ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Best BBQ Food

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:23 pm

OK - so what food is best to grill on the BBQ?

Also, what is everyones favourite 'hot sauce'

Silly

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

bhmbaglock

RE: Best BBQ Food

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:01 pm

It's not really BBQ unless it's pork in this part of the country. Specific cut wise, it's a toss up between cooking a shoulder or loin back ribs.

Tabacso is the standard for hot sauces and doesn't disappoint but there are a lot of other good ones out there, I particularly like Ring of Fire.
Where are all of my respected members going?

ORFflyer

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Boston Butts - Marinated and basted while cooking with a vinegar based BBQ sauce. (Eastern NC style)

777DadandJr

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:06 pm

Best IMO is a slow roasted beef brisket. Cooked right, it is the most wonderful, melt in your mouth grilled food!

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

yooyoo

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:29 pm

Sorry, i don't have anything specific, but anything done properly on a BBQ is heaven to me. BBQing in winter is a little tough but well worth it !!

I will be doing plenty of cooking this weekend.... party for my 3 year old then after that a street party with the neighbours !!! woo hoo good times !!

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 3):

i haven't had that in a while...  drool 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

checkraiser

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Easily, without a doubt, pulled pork shoulder is the best. If done properly it doesn't need sauce.

Take a drive down any two lane highway in the South and you'll be sure to find it at roadside stands everywhere.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

EasternSon

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:34 pm

I do a pork tenderloin that I marinate in orange juice, white wine vinegar, teryaki and honey for about a day and a half. I grill it most of the way through, split it from end to end about 3/4 of the way through, pack it with cranberry sauce and brie cheese and let it cook the rest of the way off the heat.

I cut it into medallions and serve it over wild rice with grilled asparagus on the side. Very nice with a Pinot Noir. It never fails to disappoint.

As for Hot Sauce, I found this stuff called "Holy City Heat." It's a habanero hot sauce, but not overwhelming. It's made with a base of sweet potato, so it's got great flavor.

Cheers!
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

rjpieces

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:41 pm

I haven't been exposed to great southern BBQ food unfortunately, but I can never go wrong with ribs or brisket. I actually had the best brisket of my life a few months ago...I've been meaning to ask my friend for the recipe for the sauce that was on it.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

express1

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:49 pm

the normal food thats put on the BBQ but i really like the salmon stakes.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 3):
beef brisket

Never heard of Brisket, what is it?

Personally, a nice spicy lamb kebab is fabulous when BBQd
Alex

777DadandJr

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 9):
Never heard of Brisket, what is it?

Brisket is a large shoulder cut of beef. It's traditionally a less tender cut, but it is fantastically marbled. Therfore, a long, slow cooking process will render it absolutely delicious.
It's kind of like when you cook a pork roast in a slow cooker, it just falls apart when it's done.
Brisket is kind of like that. It is the most tender and juicy piece of beef you can imagine when cooked just right!

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 10):
Brisket is kind of like that. It is the most tender and juicy piece of beef you can imagine when cooked just right!

I'm imagining that its also a relatively cheap cut as it is not a prime cut?
Alex

777DadandJr

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 11):

It is actually a cheaper cut, price per pound, that is. But, it is a large cut of meat, 3-6lbs, so total cost can be high.

And to correct myself from my earlier post, the brisket is actually a breat cut, not shoulder. Sorry.

This is not the cut of meat to by for a quick dinner on the patio. It's large, will feed alot of people and needs a bit of pre-planning. It will take a few hours to slow roast, but will be worth it.

Plan it for a patio party with your friends, with some roasted sweet corn and beer. Or, cook on on the weekend, and you can have 3-5 meals the rest of the week.

Russ

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 12):
This is not the cut of meat to by for a quick dinner on the patio. It's large, will feed alot of people and needs a bit of pre-planning. It will take a few hours to slow roast, but will be worth it.

I'm going to look into this, we have a very good butchers near by, I shall enquire as it sounds delicious

checkraiser

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 13):
I'm going to look into this, we have a very good butchers near by, I shall enquire as it sounds delicious

A word of caution.

I think brisket is mostly a Texas thing. I've found it difficult to do "right." It's very fatty.

I suggest trying it elsewhere to see if you like it before you try to cook one by the seat of your pants.

If you don't care for real fatty meat brisket is not for you.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 14):
If you don't care for real fatty meat brisket is not for you.

Oooh no I love properly fatty meat  Smile

777DadandJr

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:37 am

I think brisket is mostly a Texas thing

You think? Ask someone from NYC!

I've found it difficult to do "right

Agreed. However, it's not a difficult thing to master.

It's very fatty.

Yes, it is. But that is the beauty of slow cooking it. All of the flavor of meat is in the fat. When you slow roast a brisket, all that fat is rendered and distributed through the meat. not only does it come out tender and juicy, but oh so full of flavor!

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 13):

Don't be intimidated by brisket, PRGuy. Do the research and ask the questions about how to cook it properly, and you shall be rewarded.

When I get home, I will look up some of my info on cooking it, and IM you.

Russ

RayChuang

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:43 am

Best barbecue food depends on the type of barbecue you use.

If you're talking charcoal, then beef and sometimes chicken is the best choice. Fish comes out a bit better in regular gas grills.

If you're using the so-called infrared gas grill (where a gas flame heats a ceramic heating element), then all meats taste pretty good, mostly because infrared gas grills heat the meat more evenly than charcoal grills and at much higher temperatures than gas grills.  Smile

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 16):
When I get home, I will look up some of my info on cooking it, and IM you.

Thanks a lot, look forward to it  Smile

kalakaua

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:48 am

There's a difference between "BBQing" and "grilling". These terms are not interchangable... at least where I'm from.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

Continental

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:53 am

A rack of ribs for me!

RAPCON

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:25 am

1. Pig or ribs.
2. Sweet sauce (f**K that nasty NC vinegar crap)
3. Corn on the cob
4. Beans, beans, beans.
5. COLD BEER.

Where to find? Jimmy's Shack in Anacostia, MD. Just lock your valuables in the trunk, and make sure there are cops nearby. The joint is at the edge of the ghetto.
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

deltagator

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Thread starter):
OK - so what food is best to grill on the BBQ?

First off let's get your definition right. Using a grill is not BBQ no matter what the Yankees up North think. Using a grill is in fact grilling...go figure. BBQ is the use of smoke and low indirect heat over a long period of time to cook the meat.

I have a Oklahoma Joe's smoker at my house and use a mixture of oak, hickory, and assorted fruit woods to get a low burning fire going in the firebox. Using the dampers on the smoker box and the firebox I keep the temperature as close to 225F as I can.

Meats that I use include pork tenderloins, Boston butt (pork), beef brisket, and leg of lamb. Cook time is usually 1.5 hours per pound at 225F. The longer you cook it the more tender it will be in the end if you keep it moist. I have a spray gun that I fill with Shiner Bock beer and apple cider that I go in once an hour and spray down the meat. About halfway through the cooktime for that piece of meat I wrap the it loosely in aluminum foil so it doesn't get overly smoky (it will have absorbed a lot of smoke early on.)

Finally, when I do pull the meat out I let it sit for at least 20-30 minutes so the juices can spread back out through the carcass. You do it this way and it'll be like a slice of heaven on a plate.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 11):

It can be. I usually get 8-10 pound briskets at BJ's or Sam's Club for $16-$20.

One other thing to tell you folks...if you go to a BBQ joint and they put the sauce on it before they serve it to you they are trying to hide something.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 22):

First off let's get your definition right. Using a grill is not BBQ no matter what the Yankees up North think. Using a grill is in fact grilling...go figure. BBQ is the use of smoke and low indirect heat over a long period of time to cook the meat.

A grill rests over the coals or gas, therefore you barbeque food by grilling it over a different source of heat

deltagator

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:42 am

We'll agree to disagree on this one. I consider grilling when it is over direct heat. BBQ to me is through the use of indirect heat and the addition of smoke (though you do get some smoke in grilling.)

The key to BBQ is taking a crappy cut of meat (like brisket) and slow cooking it so the fat and connective tissue melt away flavoring the meat. The other key to BBQ is keeping that temperature low. Anything above 250 to me is roasting and the juices begin to boil out of the meat. Grills get upwards of 400 to 500F and that is great for quick cooking but not for BBQ.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

garnetpalmetto

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:14 am

I prefer baby back ribs with a tangy tomato-based sauce - Memphis-style barbeque. Alas, the predominant barbeque in SC is pulled pork. In CAE itself, the sauce tends to be mustard based, which I'm not a fan of.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

deltagator

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 25):
In CAE itself, the sauce tends to be mustard based, which I'm not a fan of.

Heathen! I love that stuff!

srbmod

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:50 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 25):
In CAE itself, the sauce tends to be mustard based, which I'm not a fan of.

Isn't the dividing line between the yellow sauce and the red sauce not too far from Columbia?

In the Southern US, pork is king. The place I've been eating at for pretty much my entire life (Dean's) has been in business for over 60 years. The third generation is now running the place, and things are the same as they were when they started. Chopped pork with a thin sauce that has a little bit of a vinegary taste, brunswick stew, chips, and a drink. No ribs, no chicken, just straight forward BBQ.

I'll admit that over the last few years that I've begun to love brisket over pork. Some place here just don't know how to do it right. I ate at one place where it was more like a rump roast that had sauce put on it and was in pieces like a roast. Nothing like a good brisket, a smoked sausage and a brew.

deltagator

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 27):
Nothing like a good brisket, a smoked sausage and a brew.

Mmmmmm....Texas style BBQ. Good eating.

You will sometimes see the mustard sauce in the Augusta area but it is very regional to Columbia and the surrounding areas I've seen.

Swallow at the Hollow over here in Roswell north of Atlanta has mustard based, sweet KC tomato-molasses based and vinegary peppery eastern NC based sauces on each table.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 28):
Nothing like a good brisket, a smoked sausage and a brew.

Sounds delicious
My mouth is watering mmmmm

garnetpalmetto

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:54 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 27):
Isn't the dividing line between the yellow sauce and the red sauce not too far from Columbia?

Pretty much, SRB. You drive about an hour west to Aiken and you have a tomato based sauce. Half an hour west in Batesburg-Leesville you have Shealy's Barbeque who serves both Mustard and Vinegar-Pepper. Generally though if you divide the state into thirds on the diagonal you'll have tomato-based in the upper third, mustard in the middle, and vinegar-pepper in the lower third. Columbia's a bit of a nexus due to it being in the center of the state.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 26):
Heathen! I love that stuff!

Blame my non-South Carolinian parents for that one. The only mustard based sauce I can tolerate (and even then in small doses) is Sticky Finger's. The "king" of mustard-base around these parts is Maurice Bessinger, owner of Maurice's Piggy Park, who I boycott on principal due to his repugnant social/political views (ie, slavery was an acceptable institution that needs to be reinstituted because of its Biblical roots)
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

deltagator

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:17 am

I do love the Piggy Park but I didn't realize he had actually come out and said to reinstate slavery because of the Bible. That's just a little bit too far out there. I'm good with the State's Rights stand but he does take it too far. Anyways, back to BBQ...

I'm working with a neighbor of mine and we are doing a BBQ competition in Kennesaw tomorrow. For all you ATL based folks drop by (right across the street from the museum where the keep The General locomotive) and look for Nauti-que and the chubby guy in the Florida Gator hat.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 31):
I'm working with a neighbor of mine and we are doing a BBQ competition

I wish the british people would do more BBQ and food based competitions Big grin they are great

deltagator

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:12 pm

I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow evening or Sunday morning (East Coast time) of what we prepare for the contest and show you all the good stuff. Right now we are doing some sort of fruit cobbler, beef brisket, pork shoulder, baby back ribs, and yardbird (chicken.) I'm off to go make some sweet tomato/molasses (Kansas City style) sauce right now for the morning.

As a side note concerning Yankees...I will say that the Dinosaur BBQ up in Syracuse was very good when I was up there. Those guys must have learned BBQ down in the South. I think they have one in Rochester and now somewhere in Manhattan as well.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:39 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 33):
I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow evening or Sunday morning (East Coast time) of what we prepare for the contest and show you all the good stuff.

Yay!

All that food your doing sounds wonderful!
Alex

pawsleykat

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:41 pm

favourite food on BBQ - BBQ ribs, mmmmm
favourite hot sauce - Tabasco, or even a few Jalapenos on my roll.  hot   hot 

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

bhill

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:16 am

Ahem..one does not "Grill" BBQ..They are completely different types of preparing foods... BBQ is done "Low and Slow"..whilst Grilling is a much faster.

Cheers....

Baby Backs and Beef Brisket done Low and Slow are my favorites....
Carpe Pices

deltagator

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:09 am

Ok folks. Here are the oics from today's BBQ cookoff in Kennesaw. We were not selling food so we broke everything down after all the submissions and will be going back in a little while for the results and concert from a Jimmy Buffett tribute band. Hopefully everyone will get a little better educated about what true BBQ is after this photojourney. Enjoy! I know I sure did.

First off, since this site focuses on transportation I figured you could get a good look at the big CSX locomotives that were going by us all day (and night...though I was home slaving over a hot stove making sauce until 3AM. I made a thick sweet tomato and molasses based sauce with a variety of spices and brown sugar, honey, and maple syrup for sweetness. Not too sweet, not too spicy but you know you are eating something good when you taste it if I say so myself.

Second, to do true BBQ you need to be able to cook at low temperatures for long periods of time and the addition of smoke helps the process and the flavor as well. Here is the smoker rig that my neighbor has and we used for this contest. The firebox is off to the right and that is obviously where we build the fire using hickory, oak, and various fruitwoods like apple or pear. The meat is rubbed with a variety of spices and then put into the smoker. Eventually we wrap it in foil to hold in the juices and keep it from absorbing too much smoke. If you have never had real BBQ don't be surprised by the pink ring around the outer edges...that is the smoke ring and you want it there. It is oh so good! It is hard to see but there is an upright smoker at the next group behind us (in front of the hexagin shaped one) and it is a newer version of the Oklahoma Joe's one that I have at home. Mine is actually better because it was made with thicker iron before they sold out to New Braunfels and then Brinkman.

Here is picture with the door open and you can see the ribs in there and all the space to put other meats and such. This smoker has a plate at the bottom of the round portion that takes the smoke all the way to the far left side and then allows it to enter the smoke chamber before leaving through the chimney there on the right. Using the dampers we control the temp to right around 215-220F and throw another log on the fire now and then to keep it burning.

We had quite a nasty storm come through as we were plating the chicken to take it up for judging. The building in the background is the museum where they keep "The General" which was stolen during the War Between The States in the attempt to blow up and destroy train tracks in the South.

Coming down hard. Yuck!

Now on to the food...here's the chicken on the little Weber grill. These were the only things we didn't do in the smoker so I reluctantly call it BBQ though it was cooked for a while over indirect heat. We built the charcoal fire on both sides of the grill and then put the chicken over the cooler middle section. They were marinated in Italian dressing and then cooked. Somewhere through the cooking we dipped them in the sauce I made and then put them back on the grill to cook some more.

Here is the plating that we took to be judged. Next time we won't use pieces as big because it becomes too much for the box they provide you.

Now on to the ribs. These we smoked for a while and then put on the grill just long enough to baste them with some sauce and get a nice glaze on the top of them. We think they could have used another 30 minutes for perfection.

Here is the plating we gave to the judges.

Next came the pulled pork which is our specialty. This one we were very happy with the outcome. Hopefully the judges will like it as well. One thing we did here that I don't like was to put some sauce on the meat before serving. My motto is that if they give you the meat sauce on it they are trying to hide something. But, the judges said they wanted the meat with sauce so we did just a little bit and then gave them a small tub of the sauce I made to use on the side. This is the plating we gave to them with the pulled pork in the middle with some of the yummy caramelized outer crust around the edge.

Last came the beef brisket. This one was was smoke for 15 hours before we took it off the smoker. Here is it being cut.

And here is the presentation of it for the judges. Again with a little sauce because that is how they asked for it.

Well I hope I educated some of you on true southern BBQ and that you'll get down here and try it sometime. If done right it really is a slice of heaven. I'll let you all know if we win anything tonight. This was our first competition and it was against some folks who do it for a living so we've got our fingers crossed.

deltagator

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:03 am

Well, after it was all said and done we won third place in the Pork category. Between my neighbor's cooking and my sauce I think we've got something good here. Not too bad for first timers I think.

The funny thing is I got him into smoking and he has taken off with it while I spend too much time on planes and don't get to smoke as much these days. Maybe I need to find a less travel job.

garnetpalmetto

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:09 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 38):
Well, after it was all said and done we won third place in the Pork category. Between my neighbor's cooking and my sauce I think we've got something good here. Not too bad for first timers I think.

Congrats, DG! Tht sauce looks absolutely amazing. How much do you want for a jar to be shipped to CAE  Wink

Did you get a cahnce to sample any of the other winners to try to figure out what they did better/different?

deltagator

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:21 am

Thanks! We did get around and sample some of the others. This event was an interesting one because it was not a Kansas City BBQ Association sanctioned event. While it seems everyone did their best to go by those rules you did have the judges wanting sauce on the meat.

Lessons learned...

Chicken really is a pain because that sauce can burn so quickly. We lost one of the thighs to a burn mark in the sauce. One other thing might be not so much glaze on them and some way to make the skin a little bit crisper which that little Weber grill should help do. Back to the drawing board for refinement.

Pork...we need to refine the rub some more but the cooking was dead on. I want to refine the sauce just a little bit and perhaps let it cook longer and let those tastes permeate through it more. I think I want to treat it almost like an Italian red sauce with a lng simmer time on the stove.

Beef...Tough one to do and keep moist after cutting it. It tasted great but keeping it moist is the key. Personally I think this one should have been cooked longer. Perhaps upwards of 20 hours and with a little less fat on top so it all melts away during the cook time. As much as I like the beef it is the one that takes the longest.

Brunswick Stew...we didn't do this one today but want to in the future. We'll be tinkering with this one soon and seeing what we can come up with. Some of the ones we had today were either too sweet or too spicy. They need to be somewhere in between.

I'm also going to work on refining my mustard based sauce like you guys have over in CAE that I like so much. Maybe some of that Carolina Hash as well...that stuff rocks. Another one I want to work on is a White BBQ sauce that is an northern Alabama thing for chicken. Perhaps that on some yardbird would be good to try.

[Edited 2006-08-13 03:23:22]

Longhornmaniac

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:41 pm

Anyone ever been to Rudy's here in Texas? I swear, that has some of the best BBQ I've had anywhere in the world.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:27 pm

Sheek Kabab with Hot Garlic sauce.  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bhmbaglock

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:13 am

I'm reminded of that Pace commercial.

Quoting Kalakaua (Reply 19):
There's a difference between "BBQing" and "grilling". These terms are not interchangable... at least where I'm from.

What DG said!

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 22):

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 30):
The "king" of mustard-base around these parts is Maurice Bessinger, owner of Maurice's Piggy Park, who I boycott on principal due to his repugnant social/political views (ie, slavery was an acceptable institution that needs to be reinstituted because of its Biblical roots)

Reminds me of a BBQ place here called Ollie's. He was one of Bull Conner's buddies and tried to fight integration in his restaurant with a baseball bat. In the long run, he went out of business, and ironically the building is now used by a predominantly black church. Back to the sauce, I really like tomatoe based with a good hit of mustard as well.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 38):

Pretty good but you'll need to step up your game even more when you hit sanctioned competitions. Due to the need to accumulate points for their yearly totals, you'll rarely see one of the top 20 teams in a non-sanctioned event as they simply don't have the time. That said, every year or two, somebody new comes in and kicks the doors down and starts kicking ass so Good Luck!

Did you at least get the pork done before the rain came down? Nothing sucks more than trying to keep the heat correct in the cooker during a driving rain storm; it's impossible; even if you can keep the temp constant at your thermometer you can easily have a 30-40 degree temperature variation from one end of the cooker to the other. One hot tip, get some fire gloves so you can reach in the firebox and remove logs if needed. When the rain stops suddenly and the cooker temp jumps rapidly up beyond what you can control with the damper they're handy.

deltagator

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:36 am

I think brisket is mostly a Texas thing

BBQ brisket is a Texas thing. Corned Beef Brisket or cooked in a crock pot is a NY thing.

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 43):
Did you at least get the pork done before the rain came down?

We had both the pork and beef done before the rain hit. We had them wrapped in foil inside an insulated cooler (though no ice) to keep them warm and let the juices flow back to the outer edges.

Nothing sucks more than trying to keep the heat correct in the cooker during a driving rain storm; it's impossible;

Or in a heavy wind like I get at my house on top of a ridge.

One hot tip, get some fire gloves so you can reach in the firebox and remove logs if needed.

We have some welder's gloves and you can reach right into the fire with them.

Pretty good but you'll need to step up your game even more when you hit sanctioned competitions.

We know. We definitely have to get hitting on all cylinders if we want to win those sanctioned events. Don't expect to see us at Memphis In May or the Jack Daniel's BBQ Cookoff any time soon but maybe one day.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 37):
And here is the presentation of it for the judges. Again with a little sauce because that is how they asked for it.

That looks absolutely delicious.
I am now definitely going to somehow get a brisket cut Big grin
Congratulations on your 3rd place win!

bhmbaglock

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 44):
We had both the pork and beef done before the rain hit. We had them wrapped in foil inside an insulated cooler (though no ice) to keep them warm and let the juices flow back to the outer edges.

That's exactly the way we used to do it. Works very well.

Or in a heavy wind like I get at my house on top of a ridge.

That's also a problem but generally not quite as bad. Of course horizontal rain is the very worst of both worlds.

We know. We definitely have to get hitting on all cylinders if we want to win those sanctioned events. Don't expect to see us at Memphis In May or the Jack Daniel's BBQ Cookoff any time soon but maybe one day.

Cooking at MIM is a blast! You definitely have to be on top of your game as far as both cooking and drinking go before hitting that event but it's well worth it. Our team was invited to JD one year but unfortunately we had too many people with previous unchangeable commitments and weren't able to go. We qualified at the very end and simply didn't have time to get it all together as we weren't at all expecting it.

Our best efforts at MIM were 8th in Ribs and a couple of 1st place prizes for Anything Butt. Most of us aren't cooking competively anymore although one guy moved over to the Viking team. They've got a good deal as Viking pays all the expenses and provides a primo trailer with two custom cookers and a full set of Viking kitchen appliances including a dishwasher and about 40-50' of stainless steel cabinets to hold all their stuff. Even better, they buy the beer and booze which is not a neglible expense with this bunch.

If you ever hit one of the Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, or Huntsville area tournaments let me know if you need another hand.

deltagator

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 46):
If you ever hit one of the Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, or Huntsville area tournaments let me know if you need another hand.

We had looked at doing one the events in Huntsville earlier in the year but we were too late getting the entry in. Next year though we'll do our best to be there and give you a call. I went to high school in Huntsville so I always like going back there.

I'll check into the ones for Birmingham and Tuscaloosa (I've gotten into so much trouble in that town!) as well and let you know. The more hands the better for a couple of guys just having some fun.

RAPCON

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:29 am

Delta Gator,

That's some mighty fine looking food you boys cooked. Talk about "finger lickin' good!"

Well done!!! BTW, I love the rig that your buddy has. Thing of beauty!
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

garnetpalmetto

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:43 am

Well in honor of this thread, I went out for barbeque tonight. Went to Sticky Fingers and had the following:

Half rack of ribs with their Habanero Hot Barbeque sauce
Side of pulled pork doused in their Memphis Original sauce
House salad with barbeque ranch dressing (sounds off, but tasted GREAT)
Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Slice of pecan pie a'la mode

I'm so full, but it was so good. The Habanero Hot had a nasty way of sneaking up on you - at first, it's not so bad, a little vinegary taste, a little sweet taste, but then, wham! Regained feeling in my lips only after the ice cream on the pecan pie.