-Cola tasted tangier. Coca-Cola (Classic) started substituting the original sweetner with sugar cane extract or something, and ever since then, it's been too sweet. Too much like Pepsi. (This was in the late 1960's or early 1970's, I think.)

You can still get Coke sweetened with sugar cane. Go to any store that caters to those from South of the Border and you'll find Coke and other soft drinks imported in from Mexico.

What's interesting is that during WWII, Pepsi and other soft drink companies were forced to use high fructose corn syrup due to the rationing on sugar. Coca-Cola, on the other hand, was not subject to sugar rationing as they were supplying our forces around the world.

AerospaceFan

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 30):
You can still get Coke sweetened with sugar cane. Go to any store that caters to those from South of the Border and you'll find Coke and other soft drinks imported in from Mexico.

Sweeeet!  Smile I've got to remember that.

If only we could buy it here in the 'States. Even if it's just in specialty stores.

Heck, we've got something like 250 kinds of soda, and no original Classic Coke? Incredible!
What's fair is fair.

srbmod

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 31):
If only we could buy it here in the 'States. Even if it's just in specialty stores.

You can, just about every gas station or grocery in areas where Mexicans live you can find it. These imports are a bit of a gray area, as some local Coke and Pepsi distributors have gotten a bit up in arms about these gray market drinks. Some of them, have actually gone as far as to officially import them in.

AerospaceFan

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 32):
You can, just about every gas station or grocery in areas where Mexicans live you can find it.

That's extremely helpful -- I appreciate it! I can't wait to see if I can find some. It's been years since I've had that wholesome, original taste of the real Real Thing.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

ThePRGuy

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 25):
Splenda uses sucralose, not aspartame.

Oh Right, thanks.
I must have been thinking of 'Sweet 'n Low'
Alex

srbmod

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 34):
I must have been thinking of 'Sweet 'n Low'

Which is a blend of saccharin and dextrose in the US, but made with cyclamate instead of saccharin in Canada as saccharin is a banned except for diabetic use (Interestingly enough, cyclamate is a banned in the US.) Saccharin is half as sweet as sucralose and there's that bitter metallic aftertaste to boot.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:55 am

I've tasted Glenda.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail